Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I hope City don't go out and buy Messi now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheDoc wrote: »
    That is potentially the most devastating signing a rival has made since Mourinho first arrived at Chelsea.

Genuinely distraught, we are in massive, massive trouble.

ah come off it, why is this a surprise?

we all hoped it would be Pep coming to us, but come on lets be serious, why would he touch the mess that we have become under the Glazers and Woodward in recent years?

im not a bit upset or disappointed as its expected. you have to laugh though, its looking like Giggs as our next manager with every passing week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Korat wrote: »

It could be Neymar they go for, he said he wants to play for Guardiola at some stage of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Id love if they got Suarez just to see the other lot lose their shyt.

I'd say of any though Neymar is most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Messi, Neymar and Muller.

Pep has the contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Another year of Van Boring for sure now. Sure we got to the FA Cup quarter final this year - that's progress

It was reported earlier in the season that Man City were offering Pep £18 million a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

adox wrote: »
    I really have no idea who will be in charge of Utd next season.

I'm starting to think no one at the club does either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Am I the only one who thinks that Jose would have been signed by now if he was going to sign? No chance of him singing imo.

I dont buy the Utd were holding out to try and get Pep. They would have known he wasnt available well before today.

I really have no idea who will be in charge of Utd next season.

I had played with the idea that he signed something to agree to not manage in the league again that year meaning he could take over in the summer, which would explain why Van Gaal didn't get the bullet perhaps, but I think we would probably have heard something about that by now via a leak, or whatever.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I said earlier that within the the club we seem to be missing things that seem obvious to anybody looking on, such as the clear need to address areas of the squad.

Guardiola may be another example, I certainly hope Woodward hasn't been delaying certain actions based on the pipedream of signing Pep as manager when it was pretty clear that he would be going to City. (No hindsight here, I called that months ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It feels like a major crossroads in the clubs history.

It's got to be Mourinho now, or we can completely write off the next 3 or 4 years, at very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

we all hoped it would be Pep coming to us, but come on lets be serious, why would he touch the mess that we have become under the Glazers and Woodward in recent years?

im not a bit upset or disappointed as its expected. you have to laugh though, its looking like Giggs as our next manager with every passing week.

There is a big difference between the rumours circulating throughout the season, and it actually being confirmed.

I thought when push came to shove and it came time to decide, he would go with us. So it is a surprise. It's also real and harrowing confirmation that we are rapidly tumbling away from being an elite club i nthe premier league, much faster then anticipated.

Have to wonder what the **** went on from whatever delegation we surely sent to meet with guardiola at a point to discuss his interest. You'd think the value of keeping Ferguson attached to the club was for these exact scenarios, that his massive reputation and presence could be a deciding factor in persuading managers and players.

Maybe we are going for Diego Simeone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

When was Peps appointment made official?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well the obvious is now out in the open , It's hard to say what to think because we don't even know if we tried to get Pep to Utd...But from the outside view he's once again taking the easy option going to City and of course the money but what can you say that's football these days.

We've been on the downward slope for 3 years now and signs point to it only getting worst. Chelsea will be back at it next season , Liverpool will improve under Klopp , Tottenham have a better squad than we do (And manager) , City will now dominate for a couple of seasons, Arsenal are looking like a title winning side again...

Leaving us to battle West Ham and the likes for 6th or 7th place.

• Advertisement

• Could do worse. He's a very good manager and would be an improvement on van Gaal.

I'm not knocking him. I'd just think it would be hilarious if it did happen.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is written in the stars for Mourihnio now

is it though? we could have got him in 6 weeks ago and we have no done that. this would suggest that Jose is not on our agenda and never will be.

the plan is set out for LVG to remain on and be replaced by Giggs - its been as clear as Pep going to City. They believe Giggs is not ready yet, so are clinging on to LVG to see out his 3 year contract (and even talk of him getting the 4th year) and then give it to Giggs to take over.

now, whether recent results will change that plan who knows but right now it looks like Woodward is hell bent on keeping to his plan and will not change it anytime soon, for fear of been proved wrong.

you just have to laugh its so f*cked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I had played with the idea that he signed something to agree to not manage in the league again that year meaning he could take over in the summer, which would explain why Van Gaal didn't get the bullet perhaps, but I think we would probably have heard something about that by now via a leak, or whatever.

I will hang on to that idea to try and keep myself sane for the rest of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I said earlier that within the the club we seem to be missing things that seem obvious to anybody looking on, such as the clear need to address areas of the squad.

Guardiola may be another example, I certainly hope Woodward hasn't been delaying certain actions based on the pipedream of signing Pep as manager when it was pretty clear that he would be going to City. (No hindsight here, I called that months ago)

In fairness I think everyone knew it months ago. Many just didn't want to believe it.

Mourinho has to be got now.. there is absolutely no excuses.(though I'm sure we will hear some)

I'm starting to think no one at the club does either.

well its going to be either LVG or Giggs looks like. if LVG makes top 4, he will not be sacked unless he walks away. giggs takes over in 2017 then.

its written in the stars and unless we miss out on top 4 this year, its going to happen like that.

even now, Jose could tell us to f off.

• Advertisement

is it though? we could have got him in 6 weeks ago and we have no done that. this would suggest that Jose is not on our agenda and never will be.

the plan is set out for LVG to remain on and be replaced by Giggs - its been as clear as Pep going to City. They believe Giggs is not ready yet, so are clinging on to LVG to see out his 3 year contract (and even talk of him getting the 4th year) and then give it to Giggs to take over.

now, whether recent results will change that plan who knows but right now it looks like Woodward is hell bent on keeping to his plan and will not change it anytime soon, for fear of been proved wrong.

I'd find it incredibly difficult to not have a massive prejudice with Giggs from day one, and basically pick holes in him week in week out, because I'll have believed it a terrible decision from the get go. And surely that would be an issue with many a fan.

Heard again a journalist reference how the majority would welcome giggs. Where is this coming from? If this is some form of "terrace talk" then there should be a clearout of our stands to get in fans who arn't absolutely bat **** mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

United should try and poach Pochettino

Not everybody wanted Pep, there have been a few dissenting voices here, and plenty elsewhere. His brand of football is no sure thing in this league. Considering the overwhelming dis-satisfaction with the style of play now it is understandable that he would not be universally heralded by the fans either.

I am not convinced he will be a huge success at City, he took a while to get the fans onside at Bayern during the first season when they were absolutely dire to watch for the most part, hopefully he gets off to a similar start at City and the media get on his back early :p

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »
    In fairness I think everyone knew it months ago. Many just didn't want to believe it.

Mourinho has to be got now.. there is absolutely no excuses.(though I'm sure we will hear some)

If the club wanted him, he would be the manger by now.

I believe there are some at the club that do want him, and others that don't - and with that lack of agreement on who the next person will be there is no one strong enough to simply make the decision and tell everyone to get in line.

I fear that the job of replacing LVG won't start til the summer, and we will have yet another summer of wasted time, falling further behind the clubs that have actually got a clue.

• is it though? we could have got him in 6 weeks ago and we have no done that. this would suggest that Jose is not on our agenda and never will be.

For Jose, wouldn't it be another milestone in his career if he managed success against an ever growing power that is Man City. And especially going up against Pep.
    I'm of the opinion LVG is there till the Summer then gone. Woodward banking on him achieving top 4. With Giggs it won't happen.

Amazingly Pellegrini is now in the mix next summer as is Jose

There is a big difference between the rumours circulating throughout the season, and it actually being confirmed.

I thought when push came to shove and it came time to decide, he would go with us. So it is a surprise. It's also real and harrowing confirmation that we are rapidly tumbling away from being an elite club i nthe premier league, much faster then anticipated.

Have to wonder what the **** went on from whatever delegation we surely sent to meet with guardiola at a point to discuss his interest. You'd think the value of keeping Ferguson attached to the club was for these exact scenarios, that his massive reputation and presence could be a deciding factor in persuading managers and players.

i posted earlier in the season (before all the City talk came about) that no way did i expect Pep to go to City.

however, as it became clearer and clearer in recent months what was happening, i gave up that view and started to accept it. the sad thing is, i firmly believe if we wanted him badly enough, he would have crawled to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I'm hoping after reading about the 15% cuts yesterday that those leeches are planning to sell the club.
    Did I read correctly that they could get 3bn for it?
    All this money that they are bringing in with every sort of a partnership deal yet they are cutting back on investment in the academy which has fallen miles behind Cities one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jose will be delighted today, he will be waiting on the call from Old Trafford now.

Having said that, if I was a Utd fan, would a punt on the likes of a Unai Emery not be worth a go. Jose will bring nothing but disrepute to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I'm hoping after reading about the 15% cuts yesterday that those leeches are planning to sell the club.
    Did I read correctly that they could get 3bn for it?
    All this money that they are bringing in with every sort of a partnership deal yet they are cutting back on investment in the academy which has fallen miles behind Cities one.

Jose will be delighted today, he will be waiting on the call from Old Trafford now.

Having said that, if I was a Utd fan, would a punt on the likes of a Unai Emery not be worth a go. Jose will bring nothing but disrepute to the club.

• Advertisement

If the club wanted him, he would be the manger by now.

I believe there are some at the club that do want him, and others that don't - and with that lack of agreement on who the next person will be there is no one strong enough to simply make the decision and tell everyone to get in line.

I fear that the job of replacing LVG won't start til the summer, and we will have yet another summer of wasted time, falling further behind the clubs that have actually got a clue.

the reality is it will likely take a string of poor results to justify pulling the trigger on Van Gaal. Decent point made above there, that it's possible Mourinho has a clause that he can't manage in PL for remainder of season(be odd though would it not?)

I can see why Woodward with stick with Van Gaal now, while it's possible that CL can be secured again.

If the club has an idea, or near certainty on the next manager, and that manager is to take over in the summer, might as well be brought in ASAP to give them a head start. (Unless it is Giggs, where you wouldn't give him the reigns now and most likely botch up CL qualification)

The rumours I have read indicate Woodward has no intention of giving Giggs the job, as he has enough problems with political power at OT without handing the job to a Fergie boy - doesn't want the Co92 crowd to take control.

Woodward wants Mourinho.
    Charlton/Fergie/Gill want Giggs, especially if it brings Fergie back into power in some way (as mentor, confidant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

v3ttel wrote: »
    It's got to be Mourinho now, or we can completely write off the next 3 or 4 years, at very least.

Sooo now Mourinho is a guarantee for success ?!? .. LvG was his "Mentor"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sir Bobby Robson was his mentor not LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

United are Arsenal now, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

the reality is it will likely take a string of poor results to justify pulling the trigger on Van Gaal.
    Whats 3 wins from 13 if it isn't a string of poor results?
    Woodward wants Mourinho.
    Charlton/Fergie/Gill want Giggs, especially if it brings Fergie back into power in some way (as mentor, confidant)

Then Woodward should man up and overrule those 3, is he in charge or is he not?

near certainty on the next manager, and that manager is to take over in the summer, might as well be brought in ASAP to give them a head start. (Unless it is Giggs, where you wouldn't give him the reigns now and most likely botch up CL qualification)
    This make no sense at all.

If the club have decided Giggs is going to take over then they are confident in his abilities to manage the club to success - so wouldn't assume he would botch CL qualification.

Seriously, think about it. If they thought Giggs was MOST LIKELY to botch CL qualification, why the fook would they think him good enough to be the next manager?

weisses wrote: »
    Sooo now Mourinho is a guarantee for success ?!? .. LvG was his "Mentor"

Mourhino was always a guarantee for success.

Nope. Arsenal always get their CL football.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Nah. Arsenal are great to watch.

Sir Bobby Robson was his mentor not LVG.
    Speaking in 2005, after taking Chelsea to a first league title in half a century, Mourinho reflected on the influence of his Dutch mentor. "I have to say that van Gaal is a beautiful person,” he said. “He's somebody who is a little bit like me in the sense only the people who know him well know who he is

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2015/Apr/Louis-van-Gaal-and-Jose-Mourinho-two-of-a-kind-feature.aspx

Van Gaal and Mourinho: Two of a kind .... says it all

My stomach turns to say this, but f*ck me do Man City have ambition.

they are making us look like a championship club at the moment compared to them. they will never have the global base we have and never match our size, but it wont be long until that gap is small and their trophy count starts to grow.

if we dont win anything this year (which is highely likely)weve won 1 trophy in 5 years, they have 3 and probably will add another 2 this season.

meanwhile our ambition is to grow our revenue and sponsor volume and have the best noodles in the premier league with f*cking disney tunes playing as the teams come out.

Whats 3 wins from 13 if it isn't a horrendous string of poor results?

Then Woodward should man up and overrule those 3, is he in charge or is he not?
    The Glazers are in charge.

Yes, Woodward should man up and tell the Glazers this is what needs to happen, but he isn't doing so. I figure it simply isn't a case of Woodward being CEO so has all the power. Gill, Fergie and Charlton still wield more than enough influence themselves that Woodward can't simply run it himself.

I love the soap opera that seems to need to be created :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Nope. Arsenal always get their CL football.:(
    KH25 wrote: »
    Nah. Arsenal are great to watch.

United are pre-1996 Arsenal now, aren't they?

Pellegrini for Utd?

This make no sense at all.

If the club have decided Giggs is going to take over then they are confident in his abilities to manage the club to success - so wouldn't assume he would botch CL qualification.

Seriously, think about it. If they thought Giggs was MOST LIKELY to botch CL qualification, why the fook would they think him good enough to be the next manager?

I'm just conveying their possible thinking, not mine.

But it might be a bit of a turmoil to fire Van Gaal, throw Giggs the reigns and off he goes, midseason. Might be literally throwing him in at the deep end.

Van Gaal stumbling over the line, and Giggs getting a full pre-season, might be the desired plan.

I'd probably fall behind your theory that Woodward wants nothing to do with Giggs as a first team manager.

Mourhino was always a guarantee for success.

So was Van Gaal ... well almost

• NIMAN wrote: »
    Pellegrini for Utd?

Snap! I got in there earlier.

But to answer the question yes potentially.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement