Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    It would help if fans didn't blame him over utterly stupid ****, like a mispalced place in the Chelsea box, somehow costing us three points.

That he hasn't gone to the under 21's indicates its not an attitude or training problem, just a confidence issue. and that only comes back by getting thrown in there, and having something fall your way.

he had so many options, was in space, had a simple pass, could have ran it to the corner, could have cut back and kept possession, he did the worst thing possible. fans are right not to be happy, his reaction to losing it then was just as bad, just jogging back

I think we'd all prefer finish in better positions but on a discussion board if we all just agree that Utd will go on winning streaks and win leagues or get top 4 finishes etc. when evidence points to the contrary it doesn't really make sense.

Should i go onto the darts forum and say i think Dave Chisnall will be winning every tournament just because i like the lad? Or should i be saying Wexford will be taking Liam Mc Carthy home this year as i'm a hurling fan from Wexford? Should i say Houblon Des Obeaux will win the Gold cup even though all the form points to the contrary? :confused:

Does it not make sense to try look at the team/player/sport from an objective viewpoint and then try form an opinion? I do tend to let my judgement get clouded towards Utd as a fan(a lot less since Van Gaal came in i admit) but not in the same manner some on here do,if we were in 10th place at the minute 15 points behind 4th place i'm sure some of the lads/ladies on here would be confident of us getting 4th. If we seen certain other sides fans speaking in a similar manner we'd call them deluded so why's it different wen we're at it? :confused:

Dude i'm not getting into it but there is a bit difference between being negative and discussing poor performances. Saying things like we havent a hope of getting top 4 is just negative. Trying to be a smart arse when I make a point about the top 4 not being out of reach is negative.

Your are negative posters not saying you dont or shouldnt discuss points everyone does but you are constantly negative about everything like a few others around here.As I said each to thier own. If you still don;t understand the difference PM me as I dont want to derail anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It seems whenever we get in front, we decide to step off and invite pressure. I was raging too myself at the TV screen for that last 20 minutes. We were just sitting back and clearing it when what you should do is control possession and control the game which is something we have done so much this season.

The last twenty minutes after we scored the goal reminded me so much of a Moyes United; "We've scored a goal? Great, everyone fall back and hold on for your lives!" It was a "Let's not lose" performance rather than a "Lets win" one, and, to me, screamed of a manager terrified of getting the sack so just trying not to lose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The last twenty minutes after we scored the goal reminded me so much of a Moyes United; "We've scored a goal? Great, everyone fall back and hold on for your lives!" It was a "Let's not lose" performance rather than a "Lets win" one, and, to me, screamed of a manager terrified of getting the sack so just trying not to lose...

Exactly and it's things like these that set us so far apart from the likes of R.Madrid or Barca or Bayern etc.

Scoring the goal and getting in front is one part but finishing the game is another.

This is pretty much what a Moruhino team would do if they were a goal up with 15 to go..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Dude i'm not getting into it but there is a bit difference between being negative and discussing poor performances. Saying things like we havent a hope of getting top 4 is just negative. Trying to be a smart arse when I make a point about the top 4 not being out of reach is negative.

Your are negative posters not saying you dont or shouldnt discuss points everyone does but you are constantly negative about everything like a few others around here.As I said each to thier own. If you still don;t understand the difference PM me as I dont want to derail anymore.

*Internet Hug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This is pretty much what a Moruhino team would do if they were a goal up with 15 to go..

Yeah except he'd get the 3 points

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Jesus lads this documentary is heart breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Or get knocked out of the Champions League by a player he sold to the opposition.

So the lets not lose attitude is ok once you dont draw? So then its not the attitude people have a problem with just the result. So people are saying they dont care about things once they win and complaining about an certain attitude is just moaning because we drew..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It's not the end of the world. A win would have been unreal but let's not forget next week's fixtures.

City v Spurs and Arsenal v Leicester.

We beat Sunderland next week and we are right back on the mix for fourth with 12 games to play.

12 games is quite a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Table isn't lying. .. we are presently the 5th best side ..... the 4 above deserve to be there.... we just can't get a run of wins to break back into top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Except for this season with Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Smalling was quiet poor as well for the goal. Was a long way away from Blind instead of being covering beside him. And Blind was very naive to run out instead of watching Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We are playing better but still not up to the expected standard,Chelsea have been dispatched by lesser teams than us and were there for the taking today but we retreated and let them into a game they had no right to be in.
    Hard to know if we want draws amongst the top 4 or Leicester and Spurs to win giving us a chance to make up some points on City/Arsenal.

Mata hugged every Chelsea player as they headed for the tunnel.

12642768_974920085878220_2465927496021276821_n.jpg?oh=de0b42c9bb9d7b4b1dd7e05d9149fce2&oe=572B6F17

The thing is, even if you don't want Jose, it still doesn't excuse LVG.

At this stage, it looks like he's a solid 4th-6th place manager, as we look set for our second season in a row stuck in a battle for 4th. Taking Jose out of the equation, the performance from LVG hasn't shown the level of being able to actually challenge for the title.

At this stage, it looks like he's a solid 4th-6th place manager, as we look set for our second season in a row stuck in a battle for 4th. Taking Jose out of the equation, the performance from LVG hasn't shown the level of being able to actually challenge for the title.

This season it's been like the league nobody wants to win yet here we are getting further and further from 3rd or 4th.Had LVG loosened the shackles earlier instead of football by numbers perhaps we would be in the mix.We are not Arsenal.
    Jose knows how to win this league and I'm damn sure if he'd been in charge since before Xmas we'd be better off than 5th.

Im not anti Jose, I just found it strange you would give out about the attitude of one manager when the manager you want for the job would have the exact same attitude.

Im not anti Jose, I just found it strange you would give out about the attitude of one manager when the manager you want for the job would have the exact same attitude.

Fair enough, but the difference ultimately is I'd have faith in Jose to be achieving far, far more as boss. When you look at Jose's record in the league, he wins trophies for fun.

If Jose was our manager, I think we'd be challenging for the title at the moment. So long as LVG remains manager, I don't think we'll get above forth, and it will be a fight to even get that high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Depay should be sent back to PSV. Cost us the game again. His attitude is shocking. Lost possession and then does not bother to track back. I hope he got an absolute bollocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Depay should be sent back to PSV. Cost us the game again. His attitude is shocking. Lost possession and then does not bother to track back. I hope he got an absolute bollocking.

Who fell on their arse to let Costa in. Few factors cost utd today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I really enjoyed today...a really good watch. We played some great stuff, free flowing... very entertaining.
    The result was unfortunate, we deserved 3 points on overall play but DDG was insanely good at the same time.

I think for all the sh!te he gets Felling is crucial to us. As an outlet for an out ball, for his presence around the middle, at set pieces, and in front of the defense when we are under the cosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I really enjoyed today...a really good watch. We played some great stuff, free flowing... very entertaining.
    The result was unfortunate, we deserved 3 points on overall play but DDG was insanely good at the same time.

I think for all the sh!te he gets Fellaini is crucial to us. As an outlet for an out ball, for his presence around the middle, at set pieces, and in front of the defense when we are under the cosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Smalling was drawn to the ball which left Costa free, but CBJ starting position was poor alright, in the end he was covering for Smalling though (maybe it was Blind? it was whoever was in the RCB position during that move) and he actually did get across and make the tackle,the ball just rolled on for Costa again unfortunately
    adox wrote: »
    Thought the same at first with CBJ but I'd hold Blind at least partly responsible too. CBJ was in line with him(they were the two deepest defenders at the time) before Blind decided to rush out to follow John Terry, leaving Costa totally unmarked. CBJ maybe probably should have pushed up when he saw Blind evacuate the space but to be honest it happens so fast I would totally blame him for not running out.

The two young lads do look very good prospects.

Yeah, having watched it again, Blind did make it hard for CBJ by running out at the last second, but I do think he could have reacted quicker to cover behind Blind where Costs was.
    Robson99 wrote: »
    Smalling was quiet poor as well for the goal. Was a long way away from Blind instead of being covering beside him. And Blind was very naive to run out instead of watching Costa

Smalling was out in the RB slot. I don't see what he should have done different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I feel like Memphis should start playing regularly in the U21s for maybe a month or two and in that time give Pereira a chance.

Pereira has been on the scene for a while now but is hardly getting a chance to express himself. He only gets max 10 minutes which isn't enough.

Memphis might be able to rebuild his form and find confidence if he starts playing more regularly.

What he did today was horrible for his confidence and the stuff on twitter (he's trending btw) is only gonna worsen it knowing he will probably see it since he's pretty active on social media.

adox wrote: »
    I think there has been a bit of a shift from the earlier "more attacking" performances where it was an all or nothing attitud(those performances you could count on one hand) and there seems to be a shift from the mindset of possession of the ball being the most important thing.

Utd do seem more happy to stay relatively compact when the opposition have the ball and give up the possession and try and break more quickly when they get the ball back. They are even moving the ball quicker when they do have the ball and actually have runners to play the ball to, instead of going sideways or backwards, so that for me is an improvement and a step in the right direction.

I do agree though that we will give up goals. The squad isn't there to challenge.
    This is a team still playing Daley Blind as a regular CB.

Yeah you're probably right about the change to being more direct now and there being better movement off the ball, but it looks to me like there are still too many gaps left at the back when we lose possession. I agree the squad is weak, but I think with better coaching there would be more balanced and energetic performances to be had out of this squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

was at the game today. thought we did well.

martial is scary when you see him live... such a superstar.

disappointing to lose the late goal

top 4 difficult now

dont want jose

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

was at the game today. thought we did well.

martial is scary when you see him live... such a superstar.

disappointing to lose the late goal

top 4 difficult now

dont want jose

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah, having watched it again, Blind did make it hard for CBJ by running out at the last second, but I do think he could have reacted quicker to cover behind Blind where Costs was.

Smalling was out in the RB slot. I don't see what he should have done different.
    WTF was he doing out there. Hes centre half and he goes missing

A lot don't want Jose but they fail to see an alternative.

I don't want him either but I think we might be getting him

The whole back four was all over the shop for the goal and on a few occasions during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bangkok wrote: »
    A lot don't want Jose but they fail to see an alternative.

I don't want him either but I think we might be getting him

I wanted Pep, but will happily take Jose now.

Shocking value for money... I think Marhez cost Leicester £450k :( Depay not fit to tie his laces....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

secman wrote: »
    Shocking value for money... I think Marhez cost Leicester £450k :( Depay not fit to tie his laces....

There's a quality player there but he needs to get regular games and start tracking back. Unfortunately I don't see either happening anytime soon.

I mean anyone can give the ball away but his tracking back after the mistake was absolutely scandalous. He was barely on and he should have broke his balls to get a tackle in. He genuinely looked like he could not be arsed.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    WTF was he doing out there. Hes centre half and he goes missing

It's perfectly normal for a centre-back to have to fill in for a full-back and stay there until the attack is over.

Nani may have got a lot a fans angry, but at least he had worked hard for the team, I would much rather have seen Nani on the team today over depay, but there is def a player in there, his confidence is at zero at the moment but I believe he will come good

Carrick was also excellent today. We are a much better team with him in it. Great passing and composure on the ball

bangkok wrote: »
    Carrick was also excellent today. We are a much better team with him in it. Great passing and composure on the ball

His vision and passing make a huge difference to the team, an under rated player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

secman wrote: »
    His vision and passing make a huge difference to the team, an under rated player.

Its no coincidence that our results went down him from the time he got injured in the city game last year. I put him in as one of the most vital part if the team.

• Advertisement

The exact same things were said about Schneiderlin a few weeks ago as are being said about Carrick now and even Daley Blind got this treatment last season. Anything approaching good form from the team and people fall over themselves to build up our DMs way beyond what they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its no coincidence that our results went down him from the time he got injured in the city game last year. I put him in as one of the most vital part if the team.

It goes to show how poor Basti has been as we are over reliant on Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bantee wrote: »

Not really though. Schneiderlin should be the man pushing Carrick out of the team but he has been wholly underwhelming so far, defensively he has been solid as you would expect but he has played within himself all season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pro. F wrote: »
    The exact same things were said about Schneiderlin a few weeks ago as are being said about Carrick now and even Daley Blind got this treatment last season. Anything approaching good form from the team and people fall over themselves to build up our DMs way beyond what they deserve.

Carrick's forward passing is sorely missed though when he is out, Schneiderlin has been cowardly in possession, Carrick still manages to zip the ball forward and will take more risks, his issue as always is that his footwork is just not up there at elite level and he can be got at a little too easily and pressured.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bantee wrote: »

I think thats a bit unfair. Schweinsteiger is just a different type player he should never been employed as a dm he is and should be more attacking.

All in all if we had a good enoug setup we should not need two defensive midfielders. The deal of having to play two defensive midfielder is crazy. You don't see any other top teams doing it against bottom half sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not really though. Schneiderlin should be the man pushing Carrick out of the team but he has been wholly underwhelming so far, defensively he has been solid as you would expect but he has played within himself all season.

Schneiderlin's best play for Southampton came when he was beside a DM like Wanyama. This allowed him to play box to box and burst forward like he did today at the end. By and large he hasn't or hasn't been allowed do that at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Carrick's forward passing is sorely missed though when he is out, Schneiderlin has been cowardly in possession, Carrick still manages to zip the ball forward and will take more risks, his issue as always is that his footwork is just not up there at elite level and he can be got at a little too easily and pressured.

Carricks been poor all season in general play. Anytime he's pressed he looks uncomfortable and only looks for his good forward passing when he has time on the ball. Defensively he hasn't been great. I feel like all the dm's are not having great seasons but I feel the system is not helping them the majority of the time as they are restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sky88 wrote: »
    Carricks been poor all season in general play. Anytime he's pressed he looks uncomfortable and only looks for his good forward passing when he has time on the ball. Defensively he hasn't been great. I feel like all the dm's are not having great seasons but I feel the system is not helping them the majority of the time as they are restricted.

I don't know who you've been watching but bar the Arsenal game I can't think of a bad game that Carrick has had.

• I'm disappointed that LVG went for a straight swap for Fellani. Again he played that defensive role well. Taking him off when we were under pressure was a mistake. If he wanted to tighten up things then why not bring Schniederlan on to play alongside him rather than replace him. That last minute goal is still hurting....

The various player ratings scores gave Fellaini a 5...presumably wasn't having a good game.. I am really pi..sed off with the late goal too.. a medicine we often dished out :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement