Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If anyone in the PL is likely to get that calibre of player then it's going to be City. With the money they have and Pep at the helm I don't forsee any other team in England having a hope going up against them in the transfer market.
    It is worrying tbh
    To note: He has already built a relationship with these players.

Fair point Mick, but I think we've shown we can match and exceed Citeh for spending and wages if we want and we've far greater actual revenues (i.e. not oil money bail outs that never get repaid)

On the relationship thing wasn't neymar after his time and Ronaldo hasn't played for him plus there'd be no chance of Messi and Ronaldo in the same team.. maybe if Messi went to Citeh Ronny might decide to come home....

Makes for an interesting summer cos Roman is going to have to overhaul Chelsea too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    You've referenced ambition a few times now. What do you mean by this?

Are you in the camp that you believe Woodward and his teams are only interested in securing more money via commercial deals, to basically line each others pockets and ignore the team.

Or are you referencing some of the issues with the club that have not been addressed that are maybe leaving us a bit behind post ferguson era.

Interested to know if the club is no longer interested in challenging for titles, european crowns and being generally succesfull. I must have missed that memo.

I've mentioned ambition myself, so I will answer this myself (for myself, homer can give his own answer obviously).

City have pumped money into creating the best youth academy in England, with their own stadium. They have linked properly with private schools (headed by wife of Brian Kidd I believe). They have gone out to get the best manager around. They push for the best.

For me, they are pushing to be the best football team around.

United have underfunded the youth academy and scouting structures for years (Moyes and Woodward shocked by the state of them). There is talk of fixing it, but no action. We have a squad of average players and a manager doing crap - and our 'noisy neighbours' get an easy run at the best manager in football. We have the club secretary in charge of the academy.

For me, I can only see that United are looking to get 4th spot and anything else is a bonus. We are going to fail at that too this year, again. I don't see United making a concerted effort to be the best football club in the world, on the pitch.

With the resources and appeal United have, we should be blowing every other english club out of the water - yet we are flagging behind our competitors. That, imo, is because of a lack of ambition and vision at the club. Keeping things ticking over, get into the CL and ensure the profits keep rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

zerks wrote: »

Fellaini to milan?

Neves or Martins indi from Porto? Could be the other lad Renato either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I nearly made it the whole window without dealing with any transfer speculation. Damn you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I've mentioned ambition myself, so I will answer this myself (for myself, homer can give his own answer obviously).

City have pumped money into creating the best youth academy in England, with their own stadium. They have linked properly with private schools (headed by wife of Brian Kidd I believe). They have gone out to get the best manager around. They push for the best.

For me, they are pushing to be the best football team around.

United have underfunded the youth academy and scouting structures for years (Moyes and Woodward shocked by the state of them). There is talk of fixing it, but no action. We have a squad of average players and a manager doing crap - and our 'noisy neighbours' get an easy run at the best manager in football. We have the club secretary in charge of the academy.

For me, I can only see that United are looking to get 4th spot and anything else is a bonus. We are going to fail at that too this year, again. I don't see United making a concerted effort to be the best football club in the world, on the pitch.

With the resources and appeal United have, we should be blowing every other english club out of the water - yet we are flagging behind our competitors. That, imo, is because of a lack of ambition and vision at the club. Keeping things ticking over, get into the CL and ensure the profits keep rolling in.

Why can't you always make your points like this!

I agree with a lot of what you say there, good post Mitch!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Renato Sanchez was playing against Moreirense last night which is about 30 mins from Porto airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I seem to remember that Jose declined to make any comments out of respect for "his friend" LvG. This is why I didn't believe the 6 page dossier speculation.

I think that we would have to sack LvG or him resign before Jose would talk.

Wasn't there a rumour a while ago that we had no interest in Pep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I nearly made it the whole window without dealing with any transfer speculation. Damn you.

we have to at least make some effort to sign 1 defender in the next few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was gonna say, is it just me or was the speculation front on transfers REALLY quite this window. I know January is typically not a month big clubs invest.

Was the Van Gaal the total hog, or is there reader burnout regarding United fans and transfer speculation. That is probably the first bit of "that kind" of stuff I've read this window.

Coming into the window I expected a lot more links with the likes of Gotze,Isco and Marquinihos and I've seen nada

• Advertisement

we have to at least make some effort to sign 1 defender in the next few hours.

Given how thin the squad is, I'd pretty much take anyone who has played first string football in a professional league before. :pac:

astradave wrote: »
    Renato Sanchez was playing against Moreirense last night which is about 30 mins from Porto airport

Sounds like a case of the Didier Baptiste's......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

People surprised and upset Pep going to City
    Utd not interested in bringing in a player today

This thread is going to become increasingly unbearable as the day goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why can't you always make your points like this!

I agree with a lot of what you say there, good post Mitch!

Well if you ignore the searing and blind rage - all my posts are like this! You gotta read between the rage...

TheDoc wrote: »
    You've referenced ambition a few times now. What do you mean by this?

i think this is answered already now by Mitch.

we have in my opinion shifted our ambition from trophies to $ in the last 3 years.

youd never heard of Ferguson talking about top 4 as the target, but that is it now and it will continue like that for a long time it looks like.

this sums it up also -

Samuel Luckhurst ‏@samuelluckhurst 2h2 hours ago
    #mufc left behind again. Missed out on Guardiola twice. Ignored Mourinho twice. And overlooked Klopp when he was available. Cash over glory.

Well if you ignore the searing and blind rage - all my posts are like this! You gotta read between the rage...

PMSL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Its time for the supporters to come together again and get militant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

brinty wrote: »
    Lads, maybe I’m in the small minority that couldn’t give a fiddlers flute about Pep and City..
    He’s taken the easier option (£$€) after proclaiming he loves clubs with history and tradition and that he could develop.
    He was never coming to United so I’m not disappointed by todays announcement
    Its shows no class on his part that with 4-5 months left with Bayern he’s already announced where he’s going, its hard to respect someone like that
    City have a lot of work to do on the squad their defence is aging and not improving, Yaya is not getting younger and the base players Fernando and fernandinho haven’t been great
    He’ll spend a rack load of money and still not have a Messi Ronaldo Neymar et al in the squad because those players don’t want to go to Manchester…
    He’ll be gone in three years after stress off not getting a champions league victory

I also think the Guardiola love-in is a little excessive. No doubt he is an excellent manager, but at Barca, he was working with some of the best players in the world.
    At Bayern, he is managing in a league where his team hoover up the best talent in the country and outspend everyone else. While he has done fantastic to keep the team motivated against poor teams, the difference in levels of Bayern vs almost every other Bundesliga team allows them to prepare better than almost anyone else in the Champions League.

It's completely unfair however to think negatively of going to City over any other club. Why wouldn't he go to a team that appears to offer him the best chance of winning the Premier League, and not have to undertake a complete overhaul as it looks the Utd team may have to.
    As for them being an aging squad, sure, Utd's isn't exactly full of potential either.
    And, announcing it now... I am sure that wasn't a unilateral decision. If anything, it is a positive for Utd as it stops the fans calling for his signing and focus's the mind that if not Guardiola, then who?

How will he do? Who knows....
    My bet - he will win the League in the first couple of years (depending on the level of restructuring he decides to do), get to the latter stages of the CL, but find the likes or Barca, Real and Bayern still a few levels ahead.

Where do Utd go from here?
    I am a Liverpool fan, and I would not wish Mourinho on my worst enemy. He will demand 100's of millions in backing and I think that he has made so many enemies over the years in his style of football, that his next job will be his hardest, wherever he ends up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Snap! I got in there earlier.

But to answer the question yes potentially.

Heard rumours that pellingrini to chelsea could be a done deal but this coming from a guy in work who is from chelsea and says thats what he is hearing but id take it with a huge pinch of salt.

I think Giggs is nailed on for it now which i do not want. He is my favorite united player everand wouldnt want him to tarnish hos but i just cant see him doing good with no experience. Look at neville at valencia, has not been good at all.

City had to do an overhaul of the youth academy and upgrade the stadium and of course are going to make it sound super positive from the PR department. We already have those things so there is no need.

Nothing wrong with City toothing there own horn but we have the best stadium in England and a youth academy that has given us a first team players for decades. Citys youth setup hasn't even come close to us.

Yes they are making strides but jeez some people just lap up the good stuff from others and any negative stuff from us.

We are more than capable of competing with City from an infrastructure and internal structure aspect. Yes there are hicups along the way and we should have done better in some areas but thats the competitive nature of business/football.

You'd swear OT was about to become a derelict wasteland or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

there's only 1 man that can outmatch the hype of Pep going to city.....

cristiano-ronaldo-630-joy-and-goal-celebration-in-a-manchester-united-game.jpg

i think this is answered already now by Mitch.

we have in my opinion shifted our ambition from trophies to $ in the last 3 years.

youd never heard of Ferguson talking about top 4 as the target, but that is it now and it will continue like that for a long time it looks like.

I just don't see it as anything that sinister, I think all the expertise the club had when it came to winning was lost with Fergie, Gill and their staff. The changeover from Fergie's dynasty was diabolical and there's nobody left in power at the club who knows how to operate a dominant football team. I honestly think it's cluelessness, rather than a lack of will or ambition.

I just don't buy that there's an inverse relationship between commercial and footballing success. If anything, it'd be the opposite surely.

Unless the Glazers are trying to set things up to sell, in which case we're fecked in the medium term and it will probably be really obvious this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

This Renato Sanchez fella looks a bit like Anderson. :eek:

303DEF7F00000578-0-image-a-14_1453493037670.jpg

Would people rate Debuchy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Too late now anyway. Apparently Wenger has blocked the move and he's off to Marseilles.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Too late now anyway. Apparently Wenger has blocked the move and he's off to Marseilles.

I heard Bordeoux.. Wenger wouldn't loan to a direct rival apparently..

Who wants to tell Arsene?

All we need now are some white sheets at Carrington,this window is like our football.

• Sky News questioned Mourihnio today...

"Jose Mourinho refused to answer questions from Sky News' Paul Kelso on a potential move to Manchester United in the wake of Manchester City's Pep Guardiola announcement."

Source video;

http://www.livesoccertv.com/news/17192/fancy-the-united-job-mourinho-drilled-over-old-trafford-rumors-video/?

Why refuse to answer? Could have ruled it out.. oh Jose you tease

• Advertisement

Samuel Luckhurst ‏@samuelluckhurst 2h2 hours ago
    #mufc left behind again. Missed out on Guardiola twice. Ignored Mourinho twice. And overlooked Klopp when he was available. Cash over glory.

Hyperbole from twitter at its best. Missed out on Pep twice? when exactly? Fergie was still in charge when Pep announced on his sabbatical he would be joining Bayern. If the press are to be believed Fergire tried to convince Pep to take over but Pep said no. Pep simply wanted to go elsewhere, "missing out" make it seems like UTD dropped the ball on getting him.

Ignored Jose twice? We had Fergie at the helm during the periods Jose was switching jobs, when he was gone at Madrid didn't he apparently want the UTD job and cried when Moyes got it? Isn't that us ignoring him?

Overlooked Klopp. Klopp had two good seasons with BvB but has never cracked Europe. A good manager with lots to prove and its not all amazing so far in the EPL.

To finish off such a misinformed and over the top tweet with "cash over glory" is pathetic, but there is a big audience for the overly negative everything at UTD is terrible viewpoint I guess.

astradave wrote: »
    Why refuse to answer? Could have ruled it out.. oh Jose you tease

Much as I dislike Jose and would rather find another... solution, it'd be some soap opera having the two of them in one city. Imagine the derbies.

That planes to manchester tweet is explainable.

Stoke signing a guy from Porto called Imbula so thats that flight.

It does appear that Guardiola at least turned down the chance once, Fergie himself has said he met with him and spoke to him about taking over from him, asked Guardiola to let him know and says he never heard back from him, just when he was announced as the next Bayern manager.

Seems Pep had the job if he wanted it that time anyway tbh. No idea about this time, it does however seem that he has been earmarked for City for quite a while though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

It does appear that Guardiola at least turned down the chance once, Fergie himself has said he met with him and spoke to him about taking over from him, asked Guardiola to let him know and says he never heard back from him, just when he was announced as the next Bayern manager.

Seems Pep had the job if he wanted it that time anyway tbh. No idea about this time, it does however seem that he has been earmarked for City for quite a while though.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    That planes to manchester tweet is explainable.

Stoke signing a guy from Porto called Imbula so thats that flight.

ya you are probably spot on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I thought he was decent while at Newcastle in spells and a solid signing for Arsenal and thought he made a good start there, but injury and form have hampered him establishing himself.

Absolutely no place in our squad for him, short term or not, at 30 years of age who has struggled massively to establish himself in a top team.

While it's asking a lot of Varela and Jackson, it's where Van Gaal rarely shys away from, playing young players.

How far away is Rojo and Jones from a return to fitness does anyone know? Rojo is a player I really like, that you nearly forget is with the club he has such a torrid start to life at United.

Like this is exactly why you have a youth system, and reserves, to fill in for injuries and short term issues with playing staff.

• Why do I suddenly get the feeling something big at United is going to happen later....

I do enjoy it as much as it causes pain :) Love seeing how the younger guys get on when they are given the chance

Why do I suddenly get the feeling something big at United is going to happen later....

:pac: don't do it to yourself Mick..

Why do I suddenly get the feeling something big at United is going to happen later....

Have you been drinking? Unless a sponser is signed thats all that will happen.

• Advertisement

Because you're crazy?? :D

No signings make M!ck^ go something something.

We'll beat Stoke 5-0 tomorrow night.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Pep announces that he is joining City

Utd announce they have signed Leon Osman,Danny Rose and Mathieu Debuchy

Ya take that Pep,have some of that :)

Rojo was a dislocated shoulder at the start of December iirc so I would imagine he is close to a return

• Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Have you been drinking? Unless a sponser is signed thats all that will happen.

Unfortunately I'm in work. Maybe someone slipped something in my coffee. Blind optamism is fun though.
    I'd say it's a done deal with Tony the Tiger

Don't do it to yourself M!Ck^

Just had a look on Physioroom

Phil Jones has had one hell of an injury ravaged career to date! So many similar injuries too

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/3540/phil_jones_injury.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just had a look on Physioroom

Phil Jones has had one hell of an injury ravaged career to date! So many similar injuries too

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/3540/phil_jones_injury.html

He's some kivolez alright

Ian Abrahams (Moose)Verified account
    @BroadcastMoose
    Hearing a rumour @ManUtd are in for Omar Elabdellaoui, my source is not sure if there's enough time to get it done today

never even heard of him before. i doubt its true as surely if the club wanted him, they wouldnt have left it this late to put in a bid?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement