Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Nonsense Twatter chatter.

It was a family illness.

His brother is sick of the sight of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Carrick has such a calming influence on the team. Great servant to the club and still a class player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

bangkok wrote: »
    Carrick has such a calming influence on the team. Great servant to the club and still a class player

No mention of his partner tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

AH come on now. You can use the same statement for any team that lose 3-0. Stoke were bad but not as bad as many of the teams we've failed to have a shot against.

It was a great performance. A young left back handled one if the most aggressive and strong players in the premier league in John Walters. Carrick was fantastic and Felliani was good too. Our passing was crisp and fast and our 2nd and 3rd goals were things of beauty.

I'm not saying it will be a catalyst for the same type of performance for the rest of the season but **** me it was good to watch.

That wasn't a criticism. I really enjoyed the match and you can only beat what's put in front of you. But you have to take posts in the context that they're written, and that one was in response to someone asking "Should we play like that all the time?" I think it's perfectly fair to say that it might not have looked quite the same if Stoke had been as well organised as many of the teams United have faced this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭Sand

bangkok wrote: »

Pretty sure his contract expires in the summer, and regardless with him turning 35 in July United should be looking for a CM to replace him this summer. He has only played the full 90 minutes 8 times this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    No mention of his partner tonight?

2iv06qt.jpg

She seems to be a lovely lady :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jayo26 wrote: »
    2iv06qt.jpg

Not a fan of Roy Keane though

Lovely win tonight. Played nicely and funnily enough I actually enjoyed that

Weird isn't it? Watching United and enjoying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

2iv06qt.jpg

No wonder Giggs was missing!

Not a fan of Roy Keane though

Not many are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is Giggs going to Celtic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Not many are

They most certainly are

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

No, was away due to family illness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sand wrote: »
    Pretty sure his contract expires in the summer, and regardless with him turning 35 in July United should be looking for a CM to replace him this summer. He has only played the full 90 minutes 8 times this season.

He hardly relies on his athleticism and has played quite well this season imo. Having him able to come into the team is still a major asset. Even if it was for 10-20 games a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hopefully that was more like the United side we will see to the end of the season. I think there could still be significant improvements in the defensive side of the game but the attacking play was a world away from the dross that has been served up all season.

Interesting that this more pleasing attacking display came off one of our poorer displays from a possession point of view.

Thought all 3 goals were well worked and the second in particular was stunning. Mata could have had a few more and I think it was arguably harsh to pull Rooney up for the shoulder on Johnson.

CBJ and Darmian offered some good width - nice to see the full backs properly commiting to attack.

Rooney, I thought, was great. I know he has been on a good goal run of late - but tonight I thought he genuinely played well (I didn't see the derby game so couldn't comment on his performance in that game). It was nice to see him actually driving towards goal off the ball - second goal game from that strong running, which I feel he hasn't been doing enough.

Also thought Mata put in a better performance than we have seen for a while. Really should have done better with the header but his general play was good imo. Quick, good use of the ball and smart running/positioning.

As I say, I hope we see more of this in the remainder of the season - indeed hopefully it is a performance we build on rather than wonder why we didn't see it again.

It is almost like we did in fact sack LVG, the style and performance was just so different. A refreshing change - but almost perplexing at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Hopefully that was more like the United side we will see to the end of the season. I think there could still be significant improvements in the defensive side of the game but the attacking play was a world away from the dross that has been served up all season.

Interesting that this more pleasing attacking display came off one of our poorer displays from a possession point of view.

Thought all 3 goals were well worked and the second in particular was stunning. Mata could have had a few more and I think it was arguably harsh to pull Rooney up for the shoulder on Johnson.

CBJ and Darmian offered some good width - nice to see the full backs properly commiting to attack.

Rooney, I thought, was great. I know he has been on a good goal run of late - but tonight I thought he genuinely played well (I didn't see the derby game so couldn't comment on his performance in that game). It was nice to see him actually driving towards goal off the ball - second goal game from that strong running, which I feel he hasn't been doing enough.

Also thought Mata put in a better performance than we have seen for a while. Really should have done better with the header but his general play was good imo. Quick, good use of the ball and smart running/positioning.

As I say, I hope we see more of this in the remainder of the season - indeed hopefully it is a performance we build on rather than wonder why we didn't see it again.

It is almost like we did in fact sack LVG, the style and performance was just so different. A refreshing change - but almost perplexing at the same time.

I thought he played really well. Shocking attempt at the header but he was heavily involved in all 3 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

This is going to become one of those "Is Mata cup tied" things isn't it? :p

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

What squad number will he get :)

another thing to mention - while I thought CBJ was good going forward, I thought he also dealt with Walters well enough going the other way, especially considering the difference in physique, and Walters experience in using it. There were a few times Walters got the better of him, but in general I though CBJ dealt with him quite well. Positioned himself well and didn't allow himself to be bullied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Only going on MOTD highlights but v encouraging to see another v good display from CBJ,great ball whipped in for 1st goal.
    Mata is revelling in the added freedom he has got in last few games,Rooney is playing like that carefree kid Utd signed from Everton and Martial just oozes ability,strength and class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Nonsense Twatter chatter.

It was a family illness.

Brother must have been working late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Martial just wow, I love being excited when a players signs for a big team and turns out to be living up to his potential, just a joy to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Only going on MOTD highlights but v encouraging to see another v good display from CBJ,great ball whipped in for 1st goal.
    Mata is revelling in the added freedom he has got in last few games,Rooney is playing like that carefree kid Utd signed from Everton and Martial just oozes ability,strength and class.

Utd game ain't been on yet?

Danye wrote: »

it has been if you have the London/UK feed of MOTD. it is the NI version of the channel that is 30mins late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Danye wrote: »

BBC One HD FTW.

• Hopefully that was more like the United side we will see to the end of the season. I think there could still be significant improvements in the defensive side of the game but the attacking play was a world away from the dross that has been served up all season.

Is there a sentiment in there to state that Rooney / Mata etc have be been underperforming but gradually have improved since the Chelsea game.

Thrased this out about Rooney before, specifically with Pro F

If the focal point of our attack is Rooney and if he doesn't perform then the whole team suffers

I was selecting quality of chances over quantity

We didn't create a huge amount tonight but the execution and the finishing was clinical.
    Rooney has had a real good run of 6-7 games now and is starting to peak at the right time.

To note when talking quality over quantity look at the delivery from the full back Jackson for the first goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

https://twitter.com/jackmomufc/status/694651094526468096

Pass and move, such a simple concept yet 99% of the time under Van Gaal it has seemed like an alien concept altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Saw some tweet that in 2016 Rooney scored 6 league goals, Arsenal scored 4.

Long may it continue.

Also Arsenal haven't scored in 3 league games.
    Liverpool haven't scored in 300 mins (in all competitions).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'm liking Martial as left winger/Left wing forward, he has so much space to run at defenders. Playing as #9 he was playing with his back to the goal, now he is attacking the goal.

His pace, dribbling ability is used well playing wide. He needs to improve his shooting technique. He just can't generate any pace at all, his shooting from distance is worse than Sterling. Apart from that he has no weakness at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Sand wrote: »

There's no reason we can't sign him up and sign a replacement at the same time.

Assuming Carrack is happy to play second fiddle and have his game time managed.

I thought he played really well. Shocking attempt at the header but he was heavily involved in all 3 goals.

I think it came over Rooneys head so he might have lost sight of it for a split second.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Martial just wow, I love being excited when a players signs for a big team and turns out to be living up to his potential, just a joy to watch

Haven't felt this way watching a United player since Ronaldo banged in 40 goals for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Absolutely delighted with the performance last night....Hopefully the nightmare is over.... couldn't hack another false dawn... key players stepping up... confidence is a funny thing in footy.... can be so fragile... but when it's there... wow.
    Leicester showing what confidence can bring to the table. .. WE CAN DO IT... roll on the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's not hard to see the Link between possession play and stunted creativity.

Up til now our forwards havnt really had the chances to break as we have been mired in holding the ball up, always taking the safe option etc.

Its no conincidence that when we play a quicker brand of football and let the opposition faff around with the ball that we look a totally different team rather than trying to bore the opposition and sneak a goal late on.

We need to play like this in the next 3 to 4 games before it can be even considered that we have turned the proverbial corner.

Chelsea game is massive, then Sunderland.

The EL and FA cup is sandwiched between those games and the Arse.

Its obvious we have the tools capable of playing like we played last night, in every game, one hopes that LVG now realises that having 97% possession and limping to a 0-0 is not acceptable.

Rooney has really picked himself up after been written off by many, myself included.

Martial though is for me the catalyst, I said it early in the season and I will say it again, the boy is going to be a superstar. Ideally I'd like to see him given a rest for two of the 3 cup games. If we cannot beat Shrewsbury without him then we have no business being in the competition and hopefully a good away win in the EL will set it up for a comfortable home match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So what changed last night and what does it mean?

One game means absolutely nothing but it is interesting that we looked a very different team last night. I don't believe it was down to Stoke being ****e, we have faced plenty of ****e teams and struggled, so what was different mentally and tactically?

And there was a difference, there was a definite step away from the turgid possession football we have laboured under for so long. Players were running forward, passing forward, taking risks, but why the sea-change out of nowhere?

Was this like Ireland v France, with the players finally saying **** it, ignoring the manager and going out to play the way they wanted to? Did the manager make tactical changes? Last night wasn't the old way working, it was different, so why did it take so long to make these changes?

That game will either be a catalyst or a millstone for Van Gaal. Continue in that vein and he might just survive, return to the other crap form and it will be repeatedly pointed out as an example of what the players can do when not constrained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

With Chelsea, Sunderland and Arsenal as next 3 games what are we all happy with?

It's potentially over if there's a loss to Arsenal imo but at the same time I can't see 9 points out of those 3 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Liam O wrote: »
    With Chelsea, Sunderland and Arsenal as next 3 games what are we all happy with?

It's potentially over if there's a loss to Arsenal imo but at the same time I can't see 9 points out of those 3 games.

If we can beat Chelsea and Sunderland I'd take a draw with Arsenal.

If we beat them we can afford to drop points out of one of the others.

A minimum of 6 points is the requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm not looking past the Chelsea game tbh. We've had plenty of performances and be flat as fudge the next game
    Lets get out and go at Chelsea who are quite brittle. If we can do that and get a victory then we can think about going on a run, but outside of that lets be realistic. Talk of 9 points in next three league games and all that is silly.

Great performance last night not lets keep it going into the next game. The supporters have been through the wringer so much this season, lets hope February is our new dawn

On Martial, he's looking something special. For all the talk of the fee we paid, it could be a bargain come the end of the season.

On Rooney, fair play to him, I've been one of his worst critics but he's really pulled the socks up over the past number of weeks. Keep it going til the end of the season please Wayne.

I'm not looking past the Chelsea game tbh. We've had plenty of performances and be flat as fudge the next game
    Lets get out and go at Chelsea who are quite brittle. If we can do that and get a victory then we can think about going on a run, but outside of that lets be realistic. Talk of 9 points in next three league games and all that is silly.

Great performance last night not lets keep it going into the next game. The supporters have been through the wringer so much this season, lets hope February is our new dawn

On Martial, he's looking something special. For all the talk of the fee we paid, it could be a bargain come the end of the season.

On Rooney, fair play to him, I've been one of his worst critics but he's really pulled the socks up over the past number of weeks. Keep it going til the end of the season please Wayne.

• Advertisement

• brinty wrote: »

I'm actually confident for another reason.
    LVGs form against top sides is rather impressive.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm actually confident for another reason.
    LVGs form against top sides is rather impressive.

Its good because most top teams don't try to park the bus against us, defend on their 18 yard line in banks of 4/5 and try and hit us on the break or score from set pieces. The top teams try to play football and win on their own merits and that's what Chelsea will be trying to do. I think Martials speed going at Ivanovic could frighten the life out of him and draw fouls/penalties/cards etc..

If we can beat Chelsea and Sunderland I'd take a draw with Arsenal.

If we beat them we can afford to drop points out of one of the others.

A minimum of 6 points is the requirement.

Chelsea are in better form then arsenal they are the harder game and arsenal are doing their usual yearly drop off hopefully.

If we can get a result against chelsea the weekend and take seven points from 3 games I think we could be ahead of arsenal by the end of our game against them.

If we take our results against the top teams we are top of the form table so id be more confident playing chelsea and arsenal then I am Sunderland.

Choo bloody choo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Where is giggs?

All those wives and girlfriends, home alone, lonely...............i'm surprised its taken him this long !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Really enjoyed last night , team played with confidence and had Stoke back peddling all evening. Good performances all round.

I'm delighted for CBJ , great to see a young Utd player stepping up the plate when the pressure his on , he is very cool on the ball when under pressure and despite his small frame dealt with Walters very well , he's a smart player and hope he continues this run in the team while Shaw is recovering.

Our front 4 ran the show , although despite Lingards goal I still think he needs to do more to warrant his place in the team , he still has Depay , Adnan and Perera kicking his heels for that spot, which is good to see tbh.

So will that be the turning point? Let's hope so , let's hope it's finally...finally coming together for us. I'll happily admit I was wrong about sacking LVG if he turns it around now, would also be good for football to show that giving a manager time when under pressure can still yield a turnaround in this modern football age.

Bring on Chelsea - Our next 3 games out vital to our top four chances.

• Some feedback from LVG on Rooney;

Van Gaal revealed that everybody has forgotten that Rooney was benched for the away fixture against the Potters when they lost 2-0 as he is now a very important player for the squad.

“Everybody has forgotten he was a substitute against Stoke City away,” he said.

“It is for everybody always the same with me.

“You have to prove it every game, every training session and then you play. When he plays like this, I cannot say to him: ‘Go to the bench’.”

His latest goal has now seen him score 244 times for United as he is only five behind the record held by club legend Sir Bobby Charlton.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Some feedback from LVG on Rooney;

Van Gaal revealed that everybody has forgotten that Rooney was benched for the away fixture against the Potters when they lost 2-0 as he is now a very important player for the squad.

“Everybody has forgotten he was a substitute against Stoke City away,” he said.

“It is for everybody always the same with me.

“You have to prove it every game, every training session and then you play. When he plays like this, I cannot say to him: ‘Go to the bench’.”

His latest goal has now seen him score 244 times for United as he is only five behind the record held by club legend Sir Bobby Charlton.

Few months ago we didn't think he would break the record this season the way it's going now it should be blown out of the water, long may it last just hope the teams performances keep the same upwards curve as rooneys form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just wondering does anybody know the goals to games ratio of Rooney v's Charlton.

I am assuming he has played more games but have no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just wondering does anybody know the goals to games ratio of Rooney v's Charlton.

Leroy42 wrote: »

Rooneys is way better Bobby did it in 754 games or there abouts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement