Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PhilJones4/status/695922644877778944/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Phil getting a lot of criticism for using the Munich air disaster as a means to promote himself.

"Never forget.......to buy the official PJ4 branded crutches from my website."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Lord TSC wrote: »
    2 years ago today...

PDAQ7et.jpg

31 attempts, 9 on target! Would kill for that these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

^^^^ Terrible memories. :( This thread went nuts after that game :p

not a word would have been said had that late goal not went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

beno619 wrote: »
    I think I remeber hearing he was a CB when he made his debut ?

Can anyone who watches the U-21's confirm ?

He is a cb by trade yeah

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

not a word would have been said had that late goal not went in.

Joys of a result-based business :/

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Joys of a result-based business :/

thats just it....we have conceded 3 last ditch goals in our last 5 games, costing us 5 points.

the amount of late killer goals since Fergie left, is disturbing.

southampton
    Fulham
    Cardiff
    Swansea (cup)
    sunderland (cup)
    Everton

newcastle
    Southampton
    chelsea.

am sure theres more there from last season, but i cant remember.

I wonder if its a mentality thing. As in we don't have the confidence to maintain that defense right now.

You'd imagine our "total possession" philosophy should actually be a massive part of holding onto leads, but the last few games, when we've shut up shop, we completely abandon that philosophy. When teams have come at us this season, we've never looked confident of holding them out, and we've had a massive reliance of De Gea too; for all the examples of late goals, there's probably twice as many games where De Gea has single-handedly won us points.

If the plan was to start this "Get 1-0 up and then just park the bus and hoof it forward" philosophy over the possession one, we really, really needed to shore up the defense....

...which annoys me when our defense was our "pride and joy" a few months back...

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    I wonder if its a mentality thing. As in we don't have the confidence to maintain that defense right now.

You'd imagine our "total possession" philosophy should actually be a massive part of holding onto leads, but the last few games, when we've shut up shop, we completely abandon that philosophy. When teams have come at us this season, we've never looked confident of holding them out, and we've had a massive reliance of De Gea too; for all the examples of late goals, there's probably twice as many games where De Gea has single-handedly won us points.

If the plan was to start this "Get 1-0 up and then just park the bus and hoof it forward" philosophy over the possession one, we really, really needed to shore up the defense....

...which annoys me when our defense was our "pride and joy" a few months back...

Out of interest has LVG ever come out and confirmed that his philosophy is "total possession"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

bangkok wrote: »
    He wouldn't be the sharpest knife in the drawer

Probably a "spoon " so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

secman wrote: »
    Probably a "spoon " so :)

A spoon isn't a knife though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

A spoon isn't a knife though.

tumblr_inline_nxz25zDlmH1rmuh86_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Out of interest has LVG ever come out and confirmed that his philosophy is "total possession"?

Nope, quite the opposite. He has been consistent that possession is pointless without goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So Sam cunningham says that mourinho has told his closest friends that he is taking over at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    So Sam cunningham says that mourinho has told his closest friends that he is taking over at United.

Any Sauce to go with that Juicy bit?

Cant find anything on his twitter

Edit: NVM found it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3439495/Jose-Mourinho-tells-friends-summer-Manchester-United-deal.html

• jayo26 wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance but who da **** is Sam Cunningham :P

Excuse my ignorance but who da **** is Sam Cunningham :P

Daily Mail and regular on Sunday supplement mate.

I dont think it's the most reliable of stories usually the close friends stories are only guesswork but I guess it will carry on until summer.

jayo26 wrote: »

Cant be his closest friends if they're leaking it the media. Or Sam Cunningham has to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yes, he has said that possession is very important and that he looks to dominate it. He talks about control a lot and says that that means controlling the possession, controlling the opponent when they have the ball (pressing) and controlling the transitions when you win or lose possession.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yes, he has said that possession is very important and that he looks to dominate it. He talks about control a lot and says that that means controlling the possession, controlling the opponent when they have the ball (pressing) and controlling the transitions when we you win or lose possession.

That's not "total possession" to the extreme assigned to LVG. I don't think anyone would disagree that United could have done with some more possession and more control to close out the Chelsea game. Its clear LVG was furious afterwards.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    That's not "total possession" to the extreme assigned to LVG. I don't think anyone would disagree that United could have done with some more possession and more control to close out the Chelsea game. Its clear LVG was furious afterwards.

"Total possession" doesn't actually mean anything as far as I'm concerned. LVG does say that he wants to dominate possession.

Being furious isn't much use. Being able to install an effective style of football would be much better.

I don't see how it could be negligible, if Mourinho comes in and wins a couple of league titles or trophies which history says he would does that not make us more attractive to potential signings than we are if we don't?

Players these days are swayed one way or the other by recent success not something that happened 5 years ago, a player that wants to win trophies picks City over us right now, but if Mourinho has a successful three year stint then the next manager in has a better chance of signing these players. It's not like City eclipse us in wages, a lot of their players are on suprisingly low wages and we still have a higher wage bill.

I think players are more swayed by money tbh. A successful manager will help getting players in all right, but, imo, that effect is lost as soon as the manager is gone.

Anyway, once you've got the second or third strongest club on the financial front I don't believe that being able to sign the right players is any sort of issue. There are far more players of the required standard than are needed at the club's competing to sign them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Telegraph running the same story about confiding in close friends

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/697188334737694720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

somebody has briefed the media, that is clear - the puzzle is who? Mendes???

i still think something isnt matching up and its propaganda being fed to quieten the discontent after last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

astradave wrote: »
    Telegraph running the same story about confiding in close friends

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/697188334737694720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I see Bryan Robson is pushing for Ryan Giggs to be the manager.

I wonder do the people who push for Giggs ever listen to what they say, or read their comments after they are published.
    His arguments for Giggs could be used for Gary Neville, I don't know why Bryan Robson wants United to be a guinea pig for Giggs to see if he is good enough.
    He fails to mention that Guardiola did do some managing at Barcelona at lower levels before he got the job.
    Ryan just has 4 matches of experience and it was nothing special.

It does look like Ed Woodward lacks sentimentality which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

somebody has briefed the media, that is clear - the puzzle is who? Mendes???

i still think something isnt matching up and its propaganda being fed to quieten the discontent after last couple of weeks.

Woodward and Mendes are good friends.

It might help Woodward to have the crowd at Old Trafford spending more time cheering the team than booing, so he has allowed some leaks to placate fans.

• Advertisement

Just about all the mornings back pages are running with the mourinho and his close friends story now.

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal is surely not going to be happy with this?

And the media are only going to prod him even more now with sharper sticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Really coming around too the idea of Jose been the gaffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All but confirmed now for Mourinho, it's going to take a while to come around to that idea.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I will believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement

• I will believe it when I see it.

Normally I wouldn't go near such tabloid tosh but surely it may have some weight behind it given that they are all quoting the exact same.

If it is true, it's as I thought. The end of the season.

Ronaldinho

Ramos

Fabregas

Robben

Ribery

Etc etc

All it takes is one "itk" to tweet or blog something and every sports outlet will hop on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

So it widely being reported its Jose and based on Mick's article Pochettino is available in about 3 and a half years. Perfect timing as Jose doesn't seem to be staying anywhere longer than 3 years. Whilst there'll be the Mourinho circus around Old Trafford, if he gets the job, I think that's going to help attract a lot of the best talent to Manchester United based on who the manager will be. A lot of his former players seem to love him and the methods he's used. Yes he's fallen out with some but doesn't every manager do that too.

I never understood the appointment of Moyes and never will but when you've a manager with no top level experience or ability to manage top caliber players it was always destined to fail. At that time we should've been just appointed Jose, it might've given us 2/3 more years at the top and then Pep could've had a straight choice between two evenly matched Manchester teams. As things stand, if Jose comes in, its going to be some fun to sit back and enjoy the transfer window and the incomings and outgoings in Manchester.

So it widely being reported its Jose and based on Mick's article Pochettino is available in about 3 and a half years. Perfect timing as Jose doesn't seem to be staying anywhere longer than 3 years. Whilst there'll be the Mourinho circus around Old Trafford, if he gets the job, I think that's going to help attract a lot of the best talent to Manchester United based on who the manager will be. A lot of his former players seem to love him and the methods he's used. Yes he's fallen out with some but doesn't every manager do that too.

I never understood the appointment of Moyes and never will but when you've a manager with no top level experience or ability to manage top caliber players it was always destined to fail. At that time we should've been just appointed Jose, it might've given us 2/3 more years at the top and then Pep could've had a straight choice between two evenly matched Manchester teams. As things stand, if Jose comes in, its going to be some fun to sit back and enjoy the transfer window and the incomings and outgoings in Manchester.

Ronaldinho

Ramos

Fabregas

Robben

Ribery

Etc etc

All it takes is one "itk" to tweet or blog something and every sports outlet will hop on it.

Do you ever have anything positive to say???
    Don't forget the Ozil, Sneijder, Kroos, Shearer, Mikel deals etc...

brinty wrote: »
    Do you ever have anything positive to say???
    Don't forget the Ozil, Sneijder, Kroos, Shearer, Mikel deals etc...

Mikel was the greatest deal in our history.

He was badgered into signing for us, was on the books for a couple of weeks then hawked to Chelsea for about a £12m profit.

The fact he turned out to be a bit shyte also sweetened the deal.

So was the Van Gaal is sacked stuff at Christmas, the two games **** after that and in fact Jose was already in at one point :)

Don't buy in to the bull****, whatever will happen will happen. The media are now very obviously in a campaign to heap as much pressure on, and piss off Van Gaal.

The only negative I can see from it (as I am sure Van Gaal won't be affected very much) is if it begins to unsettle the players which is the last thing we can afford now. They need to be focused and stuck to task

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I find it funny that people think the media have some plan to get LVG sacked.

They aren't making these Jose stories up. Someone might be, I don't know, but it isn't the press.

They aren't making these Jose stories up. Someone might be, I don't know, but it isn't the press.

• Advertisement

Yes those sweethearts in the media have no vested interest in making up stories sure you can see here it doesn't work no one posts links or talks about it.

Yes those sweethearts in the media have no vested interest in making up stories sure you can see here it doesn't work no one posts links or talks about it.

So is it they make it up to get him sacked or make it up to sell papers? which is it?

They'd sell as many papers and get as many clicks with "Woodward wants LVG to sign a new contract".

You can nearly time your watch by these leaks now. Worry its just Mendes campaigning heavily.

El Confidential started things off last week, and they are back at it today...via Sports Witness...
    On Wednesday, El Confidencial report that things have taken a step forward on urgency. It's claimed that Jorge Mendes is arranging the final details via his London offices, with lawyers working on a 'maze of clauses' that will be included in a deal tying Mourinho to Manchester United until 2019. Things are being finalised and resolved, and it sounds like, once the lawyers have done their bit, there's nothing in the way of announcing the deal, should Manchester United wish to.

Mourinho will be paid €20m per year for taking over at Old Trafford, say El Confidencial, which would put him on less than Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. Again, there's no definitive date of takeover set out, but that is likely to depend upon the club and circumstance.

El Confidencial have a history of getting there first, and a history of scoops, and we've been impressed for years, especially with their Real Madrid exclusives and insightful reporting of situations. It remains to be seen if they've pulled it out of the bag once more here.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/mendes-lawyers-finalise-mourinho-to-man-united-in-london-20m-per-

EDIT: Re: the media "making things up"; if LVG wasn't struggling, there'd be no stories. While the media publish them, he's not doing the nessecary things on his end to stop them being printed. There's a massive swell of support for a change in manager, and thats not cause the media are pushing agendas, it's cause LVG is failing on the field...

So is it they make it up to get him sacked or make it up to sell papers? which is it?

They'd sell as many papers and get as many clicks with "Woodward wants LVG to sign a new contract".

No they wouldnt they know the fans aren't happy and manager sackings will get the most clicks. Then when it looks like he won't new manager in the summer more clicks. I'll let you in on a secret Mitch all the transfer reportsaren't real either ;)

No they wouldnt they know the fans aren't happy and manager sackings will get the most clicks. Then when it looks like he won't new manager in the summer more clicks. I'll let you in on a secret Mitch all the transfer reportsaren't real either ;)

I'll let you in on a secret too - the press don't make stuff up all the time.

Something not happening as the press say is not the same as them making it up. They report stories they get from sources. Sometimes the sources are wrong, sometimes the sources are playing games (as I think might be the case with Jose) and sometimes the source is right but the deal just doesn't happen.

But whatever, you seem happy to live in your little world whre the big bad media people sit around all day making stories up and raking in the cash from all the clicks, so go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No they wouldnt

I'd say they would get more clicks actually, and certainly more feedback. Fans would be queuing up to comment and vent their displeasure at the news of a new contract, whereas if the news was about a sacking they would just go "yay".

If the media stories are completely fabricated then if I was the editor I would demand a "new contract" story, then when we run the "sacked" story next week we get to have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If Payet ends up going to China for £38m in the next few days it will be some farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Jose has told his closest friends he will be taking the United job. His closest friends run off and tell the papers? Is that how this is supposed to have happened?

Do you think they might be ok with pissing him off though? Putting him under pressure to see what kind of reaction they can get from him at the next press conference?

Is that as funny, less funny, or more funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Maybe getting jose has all been agreed and lvg knows it but he doesn't want it public yet. A lot of people have said that the timing of pep to city has undermined pellegrinis job and could affect the players. There is still a chance of a trophy this season and lvg needs the players fully focused on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement