Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/mourinho-has-signed-man-united-agreement-sources-in-portugal-stat

During what has been a rather unusual quiet day in the world of transfers, El Confidencial have come to the rescue with a lengthy article full of bombshells.

The Spanish online newspaper, in a lengthy article, are 100% certain that Mourinho will be Manchester United’s manager next season.

According to sources in Portugal, Jorge Mendes has done his job, and the Special One will take over from Louis Van Gaal, meaning the Dutchman will not be able to see out his contract at Manchester United.

El Confidencial report that Mourinho has already signed an agreement with the Premier League club, and there is only one question left to answer: will he take over soon or in the summer?

qbv07gh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You beat me to if Lord TSC.

Came on to post that. A lot of things are pointing to Mourinho now being our next manager with rumour after rumour.

Louis probably wanted it anyway, so Louis get what he wants and Jose gets what he wants.

Apparently it's not from a shíte source either. At this stage, I would like if LVG could limp us across the line to 4th like last season, and Jose take the reigns from 2016/17.

Now watch as LVG's United go on to win the remaining 14 games, and the league :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/mourinho-has-signed-man-united-agreement-sources-in-portugal-stat

During what has been a rather unusual quiet day in the world of transfers, El Confidencial have come to the rescue with a lengthy article full of bombshells.

The Spanish online newspaper, in a lengthy article, are 100% certain that Mourinho will be Manchester United’s manager next season.

According to sources in Portugal, Jorge Mendes has done his job, and the Special One will take over from Louis Van Gaal, meaning the Dutchman will not be able to see out his contract at Manchester United.

El Confidencial report that Mourinho has already signed an agreement with the Premier League club, and there is only one question left to answer: will he take over soon or in the summer?

2u5tmjt.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

stankratz wrote: »
    A pattern I've noticed emerging in the Boards compatibility lists prompted me to check out my own...

3hmzhqs.png

You're on my list, Bruh.

Capture_zps9zma8ixk.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Mourinho actually is palatable for the board, then the time to sign him was a month ago when he could have made use of the transfer market and geared us up for a late title surge. I suspect Jose is one of those who keeps his ear to the ground and always has a list of players he thinks could add to a club, so I wouldn't have bet against him bringing in somebody useful in January.

Waiting until the summer seems like a waste of half a season. I certainly hope it would will have been down to some unknown gardening leave clause, and not just indecisiveness on the part of the board.

If Mourinho actually is palatable for the board, then the time to sign him was a month ago when he could have made use of the transfer market and geared us up for a late title surge. I suspect Jose is one of those who keeps his ear to the ground and always has a list of players he thinks could add to a club, so I wouldn't have bet against him bringing in somebody useful in January.

Waiting until the summer seems like a waste of half a season. I certainly hope it would will been down to some unknown gardening leave clause, and not just indecisiveness on the part of the board.

There were claims Jose didn't want to take over a team mid season. Who knows what his severance package involved.
    Chelsea might have him on gardening leave until the season ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I seem to be on everyones matchmaking list, I'm not a whore, I swear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    There were claims Jose didn't want to take over a team mid season. Who knows what his severance package involved.
    Chelsea might have him on gardening leave until the season ends.

Or just doesn't fancy being expected to drag the team out of a battle for forth mid season. Wait till summer, bring in the players he wants and have a fresh start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Liam O wrote: »
    Do you think having loads of possession is a bad thing?

When it's Van Gaal , then yes possession is an awful thing as other things (ie goals, exciting football and pace amongst others) are neglected.

It's no coincidence that our best two attacking displays came this season in our two lowest possession games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Or just doesn't fancy being expected to drag the team out of a battle for forth mid season. Wait till summer, bring in the players he wants and have a fresh start.

The thing is, based off our financial statement a few months back, there is no major transfer plans for another squad rebuild and majority of the work is done- just 1 or two tweaks here and there this summer.

The last one didn't work-I don't think the Glazers will be splashing top much cash for a new manager like we would hope and expect and above all else need.

Maybe Jose wasn't available to come in January as he knew there was no funds being released for transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He got the door from Chelsea so it's hard to see them also being able to have a clause that prevents him from taking over another PL club this season.

It's potentially something to allow LVG to walk away with dignity at the end of the season.

Though then one must ask are they willing to risk not qualifying for the CL?

Or it could just be a load of copy and paste from one "reputable" source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm hoping he has a non compete clause because it doesn't make sense otherwise

Mourinho with no pressure for these last couple of months could get a title challenge going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Doesn't sound like Jose to me, if he wants the job that badly I would expect him to be pumping to get at it, especially to get a head start on Pep. If I knew for sure he didn't fancy the fight then I would far less ready to appoint him.
    It's potentially something to allow LVG to walk away with dignity at the end of the season.

I would certainly hope not, the club has far bigger priorities than Van Gaals dignity.

• Advertisement

The thing is, based off our financial statement a few months back, there is no major transfer plans for another squad rebuild and majority of the work is done- just 1 or two tweaks here and there this summer.

The last one didn't work-I don't think the Glazers will be splashing top much cash for a new manager like we would hope and expect and above all else need.

Maybe Jose wasn't available to come in January as he knew there was no funds being released for transfer.

You are so negative about the finances of the club.
    They gave no figure for transfers from what I see last November, but the report was positive.
    It was reported today we offered €40 million plus €20 million in add ons for Renato Sanches but Benfica wanted the full €60 million to be paid, and no add ons.

United want a big name and maybe it was United who Neymar Sr was referring to when he said he had an offer of €190 million for Neymar Jr. He said there was no offer from Real Madrid who are rumoured to want him.
    I think we have the money to spend and Ed wants to spend big on the right player as the right player if a superstar will drive revenue.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ed was to offer Neymar a salary that he knows Barcelona can't match.
    If not Neymar, then some other star, maybe we go for Ronaldo and link up Jose and Ronaldo who seem to be on good terms now.
    But I am sure we have the money to spend big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mourinho is getting his wages paid in full until he finds a new job or his contract ends with Chelsea.

That's around 250,000 a week into the bank account.

What a life

You are so negative about the finances of the club.
    They gave no figure for transfers from what I see last November, but the report was positive.
    It was reported today we offered €40 million plus €20 million in add ons for Renato Sanches but Benfica wanted the full €60 million to be paid, and no add ons.

United want a big name and maybe it was United who Neymar Sr was referring to when he said he had an offer of €190 million for Neymar Jr. He said there was no offer from Real Madrid who are rumoured to want him.
    I think we have the money to spend and Ed wants to spend big on the right player as the right player if a superstar will drive revenue.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ed was to offer Neymar a salary that he knows Barcelona can't match.
    If not Neymar, then some other star, maybe we go for Ronaldo and link up Jose and Ronaldo who seem to be on good terms now.
    But I am sure we have the money to spend big.

Daily mail have neymar snr quoted as saying yes united were the club that bid for neymar in the summer.

There is alot of money there by sounds of it and even if we don't make champs league this year the new tv deal will make up a shortfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What happens to Mata if Mourinho is made boss?

J. Marston wrote: »

Sent off to Barcelona in part exchange for Neymar. We can all live with that :)

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Daily mail have neymar snr quoted as saying yes united were the club that bid for neymar in the summer.

There is alot of money there by sounds of it and even if we don't make champs league this year the new tv deal will make up a shortfall.

Ya but all these sponsorships are ruining the the club and are the reason the team have underperformed.

I heard the Glazers and Ed want the players to come dressed in Mickey Mouse ears before every game.

Apparently the players are going to have to do cameos in the new Star Wars movie.

Word from the stands is that Rooney is going to play Jabba the Huts son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I think we can guess....:( he will be cup tied!

I think we can guess....:( he will be cup tied!

Off to celtic with giggs id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Looking for my name on lists on here like...

REeDFVO.gif

I'm only on one list. It must be the name change. Right, guys?

Guys?

You're on mine!

zerks
    Mikeyt086
    The_Kew_Tour
    irishfeen
    Pendreds Fists of Fury
    Lord TSC
    b.gud
    Whatsisname
    Your Airbag
    wp_rathead
    thomond2006

I'm on no one's though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

bangkok wrote: »
    Sent off to Barcelona in part exchange for Neymar. We can all live with that :)

I couldn't!! I wonder would Mourinho give him another chance. Anything that I read previously said Jose didn't rate his tracking back and Oscar was a better #10.

Edit: I think Neymar would be too lightweight for PL & I fear he couple end up being a Di Maria type signing

Sacrifices would have to be made but I'd still be jumping aboard the special one train, imo it would be going straight to the top

I reckon Depay would be in some bother too, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Martial, De Gea, Smalling maybe Darmian and maybe Rooney are the only ones I think Mourinho would have in the starting 11. I reckon Stones, a CM and an attacker would be brought in.

I couldn't!! I wonder would Mourinho give him another chance. Anything that I read previously said Jose didn't rate his tracking back and Oscar was a better #10.

Edit: I think Neymar would be too lightweight for PL & I fear he couple end up being a Di Maria type signing

It is hard to know what happens to Mata. The thing is when Mata was at Chelsea he said he would like Chelsea to play like United (Fergie United, not the Moyes United) so maybe he left as it was United he wanted to be at, rather than being pushed out, due to lack of game time.

As for Neymar, he gets kicked around the pitch in Spain, remember at the world cup he had a spinal injury from a tackle. In El Clasico last November, Isco was sent off for kicking Neymar on the knee.
    Neymar would fit in fine in the PL. One can only dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Van Gaal to retire this summer as Premier League Champion and FA Cup winner...calling it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    Van Gaal to retire this summer as Premier League Champion and FA Cup winner...calling it now

Someone check this lad's temperature. The swine flu is going around at the moment.

Would love if it happened, Van Gaal has conducted himself very well since he's arrived at the club, he deserves to finish on a high. The only problem is there are no points awarded for being nice, we have to win games.

• Advertisement

You're on my list, Bruh.

Capture_zps9zma8ixk.png

j8VK4QG.gif

Can always count on ya Vic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm thinking at this stage Pro F is just easy, while I'm hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Ya but all these sponsorships are ruining the the club and are the reason the team have underperformed.

I heard the Glazers and Ed want the players to come dressed in Mickey Mouse ears before every game.

Apparently the players are going to have to do cameos in the new Star Wars movie.

Word from the stands is that Rooney is going to play Jabba the Huts son.

I'm guessing "wazza the hut"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is there a sentiment in there to state that Rooney / Mata etc have be been underperforming but gradually have improved since the Chelsea game.

Thrased this out about Rooney before, specifically with Pro F

If the focal point of our attack is Rooney and if he doesn't perform then the whole team suffers

I was selecting quality of chances over quantity

We didn't create a huge amount tonight but the execution and the finishing was clinical.
    Rooney has had a real good run of 6-7 games now and is starting to peak at the right time.

To note when talking quality over quantity look at the delivery from the full back Jackson for the first goal

You say we didn't create a huge amount, but in reality we created a lot more against Stoke than we were doing in most games in the first half of the season.

Like I always said, the problems up front were caused by the overly cautious style and the consequently low number and quality of chances being created. In recent games we have attacked more (with more freedom of movement and numbers committed forward) and so we've created more chances. And, surprise surprise, Rooney has scored more goals.

But you will deny that we have attacked more in recent games and you will deny that we've created more quality chances, because to admit those things shows where the problem really lies, with Van Gaal.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    You say we didn't create a huge amount, but in reality we created a lot more against Stoke than we were doing in most games in the first half of the season.

Like I always said, the problems up front were caused by the overly cautious style and the consequently low number and quality of chances being created. In recent games we have attacked more (with more freedom of movement and numbers committed forward) and so we've created more chances. And, surprise surprise, Rooney has scored more goals.

But you will deny that we have attacked more in recent games and you will deny that we've created more quality chances, because to admit those things shows where the problem really lies, with Van Gaal.

No I will deny because my opinion differs from yours. Your obssesed with the thought that the number of chances created are the escence of a high standard of attack. Also you have reworded your opinions slightly as you initially pointed out in the majority of matches quantity of chances amounted to good or poor form for the front men and in particular Rooney, which i dont agree with.
    To note: Quantity and quality are not in line as I have always stated.
    Lingaard for example crossed the ball into the box aporox 6 times against Southampton. Rooney ( who is currently in form) was in the box for 4 of them not once did the ball come even close to him. Thats not anyones fault except the player crossing the ball.
    And to add to that, If quality chances fall to out of form players the goals will be not be scored either.
    Rooneys form was always the main cause of concern for me last year. When LVG calls for his main striker and captain to lead the line I trust what he says. Not his fault Rooney goes through these piss poor patchs of dire touch and **** all link / hold up play. Chances fell to him and he fluffed them.

Anyway thats how i feel about it.

Doesn't mean I'm having a go or a personal dig. I actually enjoy your heartfelt opinion on everything that is footie. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Compared with our last period of temporary decline circa 2004-05 there's only DDG, from the current roster, who would get near the match day squad. This bunch are as bad as we've had in a very long time. If the youth teams aren't bringing through players of C.o '92 standard the cost of getting the required quality of players is going to be astronomical... if Ed Woodward can actually close the deals for them.

Long term it makes sense to invest heavily in the youth systems, but it seems clear the owners want to cash out soon so to hell with the club's future.

Neymars father has apparently confirmed that we bid £140,000,000 for him - Neymar - last summer.

If true one can admire the clubs ambition but for that kinda money we could probably get 3 of the top 10 to 20 players in the world.

Lessons have to be learned from wasting time pursuing "ungettable" players.

Hopefully Ed will be able to sort out a deal with Tony the Tiger cos word from the real fans in the stands is that Neymar loves Frosties.

Neymars father has apparently confirmed that we bid £140,000,000 for him - Neymar - last summer.

If true one can admire the clubs ambition but for that kinda money we could probably get 3 of the top 10 to 20 players in the world.

Hopefully Ed will be able to sort out a deal with Tony the Tiger cos word from the real fans in the stands is that Neymar loves Frosties.

Just because we bid for them dont mean they were wasting time.

We signed alot of other players in the summer so I'm sure ed wasn't sitting by the phone waiting for barca to say yes or no.

How can anyone complain with the club for trying to sign one of the best players in the world you dont get anywhere if you don't ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

BC not having a go at you directly when saying this but it amazes me how people give out about our lack of ambition in going after top quality players. Then when we do like with Neymar its a case of are ye stupid trying to get him, sure he'd never come to United but hey we'd get 3 of the top 10 - 20 players for that kinda price. Unfortunately the transfer market has gone mad when you're seeing Ramires and Teixeira going to China for the prices they have, and they're not even top 50 players in the world...

I'd say the bench mark for a top 20 player will soon be £50m+ and we'll likely see a £100m transfer within the next 18 months..

I think if there's one thing we do have in our favour its that there seems to be a lot of cash available for player transfers from increased sponsorships and TV revenue so hopefully we might be able to get these top top players. If there was £140 available for Neymar last summer and 40-50m for Ramos as well as what we signed pre Martial you'd imagine the transfer war chest is well in excess of £200m for the coming summer.

• Advertisement

Sport in Spain say Real Madrid are prepared to pay Neymar €35 million a year. That is around £27 million per year.

All those sponsors can be used to offer a higher amount. Ed needs to make an offer salary wise that the Neymar family can't be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Have a feeling if Barca win the second CL - and its hard to back against them doing it barring injuries - that it may signal the break up of that trio they have up front, one of them or perhaps 2 will leave. My money would be on Neymar.

Agree completely, we should be going for the best in the world however like I said last year, there has to be a cut off point for players at the highest level. My fear would be that we could spend the summer in negotiations for a Neymar (just for example) but end up scrambling for what's left over when he signs a new deal with Barca.

For what ever reason we always seem to dither about in the transfer window, the same can be said pre Fergies departure so it's not a new phenomenon.

The likes of Chelsea or City for example seem (to me at least) to be much more efficient when buying players.

I do think if Neymar leaves Barca then City will be his destination.

I'd be surprised if he leaves at all though. Messi is aging so Neymar can be the main man in the not too distant future.

does that mean the rumours were true that we were never in for Pedro and it was Neymar all along we were chasing?

Delighted we never got Pedro, he has turned out to be a complete flop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Sport in Spain say Real Madrid are prepared to pay Neymar €35 million a year. That is around £27 million per year.

All those sponsors can be used to offer a higher amount. Ed needs to make an offer salary wise that the Neymar family can't be refused.

Can't see us offering that type of money to anyone tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have read previously that the Neymar brand is very important to him and his camp - and if you want to make the most of your brand there are few (no?) clubs with better brand marketing and identity than United.

I could certainly see United offering the transfer fee thrown out there for him - we offered 100million for bale, why not more for a better player in a more inflated market?

As for the wages.... yeah - over 500k a week isn't something I can see the Glazers/United being willing to pay. Unless they can broker a deal similar to the Rooney one with a large portion of the 'wage' being a notional value attached to sponsorship gained through the club.

Thing is, if Neymar is on the move in the summer - I see him at City far more readily than I see him at United. sure, they don't have the brand advantage, but I can see the City people being far more willing and able to throw the cash that will be required at it. He has spoken about wanting to play for Pep too - so it is far more likely he goes to City, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Neymar living in Manchester? :pac:

you couldn't live with Neymar over Mata :eek:

seriously Neymar is one of the best players in the world right now and in another 2-3 years will be the best player in the world. He is a genius.

He is only 24 and is already the 5th highest Brazilian International scorer of all time.

also if you think he is too lightweight for the premier league you should watch a few El Clasico's or watch when Barca play Athletico. They kick lumps out of him and he gets up and goes again, even stronger and better.

would be incredible if he signed for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Neymar living in Manchester? :pac:
    Aguero living in Manchester?:pac:

If he leaves Barcelona, and doesn't go to China, there are a very limited number of clubs (Cities) he could go to.

Madrid. Munich. Manchester. London. Paris.

If his brand is important to him, as has been opined elsewhere, then Paris is out. Barcelona would be reluctant to sell to Madrid, though he could force it.

I don't see Neymar spending a few years earning massive coin in Manchester, and being THE star or the most marketable league in the world, as all that unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Aguero living in Manchester?:pac:

If he leaves Barcelona, and doesn't go to China, there are a very limited number of clubs (Cities) he could go to.

Madrid. Munich. Manchester. London. Paris.

If his brand is important to him, as has been opined elsewhere, then Paris is out. Barcelona would be reluctant to sell to Madrid, though he could force it.

I don't see Neymar spending a few years earning massive coin in Manchester, and being THE star or the most marketable league in the world, as all that unlikely.

Yes, I Ageuro in Manchester is not surprising at all. City through silly money at him. He wasn't playing for the best side in the world with the best player in the world. A much easier draw. Why on earth would he swap what he has for a rain-soaked city for a club in rapid decline? It defies logic and is only looks possible to a deluded sports fan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement