Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Strumms wrote: »
    I also have the feeling he will be there for the Chelsea game... One last stand at home and a win might buy him time. After Chelsea we have what in the course of normality that is some winnable fixtures. That could be his game plan and last throw of the dice.

Time for what though? What is he going to do between now and the summer that he hasn't done in the last 19 months?

West Ham, PSV, and Norwich at home were winnable fixtures.

van Gaal is as good as finished as United manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Strumms wrote: »
    After Chelsea we have what in the course of normality that is some winnable fixtures.

We just came through a run of winnable fixtures, West Ham, Bournemouth, Norwich and Stoke.

1 point from 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

^ I'm not disagreeing with either of you. We need change and now. My point is that could be his mindset. He is a proud guy with a good record and I think from what he said the United job would be his last gig. I feel he would give it every chance afforded to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

If he stays on for the Chelsea game and wins it with a good performance. What then?

Keep him on, give him a load of money in January and let Mourinho and Guardiola sign up elsewhere?

It would be very shoddy to sack him after the best result of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Phew seems boards was quite annoyed by the utd loss hence the downtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Looks like he will be staying for Chelsea match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The "bad run" is irrelevant.

The performances that have led to this point have been the norm since October 2014. Winning or losing today at Stoke is just another data point on the bigger picture.

We have never looked good under Van Gaal, but people were prepared to accept it on the assumption that because it was Van Gaal then things would eventually work out. In December 2014 we had two of the worst performances ever by a United team, against Arsenal and Southampton, and since then it has been month after month and game after game of ****e football.

People need to understand this point, this is not a bad run, this is the norm! Van Gaal cannot get Manchester United playing good football, he cannot get his message across to his players, and he does not know how to change it.

Exactly,we've been playing complete dirt since LVG took over but it was constantly ignored by a lot of fans, 13 points after 10 games last season for example.

This run of results has been coming and was always going to happen eventually . Worst run of results now since 1961

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Korat wrote: »
    If he stays on for the Chelsea game and wins it with a good performance. What then?

"I have decided that I have done all I can for the club. Thankfully, I can end my tenure as Man United manager on a high with a win. However, realistically, the club needs to examine a new direction for long term success, and I feel now is the right time to part company with Man United. Thank you for all your support."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

If he loses v Chelsea action will probably have to be taken.

At present I'd say the board don't want to sack him and Van Gaal doesn't want to go. . . that's why he's still in a job.

The reaction of the fans at the next match will be a factor also . . . especially if United lose.

If sacked they'll give it to Giggs until the end of the season.

Real Madrid will then sack Benitez and Mourinho will be offered that job instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Alex Meier wrote: »

Real Madrid will then sack Benitez and Mourinho will be offered that job instead.

Do you go to all the meetings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Alex Meier wrote: »
    If he loses v Chelsea action will probably have to be taken.

At present I'd say the board don't want to sack him and Van Gaal doesn't want to go. . . that's why he's still in a job.

The reaction of the fans at the next match will be a factor also . . . especially if United lose.

And then we get Benitez!!!! It's like the most terrifying scrooge film imaginable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

What in gods name makes you think he'll go back to Spain? He is vilified by the press there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

There's simply too little time between now and the Chelsea game to make a change. At most it'd be Giggs on the touchline for it, installing a new manager takes longer than a day and they'd be keen to avoid a big circus with Mourinho present for the Chelsea game. It'll happen after though, he'll probably quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

spiralism wrote: »
    There's simply too little time between now and the Chelsea game to make a change. At most it'd be Giggs on the touchline for it, installing a new manager takes longer than a day and they'd be keen to avoid a big circus with Mourinho present for the Chelsea game. It'll happen after though, he'll probably quit.

Knowing the way Mourinho acts he'll probably buy himself a ticket for the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I am half expecting an anouncement about his departure before the Chelsea game with Giggs in charge for that match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

adox wrote: »
    I am half expecting an anouncement about his departure before the Chelsea game with Giggs in charge for that match.

That would make the most sense alright. If the decision is made that he won't continue until the end of the season (I'm fairly sure it has) then what's the point in not going for that potential 'bounce' effect v Chelsea under Giggs?

The only thing I can think of, is that Van Gaal is saying he'll resign if things don't improve in the Chelsea match and the board are thinking what is the point in sacking him a day before that and paying him compo?

Of course there could be other politics going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

What happens if Jose comes in and we continue losing games? I don't know if fans will give him as much time as other managers might get. We need a longterm plan that everyone is happy to go along with and with Joses behaviour when he's under pressure I'm not sure if it will work out

how.gareth wrote: »
    What happens if Jose comes in and we continue losing games? I don't know if fans will give him as much time as other managers might get. We need a longterm plan that everyone is happy to go along with and with Joses behaviour when he's under pressure I'm not sure if it will work out

He'll be sacked.

Long term plans need patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And that's that if that's true.

Kinda Hope it's resolved before Chelsea game now

• Advertisement

how.gareth wrote: »

Most people will have low expectations for the rest of the season at this stage. Its going to take more than one January transfer window for whatever manager we get in to fix any issues.
    So even if Jose comes in and keeps losing, it can be written off as a failure on LVGs part, and hopefully Jose would get in whats nessecary over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He only has a year and a half left so sacking him and ponying up the remainder of his contract wont be a great deal. If he wasnt going to be on the line tomorrow night i think we would have heard by now or latest around now. Gonner if we loose tomorrow alright though.

The most interesting thing is what is the potential next move. Gamble of Giggs for the rest of the season and try and pip City for Pep come the summer ? We need top 4 and at one point we were crusing to it now we have to fight tooth and nail for it. Otherwise its Jose.. at least the dogs on the street know he would jump at the United job in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lets presume LVG resigns or is sacked.

At this moment United are not in a bad position points wise compared to the top 4:
    9 off Leicester
    7 off Arsenal
    6 off City
    3 off Spurs.

We have lost a similar number of games to City, but we drew three more than them rather than winning them.

A new manager would be in a great position for a title challenge still, and some new signings in January to strengthen our weak areas in attack and in defense.
    A new manager must understand how Schneiderlin has to be played, maybe LVG was resting him for Chelsea but with Morgan's record of when he plays and when he doesn't, LVG couldn't afford to rest him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Headshot wrote: »
    You know the funny thing is if the club got Jose in now, he could go on to win this crazy crazy league

Im firmly in the Jose camp at this stage, I do worry about the future if he comes but the now will be fun

I think who ever takes over from LVG has a huge task on their hands, the squad is in a very very poor state now especially mentally.

It's a joke how poorly it has been managed since Ferguson left.it needs major investment and another major overhaul.

• And that's that if that's true.

Kinda Hope it's resolved before Chelsea game now
    What's the word kew?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What's the word kew?

Haven't a notion, just believing the twitter machine.

Still think he be there for Chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Numerous reports stating that Van Gaal isn't at training this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Giggs took charge this morning according to the Twitter machine. Surely that's that.

Think those Giggs taking training are from nobody accounts. Wouldn't pay attention to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

adox wrote: »
    Think those Giggs taking training are from nobody accounts. Wouldn't pay attention to them.

They are citing SSN as a source. When, in actual fact, SSN have said nothing of the sort. If they had, they would be pimping it on their yellow news bar and getting it out there on their twitter account.

It could be true of course, but the people saying it don't have a notion.

Ya those ones are false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The best they have come up with so far is Memphis having the cheek to turn up to training, in his Rolls Royce. Very slow news day so far obviously, either something big is about to come out or there is simply nothing happening except business as usual. You would have to think if an announcement is coming it would be pretty soon. I expected it by 11pm last night or not at all, but if it gets past lunchtime with nothing then you would have to assume he is going to be there for the Chelsea game anyway.

Although as someone pointed out, after how poorly the Moyes one was handled it could be the club ensuring all the angles are covered and everything is sorted properly before making an announcement.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

So how much will we lose by tomorrow?

Pheonix10 wrote: »

0-2 I reckon!

I'm going for a 6-1 demolition job, we always play well when I go to the match :pac:

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Given Chelsea's form, it could well be the movable object vs the stoppable force :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We will probably win tomorrow, felliani will score from 5 yards, we'll hold on to win and people will start thinking it actually changes anything.

Individual results aren't really important, it's the performance long term that matters. It's not like a defeat to Chelsea is that shameful at any time, just as a win doesn't make right the crap that came before it.

The best they have come up with so far is Memphis having the cheek to turn up to training, in his Rolls Royce. Very slow news day so far obviously, either something big is about to come out or there is simply nothing happening except business as usual. You would have to think if an announcement is coming it would be pretty soon. I expected it by 11pm last night or not at all, but if it gets past lunchtime with nothing then you would have to assume he is going to be there for the Chelsea game anyway.

Although as someone pointed out, after how poorly the Moyes one was handled it could be the club ensuring all the angles are covered and everything is sorted properly before making an announcement.

Jaysus just seen the Mirror story there on Memphis causes a stir by turning up to training in Rolls Royce convertible".

I mean, should he have a banger that he takes to work if he didn't play well in the last game?

They really must have **** all to write about.

I'd say its cause of how shockingly bad he was yesterday they probably feel he should have got the bus or something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Depays poor header back to De Gea seems to be getting most of the criticism, but for me Blind was disgraceful, seemed very lazy at left back yesterday

mav79 wrote: »
    Depays poor header back to De Gea seems to be getting most of the criticism, but for me Blind was disgraceful, seemed very lazy at left back yesterday

Have to agree with you there. There was Memphis and Blind wrecking the gaff yesterday. It's not solely a Dutch thing though, cause Mata and Herrera were shíte too.

Half expecting us to win tomorrow though for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

stankratz wrote: »
    Half expecting us to win tomorrow though for some reason.

Probably because in the battle of the fallen titans, Chelsea actually make United look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

mav79 wrote: »

I thought this at the time. Where was the fullback and why was it Memphis, a flair (:/) attacking player tracking back?

• We will probably win tomorrow, felliani will score from 5 yards, we'll hold on to win and people will start thinking it actually changes anything.

Individual results aren't really important, it's the performance long term that matters. It's not like a defeat to Chelsea is that shameful at any time, just as a win doesn't make right the crap that came before it.

Yes it is important, your post just comes across as cynical

It's like some of you want to rub the "I told you so" in people's faces because they continue to show faith till the very end

I imagine many other fans and myself included want utd to beat Chelsea regardless what you may think, whatever the situation may be losing is losing and never feels good

It would be a nice send off for lvg also, he's a great figure in the game and has a long and decorated career and I have huge respect for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

weemcd wrote: »
    I thought this at the time. Where was the fullback and why was it Memphis, a flair (:/) attacking player tracking back?
    Yeah, if the header reached De Gea he would have been applauded for his defensive work, for tracking the whole way back, it didn't so he was criticized fair enough, but Blind made no effort to get back and it happened on a few occasions once the ball went past him. Leaving the CB's to be pulled out wide while only jogging back slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So regardless of poor form or not, with just 2 days between games a few changes might be expected.

Rooney and Schneiderlin will start
    Bastian comes straight back in if his ban is up.
    Varela or Borthwick-Jackson might come back in at full back.

Blind and Depay just have to be dropped, maybe Mata too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The Shaw injury was such a brutal blow for Utd this year. Imagine him at full fitness for the season bombing it up the left flank.

Blind is guilty of poor position a lot tbh, a fine squad player, good utility man and every squad needs them but he does have his limitations.

How is it that good players like Arnautovic, Shaqiri, Bojan Krkic & Afellay are playing for Stoke whilst United are stuck with the likes of Depay, Martial, Felliani & Blind (players who, quite frankly, are not good enough to play for United)?

In the end this is the main reason why LVG will get the sack. . . A lot of money spent on players that are just not good enough.

His philosophy may be fine if he had a quality starting eleven to implement it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You can't make that call on Memphis or Martial just yet ffs.

Bloody hell Alex...

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    You can't make that call on Memphis or Martial just yet ffs.

Bloody hell Alex...

Both their performances yesterday were crazy bad. . . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement