Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheTownie wrote: »
    Squad for Europa League is out too.

hope we go with the following next thursday -

if Jones, Rojo and Valencia are back, great chance to give them game time and leave out the young lads at the back and keep them for the league until the others are up to speed.

we are 3 players short for this competition though to do well in it.

Romero
    Varela
    McNair
    Daley
    CBJ
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    Adnan
    Herrera
    Memphis-
    Keane

• Headshot wrote: »
    You bastard

Clearly you don't like anyone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

if we finish 4th would people see that as a good or bad season overall, assuming we dont win either cup?

i think if many people were being honest, they would have expected us to finish higher than 4th and mount a title challenge but based off how the season has panned out, 4th will be seen as a success even though the reality is, 4th is not good enough for United.

We are 7 points off 2nd place, we can do better than 4th if we keep performing like the last two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10

• Headshot wrote: »
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10

There you go, have a thanks and a quote

Bet ya il pop up on the list now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Headshot wrote: »
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10
    Headshot X 10

beckheadexplode.gif

If I dont love myself, no one will

all alone

If I done love myself, no one will

all alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Let's all thank Headshots posts, so next year he won't be alone Valentines Day.

Hell, let's make him poster of the day, to show our love and appreciation.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    We are 7 points off 2nd place, we can do better than 4th if we keep performing like the last two games.

If we could beat chelsea at the weekend I think it could be a turning point. THey are struggling themselves this season but psychologically I reckon it will still be considered a big game and if we can performed well and win it, it will do far more for team confidence than the Derby or Stoke games would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

hope we go with the following next thursday -

if Jones, Rojo and Valencia are back, great chance to give them game time and leave out the young lads at the back and keep them for the league until the others are up to speed.

we are 3 players short for this competition though to do well in it.

Romero
    Varela
    McNair
    Daley
    CBJ
    Carrick
    Fellaini
    Adnan
    Herrera
    Memphis-
    Keane

Januzaj is cup tied. Forgot to mention that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

an FA Cup win and a top 4 finish would be a fantastic achievement now all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If we could beat chelsea at the weekend I think it could be a turning point. THey are struggling themselves this season but psychologically I reckon it will still be considered a big game and if we can performed well and win it, it will do far more for team confidence than the Derby or Stoke games would have.

The next 3 games will show if we have indeed turned a corner,Chelsea,Sunderland and Arsenal.LVG seems to do ok against the big teams,it was the expected cannon fodder that we struggled against so badly.Sunderland will be no pushovers.If and a big if we score first in those 3 games we will win all of them.As you say,Chelsea are struggling and Arsenal seem to have their usual mental block which is stopping them winning games,Sunderland under Sam will be up for it but if we go ahead then we can contain them easily enough.

Damn this new found positivity..........we are going to be let down again,aren't we??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ever since I stopped posting "we are not signing Vidal" and tried to contribute, no one loves me.

**** you all.

I'm supporting Liverpool now. Ye swamp-dwelling scumbag Mancs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

easy win this Sunday. van Gaal will have the players up for it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zkSU9AN1M8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TheTownie wrote: »
    Didn't see it posted here but news on twitter this morning was Jorge Mendes telling O Jogo newspaper that Utd made an offer for Renato Sanches but Benfica want €60M flat. Interesting to see if Utd try again in the summer.

What's the skinny on him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ever since I stopped posting "we are not signing Vidal" and tried to contribute, no one loves me.

**** you all.

I can give you a card for "Mancs" if you want to really help the transistion over to being a Liverpool fan :P

**** you all.

But if you took your catchphrase to their thread it would just be a factual statement without humorous undertones ......

200_s.gif

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I can give you a card for "Mancs" if you want to really help the transistion over to being a Liverpool fan :P

He said the S word

THE S WORD!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

**** you all.

we all <3 you Future Guy,

to the dark side don't go
    no return from it there is
    the van gaal of Louis in his trust you must place
    from the precipice step back you shall

• Advertisement

• 15500935.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Then you have another incorrect assumption in that I want Mourinho at the club, whereas if you had read any of my posts on the subject you would already know I don't want him anywhere near the club.

Me bad..... take my assumption back......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Let's all thank Headshots posts, so next year he won't be alone Valentines Day.

Hell, let's make him poster of the day, to show our love and appreciation.

:)

If we're going to do this we have to wait until he makes the most absolutely mundane post possible and then all pile on with thanks.

Actually, any of his posts would do. :pac: (Sorry I had to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

For me, considering how the season has panned out, top 4 would be a success. Had hoped top 2/3 and a cup win before the season started.

On the boardsie love thing are all these United thread posters??

The Kew Tour 10
    Mickeyt086 9
    Blatter 6
    Killwill 6
    Pendreds Fists of Fury 5
    adox 5
    Pro. F 5
    Mitch Connor 5
    homerjay2005 5
    Jimmy Iovine 4
    Giggsy11 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As good as United have played the last 2 days I think Chelsea is a big step up. They are in a similar position of trying to prove themselves after under-performing for the majority of the season. I mean man for man in terms of talent it's quite close but they have a few players who are better than anything United have to offer imo and can step up their game.

It's a good acid test I guess to see if the last 2 games were another false dawn :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

FutureGuy over on the Liverpool thread be all "This will NOT be our year!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Vic Vinegar x10
    Pro. F x6
    Lord TSC x5
    Giggsy11 x5
    Whatsisname x5
    yermandan x4
    adox x4
    beno619 x4
    The_Kew_Tour x4
    TheDoc x4
    ericzeking x4

200_s.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

**** you all.

Seems Vidal has gone on the drink to give the rest of the teams in the Bundesliga a fighting chance

He could down a bottle of whisky and still be the best midfielder in this league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Seems Vidal has gone on the drink to give the rest of the teams in the Bundesliga a fighting chance

He could down a bottle of whisky and still be the best midfielder in this league

Is this the third or fourth time already, could ruin his career if it continues

• Advertisement

United to have their traditional 2nd half of the season resurgence, which had been hit and miss recently...

Arsenal have form that is heading south,
    I don't think Man City are that great either.
    Leicester went through a rough patch but seem back on track, but the quality of Liverpool can be questioned as Klopp will need a big budget for the summer to get proper quality. So with Leicester it could all crumble or they could win the league, I don't know.

Spurs are the best team in the league right at this moment, so we need to keep tracking them.

I refuse to rule out any of the top 5 winning the league but I don't believe Arsenal will, when January comes in three 0-0 matches is not title winning form.

btw West Ham have the best form along with Spurs so an eye needs to be kept on them as they remain a threat as long as they can overtake us.

If we can win our next few PL games, I don't think we will be far off 2nd. So as always every game is crucial.

The play may not have been great in November in the league but from 3 games we got 2 wins and a draw away to Leicester, which right now wasn't bad.
    It was the matches in December that we lost that were costly, where we got 3 losses and 2 draws.
    A home draw to West ham was not a good result, but not that bad either given they are just a point behind us so they are a decent team.
    But losing at home to Norwich, away to Bournemouth was really bad, and Stoke at home are different to Stoke away and would have been forgivable if we hadn't lost the two before that. btw Bastian was suspended for those three defeats.
    Then the Chelsea draw which saw an improvement in play.
    So onto January, 2 wins 1 draw, 1 loss.

Average points per game per month this season:
    August: 1.75
    September: 3.0 a perfect score
    October: 1.33
    November: 2.33
    December: 0.40
    January: 2.25

December was an anomaly, August and October were not great, November and January were good, and September was perfect.
    If we had the form of November and Janaury for December, we would be around level with Leicester right now.

It seemed the team were on Christmas holidays early in December or was it something mentally that hit them after the CL disaster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

United to have their traditional 2nd half of the season resurgence, which had been hit and miss recently...

Arsenal have form that is heading south,
    I don't think Man City are that great either.
    Leicester went through a rough patch but seem back on track, but the quality of Liverpool can be questioned as Klopp will need a big budget for the summer to get proper quality. So with Leicester it could all crumble or they could win the league, I don't know.

Spurs are the best team in the league right at this moment, so we need to keep tracking them.

I refuse to rule out any of the top 5 winning the league but I don't believe Arsenal will, when January comes in three 0-0 matches is not title winning form.

btw West Ham have the best form along with Spurs so an eye needs to be kept on them as they remain a threat as long as they can overtake us.

If we can win our next few PL games, I don't think we will be far off 2nd. So as always every game is crucial.

The play may not have been great in November in the league but from 3 games we got 2 wins and a draw away to Leicester, which right now wasn't bad.
    It was the matches in December that we lost that were costly, where we got 3 losses and 2 draws.
    A home draw to West ham was not a good result, but not that bad either given they are just a point behind us so they are a decent team.
    But losing at home to Norwich, away to Bournemouth was really bad, and Stoke at home are different to Stoke away and would have been forgivable if we hadn't lost the two before that. btw Bastian was suspended for those three defeats.
    Then the Chelsea draw which saw an improvement in play.
    So onto January, 2 wins 1 draw, 1 loss.

Average points per game per month this season:
    August: 1.75
    September: 3.0 a perfect score
    October: 1.33
    November: 2.33
    December: 0.40
    January: 2.25

December was an anomaly, August and October were not great, November and January were good, and September was perfect.
    If we had the form of November and Janaury for December, we would be around level with Leicester right now.

It seemed the team were on Christmas holidays early in December or was it something mentally that hit them after the CL disaster?

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
    All that shows is that United are a ridiculously inconsistent team.
    There is nothing to suggest they will put a good run of games together.
    I hope Im wrong, but I just dont see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't forget July, that was brilliant as well!!!

Its frustrating really, in a meaningless internet fashion. I spent time 5/6 months back trying to explain to somebody why picking up the few results we did was less important than the fact that we were playing horribly, because with performances like that the poor results would inevitably follow.

Lo and behold the inevitable happened, we continued our poor play and the defeats followed.

Now after one good game I suspect we are all going to be told that actually, things weren't so bad back then, and everything is going to be hunky dory. According to the post above January was actually a good month, and December was just an anomaly that could have happened to any team! :pac: September was absolutely perfect in fact! :pac: Indeed yesterday another poster strangely tried to say we haven't just had 18 months of rubbish performances, as if we might forget what we have been watching all this time.

I just don't get this need by some fans to rewrite history. Its bemusing to me. I am bemused.

killwill wrote: »
    If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
    All that shows is that United are a ridiculously inconsistent team.
    There is nothing to suggest they will put a good run of games together.
    I hope Im wrong, but I just dont see it.

Look at it this way, the mean figure for those 6 months of games is 1.84 points per game.
    The December 0.4 points per game is way off the average and at the other end the perfect 3 is off as well.
    So even if the best and worst month are removed and the average of the rest, it points to the team being around 6 points below of where they should be.

The stats do point to under performance from anywhere from 6 to 10 points and that is the cost of inconsistency, but December was strange nonetheless.

Don't forget July, that was brilliant as well!!!

Its frustrating really, in a meaningless internet fashion. I spent time 5/6 months back trying to explain to somebody why picking up the few results we did was less important than the fact that we were playing horribly, because with performances like that the poor results would inevitably follow.

Lo and behold the inevitable happened, we continued our poor play and the defeats followed.

Now after one good game I suspect we are all going to be told that actually, things weren't so bad back then, and everything is going to be hunky dory. According to the post above January was actually a good month, and December was just an anomaly that could have happened to any team! :pac: September was absolutely perfect in fact! :pac: Indeed yesterday another poster strangely tried to say we haven't just had 18 months of rubbish performances, as if we might forget what we have been watching all this time.

I just don't get this need by some fans to rewrite history. Its bemusing to me. I am bemused.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, so we just have to count how many swallows follow the swallow that appeared for the Stoke game. If none the stats will show the one swallow was an anomaly and not the norm.

I think most of our matches have been awful to watch, and my posts above were not on style of play but the results, which are fact based and from facts one can obtain stats.
    I want exciting football, but right now I want results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

In both the Derby and Stoke game we managed to score inside the first 20 minutes and went on to win both games very comfortably. The team were able to relax and actually play some fairly effective counter attacking football while the opponents tried to press forward for an equaliser.

the Chelsea game will be interesting, especially if we don't score that all important early goal!

if we finish 4th would people see that as a good or bad season overall, assuming we dont win either cup?

i think if many people were being honest, they would have expected us to finish higher than 4th and mount a title challenge but based off how the season has panned out, 4th will be seen as a success even though the reality is, 4th is not good enough for United.

The way the season has gone, it is another step towards United fans' minds being conditioned into seeing Top 4 as a victory. I'm included in that, Top 4 would be an achievement after our November/December and stop-start season in general.

At the start of the season, I would have had this group of players challenging in some way for the league and definitely qualifying out of that CL group. Then November and December happened, now I'll be delighted for United to finish in the Top 4, maybe an FA Cup semi-final, and next year we can go again with a clean slate, it will be our year then.

While the victory and performance against Stoke the other night was promising, I've long given up hope of 'this is the game where we get our shít together for the rest of the season'. I'm fully expecting us to trip over ourselves soon again by the time 90 minutes are up against Sunderland (maybe not against Chelsea though, LVG actually does alright against the big teams) and the Stoke performance to become a rare patch of clear water in a sewage tank almost overflowing with shíte. Just like the Spurs, Liverpool and City games from last season, and the Everton game from earlier this season.

What is more frustrating is that that performance against Stoke was one of a title-contending side. Where has that been for almost every other game this season? Every player on the field for us played like we expect them to play every week. Is it as simple as an early goal? As simple as the manager allowing more freedom? And on the 'freedom' thing, why are Lingard and Rooney coming out saying that the team are playing with more freedom when LVG is insisting that it's exactly the same as always? Either way, I'd like to think that something has changed tactically and the improvements we've seen against Real Derby and Stokelona aren't just a blip.

Getting back to your question Homer; In current context, finishing 4th would be a good thing, but overall makes for a very disappointing season for the club.

Quandary wrote: »
    In both the Derby and Stoke game we managed to score inside the first 20 minutes and went on to win both games very comfortably. The team were able to relax and actually play some fairly effective counter attacking football while the opponents tried to press forward for an equaliser.

the Chelsea game will be interesting, especially if we don't score that all important early goal!

In fairness, even at the worst of times the first 10 or so minutes were impressive enough, it was what came after that was the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

jayo26 wrote: »
    I dont care im on brinty's list it's quality over quantity IMO :):)

Last time i ever send you a V card with choo choo on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Last time i ever send you a V card with choo choo on it.

Thank fuk for that :):):)

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    How am I not in anyone's list?!

MarsBarx10
    Fellaini x9
    Bangkok x8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Quandary wrote: »

But its long been the case that the correct tactical approach to playing Van Gaals United is to sit back, sit tight and let us have our precious possession all we want around the middle. Taking your point as true then we should expect that to continue and teams to focus on preventing us getting early goals, and as enjoyable as the Stoke game was it doesn't allay any fears we have about breaking down teams sitting very deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Looking for my name on lists on here like...

REeDFVO.gif

I'm only on one list. It must be the name change. Right, guys?

Guys?
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    How am I not in anyone's list?!

Whatsisname
    Knex.
    Pro. F
    Jimmy Iovine
    yermandan
    HigginsJ
    Mars Bar
    The_Kew_Tour
    Pudsy33
    Donnielighto
    Copper_pipe

Congratulations to the above. Ye showed great hustle out there this year and I can't think of a better reward than an appearance on this super exclusive list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I'm on none of you guy's lists.

TpMXmk6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Haha brilliant ^^^^

But its long been the case that the correct tactical approach to playing Van Gaals United is to sit back, sit tight and let us have our precious possession all we want around the middle. Taking your point as true then we should expect that to continue and teams to focus on preventing us getting early goals, and as enjoyable as the Stoke game was it doesn't allay any fears we have about breaking down teams sitting very deep.
    Do you think having loads of possession is a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's 9 goals and 4 assists in all competitions isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

A pattern I've noticed emerging in the Boards compatibility lists prompted me to check out my own...

3hmzhqs.png

And yes, as suspected, yermandan is The Constant

1pWjfgt.jpg?1

Also, I don't think I appear on anyone's list

BULrSDa.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement