Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jose linked to madrid i seen earlier in the rags.. surely madrid wouldntbtake him back now and admit they made a huge mistake sacking him

I saw that story yesterday and just don't get it. Is Benitez under pressure at Real or something? Last I'd heard is that they beat some team 10-0 a couple of weeks back so I'm not sure where the Madrid installing Mourinho immediately rumour is coming from. Fully expect Benetiz to part company with them in summer but not now. I think its a case of paper not refusing ink tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I saw that story yesterday and just don't get it. Is Benitez under pressure at Real or something? Last I'd heard is that they beat some team 10-0 a couple of weeks back so I'm not sure where the Madrid installing Mourinho immediately rumour is coming from. Fully expect Benetiz to part company with them in summer but not now. I think its a case of paper not refusing ink tbh

Think same situation as us; he's an obvious upgrade on what they have, and is a world class manager who is readily available.

Only thing I'd say is the two sources I'm seeing on it are a rag paper in Spain, and Duncan Castle who loves nothing more than trolling Man United fans.

EDIT: The 10-2 game was against some lower team, in a league with a bigger gulf, who had had two players sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I heard from a chelsea season ticket holder that word around chelsea is hazard was riding the doc jose sacked and the team revolted because of hazard loyalties

I heard from a chelsea season ticket holder that word around chelsea is hazard was riding the doc jose sacked and the team revolted because of hazard loyalties

That's some rumour to be putting out there DK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    That's some rumour to be putting out there DK

Just a guy i know well and he says word in the stands are it all stems from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If we lose today the club will be on its worst run of form in 80 odd years - even a lucky win might not be good enough for LVG.

irishfeen wrote: »
    If we lose today the club will be on its worst run of form in 80 odd years - even a lucky win might not be good enough for LVG.

Probably blind optimism, but I think the deed is done, so to speak.

I think one way or other, he'll resign tonight, barring a ludicrous 7-0 win or something similar. Even a scrapped win could just be a high note for him to walk on. But I said a while back I thought we'd see Jose in after the Chelsea game, and standing by that. 1 win in 7 won't change the fact its a disastrous run.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Probably blind optimism, but I think the deed is done, so to speak.

I think one way or other, he'll resign tonight, barring a ludicrous 7-0 win or something similar. Even a scrapped win could just be a high note for him to walk on. But I said a while back I thought we'd see Jose in after the Chelsea game, and standing by that. 1 win in 7 won't change the fact its a disastrous run.

Would resigning not cost him millions?

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Would resigning not cost him millions?

Would depend.

If it was a "resignation", there could still be an under-the-table payoff or something, an enticement to jump before pushed. Given he's halfway through a 3 season contract, I don't know if it would be a massive bonus he'd get by being fired anyway. The talks were that he was on 6m a year, so presumably the max it would be would be 9m (1 and a half years salary), and I'd imagine a firing wouldn't force a full payout. I think the standard is to pay the rest of the years wages (thats what was rumored for Jose leaving Chelsea).

On the other hand, if it was a genuine resignation...well, given his age and success, I'd say he's well loaded anyway, so maybe the money isn't that big a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

She got married recently.

• Advertisement

• Just a guy i know well and he says word in the stands are it all stems from that

Source must be Alex Meir

I joke I joke!!
    I kid I kid!!!

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would depend.

If it was a "resignation", there could still be an under-the-table payoff or something, an enticement to jump before pushed. Given he's halfway through a 3 season contract, I don't know if it would be a massive bonus he'd get by being fired anyway. The talks were that he was on 6m a year, so presumably the max it would be would be 9m (1 and a half years salary), and I'd imagine a firing wouldn't force a full payout. I think the standard is to pay the rest of the years wages (thats what was rumored for Jose leaving Chelsea).

On the other hand, if it was a genuine resignation...well, given his age and success, I'd say he's well loaded anyway, so maybe the money isn't that big a deal.

I've a feeling he will leave the club via mutual agreement. LVG will still get some cash out it more than likely.

Out of interest how much was Jose on with Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

UK Indo

If this is true then it's for sure that Mourinho is not (ever) going to be manager at United. Also if they put Giggs (temporarily) in place if Van Gaal goes, it might indicate that they will leave the job open in case Guardiola can be convinced to choose United over City.

However if they are sticking with Van Gaal and he succeeds this season, i.e. qualifies for CL, then how likely are they to sack him if Guardiola indicates that he is interested? If Van Gaal fails, then I believe that Guardiola has indicated that he won't accept being even one year out of the CL.

It's hard to know what to make of all this. It seems that the board are still confident and won't panic. Van Gaal must be doing things that make them see long term benefits for the club beyond his 3 year contract.

It could also be that the highly unusual scenario of a manager giving up and quitting might be seen as a huge embarrassment for the club with huge negative impact on the image of the club.

That article reads like a horoscope. All "could" "may" and othe rubbish. There is nothing new in it. LVG said himself that he will keep working the way he always worked. Of course Rooneys England place is under threat if he is a sub at his club.

None of the football writers know anything about the inner goings on at Utd. They are a closed shop when it comes to press info and 100% of what you read is opinion and speculation.

Whether he sees out the season or not is a moot point, LVG won't see out his contract with Utd. The players are not playing for him and that's the beginning of the end wherever it happens. The only thing delaying the inevitable is lining up the next manager. Resign or sacked, it doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Source must be Alex Meir

I joke I joke!!
    I kid I kid!!!

Dont wake him up he is resting he had a long day.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I've a feeling he will leave the club via mutual agreement. LVG will still get some cash out it more than likely.

Out of interest how much was Jose on with Chelsea?

The report was £12m. Said LVG was on 6 and Jose would take the pay cut. Also said Chelsea would be expected to make up any differences between the two wages till the summer if he took the job before the end of the season. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

The report was £12m. Said LVG was on 6 and Jose would take the pay cut. Also said Chelsea would be expected to make up any differences between the two wages till the summer if he took the job before the end of the season. :pac:

Kind of like the Nani loan a few years back???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'd just like a goal, a nice well worked goal. Maybe even more than 1 in the same match.

Excluding own goals and a penalty, the last time we scored more than one goal in a game in all competitions was Everton away on 17th of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Seems general expectations are that giggs is taking over from LVG.

Only acceptable if pep is coming in, if they make Giggs permanent then the entire board should be fuc*ked out.

This last few months really has shown up the club in a very poor light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seems general expectations are that giggs is taking over from LVG.

Only acceptable if pep is coming in, if they make Giggs permanent then the entire board should be fuc*ked out.

This last few months really has shown up the club in a very poor light.

I can only see Giggs taking over for the remainder of the season if the club have secure Pep in the summer.

If, as the informed speculation seems to suggest, United aren't even trying for Pep because they feel he is going to City, then Giggs will get it for a few days until Mourinho is confirmed as the new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Nalz wrote: »
    Excluding own goals and a penalty, the last time we scored more than one goal in a game in all competitions was Everton away on 17th of October.

Andy Mitten on Newstalk stated that he spoke to a fan who has a season ticket behind the goal opposite the Stretford End..... And he has yet to see a United goal scored at that end this season.

• Advertisement

I can only see Giggs taking over for the remainder of the season if the club have secure Pep in the summer.

If, as the informed speculation seems to suggest, United aren't even trying for Pep because they feel he is going to City, then Giggs will get it for a few days until Mourinho is confirmed as the new manager.

Do you think the hierarchy at United want Mourinho?

I don't think they do.

I don't think, if Chelsea win, they will even want to sack LVG in the first place....

Bet there was a lot of thigh and groin injuries when she was there!

Alex Meier wrote: »

I don't think they do.

I don't think, if Chelsea win, they will even want to sack LVG in the first place....

I think there is some opposition to Mourinho, but I don't think it will be enough to stop it happening, especially if Pep is a no-go. Who else could they get?

I think there is some opposition to Mourinho, but I don't think it will be enough to stop it happening, especially if Pep is a no-go. Who else could they get?

Could wait till the summer and go after a Ponchetto or someone of his level. A tier two manager.

Not saying they will or I'd want that, but could be how it goes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

This last few years really has shown up the club in a very poor light.

Fixed that !

Utd are on the slippery slide to nowhere, and years of failure are ahead.

Alex Meier wrote: »

I don't think they do.

It's probably a split decision.

From speaking to Utd supporting friends/work colleagues that also seems to be the case.

Could wait till the summer and go after a Ponchetto or someone of his level. A tier two manager.

Not saying they will or I'd want that, but could be how it goes....

Honestly, I just don't see it happening.

With Mourinho available now I can't see them justifying not getting him in now in favour of MAYBE getting someone in the summer. I don't think they will allow half a season to list by with an interim manager.

Of course it could happen, I just can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think they should go after Mark Hughes. The man is a United legend who has went off and done his own thing and been successful at it.

The fact he hasn't won anything shouldn't detract from what he has done. He has been managing through an era where there were a couple of clubs way richer than the rest and his only shot at that was with Manchester City where imo he didn't get enough time.

I'd imagine the fans would get behind him and his football is much more attractive than what you've been seeing up to now. Mourinho's teams don't exactly play entertaining football either and I think he would be the wrong choice after Van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

United need an elite manager.

Moyes was not one.

LVG was one at one stage but it seems the touch has gone.

Carlo, Pep or Jose are elite managers.

If considering someone like Hughes we might as well consider Steve Bruce.

Appointing Hughes would be more damaging than the Moyes appointment IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Agreed, if we want to be an elite club who attracts top players we need the best manager available.

Sparky has done well but is not for us.

It'll be Giggs for the job. . . I mean - It's not implausible to assume that LVG was asked to take on Giggs as his AM from the board when he took the job as there would have been no clear reason for LVG to choose Giggs himself.

The plan appears to have been that Giggs was to be primed for the job under master LVG over three years. . . until LVG would then retire and hand the reins to Giggs.

Mourinho doesn't fit in anywhere especially considering United turned him down and went for Moyes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'll be stuck at the airport in Madrid for several hours around the game later so I've no excuse to miss it, like the last few. I'll try my best to convince Ronaldo to sign if he happens to be hanging around there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think they should go after Mark Hughes. The man is a United legend who has went off and done his own thing and been successful at it.

The fact he hasn't won anything shouldn't detract from what he has done. He has been managing through an era where there were a couple of clubs way richer than the rest and his only shot at that was with Manchester City where imo he didn't get enough time.

I'd imagine the fans would get behind him and his football is much more attractive than what you've been seeing up to now. Mourinho's teams don't exactly play entertaining football either and I think he would be the wrong choice after Van Gaal.

The Hughes thing has already been discussed a few pages back.

I think it would be madness to appoint him. Too much of a risk, unproven at the highest level, has been shown to spend money poorly when having a lot available. Saying that he plays much more attractive football than Van Gaal could be said for every other manager in the premier league, even big Sam and Pulis.

Utd need to be as pragmatic about the next appointment as they can be. No appointment is a certainty but they need to appoint someone the most likely to bring silverware back to the club and quick.

Two of the best managers in world football today are available. It would be negligent of Utd not to try and sign one of them up.

Moyes was not one.

Totally agree. . . I'd extend that to Pochettino also.

United cannot take risks on the next manager.

The top level managers are Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola, Simeone, Enrique has done superbly, Klopp (although his star waned a bit last season).

If one becomes available and you're replacing your manager then you go and get him. . . No more messing around with unproven bosses with no silverware to their names. . . Like Giggs, Moyes, Hughes, Bruce etc. .

If one becomes available and clearly wants the job (i.e. Mourinho) and is prepared to take a pay cut and not go to Real Madrid (who also want him) then United will deserve what's coming down the line for them if they choose the likes of Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Moyes was not one.

LVG at United reminds me of Trap with Ireland, both great managers who have just had the game pass them by ever so slightly but haven't the inclination or insight to change how they approach the game.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Fixed that !

Utd are on the slippery slide to nowhere, and years of failure are ahead.

True that, since David Gill has gone we've been a disaster footballing wise, many people say he was a bigger loss than Fergie

Woodward is a fantastic accountant and a real asset but outside of this he appears to lack the experience and balls on the football side.

A partnership if someone like Gill for the football side and then Woodward for the commercial deals would be an excellent prospect but can't see Woodward ever having the guts to do it, would be an admission that he is struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Get the feeling that they've no manager at all lined up, that Mourinho and Pep deals are done elsewhere. If and looks likely LVG is out its very worryingly looking like our next appointment is also going to be a gamble. Would hate this to be true but just get this feeling there's no one only Giggs to take over

nullzero wrote: »
    LVG at United reminds me of Trap with Ireland, both great managers who have just had the game pass them by ever so slightly but haven't the inclination or insight to change how they approach the game.

Add in that it appears that both joined United/Ireland in their sixties and on the verge of retirement to top up their pensions. One huge difference is LVG is managing one of the biggest clubs in the world.

There's no doubt that LVG was a very successful manager. The great Ajax team of the mid 1990s he managed were superb to watch. . . Just like Traps Juventus of the 1980s.

Louis was forever off the bench then (something he is criticised for not doing now. . unfairly IMO) and appeared to have a greater appetite for the game then.

Get the feeling that they've no manager at all lined up, that Mourinho and Pep deals are done elsewhere. If and looks likely LVG is out its very worryingly looking like our next appointment is also going to be a gamble. Would hate this to be true but just get this feeling there's no one only Giggs to take over

Or I'd the stories of Woodward thinking that LVG is a "genius" , "this is only a blip" and "its the fans fault that there is bad publicity, the football is good quality" are true, then it means we have no manager lined up as like Moyes, there is no intention to sack him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Giggs will make a great United manager someday not now. He still needs more experience perhaps joining the Valencia set up would be his next move or staying on as assistant to the next manager but giving him the job now wouldn't be wise imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Nevermind Hughes and Giggs, had a friend tell me very adamantly on Stephens Night that Alan Pardew would be a good choice. Think I sobered up the second he said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Giggs will make a great United manager someday not now. He still needs more experience perhaps joining the Valencia set up would be his next move or staying on as assistant to the next manager but giving him the job now wouldn't be wise imo.

Im not a united fan, what gives you the impression giggs will make a great utd manager someday? I reeally dont see how anyone can say that, there is no evidence to suggest that.

Interesting to look at the run of league results just before Moyes got the sack in April 2014 and comparing to Van Gaal now.

Before Moyes' 2-0 defeat at Everton (which sealed his fate. . the famous "grim reaper" match) United had won 5 of their previous 7 . . . Scoring 15 goals and conceding 7. . . Not exactly form for a manager to be sacked. Of course the two he didn't win were disastrous 3-0 home defeats to Liverpool and City (who finished second and first respectively). However losing at Everton meant no CL football so that was that.

Van Gaals last 9 league matches have seen two wins (which both required a last minute OG or penalty) and 7 goals scored with United failing to score in four of those matches.

Lippi will look for a job in the summer. Won the worlds cup, champions league. Apparently the inspiration for alex ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Nevermind Hughes and Giggs, had a friend tell me very adamantly on Stephens Night that Alan Pardew would be a good choice. Think I sobered up the second he said it.

Arguably done by better than our current and previous management. Actually no question he's done better given the resources and players at his disposal. Not that I want him as our manager but he's not a terribly bad one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

POKERKING wrote: »
    Im not a united fan, what gives you the impression giggs will make a great utd manager someday? I reeally dont see how anyone can say that, there is no evidence to suggest that.

Roy Keane has better credentials at this stage of their managerial careers... and I wouldn't give him job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The most successful player in the history of the club. He was also one of the most important players under Sir Alex Ferguson. He has now been involved in the backroom staff under a very poor period for the team giving him vital experience on how to handle winning and losing. If he leaves and gets outside experience too he could come back the petfect candidate for the job in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Neymar has said that Man City are interested in signing him, he was asked if he was aware of Man City's interest, he replied “Yes, yes.” then said “I don’t know, life is long.”

Two jobs for Ed, do what it takes to get Pep, and then do the same for Neymar. If we can compete with the oil money of City, then buy the best quality, as we lack the very best quality in terms of best right now, we have some great potential for the future.

He has now been involved in the backroom staff under a very poor period for the team

Precisely the reason why he should not be given the job. He's the common denominator in this disastrous Moyes/Van Gaal era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

nullzero wrote: »

I actually think he was on track this season. More than last season anyway when all the players he left out for a few weeks/months bailed him out a good few times.

When the season started United were in complete control of teams and with the players there the front players were bound to start producing. It's baffling me how it's gone like it has.

Memphis and Mata completely isolated out wide. These are players who clearly play better with players to link up with and aren't going to beat 2 players and put in a great cross. Though both are capable of putting in great balls and shooting cutting in from wide. It seems obvious to me to have them come inside more but we haven't seen that really.

I'm a fan of Fellaini but he's been a headless chicken the last few games. He doesn't seem to be sure of his position but he's one of the players actually getting chances so I wouldn't be overly critical of him.

I haven't been overly impressed by Schneiderlin but it has to be him and Schwein for the next few games anyway with Herrera in front and Rooney up front. Martial can play on the wing but could also do with a week on the bench I think. I'd stick with Memphis as I think he needs to play to avoid his confidence going completely.

I think it may also be important to get Blind back to CB but with 4 first team full backs/full back cover players injured that might not be feasible.

Just a complete lack of desire that has to be rectified first and foremost. Players just don't seem to have any intensity/give a ****. They don't seem to have any incentive which is shocking for players at the top level.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement