Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lord TSC wrote:
    In fairness, we gave Moyes far more time than he deserved, and there will be people who arguing LVG has gotten more time too. To argue United don't give managers time and support is simply not true based on recent examples.

Moyes didn't even get a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

loyatemu wrote: »

Moyes got enough time to lose CL football, a minimum requirement surely?

He was not fired until it was mathematically impossible to get 4th, given every opportunity to turn the season around.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Agreed, there are certain standards that must be maintained imo

Edit: Speaking of standards, has Smalling taken a couple of steps back the last few weeks or has the midfield left the defence too exposed at times?

I think he was always going to go off the boil a little bit, he's played in pretty much all games this season. He's probably a bit tanked at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

loyatemu wrote: »

How much time should managers get. I hate this we should be faithful for the craic. If I got 100 years to learn the job, I'd probably win something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Like who? Bruce certainly was, but Pallister got his (deserved) plaudits didn't he?

Their partnership was one of the best I've ever seen.
    Bruce was criminally overlooked by England but was always the more highly rated of the two because of his leadership skills and knack for goal scoring.
    Pallister was my favourite of the two though. After a very dodgy start, he became solid as a rock and always a first team pick.
    Didn't score too many goals, but always looked composed on the ball and was comfortable bringing it out from the back.
    Classy defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

LeeJM wrote: »
    Does anybody else think Gary Pallister is/was severely under rated by alot of people?

I'd probably have him ahead of Jones or Blind, and he could certainly improve the side in the short term.

However for me, his age would be a major factor counting against him

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

Their partnership was one of the best I've ever seen.
    Bruce was criminally overlooked by England but was always the more highly rated of the two because of his leadership skills and knack for goal scoring.
    Pallister was my favourite of the two though. After a very dodgy start, he became solid as a rock and always a first team pick.
    Didn't score too many goals, but always looked composed on the ball and was comfortable bringing it out from the back.
    Classy defender

Bruce was criminally overlooked for Ireland too ... although he would have had a hard time getting in the Irish team back then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Its his thing, wander in - make some statement as fact - have nothing to back it up - leave - rinse - repeat

Arrive.
    Talk shít.
    Claim he's been bullied.
    Leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Can I bring this back up. It's been the highlight of the thread so far this Christmas.

United didn't win so afraid not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

J. Marston wrote: »
    Arrive.
    Talk shít.
    Claim he's been bullied.
    Leave.

Go back and read the replies to me when I called for LVG to be sacked after the Wolfsburg match........ Now you all agree with me.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    United didn't win so afraid not!

If you want to put a stop to this I can just link them on to your facebook page so they can all have a good perv and get it out of their system!

(Joke!)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Go back and read the replies to me when I called for LVG to be sacked after the Wolfsburg match........ Now you all agree with me.

Why only the Wolfsburg match? Sure you have been saying for years he was a disaster, going back to whenever it was that he hurt you I presume.

Why only the Wolfsburg match? Sure you have been saying for years he was a disaster, going back to whenever it was that he hurt you I presume.

Indeed I have stated he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place. That's true.

He never hurt me. I feel that United deserve the best....LVG is not that for sure.

Saw pic's of the team arriving at the hotel just there. Getting excited now! First game of the season for me :)

Saw pic's of the team arriving at the hotel just there. Getting excited now! First game of the season for me :)

Enjoy it....Don't forget to visit the Trafford bar beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder is either LVG or Giggs able to issue a rallying team talk - have the team so fired up they leave every last drop of energy on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I wonder is either LVG or Giggs able to issue a rallying team talk - have the team so fired up they leave every last drop of energy on the pitch.

This should help...

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/681238545537863680

Van Gaal: I've no idea how to solve crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Very much doubt it at this stage. Things have gone too far.

Having said that, it's Chelsea at home and the players are(rightly) getting questioned about their(lack of) performances and their character is starting to be questioned by many, so that may put enough fire I. Their belly to raise their game tomorrow.

Even if it does(and we all hope it does) don't take that as any sort of turning point or putting a shift in for the manager etc. That boat has sailed long ago.

We are all just waiting for the announcement as I'm sure are all the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

This should help...

Should nearly be sacked for that quote alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im hoping thats a mis quote or the media stirring the pot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its not exactly a direct quote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Headshot wrote: »
    Im hoping thats a mis quote or the media stirring the pot

Asked if there was anything left he could do to raise spirits he said
    "No, because its not so easy anymore. When you lose four matches in a row its much more difficult than after the third match. The pressure of the environment should increase so it is much more difficult. There are no ways - artificial ways - to solve that. We need a victory and that's very important"

Saying he could not artificially raise spirits after four losses = he doesn't know how to solve the crisis according to that headline writer anyway.

EDIT RTE have more here http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1227/756472-defiant-van-gaal-insists-players-are-behind-him/

+1

Rule #1 in business/work, never let it be know you are clueless even if everyone knows :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

They're crawling out of the woodwork now as the gap closes.

Van Gaal not doing himself any favours. Could be lost in translation though?

The press aren't gonna go easy on him though. He speaks to journos with a scowl a lot of time, for good reason tbf, but they are gunning for him now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He didn't say what the headline says folks.

Come on.

He's not a complete imbecile.

SlickRic wrote: »
    He didn't say what the headline says folks.

Come on.

He's not a complete imbecile.

And nobody without an agenda would think otherwise tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Jose linked to madrid i seen earlier in the rags.. surely madrid wouldntbtake him back now and admit they made a huge mistake sacking him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Van Gaal channeling Baldrick from Blackadder.
    This is getting more pathetic by the day. It's as if he wants the sack, why make him wait?

Glazers Out!

Jose linked to madrid i seen earlier in the rags.. surely madrid wouldntbtake him back now and admit they made a huge mistake sacking him

Been in the media a lot the last week or two. The best one was that Perez is going to offer him a salary of 40million a year to return and sell Ramos and Ronaldo so they don't cause trouble.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    This is getting more pathetic by the day. It's as if he wants the sack, why make him wait?

Have you actually read past the fabricated headline?

°°°°°

Have you actually read past the fabricated headline?

Why would I want to do that?

Glazers Out!

Why would I want to do that?

No reason I suppose.

°°°°°

No reason I suppose.

Didn't bite huh?
    Good man.

Glazers Out!

Didn't bite huh?
    Good man.

After Christmas dinner and Stephans day dinner I don't think I could possibly muster another bite for some time tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose will be a success if he comes, the job he has coveted above all others for years now and with a major point to prove. I'm certain we'll see trophies

There's no excuses for the doctor stunt but you wonder if it would have happened if Mourinho had been given the players he wanted last summer. He had won the league you'd think the higher ups would give him what he wanted to keep him happy

This should help...

What's more interesting there is the sub-headline. . . . Battle on.

In other words. . . Keep losing matches . . . Screw the league. . . But if we don't look like getting fourth at least and it appears you may stop the money supply from the Champions League then that's a different story altogether. We're running a business here . . . Not a football club interesting in winning leagues/trophies

As I stated earlier in this thread. . . Van Gaal is safe for as long as fourth place is reachable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Of course, it's the English media. LVG can't just be under pressure, quotes need to be manipulated etc to make him comparable to a figure of ridicule. Never mind all the previous success he enjoyed and reputation he has built up, he can't just be failing at his job, he needs to be cracking up or cast as the fool. Just as with Capello, Benitez, AVB and even Wenger not long after he arrived.

Van Gaal has already stated that he has the support of Woodward and others (before the Stoke match).

There is no indication whatsoever that LVG is about to be sacked.

The fans can force the issue back onto the agenda tomorrow if the result is a defeat.

What LVG/Woodward/Board just want is a win. . . .From anywhere. . . We'll wait until Sheffield United in the Cup if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Van Gaal has already stated that he has the support of Woodward and others (before the Stoke match).

There is no indication whatsoever that LVG is about to be sacked.

The fans can force the issue back onto the agenda tomorrow if the result is a defeat.

What LVG/Woodward/Board just want is a win. . . .From anywhere. . . We'll wait until Sheffield United in the Cup if required.

You should get a bit of sleep mate the thread will be here when you wake up

• Advertisement

What all United fans just want is a win, from anywhere, then another, and another and another.

Like most football fans I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

What all United fans just want is a win, from anywhere, then another, and another and another.

Like most football fans I'd imagine.

I'd just like a goal, a nice well worked goal. Maybe even more than 1 in the same match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Blatter wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't aware of what Liverpool fans were saying in 93.

But I do know the big difference between now and then. The biggest reason as to why Liverpool went on the slide wasn't due to poor squad management and poor managerial appointments - it was the failure to keep up to date with the money side of things (not being competitive with sponsorships etc.) while United were going from strength to strength on that side of things. I'm sure I don't need to show you the general correlation between how much money you spend and success, it's well documentated.

IMO, United are simply too big to go the way of Liverpool. Just like you won't be seeing Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona going that way in the future. They will go through blips (like we are at the moment) - but they will never go the way Liverpool have.

Terrible transfers I'd say played a big part, Liverpool still spent big, just poorly.

Looking at your transfers the last couple of years, not good at all. Maybe the manager isn't using them right.

Liverpool still aren't good at them, but we aren't talking about pool transfers!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Just after seeing this for the first time in an age courtesy of reddit. It's the King on the receiving end of a standard Vinnie Jones demolition job, but coming out of it as cool as ice, as was his knack...

https://vine.co/v/ehFpHbK3rV2

Here's a closer look with a questionable soundtrack, make sure your device is turned down...

You wouldn't see a player in the modern game get up up off the grass for a week after that challenge.

It's from Wimbledon v United, F.A. Cup 5th Round 93/94. I'm feeling the years revisiting it, but that was a great fúcking game. The team featured the likes of Cantona, Giggs, Keane, Irwin, Pallister, Bruce, Sparky, Ince, Kanchelskis. If you have 8 minutes to kill, you could do worse than give the highlights a watch, you'll be rewarded by 2 peaches from
    Cantona and Dennis 'Beers' Irwin
    and a reminder of what an unstoppable United were like.

Back when we looked like Norwich just because of the jerseys, and not because of the performances and results as is the present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Manchester United are engaged in a desperate attempt to stop Louis van Gaal walking away from Old Trafford, with the manager deeply embarrassed by a losing streak and convinced ahead of Monday night’s match against Chelsea that his team is gone and beyond help.

UK Indo

If this is true then it's for sure that Mourinho is not (ever) going to be manager at United. Also if they put Giggs (temporarily) in place if Van Gaal goes, it might indicate that they will leave the job open in case Guardiola can be convinced to choose United over City.

However if they are sticking with Van Gaal and he succeeds this season, i.e. qualifies for CL, then how likely are they to sack him if Guardiola indicates that he is interested? If Van Gaal fails, then I believe that Guardiola has indicated that he won't accept being even one year out of the CL.

It's hard to know what to make of all this. It seems that the board are still confident and won't panic. Van Gaal must be doing things that make them see long term benefits for the club beyond his 3 year contract.

It could also be that the highly unusual scenario of a manager giving up and quitting might be seen as a huge embarrassment for the club with huge negative impact on the image of the club.

• Jose will be a success if he comes, the job he has coveted above all others for years now and with a major point to prove. I'm certain we'll see trophies

There's no excuses for the doctor stunt but you wonder if it would have happened if Mourinho had been given the players he wanted last summer. He had won the league you'd think the higher ups would give him what he wanted to keep him happy

So the excuse is that Mourihnio is a stubborn child and already had all the best toys but because he didn't get what he wanted the following year from santa he took it out on his elves and Santa's doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

So if Jose does get the job, who will be his assistant? Imagine a Mourinho/Roy Keane manager/assiatant manager team. We would be back to being the most hated team in England in an instant.

And Im not saying Keane should be his ass. just that it would be hilarious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LeeJM wrote: »
    So if Jose does get the job, who will be his assistant? Imagine a Mourinho/Roy Keane manager/assiatant manager team. We would be back to being the most hated team in England in an instant.

And Im not saying Keane should be his ass. just that it would be hilarious

It will be Giggs.

As a heads up, today is the Spanish version of April Fools Day, so be weary of any stories, be they managerial or transfer based, coming out of Spain today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I suppose giggs as manager and Keane as assistant be great too! :-)

• Advertisement

• Odds at the bookies for this next season...

https://twitter.com/FootballFunnys/status/681334090348511232

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement