Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    See great advertising

Whoever has done the advertising for the film deserve all the monies in the world. All of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

See alot of the papers going with mourinho stories now probably all going by the original Portuguese reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Whoever has done the advertising for the film deserve all the monies in the world. All of it.

Plenty of lads I know have used that Valentines day trailer on the other halves and have gotten away with it. As in their GF's think they are going to see some mad chick flick/rom com on Vday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Sand

stankratz wrote: »
    All rumours though, many of which can be found online. Lots of people, fans and journos alike, will be putting 2+2 together and getting 5 over the next few weeks.

I think at this stage he will 'stick around' pretty much no matter what until the end of the current season. Once he wasn't let go in December, I reckon plans are currently underway to see a smooth managerial transition in the Summer, with all parties in agreement much like the City/Guardiola/Pellegrini situation. This is me giving the United higher-ups credit that I wouldn't have given them a few days ago. But there are too many reports about contact between the club and Mourinho for me to dismiss as pure fabrications, and hopefully they are in fact doing something about the current stagnation at the club.

I think the simplest interpretation is likely the most accurate: LVG never offered to resign, never had 1-2 games to save his job and there is no secret deal with Mourinho. I think the board was concerned around December, but I think they looked at who was available and decided LVG was the better option than all of them, including Mourinho. I think people mistake a decision they disagree with as a lack of decisiveness: if anything, sacking LVG would have been the obvious media friendly win for Woodward. But he chose not to do it.

If people have listened to LVG in his press conferences he has been relentlessly consistent in his criticism of the media making up stories, and then inviting him to comment on their made up stories to validate them. He has mocked them for sacking him 4 times already this season, same way every transfer window United are going to sign Gaitan and Sneijder. What I take from all of that is that the media makes up stories and too many people struggle to accept that most of what they read in the back pages and on twitter is entirely made up or speculation.

Why are multiple media sources running with the same story? Because someone is briefing them, or like in stock market crashes they are simply running with the herd. Who gains from consistent questioning of the current Man United manager? Certainly not LVG or the club. Likely it is Mourinho and Mendes planting the stories to keep the club and LVG under pressure and his name connected with the job so he has some leverage in negotiations with other clubs. Exactly the same way players can use links with United to get better contracts.

Marca jumping on the bandwagon.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/marca-receive-confirmation-mourinho-has-got-man-united-job

COPE aren’t the only ones reporting this, as Marca also claim to have had it confirmed by sources that Mourinho will be taking over as manager.

If LVG were to be sacked, Marca claim that Giggs would take over until the end of June, but that from the 1st of July onwards, the role is Mourinho’s.

While this is not as strong as what El Confidencial reported yesterday, it would seem to go along with the idea that Manchester United have decided there is only one man capable of scuppering Manchester City’s plans for domination with Pep Guardiola, and they are determined to get him in for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lots on Sport Witness about United tonight.

Marca are saying they got their own confirmation that Mourinho is going to be the United manager. They say Mourinho becomes manager on July 1st, and if things were to go disastrously for LVG in the meantime, it would be Giggs taking over, but right now it is LVG until June 30th.
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/695683096058978304

The bromance between Herrera and Mata, semi naked and taking over the soccer world with Mata the assistant manager to manager Mata...
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/695675664473710593

Herrera claims De Gea's arms are getting longer.
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/695676388540620801

Pogba family teams they dream of playing for together.
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/695692053523595264

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I am inclined to believe the reports regarding LVG going and Jose coming in, it makes perfect sense... No reason to keep LVG or think he would do any better in his final year than he has so far. He would want no doubt another 200 million to improve the squad so why spend all that money on players who may not be to the satisfaction of the guy coming in at the end of the season.

A manager, like him or otherwise Jose is available. A proven winner wherever he has been and who knows the league intimately. With Pep out of the equation there really isn't anyone else we can appoint who is get-able so it is the perfect time to hand Mourinho the reigns and the war chest and have him at it. The dogs on the street know he would live his right bollock to manage us so it makes all the sense in the world and I think the number of media outlets running with this give it a little more then general rumor BS status. Funny in a way as I have some mates over in Manchester who have some connections within the club and who said after the Sheffield Utd game that it was a reasonably openish secret within the club that LVG would call it quits in the summer with Jose the likely replacement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

ShaneU wrote: »
    Don't know what's going at the club any more

Disney are going buying United. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Be delighted if the Jose stories are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If they have gone for Jose now, why not a month ago and try to get more out of this season?

• Advertisement

If they have gone for Jose now, why not a month ago and try to get more out of this season?

Maybe he is not allowed. Simple explanation it dont always have to be woodies fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe he is not allowed. Simple explanation it dont always have to be woodies fault.
    Why the fook would he not be allowed? How could Chelsea sack him and also stop him working? There hasn't been a single report to suggest that is the case. In fact, the only reports have said he will be paid by Chelsea until he gets a new job, nothing indicating he us precluded from taking one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

adox wrote: »
    Be delighted if the Jose stories are true.

me too...i wanted him in 3 years ago.

i have this horrible feeling however, its all bulls*it and just propaganda just to keep the fans happy.

very convenient that all this has come out 3 days after Pep came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Who knows? We can only speculate. Indecision would be the most likely IMO.
    Perhaps the board were hoping that Pep may have been a possibility up until his announcement with City. Maybe they feel their hand has been forced with this challenge.

They certainly should have tried to get Jose in in December if it was possible.

I'm still to be convinced that he is coming in the summer but I'll grab on to the hope.

I know there are a lot on here that don't want him and don't like him but he's the only show in town if Utd are serious about getting back in the game. It's a no brainer and they should count themselves lucky that, despite their pfaffing around for the last three seasons, he has fallen into their lap.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Why the fook would he not be allowed? How could Chelsea sack him and also stop him working? There hasn't been a single report to suggest that is the case. In fact, the only reports have said he will be paid by Chelsea until he gets a new job, nothing indicating he us precluded from taking one.

Who knows what was in his contract.
    It might have a clause that says he can't manage another team in the same league if he is sacked or resigns during a season.

But if Marca are correct and he takes over on July 1st it suggests there is some obstacle, as they say Giggs would take over if things went wrong for LVG in the meantime.

me too...i wanted him in 3 years ago.

i have this horrible feeling however, its all bulls*it and just propaganda just to keep the fans happy.

very convenient that all this has come out 3 days after Pep came in.

Yeah, I wanted him when Fergie left too.

He had to take a consolation job back at Chelsea, he is probably delighted how bad things went this season for Chelsea if he gets the United job.

Complicated explanation. We know the club preferred Moyes over Mourinho in 2013. And we know they didn't appoint him despite the club going on its worse run of form in decades during December. Nothing has changed - if anything Mourinho has become more high maintenance and less successful. Man City have Guardiola coming in the summer - why didn't they go for Mourinho when he was free?

Why would Mourinho agree to a "gardening leave" clause in any termination where he was being sacked? Doing a favour to Abramovich who was sacking him for the second time having not backed him in the summer?

In my opinion, its already understood that the manager has a relatively minor role in the outcome of any given team - the players and their wage bill are vastly more important. Mourinho has simply gone beyond the patience of the major clubs - is he a great manager? Sure. Not in Fergie's class for longevity, but certainly close on a short term basis. But its like building your team around a great full back. There are plenty of good full backs out there who can do a job so you don't have to put up with the worlds greatest fullback who happens to be a drama queen.

Man City looked at Mourinho and said nope. Real looked at Mourinho and said nope. Bayern looked at Mourinho and said nope. Barcelona will never be interested. Why is it so difficult for people to accept that Man Utd looked at Mourinho and said nope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

RobertKK wrote: »
    Who knows what was in his contract.
    It might have a clause that says he can't manage another team in the same league if he is sacked or resigns during a season.

But if Marca are correct and he takes over on July 1st it suggests there is some obstacle, as they say Giggs would take over if things went wrong for LVG in the meantime.

He might be allowed by Chelsea to take over a PL team until the end of the season due to a clause in his settlement deal. Just speculating.

Personally I really hope he gets the job. Out of interest for all the anti Joses, who do you want to get the job in 18 months time at the latest? Cant think of anyone bar Simeone to be honest and Id say chelski will make a big go for him now.

Sand wrote: »
    Complicated explanation. We know the club preferred Moyes over Mourinho in 2013. And we know they didn't appoint him despite the club going on its worse run of form in decades during December. Nothing has changed - if anything Mourinho has become more high maintenance and less successful. Man City have Guardiola coming in the summer - why didn't they go for Mourinho when he was free?

Why would Mourinho agree to a "gardening leave" clause in any termination where he was being sacked? Doing a favour to Abramovich who was sacking him for the second time having not backed him in the summer?

In my opinion, its already understood that the manager has a relatively minor role in the outcome of any given team - the players and their wage bill are vastly more important. Mourinho has simply gone beyond the patience of the major clubs - is he a great manager? Sure. Not in Fergie's class for longevity, but certainly close on a short term basis. But its like building your team around a great full back. There are plenty of good full backs out there who can do a job so you don't have to put up with the worlds greatest fullback who happens to be a drama queen.

Man City looked at Mourinho and said nope. Real looked at Mourinho and said nope. Bayern looked at Mourinho and said nope. Barcelona will never be interested. Why is it so difficult for people to accept that Man Utd looked at Mourinho and said nope?

Man City were after Pep since 2013, so it would have been some diversion to go after Mourinho when they had 99% of the work done last December to get Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

astradave wrote: »
    Good interview with Chico here:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article4683011.ece

its behind a paywall so i have quoted it below

Nice to hear from the horses mouth about how he felt/feels, and dispel some myths.

Delighted he is doing so well, such a lovable player

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

One reason why is he had a contract with Chelsea when his agent is in negotiations about. His pay off they could say right we agree to pay you this but you aint allowed Manange in the league this season to which mendez replies no i won't accept that and chelsea then say ok well we have a. Contract and if u don't accept it he can finish out his contract On gardening leave.

I could be wrong im not saying thats what happened it is probably more likely the club dont want him and he wont be near club next season but its a possibility if it does turn out that he does take over.

Man City were after Pep since 2013, so it would have been some diversion to go after Mourinho when they had 99% of the work done last December to get Pep.

That only highlights that they weren't after Mourinho since 2013 despite him being available then too. Mourinho has simply exhausted the patience of the top clubs - he has done a tour of most of them who would hire him the first place and no one wants him back. A manager like Ancelloti on the other hand will never be short of work - he is good enough and not hard work to get along with.

Explaining why United didn't appoint Mourinho in 2013 and last December requires a lot of conspiracy theories, if you ignore the more simple theory that United didn't want him just like Real didn't want him, Man City didn't want him, Bayern didn't want him and Chelsea didn't want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Why would mourinho want to come to United now anyway. United don't want to sack van gaal, he will leave by mutual consent at the end of the season. Even if United don't finish top 4, mourinho can come in next summer and be a hero getting us in a title race first season after spending a fortune in the summer.

He is also still earning 250k a week until he finds a new job so he seems happy travelling all over the world at the moment with his family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

On the other hand a long break could do Mourinho some good, rejuvenate him a bit.

bangkok wrote: »
    Why would mourinho want to come to United now anyway. United don't want to sack van gaal, he will leave by mutual consent at the end of the season. Even if United don't finish top 4, mourinho can come in next summer and be a hero getting us in a title race first season after spending a fortune in the summer.

He is also still earning 250k a week until he finds a new job so he seems happy travelling all over the world at the moment with his family

January would have been the best time for Mourinho to come in - he had the transfer window and money to spend. He could blame any failure at the end of the season on Van Gaal - he was left with simply too big a mountain to climb. United would likely pay him more than 250K a week too.

If he arrives in the summer, his excuses are much reduced. He will have 2-3 months to evaluate the squad and recruit players and impose his anti-football. He might still get to blame LVG, but LVG is getting destroyed for not turning the team around in 18 months - how much time would Mourinho get? 12 months?

That only highlights that they weren't after Mourinho since 2013 despite him being available then too. Mourinho has simply exhausted the patience of the top clubs - he has done a tour of most of them who would hire him the first place and no one wants him back. A manager like Ancelloti on the other hand will never be short of work - he is good enough and not hard work to get along with.

Explaining why United didn't appoint Mourinho in 2013 and last December requires a lot of conspiracy theories, if you ignore the more simple theory that United didn't want him just like Real didn't want him, Man City didn't want him, Bayern didn't want him and Chelsea didn't want him.

I don't think Mourinho would go to Man City. Mourinho has wanted the United job for years at this stage.
    The book that claimed he cried when he was overlooked for Moyes for the job.
    He knew if he went to City that the chances of becoming United manager would be even lower.
    So I think City were never an option for Mourinho, rather than Mourinho an option for City.

I don't think Mourinho would go to Man City. Mourinho has wanted the United job for years at this stage.
    The book that claimed he cried when he was overlooked for Moyes for the job.
    He knew if he went to City that the chances of becoming United manager would be even lower.
    So I think City were never an option for Mourinho, rather than Mourinho an option for City.

I don't think the Glazers or Woodward care about City connections tbh. I doubt Bobby Charlton turns his back any time Dennis Law is mentioned in his company. These rivalries are bigger among the fans than the professionals.

Its safe to say the relationship between Real/Chelsea and United are fairly frosty in the past few years, but Mourinho worked at both and its not disqualifying him. There are complicated explanations, but the simple one works best: Mourinho is simply too high maintenance when there are plenty of boring, average managers who deliver roughly the same success with a huge wage bill. And all the big clubs who changed managers recently all passed on Mourinho.

Including United in my opinion.

January would have been the best time for Mourinho to come in - he had the transfer window and money to spend. He could blame any failure at the end of the season on Van Gaal - he was left with simply too big a mountain to climb. United would likely pay him more than 250K a week too.

If he arrives in the summer, his excuses are much reduced. He will have 2-3 months to evaluate the squad and recruit players and impose his anti-football. He might still get to blame LVG, but LVG is getting destroyed for not turning the team around in 18 months - how much time would Mourinho get? 12 months?

Who could he have signed in January if he came in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Julez wrote: »

Homer is not gonna be a happy bunny!!

What's with the crest at the start of the video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Whaaa?

The manager is the most important individual relating to the team. It's no good having outstanding players if the coach instructs them the pass the ball sideways and not take any risks. Even a great individual player only has as much influence as the manager allows. So when you get that appointment wrong failure is inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mourinho coming is no bueno for Mata.

Jose out.

Herrera could potentially work as an Oscar type player for him and play more.

Jose in.

Overall Mourinho feeling: Neutral.

bangkok wrote: »
    Who could he have signed in January if he came in?

Isn't the argument for Mourinho that he is the magician that will get players like Rooney suddenly in form (LVG gets zero credit for same)? The same way he got Hazard playing so well. Or he would make great signings out of left field. Like Costa. Fabregas. Cuadrado. Pedro. Falcao.

Korat wrote: »
    Whaaa?

The manager is the most important individual relating to the team. It's no good having outstanding players if the coach instructs them the pass the ball sideways and not take any risks. Even a great individual player only has as much influence as the manager allows. So when you get that appointment wrong failure is inevitable.

The manager doesn't score goals, make passes, make tackles or even make saves.

Who was Pele's manager, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The manager doesn't score goals, make passes, make tackles or even make saves.

Who was Pele's manager, out of curiosity?

The manager picks the team, Pele played because the manager picked him.

Victor Valdes won't be playing for Utd again because LVG wants him gone.

I know some players can weild a lot of influence at clubs but it's only because the manager doesn't assert his authority. No matter how you look at it the manager is the most important role. A well coached team of average players is more effective than a bunch of stars who met up in the car park that day.

Korat wrote: »
    The manager picks the team, Pele played because the manager picked him.

Victor Valdes won't be playing for Utd again because LVG wants him gone.

I know some players can weild a lot of influence at clubs but it's only because the manager doesn't assert his authority. No matter how you look at it the manager is the most important role. A well coached team of average players is more effective than a bunch of stars who met up in the car park that day.

Would you give more credit to Pele's manager than to Pele himself? Is the failure of Bellion due to Ferguson being a bad manager?

Look - managers have a role. Good managers can increase a teams performance, but only as a fraction of the players performance. Appoint Fergie or Mourinho as Aston Villa boss tomorrow and they will still get relegated in May.

A good team can carry 1 or 2 bad players. A great team can carry a bad manager. A great manager cannot make a bad team into a great team.

• Advertisement

BBC are on it now!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35508280

Manchester United have held talks with representatives of former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

The 53-year-old Portuguese, who was sacked by the Blues in December, is increasingly hopeful of succeeding Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

No agreement has been reached, and the club have made no comment, but negotiations have begun.

7drHiqrh.jpg

Wonder will we get John Terry in for a season now since he will be moving on :P

BBC are on it now!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35508280

Manchester United have held talks with representatives of former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

The 53-year-old Portuguese, who was sacked by the Blues in December, is increasingly hopeful of succeeding Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

No agreement has been reached, and the club have made no comment, but negotiations have begun.

7drHiqrh.jpg

Balague tweeted earlier about it

BBC are on it now!

Different story though - others reports saying he is appointed July 1st. Now the BBC saying no agreement. No mention of gardening leave. No explanation as to why he wasn't hired in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Independant saying Mou will start July 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its a funny game. Numerous times in the past I didnt want Jose at utd but the disappointing appointments of Moyes and LVG have really turned my head for Jose.

He's a proven winner every where he goes and utd need that now. Hopefully after the Chelsea fiasco he has learned a thing or 2. I dont a repeat of that at utd

hopefully he has learned a thing or two and in the time he has taken out had a think about stuff like the Dr situation at Chelsea and at least admitted to himself that he ****ed up and was in the wrong....

The timing of this story breaking may must be quite deliberate as in a reaction from the news breaking about Pep. A big clear out and recruitment planned at city supposedly and you can imagine targets are being identified right now and initial contacts being made with players and agents. We can't seem to be behind the 8 ball so get Mourinho out there as coming in in the summer and he and the club will have more pull player wise then LVG I would think so we need to steal a march... wonder will we make an official announcement like City did re: Pep next week...

Strumms wrote: »
    hopefully he has learned a thing or two and in the time he has taken out had a think about stuff like the Dr situation at Chelsea and at least admitted to himself that he ****ed up and was in the wrong....

Has Mourinho ever acknowledged he was wrong about anything? Mourinho is Mourinho. Either you want him at the club, causing drama, holding rambling cringe inducing press conferences and picking fights with the owners, staff and players and hoping he somehow gets one over on Guardiola...or you don't. The idea that he has somehow learnt his lesson this time around is bizarre. He was sacked from Chelsea for the second time just a few months ago, after an educational experience of being in the wrong at Real up to and including assaulting an opponent. If he didn't learn from that, why would he learn anything more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Mourinho would be a disastrous appointment. He orchestrates an absolutely septic brand of football. A very supine, spineless man who feeds off his own ego. I've no doubts about his pedigree as a manager and I do think he can bring trophies to the club but at what cost.

The championing of this appointment is either very short sighted or people don't give a sh1t about what style of football we play. City get Pep and this is our reaction?

Has Mourinho ever acknowledged he was wrong about anything? Mourinho is Mourinho. Either you want him at the club, causing drama, holding rambling cringe inducing press conferences and picking fights with the owners, staff and players and hoping he somehow gets one over on Guardiola...or you don't. The idea that he has somehow learnt his lesson this time around is bizarre. He was sacked from Chelsea for the second time just a few months ago, after an educational experience of being in the wrong at Real up to and including assaulting an opponent. If he didn't learn from that, why would he learn anything more?

Who would you pick to take over instead of him?

glued wrote: »
    Mourinho would be a disastrous appointment. He orchestrates an absolutely septic brand of football. A very supine, spineless man who feeds off his own ego. I've no doubts about his pedigree as a manager and I do think he can bring trophies to the club but at what cost.

The championing of this appointment is either very short sighted or people don't give a sh1t about what style of football we play. City get Pep and this is our reaction?

Who takes over after Van Gaal for you?

Who would you pick to take over insted of him?

I don't know. I would stick with LVG until an option better than LVG was available. Refusing to stab yourself in the balls because you're in a bad situation and cant think of anything to better to do in the next 5 minutes is not a mistake.

I don't know, I don't, nor does anyone really.... people mellow with age.. so they say I'm not there yet myself but this season was the biggest cluster**** of his career whatever went through his head I have no idea. Even if he didn't admit he was wrong publicly he should be doing so to himself... I have never really wanted him at the club... but we do need rid of LVG and aside from trying to prize Potchitino out of Spurs who else is out there ? Simone doesn't speak English and many don't want him here because of the brand of football he plays. Pelligrini would be seen as a City cast off... I don't see the answer, sometimes its about taking a gamble and Jose might be the best one as it stands....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Who takes over after Van Gaal for you?

Not Mourinho. I'm not going to get into it again at the risk of offending some sensitive posters in here but someone like Sampaoli would get us playing some decent football. I'd much rather take a chance on Sampaoli than give it to someone toxic like Mourinho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement