Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Strumms wrote: »
    I don't know, I don't, nor does anyone really.... people mellow with age.. so they say I'm not there yet myself but this season was the biggest cluster**** of his career whatever went through his head I have no idea. Even if he didn't admit he was wrong publicly he should be doing so to himself... I have never really wanted him at the club... but we do need rid of LVG and aside from trying to prize Potchitino out of Spurs who else is out there ? Simone doesn't speak English and many don't want him here because of the brand of football he plays. Pelligrini would be seen as a City cast off... I don't see the answer, sometimes its about taking a gamble and Jose might be the best one as it stands....

I would have no disagreements with Pochettino taking over in the summer, when he may be available. I agree, Pellagrini would be viewed negatively as a City cast off. The City fans, the pair of them, would be insufferable were he appointed.

But the reality is either would be just as successful, and likely more so than Mourinho who seems to have some sort of personality defect that rebels against even the mildest authority. Man United are a huge, wealthy team. As we have seen in the last few days, players coveted by PL teams likes Liverpool will go to fecking China if the money is right. Man United have a lot of money - if management is as simple as telling players to take risks and pass forward, then Pellagrini is as perfectly capable of doing it as Mourinho. And Pellagini is far less likely to cause drama or want to sell Mata and bench Martial for not tracking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

glued wrote: »
    Not Mourinho. I'm not going to get into it again at the risk of offending some sensitive posters in here but someone like Sampaoli would get us playing some decent football. I'd much rather take a chance on Sampaoli than give it to someone toxic like Mourinho.

Can't really afford to take another risk. If the next manager is a failure we could be a long time before we win trophies again.

Does Sampaoli even speak English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's just getting so bloody tiring reading the same whole ****e about José brand of football. It's just some made up bull****. It's a blatant lie at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bangkok wrote: »
    Balague tweeted earlier about it

The BBC - reliable.
    Balague - Spoofy McGoo

Iv no problem people hating a manager for proper reasons like how he behaves etc but don't make up bull**** about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Jose to bring Ronaldo home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Mourinho it is then. Makes sense as he'll be hell bent on raining on Pep's parade. At the cost of attractive football no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Chelsea fan here. Jose would be a great appointment to bring the title back to OT and would last the distance of 5 years plus if given money now and money when things sour. That's what he brings but if ye want a resumption of " the United way" then an appointment like frank de boer might hit the spot. I'd love de boer or Hughes with us.

Headshot wrote: »
    Iv no problem people hating a manager for proper reasons like how he behaves etc but don't make up bull**** about him

I feel the same. When you see people give out about LVG you wonder if its the "Philoshophy/Ve Von the Possesshion Shtats" caricature, or the actual manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The BBC - reliable.
    Balague - Spoofy McGoo

Balague is one of the best in the business. Has links to all the top clubs in Spain and friends with most of the managers.

Lionel messi and ronaldo both thought he was good enough to spend time with and write a book about them both.

He has also broken some of the biggest transfers between Spain and England and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Headshot wrote: »
    It's just getting so bloody tiring reading the same whole ****e about José brand of football. It's just some made up bull****. It's a blatant lie at this stage

Yeah, Chelsea and Inter were fantastic to watch. He even made Madrid into a terribly negative team in big games. If you want to lie to yourself and pretend that Jose plays a good style of football then go ahead. But it's complete horsesh1t.

For those that think Pochettino can't do the MUFC job: his Espanyol was the team that got more points out of Pep's FCB? #justSaying
    Balague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Chelsea were a joy to watch for the first half of last season. They were playing fast, silky football. Then the spurs game happened. And things changed. That's the way he operates for sure. But to say he is a negative manager is disingenuous. Inter, Real and Madrid went through spells of playing lovely stuff.

I agree with Headshot.

Yup José first stint at Chelsea was unbelievable to watch. Chelsea 2014 season until Christmas had them playing great stuff. I must remember the R.Madrid team different than you because I thought they were brilliant, unbelievable counter attacking team

It's a urban myth that he always plays negative football, it's just wrong.

I'm not going to say he plays attractive football all the time, he can be negative like with Barca v Inter but I thought he a tactical genius in that match. Again counter attacking at its best.

Yup José first stint at Chelsea was unbelievable to watch. Chelsea 2014 season until Christmas had them playing great stuff. I must remember the R.Madrid team different than you because I thought they were brilliant, unbelievable counter attacking team

It's a urban myth that he always plays negative football, it's just wrong.

I'm not going to say he plays attractive football all the time, he can be negative like with Barca v Inter but I thought he a tactical genius in that match. Again counter attacking at its best.

• Advertisement

Mourinho is poison. Always has always will be. Just because he is linked to United job doesn't mean he is any less poison. He has no class, seems to have some sort of obsession with wenger and I hope he doesn't get united job but looking like he will

glued wrote: »
    Yeah, Chelsea and Inter were fantastic to watch. He even made Madrid into a terribly negative team in big games. If you want to lie to yourself and pretend that Jose plays a good style of football then go ahead. But it's complete horsesh1t.

I think it even goes beyond effect - its not that Mourinho tries to play good football and it inexplicably ends up as good players playing bad football. Its that he is personally hostile to the Dutch/Barca school of possession football. He wants to win ugly 1-0 games with bad football just to give the fingers to Barca who rejected him and Guardiola who took his actual dream job at Barca.

The idea that Mourinho is going to come to United and restore wonderful attacking football is complete fantasy land stuff. He works best with smaller sides as football guerilla sabotaging the great sides trying to play football and rubbing their nose in grinding them down to an ugly defeat. He loves that. Chelsea fans love that. That's why only a few months ago Mourinho was mocking United for trying to play football at Stamford Bridge.

You'd swear Fergie never played negatively.

If he hadn't been Utd manager I would not have liked Fergie at all, especially in his earlier years and that was when it was still possible to manage the media and suppress stories.

Sand wrote: »
    He works best with smaller sides........

You lost any credibility you had with this one. Describing Porto, Inter, Real and Chelsea as small sides? You just sound bitter to be honest.

Korat wrote: »
    You'd swear Fergie never played negatively.

If he hadn't been Utd manager I would not have liked Fergie at all, especially in his earlier years and that was when it was still possible to manage the media and suppress stories.

Fergies football style was heavily influenced by whoever was his assistant manager at the time. Fergie was the unofficial Director of Football, especially in the later years of his reign. The traditional English football old school was to resist a DoF in case he interfered with the manager - I think the great failure in 2013 was to fail to recognise that United needed to replace their DoF, and appoint a head coach to replace Phelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I'm shocked people are slagging off Jose's football after the utter tripe we have had to watch for the last 18 months.

He will be an instant upgrade on LVG in football quality amongest multiple other things.

Kirby wrote: »
    You lost any credibility you had with this one. Describing Porto, Inter, Real and Chelsea as small sides? You just sound bitter to be honest.

Sorry, what's your credibility again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't really want Mourinho at the helm but if it comes to pass, so be it.

But you'd swear Fergie was a sweet, avuncular gent. If you didn't like United, there was a good chance you thought he was a sour, bully of a kunt.

I guess we can't always have it every way though...nice football and no trophies or dull football and trophies? Doesn't have to be that polarised but if it did come to that, which would you choose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    BBC are on it now!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35508280

Manchester United have held talks with representatives of former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

The 53-year-old Portuguese, who was sacked by the Blues in December, is increasingly hopeful of succeeding Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

No agreement has been reached, and the club have made no comment, but negotiations have begun.

7drHiqrh.jpg

STOP GETTING MY HOPES UP!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think it even goes beyond effect - its not that Mourinho tries to play good football and it inexplicably ends up as good players playing bad football. Its that he is personally hostile to the Dutch/Barca school of possession football. He wants to win ugly 1-0 games with bad football just to give the fingers to Barca who rejected him and Guardiola who took his actual dream job at Barca.

The idea that Mourinho is going to come to United and restore wonderful attacking football is complete fantasy land stuff. He works best with smaller sides as football guerilla sabotaging the great sides trying to play football and rubbing their nose in grinding them down to an ugly defeat. He loves that. Chelsea fans love that. That's why only a few months ago Mourinho was mocking United for trying to play football at Stamford Bridge.

Where did you get this from? I would be interested to read that.

I don't really want Mourinho at the helm but if it comes to pass, so be it.

But you'd swear Fergie was a sweet, avuncular gent. If you didn't like United, there was a good chance you thought he was a sour, bully of a kunt.

I guess we can't always have it every way though...nice football and no trophies or dull football and trophies? Doesn't have to be that polarised but if it did come to that, which would you choose?

Trophies.

All day, every day, no question whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

To be fair the first 6 months of last season is some of the best stuff I've seen in about a decade in the PL, better than Van Gaal will ever get us playing. City were only a couple of points behind in January they bought Matic toned down the attacking and won the league in the end.

Mourinho can play some boring stuff but Mourinho can play some great football too. He's the only obstacle to City cleaning up over the next 3 or 4 years. Van Gaal can't compete, Pochettino and the like are going to be projects that will take years to develop and in the end may not work out.

I think hiring Mourinho is the club realising how dangerous City are

I think the simplest interpretation is likely the most accurate: LVG never offered to resign, never had 1-2 games to save his job and there is no secret deal with Mourinho. I think the board was concerned around December, but I think they looked at who was available and decided LVG was the better option than all of them, including Mourinho. I think people mistake a decision they disagree with as a lack of decisiveness: if anything, sacking LVG would have been the obvious media friendly win for Woodward. But he chose not to do it.

While I believe that there might be one or more on the boards (executive and non-executive) opposed to Mourinho, I doubt the club would be flat-out not interested in hiring a manager with such a CV as his. LVG might have been the better option at the time, as in keeping him in charge while we were up to our elbows in matches and not having a new manager come into that shít-heap, but I think December prompted the club into a course of action, the fruits of which we could see by the Summer. Maybe jumping straight back into a job so soon after getting out of Chelsea didn't suit Mourinho. If he is United-bound, I'd definitely like the man to have a few months off, a cruise and a case of brandy after those last few months at Chelsea.
    If people have listened to LVG in his press conferences he has been relentlessly consistent in his criticism of the media making up stories, and then inviting him to comment on their made up stories to validate them. He has mocked them for sacking him 4 times already this season, same way every transfer window United are going to sign Gaitan and Sneijder. What I take from all of that is that the media makes up stories and too many people struggle to accept that most of what they read in the back pages and on twitter is entirely made up or speculation.
    I despise the English media when it comes to all things football and take what they say with a pinch of salt. Do they flat-out make up stories out of thin air? I'm sure they do, but when many sources are running with a story the 'no smoke without fire' analogy comes to mind. As much faith as I put in LVG as an honorable man, and Moyes and SAF before him, I do not believe that just because a manager/club comes out and tells us something, or denies something in this case, that they are 100% automatically telling the truth.

Consider LVG, the man does not like the press, most of all when they are asking non-football questions that he perceives as non of their business. Them asking if he offered his resignation, or has a few games to save his job, falls into this category and I do not expect him to come out and say "Yeah, I'm disillusioned, I offered Woodie my resignation", not at a time when the club were already going through the shít especially.
    Why are multiple media sources running with the same story? Because someone is briefing them, or like in stock market crashes they are simply running with the herd. Who gains from consistent questioning of the current Man United manager? Certainly not LVG or the club. Likely it is Mourinho and Mendes planting the stories to keep the club and LVG under pressure and his name connected with the job so he has some leverage in negotiations with other clubs. Exactly the same way players can use links with United to get better contracts.
    It does no harm to be thinking as you are, everyone should question why we are hearing news in the mainstream media and not just sport. While you are going with the belief that it is just strategic PR work of Mourinho/Mendes, I'm going with the thought that it makes far too much sense for the club not to be doing this i.e. pursuing Mourinho with the intent of appointing him for next season. Gives him plenty of time to plan his approach, look at what players he wants to bring in etc.

Yes this could be spin from the club either in the days following the Pep appointment, but the Pep appointment could also just as likely have given the club a kick up the arse in terms of securing the best manager available for next season. The Pep appointment at City could have been the club's final hope of getting him in at United, so now we are seeing their response. Who knows? All will be revealed soon I guess, and even though I'm going with 'no smoke without fire' on this one, I don't doubt that there will be some shíte created and reported for the duration of this, however long that will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wonder how this will affect the team if it is confirmed to be happening on Jul 1st? How will it affect LVG, knowing he is on borrowed time?

Strange one.

Haha comparing fergie to Mourinho now.

Sticking his finger into another persons eye.
    Calling another manager a "voyeur"

Fergie had huge respect all across the league and is now the top guy for all European coaches, Mourinho never has and probably never will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We are not signing Mourinho.

Fergie had huge respect all across the league and is now the top guy for all European coaches, Mourinho never has and probably never will.

Because he won things. He was a winner. Not because he was a nice old fellow. He was a bully and he had a temper. He had his own fair share of unseemly spats with managers, Wenger included. They only became chummy when Arsenal weren't a threat anymore. He banned journalists for asking questions he didn't like and had some very questionable business dealings during his time at the club.

People revere him because he was a winner. It's that simple. Its like any other area in life. Success is what matters.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Where did you get this from? I would be interested to read that.

Its fairly widely known. In 2008 Barca chose to appoint Guardiola over Mourinho, a rookie over a successful manager with a long history at Barca under Robson and Van Gaal. And its clear why they did so. And it is clear why ever since Mourinho obsesses over Guardiola in a frankly pathetic way. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

“Barca, in my heart – today, tomorrow, and forever.”
    Jose Mourinho 1997

“Barca have their own style that should be respected whenever a new coach is chosen. The team likes to control the game and to have the ball at our feet as our gameplay leads us to victory. Those that are suggesting other coaches for this team who have a very different style are completely wrong. No coach will ever come here that has a different belief to that.”
    Johann Cruyff 2008

The eye thing was scummy, nobody would deny that.

The Eva thing was classless, nobody would deny that.

What else has he done to be held with such disdain by you?

He called Wenger a voyeur?

Thats pretty tame and is purely a mind game.

Fergie was the master of mind games and rubbing other managers up the wrong way.

What makes you so sure that Fergie is so respected and Jose is so held in low regard by the other coaches across Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fergies football style was heavily influenced by whoever was his assistant manager at the time. Fergie was the unofficial Director of Football, especially in the later years of his reign. The traditional English football old school was to resist a DoF in case he interfered with the manager - I think the great failure in 2013 was to fail to recognise that United needed to replace their DoF, and appoint a head coach to replace Phelan.

You talk some sh1te

Not quite. Just stating that unless you liked Utd, you probably didn't like SAF. But to manage that long with the European success, of course he's respected.

José's achievements are noteworthy. How can you not respect what he's achieved?

If Mourinho does takeover there'll be plenty to talk about anyway. :)

Not quite. Just stating that unless you liked Utd, you probably didn't like SAF. But to manage that long with the European success, of course he's respected.

José's achievements are noteworthy. How can you not respect what he's achieved?

I do respect what he has won, but I don't like the person and his style of play leaves a lot to be desired. Parking the bus is a phrase you hear a lot around Mourinho.

Korat wrote: »
    If Mourinho does takeover there'll be plenty to talk about anyway. :)

Its a media dream, no doubt. The two biggest click baits getting together for the mother of all click bait storms. For 2-3 seasons anyway. There is the question of if what is best for the media is what is best for the club but that is another question.

• Advertisement

Its fairly widely known. In 2008 Barca chose to appoint Guardiola over Mourinho, a rookie over a successful manager with a long history at Barca under Robson and Van Gaal. And its clear why they did so. And it is clear why ever since Mourinho obsesses over Guardiola in a frankly pathetic way. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

“Barca, in my heart – today, tomorrow, and forever.”
    Jose Mourinho 1997

“Barca have their own style that should be respected whenever a new coach is chosen. The team likes to control the game and to have the ball at our feet as our gameplay leads us to victory. Those that are suggesting other coaches for this team who have a very different style are completely wrong. No coach will ever come here that has a different belief to that.”
    Johann Cruyff 2008

Your proof is a quote Mourinho made 3 years before he was even a manager?

I do respect what he has won, but I don't like the person and his style of play leaves a lot to be desired. Parking the bus is a phrase you hear a lot around Mourinho.

Yes in big games something Fergie was fond of doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bangkoks on the defensive, someone must have dissed Carrick Fergie Scholes

Like I said, I'd prefer if it was a more palatable option but I'm going through the arguments with myself and trophies take precedence over style, if it comes to it. Could he bring trophies to Utd? I think so.

But I'm not saying he's close to likeable.

Jose in for me!

His Inter side was one of my fave teams.

His falling out with players at Real and Chelsea dosent bother mel Respect for going against gob****es like Ramos and Costa.

I was always up for Joses Real against Peps Barca.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Your proof is a quote Mourinho made 3 years before he was even a manager?

Its a sample. This is not a court. I am not the prosecutor and you are not the judge. If you are interested as you originally claimed, go google more you will find more samples of Mourinho's obsession with "disproving" the Barca school (his contempt for United and Van Gaal in the Stamford Bridge game last season for example) and his obsession with Guardiola who took his dream job.

• Advertisement

Jose in for me!

His Inter side was one of my fave teams.

His falling out with players at Real and Chelsea dosent bother mel Respect for going against gob****es like Ramos and Costa.

I was always up for Joses Real against Peps Barca.

Falling out with players like ronaldo, fabregas, hazard, mata and Casillas also....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W63XrsjdZNk

Messi not too keen on him either... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Falling out with players like ronaldo, fabregas, hazard, mata and Casillas also....

This would be a big worry for me, it's never a Valencia or Romero he falls out with.

Hazard is a twat! The whole twitter "saga" on who he was going to join proves that.

Casillas deserved to be dropped. Woeful for a few years.

Fabregas said after Jose was sacked he had no problem with him and Jose as well said the same.

Only La Liga Ronnie has won was under Mourinho.

I like Mata but getting 38M for him was a good deal.

The flip-side to that is Ronaldo has spoken positively of Jose as a manager since, Fabregas is a flaky fùcker, Hazard had the best season of his career under Mourinho, Mata didn't fit the way Chelsea were playing and Casillas deserved to be dropped.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement