Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Football365 reckon this 'done deal' talk is coming from Harry Redknap, not Mendes.

Never knew 'arry and Jose were friends.

This is like the Pep to City story,no official comment but the dogs in the street know it will happen and it's only a matter of time before somebody says "yes it's true,Jose will be United manager after the end of this season".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Marca are saying United have no set agreement with Mourinho and that Jose was told 'We'll talk in June' by Ed Woodward.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/697385879325769728

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

astradave wrote: »
    DiMarzio isn't one to put his name on the line saying something so certainly.

Yeah, considering how most of those ITKs tend not to be so definitive, he's basically 100% on board the train now, which makes me happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Lord TSC wrote: »
    DiMarzio asked about Jose on Twitter an hour ago...

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/697410752513208320

i just told few days ago, i know he'll be the next manager

That's as good as done so. Di Marzio is about as reliable as it gets. Have to say I'm really disappointed but hopefully Jose can prove me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It was stated in the press that United met Pep in Paris. The very next day United were strong and public in their denial.

It has been stated for a wee or so that United are in talks with Mourinho and even close to agreeing on a deal for him to take over.

NOT. A. PEEP from United.

Their silence is speaking volumes, imo.

Also the Club know how much the speculation rattles LvG but they don't make statements to back him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

bangkok wrote: »
    Mendes has massive fish to fry now in china, he is behind most of them deals to bring all the players to china

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/guo-guangchang-chairman-of-fosun-group-attends-gestifute-news-photo/505484342

he has a link up with one of his companies and a company in china. $$$$$$$$$

Ronaldo to China so after his Madrid contract is up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Discodog wrote: »
    Also the Club know how much the speculation rattles LvG but they don't make statements to back him up.

Also.. I understand how difficult it is to obtain the caliber of player that we would want in the January window but considering how depleted we are in terms of numbers and quality in certain areas I am still surprised that we didn't manage to bring in at least one new face be it loan or whatever. It looks like a dogfight for fourth place in all reality so I'd guess maybe that LVG wasn't backed by the hierarchy when it came to adding to the squad presuming that someone else is coming in sooner or later. I know LVG wanted to add as he said.. could be reading too much into it but just a hunch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Strumms wrote: »
    Also.. I understand how difficult it is to obtain the caliber of player that we would want in the January window but considering how depleted we are in terms of numbers and quality in certain areas I am still surprised that we didn't manage to bring in at least one new face be it loan or whatever. It looks like a dogfight for fourth place in all reality so I'd guess maybe that LVG wasn't backed by the hierarchy when it came to adding to the squad presuming that someone else is coming in sooner or later. I know LVG wanted to add as he said.. could be reading too much into it but just a hunch...

I believe United were interested in a left back to fill in for Shaw prior to Christmas. There was talk of Cresswell at West Ham. The emergence of CBJ probably led the management and club to reassess if they really needed another back up left back. The other key positions United need to strengthen critically are RW and striker, but its likely there was simply nothing better than what was already in the squad available in January.

If the club decided they didn't trust LVG in the transfer market, they would have sacked him in Dec/Jan and replaced him with Mourinho. Instead they clearly decided to back him by keeping him in the role.

I think its valid to criticise LVGs results and the playing style served up, but hes been almost entirely solid on bringing good players in. Memphis might be the only stumble, and even so Memphis is only 7 months into his career at the club. It would be odd for the club to trust him on tactics but to withold funds to sign players when he has been a relatively good judge of players to bring in (passed on Pedro, passed on Benteke - both hugely underwhelming)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

For me there is no doubt Mourinho will bring success but the question is in what manner and when he would leave

Maybe naively, I think he would go for a longer stint at United to get rid of the quick fix tag that has attached to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

For me there is no doubt Mourinho will bring success but the question is in what manner and when he would leave

Maybe naively, I think he would go for a longer stint at United to get rid of the quick fix tag that has attached to him

I dont think there's even a quick fix for utd. Its a job that could be Jose's hardest one to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sand wrote: »

I think its valid to criticise LVGs results and the playing style served up, but hes been almost entirely solid on bringing good players in. Memphis might be the only stumble, and even so Memphis is only 7 months into his career at the club. It would be odd for the club to trust him on tactics but to withold funds to sign players when he has been a relatively good judge of players to bring in (passed on Pedro, passed on Benteke - both hugely underwhelming)

Just on Memphis.. think he has bags of talent although the attitude i think needs adjusting quite a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Didn't he say that his last stint at Chelsea was going to be for the long term? He can't help himself messing up, it's just the way he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The main stumbling block for him with the Barcelona job too, they told him the media behaviour is not something they want to be associated with, he said he understands its not good but its his style and he isn't going to change.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Didn't he say that his last stint at Chelsea was going to be for the long term? He can't help himself messing up, it's just the way he is.

How did he mess up the Chelsea job?

Yes he sacked that physio he was just unfortunate team turned on him over hazard losing his friends with benefits

How did he mess up the Chelsea job?

Yes he sacked that physio he was just unfortunate team turned on him over hazard losing his friends with benefits

How did he mess up the Chelsea job? Seriously that's a question?

I won't even get in to the speculative part of your post, he messed up the Chelsea job by not strengthening in the summer and taking the champions into a relegation battle.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't know why everyone is jumping to conclusions that Mourinho will be managing us next season. Did he not say in his latest interview something about heading back to London. Cant see him commuting up and down to Manchester. Could he be lined up to take over from Wenger or head back to manage Chelsea after reconciling the diffirences with Abrahomovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

How did he mess up the Chelsea job? Seriously that's a question?

I won't even get in to the speculative part of your post, he messed up the Chelsea job by not strengthening in the summer and taking the champions into a relegation battle.

The players not him are responsible for the form they turned on him it's well known

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

billyhead wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is jumping to conclusions that Mourinho will be managing us next season. Did he not say in his latest interview something about heading back to London. Cant see him commuting up and down to Manchester. Could he be lined up to take over from Wenger or head back to manage Chelsea after reconciling the diffirences with Abrahomovic

Chelsea? Seriously

Arsenal? About as much chance as he has going back to Chelsea.

Zero for both

The players not him are responsible for the form they turned on him it's well known

So he has no responsibility in your eyes? The players turned on him alright, that is clear that some fell out with him. The reason why is nothing but speculation and innuendo unless you have something to back up the theory. Could it be that they got fed up of him making it all about him? Refusing to take responsibility for his shortcomings? Throwing them under the bus? Accusing them of betrayal was probably the final straw alright....

If your hypothesis is correct and the players turned on him, did they all just do it for the laugh one day? Decide, hey you know what, lets **** the manager over! Lets get him sacked, sure he brought some of us to the club, gave us some success in the past and just won us a league title but **** all that, lets just get him the sack by playing piss poor.

Unbelievable that there would actually be someone who thinks the manager of the club has no responsibility for how the team plays.

Do you think Van Gaal is blameless for any of United's woes also out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

bangkok wrote: »
    Chelsea? Seriously

Arsenal? About as much chance as he has going back to Chelsea.

Zero for both

He did mention about returning to London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well he couldn't say Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

No he actually said he wanted the family Base to stay in London but that dont actually mean he has to manage in London its a decision he and his wife made before going back to chelsea.

Think I saw that interview, and my understanding of it is that he was saying London is now his home, he can't be uprooting his kids with the age they now are etc. That's not me surmising, he did actually mention the kids being older and having friends and school to go to and it is not good to move them around now. I didn't take from it that he was 'coming back' to London in a football capacity. To be honest, my reading of that whole interview was him getting a few words in himself in the midst of all the press speculation, the overall message - "I'm staying in England (and by extension English football), for anyone who that may concern." You never know, he could end up at Fulham or Q.P.R. :pac:

I don't see the London - Manchester commute as a big problem to someone like Jose. It's often assumed that these super-rich people, masters of their craft, have the perfect life (because money) and get to go home to the wife/husband and kids at the end of each day and have a nice meal together. In many instances across many professions though, especially those related to industries that bring about celebrity, the worker (in this case Mourinho) can go weeks without seeing his family or stepping inside the place he calls home such is the demand of the job. Probably why they are "super-rich" in the first place because short of winning a lottery or gaining an inheritance, no one's gonna hand you a fortune just for sitting on your hole.

Anyway, long story short, he might not come to Old Trafford in the end but I don't think any commute between London and Manchester would be a reason. Nor do I think that any of the other big London clubs are going to be his next employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He could do what Roy Keane did at Sunderland, live in Manchester 3 days a week and Sunderland 4 days a week.

Beckham iirc lived in London the last year or 2 of his United career and used to drive round trip everyday

Edit: just checked there beckham seemed to do what Keane did at Sunderland. Can't imagine it would be an issue for mourinho. Helicopter wouldn't be too long a commute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Looks like CL football might already be gone for next season, I think that's more of a problem than a manager who upsets people and without CL we won't be able to be so picky. It's some hole we've dug ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Jose is obviously staying in London to take the Spurs job when we get Pochettino :D

I have put faith in Gianluca Di Marzio in the past and it has paid off. However, to come out and answer that "Any news on Mourinho to United?" question with "I just told you a few days ago...I know he'll be the next manager" is quite a confident statement from a man who has built up something so rare - online credibility as a football journalist - and who you reckon wants to keep hold of that credibility.

Someone important believes without doubt that Mourinho to United is a done deal, and they have leaked it to Di Marzio. That is me assuming that Di Marzio is wise enough to sense if he was being manipulated in a propaganda campaign lead by someone like Jorge Mendes, of course. I do not doubt that an achiever like Mendes longs for one of his prized possessions to be sitting as Manchester United manager, it would be another notch on his bedpost just to begin with. Who knows what strings are being pulled in the background right now, in Old Trafford never mind Mendes' camp. I do know that the longer these wave of specific reports about Mourinho to United carry on, the sooner United should release a statement clarifying the future of LVG at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Jose's £300m war chest is the headline in The Star.
    Somebody needs shooting there.

Pretty much every single paper is running with Jose to United as done.

Better pay than Pep apparently, crazy how much it is being reported now

Van Gaal's next interview is going to be interesting

• Advertisement

Also speculation of Andrea Berta coming is as DOF, has been said in here before by others and myself it might be best to bring one in and leave the business side to Woody. Leave Woody to continue signing up sponsors while someone else handles the transfers

Mail saying some of the players and staff are worried about his confrontational style.Sure didn't LVG come with the same rep? Moyes arrived and was walked all over by the players,that turned out well........

Woodward has to do a bit of explaining come lunchtime as he takes part in a conference call with the Glazers,good timing with the Jose story so.

Better pay than Pep apparently, crazy how much it is being reported now

Van Gaal's next interview is going to be interesting

He'll have the wife, children, grandchildren, nephew and the chef from Wings in the presser with him, demanding an apology from the media for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

/sticks fingers in ears

**** LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ****

/refusing to get hopes up.

I suppose if we do sign him at least the Bangman will have someone to bitch about other than Fellaini.

• Wow it's even gone to the extent where they are saying Jose has already told Woody that he wan'ts to sell Mata & The Big Fella..lol how many guns can someone jump in a week??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wow it's even gone to the extent where they are saying Jose has already told Woody that he wan'ts to sell Mata & The Big Fella..lol how many guns can someone jump in a week??!

If Jose is coming in I hope he has told Woody the plans for the squad now and we're not sitting on our hands come transfer window. If he's identified a number of players to bring in lets have the deals in place and ready to go for the 1st of July. It makes sense. And if there's a number of p[layers he wants gone, get that done too..

Jose friend is some bladder mouth that all the papers got the exclusive on this story....

In other news BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Euro championships will probably hold up potential transfers so they need to sort it early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Still not putting any faith in these done deal stories the press are running with at the moment. I don't think it is anywhere near as close to done as the press are saying.

Though I would love if a deal was basically done, and the club were already working on the transfer plans (in and outs) with Jose - rather than trying to start from scratch in July like they did with Moyes and LVG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Please let it be true

Looks like Blanc has signed a new contract with PSG.

Another name off both our list of candidates and Jose's list of possible destinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wow it's even gone to the extent where they are saying Jose has already told Woody that he wan'ts to sell Mata & The Big Fella..lol how many guns can someone jump in a week??!

I had to laugh at that story, they start it off with saying it's an exclusive then they said if he gets the job and then onto saying it's thought that he will get rid of....... Sure anyone could think and write down there thoughts and it would be exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I'm sure Mata and Fellaini feel great about these stories!! Hopefully all this speculation won't distract the players.

I'll be so sad to see Juan go. :( if that's actually true (most likely bs I know) then it's bad form to not even give them a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jeez I'd say Bangkok is rejoicing and can't wait for Jose to get here now....

I just hope for Bangkoks sake that Jose doesn't sign another player who got Bangkok friend zoned ;)

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Looks like Blanc has signed a new contract with PSG.

Another name off both our list of candidates and Jose's list of possible destinations.

I'd say with the money PSG can afford to lob at him he's defo comfortable

• Advertisement

I'm sure Mata and Fellaini feel great about these stories!! Hopefully all this speculation won't distract the players.

I'll be so sad to see Juan go. :( if that's actually true (most likely bs I know) then it's bad form to not even give them a chance.
    On Mata - Jose knows enough about Mata from their time at Chelsea to form an opinion, rightly or wrongly.

On Fellaini.... meh.

To be honest, I think the summer Moyes came in should have seen significant player movement but Moyes gave everyone a chance, and it hampered us. Then LVG came in and did pretty much the same thing (on a smaller timescale) and it hampered us then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Only bad thing about Jose joining is that he's about 3 years too late. This season is a write off.

Harsh on LVG? Sorry, it's a professional game, he's a big boy on big wages. Rough has to come with the smooth and not challenging for EPL Title / Champions League cannot be seen as anything other than failure, regardless of excuse.

Will be very interested to learn where JM sees Utd to be weakest.

Fenix wrote: »
    Only bad thing about Jose joining is that he's about 3 years too late. This season is a write off.

Harsh on LVG? Sorry, it's a professional game, he's a big boy on big wages. Rough has to come with the smooth and not challenging for EPL Title / Champions League cannot be seen as anything other than failure, regardless of excuse.

Will be very interested to learn where JM sees Utd to be weakest.

Would certainly be interesting to see who he would want United to try to sign.

I would guess Stones, Laporte and Varane will be the top CB targets. And then we'll buy Garay :pac:

Elsewhere.... fook knows. I could see Jose really liking Herrera, but then I thought LVG would like him too.

Jose was pretty keen on Pogba too, wasn't he? Be interesting to see if that keeps up.

Could see him wanting three big names; a CB, a CM and then an attacking player. Could be a right winger if he's happy with Martial on the left flank and Rooney up front, or a striker if he wants to drop Rooney back into #10.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Would certainly be interesting to see who he would want United to try to sign.

I would guess Stones, Laporte and Varane will be the top CB targets. And then we'll buy Garay :pac:

Elsewhere.... fook knows. I could see Jose really liking Herrera, but then I thought LVG would like him too.

Followed by the signing of Gaitan

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement