Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

RobertKK wrote: »
    I should have added to my previous post, that hopefully Memphis starts doing what he did early in the season when he was scoring goals and what he did at PSV.

Shame his shot didn't go in. Thought he looked fairly lively and got into some decent positions. Weren't too many opportunities for him though. The game somewhat died off after the substitutions and we just didn't look capable of exploiting Stoke pressing forward as we had earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Carrick is great - but this stat could still be misleading, does it include games we lost with him?

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/694846569628061696

that's for only games where they drew 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Carrick is great - but this stat could still be misleading, does it include games we lost with him?

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/694846569628061696

ya, its very misleading - weve been s*it with him and s*it without him :)

still though, he is a massive steading influence in the team. the worry is that weve signed 3 players in there and as yet, none of them have stepped up to replace him and he is now 34....he will leave the club sooner or later:(

Rooney slowly but surely catching the other top scores in England now -

Lukaku - 19
    Vardy - 18
    Giroud - 18
    Kane - 18
    Aguero - 17
    Ighalo - 15
    Rooney - 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

When we have played crap Van Gaal has said we've played well just needed luck, I wouldn't be too surprised if he thought we played badly last night in terms of his philosophy

It wasn't slow and cautious, that was a once off game so far in Van Gaal's reign. If he was smart he'd show the players tapes of last night and tell them to forget the old way and play with that freedom and pace from here on.

As others have said one game means nothing in the grand scheme if we don't build on it, the players are there for Van Gaal to be doing a hell of a lot better

• When we have played crap Van Gaal has said we've played well just needed luck, I wouldn't be too surprised if he thought we played badly last night in terms of his philosophy

It wasn't slow and cautious, that was a once off game so far in Van Gaal's reign. If he was smart he'd show the players tapes of last night and tell them to forget the old way and play with that freedom and pace from here on.

As others have said one game means nothing in the grand scheme if we don't build on it, the players are there for Van Gaal to be doing a hell of a lot better

He's come out in interviews multiple times that he want's the team to move the ball quicker. And they did last night and he acknowledged it.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's come out in interviews multiple times that he want's the team to move the ball quicker. And they did last night and he acknowledged it.

It doesn't take 18 months for players to learn to move the ball quickly though, it has been an issue from the very start and it's been a completely obvious one to anyone who has watched United.

This will be LVGs Leverkusen game if he doesn't learn from it and change his philosophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

At the same time though we have less possession than the opposition - which in general is something LVG has not allowed (or coached to stop). It is possible to move the ball quickly and retain possession - Barca and Bayern do it - while last night we moved the ball quickly without the high retention.

So while LVG can say he wants quicker ball movement, which we saw last night, it doesn't mean that what we saw last night is what his philosophy has been aiming at.

There has been talk in recent weeks of LVG, possibly only on fanzine sites though, giving the players more freedom to dictate the style - it could be the explanation for the more direct attacking football we saw last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Last night wasn't just quicker, there was a definite difference in use of the ball. Its too simplistic to describe it as the players looking/passing forward instead of sideways, but there was a change there.

The question is why? That wasn't our previous tactics finally coming together, it was something different, so where did it come from and why has it taken so long?

If we knew that we might be able to judge if it was an aberration or not.

I think you can count on one hand the times we've conceded possession under Van Gaal, the fact Newcastle and last nights games have come so close together would indicate that either the players and/or Van Gaal are trying something else

There was more of a balance last night between the attack and defence, Newcastle was just all out attack with a shambolic defending display

It could be the equivalent of Moyes' Leverkusen game, a game we look back on and think what could have been if we'd done that all of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

if we could get Memphis firing for the last 3 months of the season, it could be a huge help.

a front 3 of Martial, Memphis and Rooney could do serious damage with Mata/Herrera, Morgan and Carrick behind them.

Mentioned recently that if Memphis could find some form he had while at PSV he could save Van Gaal his job. A lot to put on his shoulders, but I rate him that highly.

Don't want to lose the run of myself after last night. Too many false dawns previously, and Chelsea last season stopped our momentum in our tracks.

But, and it's a BIG but, depending on how the next 2-3 rounds of fixtures go, our season, and what we can deem as realistic, could drastically change.

Taking Memphis out of the firing line was a bit of a no brainer, but when he has come on he has looked very focused. And I mean as I'm watching him regarding tracking back, his movement, and what happens if he loses the ball. If he continues his confidence rebuilding and is gently re-introduced over the course of the next few games, and if the team continues to grow in confidence, could be brilliant for him coming into a team on a high.

There is going to come a point where Martial is going to flag. Having Memphis primed and ready and hitting some form could help eleviate that blow. (I'm assuming a 19 year old in his first PL season, is going to flag at some point in the coming weeks)

• It doesn't take 18 months for players to learn to move the ball quickly though, it has been an issue from the very start and it's been a completely obvious one to anyone who has watched United.

This will be LVGs Leverkusen game if he doesn't learn from it and change his philosophy

So according to you every single game in the last 18 months has been pure and utter ****e other than last night?

there is a very visible shift in possession alright in recent weeks, this is a good thing perhaps.

Newcastle 46%.
    Liverpool 47%.
    Stoke 47%.

they are our 3 lowest possessions this season in the league, but include our two best attacking performances and our best result (though we were awful in the liverpool game).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So according to you every single game in the last 18 months has been pure and utter ****e other than last night?

you are going a bit far with every single game as we have had some good performances, but by and large since LVG joined, the football has been absolutely awful.

the run of results in November and December was coming for a long long time and many saw them coming - the performances were so bad that it was only a matter of time before results caught up with them and that is what happened.

so being realistic and fair, i dont think its incorrect to say that under LVG, we had 18 months of s*it football.

Bundesliga player of the month:

November: Javier Hernandez
    December: Javier Hernandez
    January: Javier Hernandez

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

bangkok wrote: »

Player of the universe.

2016 - 2036: Anthony Martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brokenheart-54.gif
    raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

24 goals from 23 appearances apparently. No real surprise really, all that lad needed was regular gametime.

• Advertisement

The vast majority

I'm talking about performances not results, just because we nicked wins doesn't make good performances

• The vast majority

I'm talking about performances not results, just because we nicked wins doesn't make good performances

As am I

I can agree that the amount of bad performances outweigh the amount of good ones but it's not as blatantly bad as your making it out to be.

As am I

I can agree that the amount of bad performances outweigh the amount of good ones but it's not as blatantly bad as your making it out to be.

Other than last night can you recall 5 good performances under Van Gaal?

I can't

As am I

after the humiliating defeat to Leicster last season, it was consistently crap until that little revival around march - followed by a poor end to the season and pretty much consistently rubbish this season.

I can't

Challenge Accepted!

QPR - 4-0. that was a great day!
    Both liverpool games last season, the spurs and City games at the backend of last season. Liverpool at home and the Everton game this season?

• Other than last night can you recall 5 good performances under Van Gaa?

I can't
    Here's some ones for you this season, and yes the performances not just the results
    I will go over the 5 mark also

Man Utd 3 - Stoke City 0
    Derby County 1 - Man Utd 3
    Watford 1 - Man Utd 2
    Man Utd 0 - Chelsea 0
    Everton 0 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 0 - Man City 0
    Man Utd 3 -Sunderland 0
    Man Utd 3 - Ipswich town 0
    Man Utd 3 - Liverpool 1
    Club Brugge 0 - Man Utd 4

• Advertisement

Here's some ones for you this season, and yes the performances not just the results

Man Utd 3 - Stoke City 0
    Watford 1 - Man Utd 2
    Man Utd 0 - Chelsea 0
    Everton 0 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 0 - Man City 0
    Man Utd 3 -Sunderland 0
    Man Utd 3 - Liverpool 1

if them results were under fergie, only the Liverpool and everton results would have been considered good, the rest would have been the norm

• bangkok wrote: »
    if them results were under fergie, only the Liverpool and everton results would have been considered good, the rest would have been the norm

??

What's the "Norm"? How do you rate that as a performance?

As am I

i m sorry, you are wrong there. football can be down to opinions ,but leaving opinions aside up until last night we were 1 goal away from our worst goal scoring season in 42 years, since the club was relegated in 1974. there many other key factors which dictate why the last 18 months have been awful.

there has been some good days, but id say its 80-20 in favour of the poor side on this one.

??

What's the "Norm"? How do you rate that as a performance?

beating sunderland, Ipswich town, club brugge, derby county, Watford and the likes are hardly things to get excited about in fairness

beating sunderland, Ipswich town, club brugge, derby county, Watford and the likes are hardly things to get excited about in fairness

But we also drew 0-0 with Chelsea and City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Results for the ages they were.

• Advertisement

• bangkok wrote: »

So you are saying they were poor performances? Goal posts for the discussions in here like to grow legs

• But we also drew 0-0 with Chelsea and City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Results for the ages they were.

Performances. And the legs run faster, look the goals posts are out of bounds at this tage

Man Utd 3 - Stoke City 0
    Watford 1 - Man Utd 2
    Man Utd 0 - Chelsea 0
    Everton 0 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 0 - Man City 0
    Man Utd 3 -Sunderland 0
    Man Utd 3 - Liverpool 1

I think you had to look up results for that list instead of off memory remembering a good performance.

So you are saying they were poor performances? Goal posts for the discussions in here like to grow legs

I would call them professional performances. A good performance is where you concentrate for the full 90 mins, have little mistakes in the game and everyone is tuned in 100% for example the Everton away game.

Performances. And the legs run faster

You have some cheek talking about moving goalposts when you started this whole tangent with an absolute whopper of a non-sequitur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

24 goals from 23 appearances apparently. No real surprise really, all that lad needed was regular gametime.

Yeh that's all! :D

If only Fergie, Moyes, Ancelotti and LVG had known! Fools!

• You have some cheek talking about moving goalposts when you started this whole tangent with an absolute whopper of a non-sequitur.

LOL would you ever lie down will ya

I have discussed the performances of the team nothing more but you choose to move the goalposts in favor of having an argument and not for the first time.

• Being on this Positivity tractor is tough work. Need to get a more comfortable seat.

I have discussed the performances of the team nothing more but you choose to move the goalposts in favor of having an argument and not for the first time.

In fairness, you started this argument with an odd (il)logical leap from "It doesn't take 18months to learn a philosophy" to "So every single game apart from last night has been absolutely awful?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In fairness, you started this argument with an odd (il)logical leap from "It doesn't take 18months to learn a philosophy" to "So every single game apart from last night has been absolutely awful?"

On the other side of that, he was challenged to show 5 good performances (which even you chimed in on and showed more than 5) this is where the current performance =/= result arguement is coming from

• Advertisement

• astradave wrote: »
    On the other side of that, he was challenged to show 5 good performances (which even you chimed in on and show more than 5) this is where the current performance =/= result arguement is coming from

Thanks Dave, There's a spare seat being added. Either that or you can hop into the trailer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thanks Dave, There's a spare seat being added. Either that or you can hop into the trailer :pac:

I'll hold off till after the Chelsea game thanks :D still think this is a false dawn

• I think you had to look up results for that list instead of off memory remembering a good performance.

Think what you like, You asked the question and it was answered.

Not my issue if your memory can't recall those said games as being good performances but I do recall them. And they were enjoyable to watch. Particularly the Pool game, who could forget Martials goal and oddly enough Martin Tyler having a orgasm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcH2ERSw-CE

The Stone Roses- This is the one

love this when it gets banged out in Old Trafford

Even for this forum this was a post staggering in its misrepresentation.
    It doesn't take 18 months for players to learn to move the ball quickly though, it has been an issue from the very start and it's been a completely obvious one to anyone who has watched United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

who could forget Martials goal and oddly enough Martin Tyler having a orgasm

ezgif-3366103162.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcH2ERSw-CE

The Stone Roses- This is the one

love this when it gets banged out in Old Trafford

we have a disney tune in its place now......:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Even for this forum this was a post staggering in its misrepresentation.

uhuh

The vast majority

As am I

I can't

Man Utd 3 - Stoke City 0
    Watford 1 - Man Utd 2
    Man Utd 0 - Chelsea 0
    Everton 0 - Man Utd 3
    Man Utd 0 - Man City 0
    Man Utd 3 -Sunderland 0
    Man Utd 3 - Liverpool 1

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• uhuh

It's OK though. It's me that's moving the goalposts apparently ;)

• Advertisement

we have a disney tune in its place now......:eek::eek::eek:

thought that was just a one off?

Fanfare for Rocky was always the main one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement