Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/premier-league/2016/01/31/19848582/martial-must-improve-at-manchester-united-insists-fellaini

Had a good lol at this.....

fellaini telling Martial that HE needed to improve :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Pochetino was brought in at the start of a big overhaul of United from a football perspective, i would be quite happy.

If United installed some football people in key decision making positions above or around the manager - people to oversee an overhaul of, and a refocusing/revisioning of the academy and scouting structures, and to drive the long term football vision of United (i don't believe there is really one in place bar BUY A GALACTICO) - then I think a manager like Pochetino would be a great selection for United. Someone to mould a new United side, over a number of years.

Really, I think United need to decide where they want to be in 5 and 10 years time - and look for a manager that can deliver that (along with setting the club up better to aid that). Fergie --> Moyes: No continuation of football style. Moyes -->LVG COMPLETE reversal of football style. LVG-->Mourinho/Simeone: Another reversal in style. That is, imo, part of the issue - decisions seem to be getting made on an ad-hoc basis - though possibly a successful LVG transitioning to a ready Giggs was a long term plan/vision that just hasn't worked out.

If I felt United had a plan to improve areas that need to be improved I'd be a lot happier. It just doesn't seem that is the case.

I want to see evidence of long term planning and commitment to being the best football team in the world. If that means taking a step back and starting afresh and trying to simply survive the next few years as City dominate with Pep, so be it - as long as the club is set up and building towards taking them, and the other elite football sides, on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Am I right in saying that this is the squad currently available for us?

De Gea, Romero, Varela, Borthwick-Jackson, Smalling, Blind, McNair, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini, Depay, Lingard, Mata, Januzaj, Pereira, Martial, Rooney, Keane.

Thats 19 players, 6 of whom I would consider fringe/youth players that shouldn't really be playing significant roles for a title chasing side. Gods thats tight. Its done now but we really needed to have bolstered that squad in the window just closed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

though possibly a successful LVG transitioning to a ready Giggs was a long term plan/vision that just hasn't worked out.

I don't think they ever thought LVG would struggle as bad as he has, and I can't imagine they could have foreseen Jose becoming available just as those struggles hit their peak.

I do wonder....I'm not saying there's not struggles and there would be outcry if he wasn't waiting in the shadows, but how much has Jose's availability added to the problem. I will freely admit, my patience with LVG ran dry pretty much the second Jose became available....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I would be very happy to see pochettino get the United job, seems to be a very clever and astute manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Thats 19 players, 6 of whom I would consider fringe/youth players that shouldn't really be playing significant roles for a title chasing side. Gods thats shíte. Its done now but we really needed to have bolstered that squad in the window just closed.

Fixed your post :)

• Am I right in saying that this is the squad currently available for us?

De Gea, Romero, Varela, Borthwick-Jackson, Smalling, Blind, McNair, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Carrick, Fellaini, Depay, Lingard, Mata, Januzaj, Pereira, Martial, Rooney, Keane.

Thats 19 players, 6 of whom I would consider fringe/youth players that shouldn't really be playing significant roles for a title chasing side. Gods thats tight. Its done now but we really needed to have bolstered that squad in the window just closed.

And I agree it is tight. A signing would have made sense considering the current injury list. But I still have a feeling there may be some restriction around spending considering his future is still in doubt.
    Or it could be that he purchased big in the summer and board telling LVG "Tough Titties you built your squad, make it work and get Utd into Europe."

Rojo & Darmian are expected back soon. Not sure what the story with Basti is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Am I right in saying that this is the squad currently available for us?

sure our fully fit squad has only 17 senior outfield players anyway, which is then supplemented by the likes of Mcnair, Lingard, Periera (and now Varela and CBJ) and the return of Adnan and Keane. that 17 also includes young players like Martial, Memphis and Shaw who are expected to step up straight away and then, several average players such as Jones, Fellaini and Valencia.

the club thought it was acceptable back in September, they probably think its still the correct thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Pochertino gets my vote. Give me a few trophy-less seasons of proper building over the current crap any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United aren't that far off track, it has been a crazy PL season, all went a bit pear shaped when Shaw got that broken leg, and a blossoming partnership between himself and Memphis was broken.

If United can get some good results in the next few games, we could be back in the mix. I am on the positivity monocycle, who knows maybe tonight I will lose balance depending on the result.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not sure what the story with Basti is though.

according to MEN, he was sent for another MRI scan as the injury is worst than was initially thought and he is out for another month.

personally, im not sure he is much of a loss as long as LVG is playing Morgan, Carrick and Herrera in there.

problem is, he has been playing Fellaini there instead but hopefully with carrick back now Fellaini is back on the banch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

zerks wrote: »
    Match thread people. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98582845#post98582845

Not on UK tv but everyone knows by now how to find it;)

Poor guys. I have it live on TV on 2 channels :pac:

PL coverage in ASIA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rest of the world.

• according to MEN, he was sent for another MRI scan as the injury is worst than was initially thought and he is out for another month.

personally, im not sure he is much of a loss as long as LVG is playing Morgan, Carrick and Herrera in there.

problem is, he has been playing Fellaini there instead but hopefully with carrick back now Fellaini is back on the banch.

I'd still class him as a loss. He has put in some good performances and yes some questionable ones but he's still got massive amounts of experience. Something we can always do with considering the amount of youth in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Where can one purchase one of these positivity unicycles?

• Where can one purchase one of these positivity unicycles?Tractors
    FYP

I'd still class him as a loss. He has put in some good performances and yes some questionable ones but he's still got massive amounts of experience. Something we can always do with considering the amount of youth in the squad.

but i think i am correct in saying most people see Morgan as first choice and then either Carrick or Herrera beside him as 2nd choice?

id love to see the following team tonight (given whats available).

DDG
    Darmian
    CBJ
    Smalling
    Daley

Morgan

Herrera
    Mata
    Memphis
    Martial
    Rooney

4-3-3, just go for it and f*ck this 2 DM sh*ite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Poor guys. I have it live on TV on 2 channels :pac:

PL coverage in ASIA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rest of the world.

I can watch any game in HD too.All the way from NZ.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A really weird transfer window indeed. On the surface, United’s inability to sign a single player in January is extraordinary. This is a club that had pre-season title aspirations and top-four requirements, yet sit fifth in the table. Throw in a defensive injury crisis and greater resources than almost any club in the world, and a January splurge could have been predicted. This was ‘save our season’ time.

Yet not only did United fail to sign any players, they failed to be seriously linked to any players, certainly not outside the Daily Express/Metro axis of bulls**t, anyway. There were murmurs about the odd deal or two, but nothing of any substance. The pressure on Louis van Gaal’s continued employment created a transfer vacuum, where thoughts of the club signing expensive players became ludicrous.

Furthermore, there was not even any great demand for signings from supporters. Having grown hoarse through their demands for entertaining football and/or Van Gaal to be removed from his position, fans could not stomach any more disapproval regarding new signings. It is as if an entire support has been deadened by their club, dejected into silence. Compare and contrast the reaction to Arsenal’s quiet summer (having finished third) to United’s quiet January having slipped to fifth.

On the final day of the transfer window, another bitter blow for United. Hopes of Guardiola coming to Old Trafford always seemed in vain, but their worst fears were confirmed. The ‘noisy neighbours’ have the music turned up full blast.

At the centre of this United slump sits Ed Woodward, football’s Mr Bean. Not only has he masterminded the descent from title favourites to top-four challengers, he has also somehow made Old Trafford an uninspiring destination for big-name signings.

To pinch a line from the excellent Bugle podcast, Woodward is the Premier League reverse Midas. Everything he touches turns to s**t.

Football 365.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I can watch any game in HD too.All the way from NZ.;)

Apple tv 2 sideloaded with Kodi does the trick for me.. HD easily done with fibre broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hook-a-homie-up

Same please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Apple tv 2 sideloaded with Kodi does the trick for me.. HD easily done with fibre broadband.

Vu+ solo2 is my new toy what an absolute beaat of a gadget.

jayo26 wrote: »

I was looking at them.. funds are low at the mo, might have a look again when I have some.

In regards to yesterday's Pep news changing things for some United fans (as was being discussed in here last night, when I actually started this post and intended to post it), maybe it does change things to some extent. I was foolish enough to believe that there was a whisker of a chance of us still landing Pep in the Summer. Now that that has been officially ruled out, there's a bit more of a 'What now?' feeling when it comes to who will be our next manager, and definitely more uncertainty about the club on my part.

I don't think there will be a third season for LVG, and there's apparently people at the club who oppose the appointment of Mourinho, so now that Pep has officially been ruled out, I fear our next managerial appointment might be another 'trial and error' candidate who will take the club even further down the Liverpool path. And by the way, we're already some steps down that path.

When Mourinho got the axe at Chelsea this season, I posted in here my opposition to him coming to United even though I reckoned LVG was done at the club. I would have liked to see him directly succeed SAF in 2013, but his return to Chelsea and the outcome of that (I didn't care that he won the league, his character and actions were becoming intolerable to me) was enough to put me off him for United no matter what way his CV reads.

Unfortunately, I'm getting fast to the point of asking the question now, even gone beyond it, of 'Which is the lesser of two evils to me?'

1) Appointing someone I now find an unsavoury character, but is a proven champion and one of the genuine best at his trade, all in the name of restoring glory to the name of Manchester United.

2) Watching the current shít show continue to unfold, worsen and take United towards a 4th/5th/6th consecutive season of not challenging for the title and therefore well into 'Liverpool' territory.

Before I answer that question I just want to expand on the Liverpool thing I mentioned. I do this not to get a dig in or for any reason related to United/Liverpool rivalry. I say this because they are an example of a club who won absolutely everything for a prolonged period and built up sustained success over a couple of decades. Our 90s/00s was their 70s/80s more or less. So imagine how it felt for those first few seasons after their last haul at the end of the 80s - 'We're coming back, we'll win it again soon', 'Our year' and all of that, and who can blame them after the dominance they exerted? Next thing you know, it's 26 years without a league title and the fans old and new have become institutionalised to underachieving. I can already see signs of it with United and how it's already become the norm at this point of the season to see Top 4 as our pinnacle and many of us being somewhat accepting of it in the moment.

So, back to my 'lesser of two evils' question. I have to hold my hands up here and say that at this point, it has to be Mourinho for the job and for the club's future. Can't have it every way. I would love a manager at United who is successful but who also helps old ladies across the street, cures cancer, stops his friends from clapping on the 1 and the 3, but it's not going to happen. What is happening though is this club are showing signs that they are not just entering, but in the early stages of doing a 'Liverpool'. Again, I don't say this as a dig, but as a warning from the past.

And the more time that passes without fixing it (or letting the current rot continue), the more my feeling of 'Doing a Liverpool would never be allowed happen to Manchester United' diminishes, or more simply put, my faith in the club's decision-makers is dwindling by the day.

TL:DR - Pep going to City worries me for our own managerial prospects and other reasons. There'll be no fúcking around next season; Pep, Klopp, Wenger, whoever Chelsea appoint long term will have chops - all managing teams in the P.L. next season. We can't afford to have LVG or Giggs at the helm once again or we take a few more steps down the 'Perpetual Top 4 Chasers' path, and I despise the fact that we seem to be already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I have a Vu+ Duo sitting idle in a box. Pain in the ass if you want english commentary.

Kodi is just easier and much better as you can use it as an alternative to Netflix etc.

s.welstead wrote: »
    I have a Vu+ Duo sitting idle in a box. Pain in the ass if you want english commentary.

Kodi is just easier and much better as you can use it as an alternative to Netflix etc.

Yes but you can actually put kodi launcher on the vu plus mate. I have just set up mine with 15.2 works better then the android box all the add ons ect.

• Advertisement

I was looking at them.. funds are low at the mo, might have a look again when I have some.

Absolute great box pal has everything you need and loads of Fun to mess with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Yes but you can actually put kodi launcher on the vu plus mate. I have just set up mine with 15.2 works better then the android box all the add ons ect.

Must be a powerful bit of kit,I had one of those Android boxes and found it to be a bit disappointing.

I must check out Robocop see will he have the game later :)

Absolute great box pal has everything you need and loads of Fun to mess with.

How much did you pay for it? Reason I sideloaded the apple tv was cause I had it sitting there. And it's miles better than the android box. I have a skybox f5s so don't think there would be any need for the vu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we want to compete with City now we get Mourinho, if we want to build for the future we get Pochettino although what level he can achieve remains to be seen. We could be 3 or 4 years down the line before it becomes clear that Pochettino isn't the one and then we're back to square one again.

Moyes, Van Gaal, Pochettino would be 3 managers in a row you wouldn't put near the top 4 managers in the club football now yet we should be one of the top 4 clubs in the world.

If we want to compete with City now we get Mourinho, if we want to build for the future we get Pochettino although what level he can achieve remains to be seen. We could be 3 or 4 years down the line before it becomes clear that Pochettino isn't the one and then we're back to square one again.

Moyes, Van Gaal, Pochettino would be 3 managers in a row you wouldn't put near the top 4 managers in the club football now yet we should be one of the top 4 clubs in the world.

IMO we need Mourinho. I dont think there is anyone else that would be available/accessible to come in and do the job as good as Mourinho. Poch would be one to look at further down the line

• Advertisement

Must be a powerful bit of kit,I had one of those Android boxes and found it to be a bit disappointing.

I must check out Robocop see will he have the game later :)

Yeh the vu+ has a gig of ddr4 ram and broadcom processor they work really smooth.

The android boxs are great just need to do some research on setting the up.
    How much did you pay for it? Reason I sideloaded the apple tv was cause I had it sitting there. And it's miles better than the android box. I have a skybox f5s so don't think there would be any need for the vu.

I got it for 280 mate crowds in swords do them overnight postage, the vu+ compaired to the f5s is 7 day tv guide, record on two separate channels, all channels update automatically and tonns of addons for iptv services ect.

Anyway bit off topic sorry.

Football 365.

lol.....the Woodward supporters wont like that at all though.

IMO we need Mourinho. I dont think there is anyone else that would be available/accessible to come in and do the job as good as Mourinho. Poch would be one to look at further down the line

I agree I think mourinho would Be the man to get the squad back on track and winning and pochetino would be ideal in a few years but if they don't want mourinho I would have pochetino next in line id suffer a few years of rebuilding if they was an actual plan and team looked like it was pulling in right direction.

stankratz wrote: »
    In regards to yesterday's Pep news changing things for some United fans (as was being discussed in here last night, when I actually started this post and intended to post it), maybe it does change things to some extent. I was foolish enough to believe that there was a whisker of a chance of us still landing Pep in the Summer. Now that that has been officially ruled out, there's a bit more of a 'What now?' feeling when it comes to who will be our next manager, and definitely more uncertainty about the club on my part.

I don't think there will be a third season for LVG, and there's apparently people at the club who oppose the appointment of Mourinho, so now that Pep has officially been ruled out, I fear our next managerial appointment might be another 'trial and error' candidate who will take the club even further down the Liverpool path. And by the way, we're already some steps down that path.

When Mourinho got the axe at Chelsea this season, I posted in here my opposition to him coming to United even though I reckoned LVG was done at the club. I would have liked to see him directly succeed SAF in 2013, but his return to Chelsea and the outcome of that (I didn't care that he won the league, his character and actions were becoming intolerable to me) was enough to put me off him for United no matter what way his CV reads.

Unfortunately, I'm getting fast to the point of asking the question now, even gone beyond it, of 'Which is the lesser of two evils to me?'

1) Appointing someone I now find an unsavoury character, but is a proven champion and one of the genuine best at his trade, all in the name of restoring glory to the name of Manchester United.

2) Watching the current shít show continue to unfold, worsen and take United towards a 4th/5th/6th consecutive season of not challenging for the title and therefore well into 'Liverpool' territory.

Before I answer that question I just want to expand on the Liverpool thing I mentioned. I do this not to get a dig in or for any reason related to United/Liverpool rivalry. I say this because they are an example of a club who won absolutely everything for a prolonged period and built up sustained success over a couple of decades. Our 90s/00s was their 70s/80s more or less. So imagine how it felt for those first few seasons after their last haul at the end of the 80s - 'We're coming back, we'll win it again soon', 'Our year' and all of that, and who can blame them after the dominance they exerted? Next thing you know, it's 26 years without a league title and the fans old and new have become institutionalised to underachieving. I can already see signs of it with United and how it's already become the norm at this point of the season to see Top 4 as our pinnacle and many of us being somewhat accepting of it in the moment.

So, back to my 'lesser of two evils' question. I have to hold my hands up here and say that at this point, it has to be Mourinho for the job and for the club's future. Can't have it every way. I would love a manager at United who is successful but who also helps old ladies across the street, cures cancer, stops his friends from clapping on the 1 and the 3, but it's not going to happen. What is happening though is this club are showing signs that they are not just entering, but in the early stages of doing a 'Liverpool'. Again, I don't say this as a dig, but as a warning from the past.

And the more time that passes without fixing it (or letting the current rot continue), the more my feeling of 'Doing a Liverpool would never be allowed happen to Manchester United' diminishes, or more simply put, my faith in the club's decision-makers is dwindling by the day.

TL:DR - Pep going to City worries me for our own managerial prospects and other reasons. There'll be no fúcking around next season; Pep, Klopp, Wenger, whoever Chelsea appoint long term will have chops - all managing teams in the P.L. next season. We can't afford to have LVG or Giggs at the helm once again or we take a few more steps down the 'Perpetual Top 4 Chasers' path, and I despise the fact that we seem to be already there.

best post of 2016 on here so far.

Came on around 2 to do some work. Sitting here playing FM and watching the thread.

Why do I fool myself saying ill do some work, it never gets done.

Will there be a MOTD type program on any channel tonight or tomoro?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

At the centre of this United slump sits Ed Woodward, football’s Mr Bean. Not only has he masterminded the descent from title favourites to top-four challengers, he has also somehow made Old Trafford an uninspiring destination for big-name signings.

To pinch a line from the excellent Bugle podcast, Woodward is the Premier League reverse Midas. Everything he touches turns to s**t.
    Football 365.

Think about it for a second, there is a guy hired and getting paid to write this kind of stuff. He probably calls himself a "journalist" and this is what he does for a living.

On top of that, someone actually hired this guy and will keep him in a job. A completely non-senseical piece of tripe that sounds like it was written by 13yo. You can only guess the target demographic for such tripe is the chav 16-19yo market who are over reactionary, impatient, unintelligent and expect UTD to win everything every season or its a disaster.

Just break down the last too paragraphs
    • Called the cheif exec Mr Bean. Unprofessionalism achieved. Check.
    • Claim the chief exec is mastermining the descentof UTD. Stupidity confirmed. Check (because EW wants to destrouy UTD :rolleyes:) Yes and EW is responsible for the failings of Moyes and LVG.
    • Say something completely untrue and easy to disprove like how he has "made Old Trafford an uninspiring destination for big-name signings". Mata, ADM, Falcao, Shaw, Basti, Depay, Martial, Darmain, Morgan all signed. Lol wot? I dont even?
    • Finish it off with a golden line that encompasses the stupidity and ridiculousness of all previous points ", Woodward is the Premier League reverse Midas. Everything he touches turns to s**t". See the players signed, Rooney and DDG kept on, debt massively slashed oh and the little matter of a 750M biggest in the entirity of sports history sponsorship deal.
    Yes everything he does is sh1te :pac:

You have to marvel at the mindset and intellect the type of person who would lap that crap up must have. They'd literally have trouble walking because their IQ would be so low they'd keep tripping over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Will there be a MOTD type program on any channel tonight or tomoro?

MOTD is on BBC1 at 22:45 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd like to see how Pochetino finishes out the season before making a call on him as a United managerial candidate. While he has some obvious strengths, if he fails to secure top 4 or win a cup/trophy, I don't see how that would separate him from a tier of manager where there is a large enough pool around Europe.

Plenty of managers have had good spurts and periods, but that doesn't equate to them being the candidate that will make us competitive for the league again.

I don't think this "progression" tag he has at the moment, where he has taken Spurs from the perceived doldrums, and is elevating them to some new level. Spurs are a club that should be assaulting the top 4, and only for their abject sporting director, and haphazard chairman, they would probably have capitalized properly. Poch has done nothing that Harry Redknapp hasn't done before him, or AVB was most likely going to do(and was when he was sacked)

Most likely harsh on him, I can see the clear qualities he has, but he is only taking Totenham back to the point they were at the height of Bale, I don't believe they have kicked onto some "new level" that many journalists and commentators seem to like to persuade people.

If he doesn't achieve a tangible target this season, I'm not so sure what separates him from Brendan Rodgers, Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes. And those three names would be quickly disregarded by most(myself included)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd like to see how Pochetino finishes out the season before making a call on him as a United managerial candidate. While he has some obvious strengths, if he fails to secure top 4 or win a cup/trophy, I don't see how that would separate him from a tier of manager where there is a large enough pool around Europe.

Plenty of managers have had good spurts and periods, but that doesn't equate to them being the candidate that will make us competitive for the league again.

I don't think this "progression" tag he has at the moment, where he has taken Spurs from the perceived doldrums, and is elevating them to some new level. Spurs are a club that should be assaulting the top 4, and only for their abject sporting director, and haphazard chairman, they would probably have capitalized properly. Poch has done nothing that Harry Redknapp hasn't done before him, or AVB was most likely going to do(and was when he was sacked)

Most likely harsh on him, I can see the clear qualities he has, but he is only taking Totenham back to the point they were at the height of Bale, I don't believe they have kicked onto some "new level" that many journalists and commentators seem to like to persuade people.

If he doesn't achieve a tangible target this season, I'm not so sure what separates him from Brendan Rodgers, Alan Pardew or Mark Hughes. And those three names would be quickly disregarded by most(myself included)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's almost spring, the evenings are starting to get longer, flowers are starting to bud, pretty soon the leaves will be reappearing on the trees and it will be bright when I walk out of the office in the evening. What a perfect time to win two f*cking games on the trot. Come on LVG, be cool. Just be cool for a minute and get the team to play good.

Thanks. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

On Mourinho, this is really good stats...

eYSJHdk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

It's almost spring, the evenings are starting to get longer, flowers are starting to bud, pretty soon the leaves will be reappearing on the trees and it will be bright when I walk out of the office in the evening. What a perfect time to win two f*cking games on the trot. Come on LVG, be cool. Just be cool for a minute and get the team to play good.

Thanks. xx

GUqFna1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »

So he has got them to the level they were at when they had Bale, without a player of his quality performing to that level, impressive in itself, imo.

I also think Spurs are a better side now than they were at the start of last season, and this has been achieved on a zero net spend, while improving the performance levels of the players at his disposal. His style of football is good too, and he has no fear of putting young players in.

For me, he would be one of the managers we should be looking at as a long term appointment - a longer term appointment than Mourinho or Pep would be, based on their CV. (Pep or Mourinho may stay longer in their next jobs given the right circumstances.)

I'm not saying we should be pushing for him over anyone else, and move heaven and earth to get him - but he would be a managerial target I would be happy with.

Though, as I said earlier, I think such an appointment needs to be done in conjunction with a refocusing of the entire ethos and structures of the club. If the club are going to retain their short term thinking, then Mourinho is the only sensible choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

stankratz wrote: »
    I fear our next managerial appointment might be another 'trial and error' candidate who will take the club even further down the Liverpool path. And by the way, we're already some steps down that path.

I have stated my concerns about the Liverpool effect repeatedly and its a very real concern in my opinion, and I do think that at this point we need to look short term and appoint Mourinho.

One point though, the club and fans need to accept that no matter who we appoint they could be a "trail and error" candidate. There are so many variables that its a fools game trying to predict who will be a guaranteed success, only Mourinho can claim to be a sure thing, all of the rest will be risks. I could easily see Guardiola failing at United, just as I could see Pochettino succeeding, in management its so hard to tell until they are in the door.

So the important thing is not necessarily who we appoint next, the important thing is that the club has the wherewithall and decisiveness to actually make a bloody decision. The worst thing we are doing is sticking with a man who has clearly failed, just as with Moyes we are sticking with Van Gaal long past the point where he should have gone and it is killing us long term. Had we acted before christmas this season could easily have been salvaged but the longer it drags on the more likely we handicap ourselves for the seasons to come.

Ed Woodward, stop ****ing around, go out and do your due diligence, look at your options and then whoever it is just make the bloody call.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Came on around 2 to do some work. Sitting here playing FM and watching the thread.

Why do I fool myself saying ill do some work, it never gets done.

FFS 2 hours later and I still haven't started.

I need to get a grip.

Oh well 1 hour 30 till United match so I might as well start then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will watch the game on MUTV at midnight. Got delayed with work, so can watch X-Files, plus other stuff as I await the witching hour. Hopefully it won't be ghastly.

xtal191 wrote: »

Strange no Herrera or Sneiderlin, didnt expect Darmian back so soon either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement