Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Be honest it's the tough games we seem do better in, although to win 2-3 of those be tricky alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This is our year :):)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

astradave wrote: »
    And with City and Chelsea playing each other, one less big team to worry about.

They'll probably both get through thanks to oil money. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

jayo26 wrote: »
    This is our year :):)

2F3013F600000578-0-image-a-34_1449626507417.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

An FA Cup win would be a massive shot to our arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd be nearly so tempted to take FA cup and 5th league. It's just been that long since we won anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I'd be nearly so tempted to take FA cup and 5th league. It's just been that long since we won anything...

4th all day long for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If we're talking FA Cup or 4th in the league, then its the league for me too.

Getting CL football is so important nowadays, and I hated being out of Europe last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

FA cup and Europa League, automatic CL qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FA cup and Europa League, automatic CL qualification.

Or "The Liverpool Double" as it's known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

got to be 4th all the time, a Manchester United without champions league football is a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

FA Cup for me. Wanna win something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I would love us to win the Europa league.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Has to be fourth. A horrible indication of what matters in the game nowadays but it is what it is.

It's not even close tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Transfer deadline day tomorrow, yeah? Can't believe we signed no one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Has to be fourth. A horrible indication of what matters in the game nowadays but it is what it is.

It's not even close tbh.

If we actually went out to try to win games rather than trying to not lose them,I don't see why 4th would be even a minimum.

I don't want us to turn into another Arsenal where getting 4th and having a healthy bank balance is the priority and being quite happy achieving that.

RobertKK wrote: »

we dont have a big enough squad to do well in it, it will cost us league points and 4th place for sure, in my opinion.

i know the winners get into the CL, but i think we will end up comprising our league position the longer we stay in it and we will end up getting knocked out sooner or late.

what happens i wonder if Spurs win it and get top 4, does that mean 5th place get in?

we dont have a big enough squad to do well in it, it will cost us league points and 4th place for sure, in my opinion.

i know the winners get into the CL, but i think we will end up comprising our league position the longer we stay in it and we will end up getting knocked out sooner or late.

what happens i wonder if Spurs win it and get top 4, does that mean 5th place get in?

We should be well capable of winning it. But not with LVG :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It's not even close tbh.

I really don't understand why anybody would pick a 4th place league finish over winning a trophy.

I get the arguments, how we are slaves to the money and need the prestige and all that guff, but at the end of the day are we not supposed to be football fans, do we not want our club to win trophies?

The 4th place finish thing is just another version of the Uefa cup conundrum, whereby teams push all year to get into europe, then when they are there they play second string sides so that they can concentrate on the league so that they can get into europe next season...

Thats us right now, pushing and pushing for europe and then when we get there we can't get past Wolfsburg. Fan-bloody-tastic isn't it. You would pass on a proper trophy for that?

Its all about the trophies folks, if not then what the hell are we fans for? The bean counters can celebrate the qualification paydays but the fans should be about the trophies. The real trophies, not the "4th place thanks for taking part" ones.

We should be well capable of winning it. But not with LVG :/

we are not. our squad is woeful in terms of squad quality and squad depth - we simply dont have enough players to fight on 3 fronts.

no matter who is our manger, we are not good enough to win it, the thursday, sunday, thursday turn around is too much for a squad like ours.

• Advertisement

I just want CL football next season.

This season we got in and made no use of it, going out at group stage is bad whether it is with LVG or Fergie.

we are not. our squad is woeful in terms of squad quality and squad depth - we simply dont have enough players to fight on 3 fronts.

no matter who is our manger, we are not good enough to win it, the thursday, sunday, thursday turn around is too much for a squad like ours.

Definitely disagree here. How many sides have a better first 11 that are left in the competition?

Can see your point in terms of playing so many games but in terms of talent we should be able to win it.

I just want CL football next season.

This season we got in and made no use of it, going out at group stage is bad whether it is with LVG or Fergie.

Definitely disagree here. How many sides have a better first 11 that are left in the competition?

Can see your point in terms of playing so many games but in terms of talent we should be able to win it.

thats irrelevent, when by the time april or may comes around, many of our first 11 could be tired/injured due to having played so many games.

whats going to happen for example if we are playing a Europa league game on a thursday night and we are playing Spurs/Leceister/City/Arsenal etc etc the following sunday?

we are going to have to rest those first 11 players. this competition will see the likes of Will Keane, Mcnair, Adnan, Varela get game times and they will not win us a Europa league.

it would be great if they could, but it wont happen, we just dont have enough depth to play good players.

thats irrelevent, when by the time april or may comes around, many of our first 11 could be tired/injured due to having played so many games.

whats going to happen for example if we are playing a Europa league game on a thursday night and we are playing Spurs/Leceister/City/Arsenal etc etc the following sunday?

we are going to have to rest those first 11 players. this competition will see the likes of Will Keane, Mcnair, Adnan, Varela get game times and they will not win us a Europa league.

it would be great if they could, but it wont happen, we just dont have enough depth to play good players.

It is quite relevant as if we have better talent than the other teams we have a great chance to win it. It depends on how seriously we take it.

Rooney needs to keep this recent form up if we are to get CL. That's how much this squad depends on him truth be told.

I'd also say that about a win in the Fa Cup/Europa.

Rooney needs to keep this recent form up if we are to get CL. That's how much this squad depends on him truth be told.

I'd also say that about a win in the Fa Cup/Europa.

It is quite relevant as if we have better talent than the other teams we have a great chance to win it. It depends on how seriously we take it.

i dont think we do have better talent at all, you are giving them far too much credit, Spurs for example have a better team than us based on current form, performances and results. Sevilla are better than us, we would struggle against Fiorentina, Dortmund and weve lost to many teams this season who are 2 or 3 levels below the likes of Porto, Shalke, Bilbao and more.

lets not forget, we are 17th in the PL form table since November.

i dont think we do have better talent at all, you are giving them far too much credit, Spurs for example have a better team than us based on current form, performances and results. Sevilla are better than us, we would struggle against Fiorentina, Dortmund and weve lost to many teams this season who are 2 or 3 levels below the likes of Porto, Shalke, Bilbao and more.

I agree on form and I don't think we could with LVG but I definitely think we are in the top three strongest first 11 on talent alone.

I actually don't think we will win it but I'd be delighted if we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There are 4 or 5 teams I think would knock us out of the Europa I think we need to concentrate on the league

Knowing Van Gaal he is going to play our strongest team in all competitions and we'll suffer

• Advertisement

Last 6 games form in the PL is joint 10th place with 8 points.
    Spurs are top for the last 6 games with 13 points.
    Man City are joint 2nd along with Southampton with 12 points
    Arsenal are with us in joint 10th place.
    Leicester are 9th with 9 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I really don't understand why anybody would pick a 4th place league finish over winning a trophy.

I get the arguments, how we are slaves to the money and need the prestige and all that guff, but at the end of the day are we not supposed to be football fans, do we not want our club to win trophies?

The 4th place finish thing is just another version of the Uefa cup conundrum, whereby teams push all year to get into europe, then when they are there they play second string sides so that they can concentrate on the league so that they can get into europe next season...

Thats us right now, pushing and pushing for europe and then when we get there we can't get past Wolfsburg. Fan-bloody-tastic isn't it. You would pass on a proper trophy for that?

Its all about the trophies folks, if not then what the hell are we fans for? The bean counters can celebrate the qualification paydays but the fans should be about the trophies. The real trophies, not the "4th place thanks for taking part" ones.

Champions League football is pretty much a pre requisite for any of the top tier players in the world ie, the players we should be trying to sign.

Parking completely the financial rewards, if given the option to sign for a team that won a domestic cup last season, or will be in the premier club football tournament in the world, what do you think the majority of players would plump for?

It's a no brainer that being in the CL supersedes a domestic cup victory every day of the week, CL football helps attract better players, better players place the club in a better position to compete for more trophies and give them a better chance at winning more trophies.

An FA cup win did Portsmouth and the mighty Wigan a fat lot of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tonight I'm disgusted to be united fan.

I thought you all be in here with well wishes and appreciation for a legend of this club.

Did this man not give you one of the greatest nights of your life? Did you not cheer his name loud and proud when it was announced for few seasons after at OT?

It's true what's others say, we do have worst fans, Spolit.

We should be celebrating a man who gave us one of greatest moments and we will treasure for many a year.

But I appreciate him, cause he gave me one of the finest of my life. I never felt such happiness supporting this club, I never hugged so many people after that night.

Don't worry I will never forget, so I raise a glass, to a club idol, to Captain fantastic, to whoever made his studs and football boots for that special occasion.

To John Terry. Thanks for falling on your ass. Thanks for the one best nights I ever had. Man I had some hangover in work next morning, I even had get taxi I was still locked, but thanks John. I will never forget you for that.

Viva John Terry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Tonight I'm disgusted to be united fan.

I thought you all be in here with well wishes and appreciation for a legend of this club.

Did this man not give you one of the greatest nights of your life? Did you not cheer his name loud and proud when it was announced for few seasons after at OT?

It's true what's others say, we do have worst fans, Spolit.

We should be celebrating a man who gave us one of greatest moments and we will treasure for many a year.

But I appreciate him, cause he gave me one of the finest of my life. I never felt such happiness supporting this club, I never hugged so many people after that night.

Don't worry I will never forget, so I raise a glass, to a club idol, to Captain fantastic, to whoever made his studs and football boots for that special occasion.

To John Terry. Thanks for falling on your ass. Thanks for the one best nights I ever had. Man I had some hangover in work next morning, I even had get taxi I was still locked, but thanks John. I will never forget you for that.

Viva John Terry!!

Undeniable wanker of a human being.
    But I'd kill for someone like him in defence right now.
    And so would we all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Champions League football is pretty much a pre requisite for any of the top tier players in the world ie, the players we should be trying to sign.

Parking completely the financial rewards, if given the option to sign for a team that won a domestic cup last season, or will be in the premier club football tournament in the world, what do you think the majority of players would plump for?

It's a no brainer that being in the CL supersedes a domestic cup victory every day of the week, CL football helps attract better players, better players place the club in a better position to compete for more trophies and give them a better chance at winning more trophies.

An FA cup win did Portsmouth and the mighty Wigan a fat lot of good.
    You are just proving my point. You want all that stuff so that you can win trophies. To achieve that aim of winning trophies you would... pass up on a trophy. How does that make sense?

Not to mention that you are talking about what players want to see from us, but we aren't players, we are fans, we should really have different criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It's a sign of old age if you read this in kevin keegan's voice:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Last 6 games form in the PL is joint 10th place with 8 points.
    Spurs are top for the last 6 games with 13 points.
    Man City are joint 2nd along with Southampton with 12 points
    Arsenal are with us in joint 10th place.
    Leicester are 9th with 9 points.

Nah, lets stretch the form table back to November instead.

Makes much more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It's a bit like asking a team near the bottom if they'd prefer to win the cup or be relegated. That's how important top four, or lack of, has become.

It gives the club a much better chance of winning trophies in the medium term, not just a possible one hit wonder with a cup win, not to mention the calibre of player that can be attracted with CL football, the financial gain, which again increases the chances of buying more and better players.

Anyone who prioritises CL football over an fa cup or Europa league win is certainly interested in winning silverware, but also interested in the club moving forward and taking steps back up the ladder to compete at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Have we signed anyone yet?

• Advertisement

Korat wrote: »
    Have we signed anyone yet?

Yeh we have a new official spice box supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeh we have a new official spice box supplier.

I hear Ed is working on a new commercial deal for the broadcasting rights for our games in Antarctica... those freaking polar bears and penguins... they just can't get enough of us ;)

brinty wrote: »
    I hear Ed is working on a new commercial deal for the broadcasting rights for our games in Antarctica... those freaking polar bears and penguins... they just can't get enough of us ;)

Gold diggers alaska staring Edward Woodward :)

• Renato Sanche & Cavani seem to be the bull**** that will be pushed out for the day to generate some hype (false hope)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Renato Sanche & Cavani seem to be the bull**** that will be pushed out for the day to generate some hype (false hope)

Any idea what time that neymar lad is due in for a medical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Watch as we make a last ditch panic bid of £60million for Rickie Lambert

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Renato Sanche & Cavani seem to be the bull**** that will be pushed out for the day to generate some hype (false hope)

i think the club new 4 weeks ago that they werent going to be signing anybody, seen as we brought back two lads from loan.

we could make a last ditch bid for a full back today, so lets see but im not expecting anything. the reality is the money just isnt allocated to sign anymore players, Woodward said as much in September that all the major squads spending is done, despite the fact our squad has massive holes in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I feel it's important to point out that there are no polar bears in Antarctica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I feel it's important to point out that there are no polar bears in Antarctica.

The more you know with Maximus Alexander.

judging by those faces he was making in the crowd at Derby on Friday night, it looks like he was advertising for a new laxative partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Considering just how bad December was, I find it amazing we got through January without doing anything to help improve the situation.

LVG still in charge, squad is still laughably small and we are short of fit players. Incredible we haven't got in a CB or LB to help shore up the injury problem at the back.

January needed to be a big month for United. Instead, the club have sat on their hands and, imo, confirmed no CL football for next season. Well done, all round, guys.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement