Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah maybe, not sure if that says more about CBs in the PL, rather than Smalling himself. Think of the CBs Utd have had over the last 15-20 years, where would Smalling come in that list ? Behind quite a few imo. Plus he's quite injury prone too, no?

Whereever smalling comes on any list - it would be the dumbest more ever to sell him, and anyone who would advocate selling him is a moron.

McNair, Rojo, Jones, Blind - all four of them should/would be sold before Smalling could be even considered for sale. We'd need to buy FOUR defenders better than him to make any sale non-idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yeah maybe, not sure if that says more about CBs in the PL, rather than Smalling himself. Think of the CBs Utd have had over the last 15-20 years, where would Smalling come in that list ? Behind quite a few imo. Plus he's quite injury prone too, no?

37 appearances (club and country) already this season hopefully indicates his injury proneness is coming to an end.

With regards to where he would come on a list of the CBs United have had over the last 20 years, I would say he'd quite high up there.

Whatever way you want to twist it, Smalling is an excellent centre-back and selling him would be a ridiculous move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Smalling has played every game this season barring one or two games. Not injury prone in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Then don't compare him to defenders from 20 years ago, compare him to what is out there today. If you want to get rid of Smalling because he is no Jaap Stam you might be disappointed to find that the next guy you bring in is no Jaap Stam either.

There is a dearth of really good centre backs out there right now, I would be quite content that Smalling is just as good as any of the names touted as possible replacements. As such it would be rather foolish to get rid at this point.

Phil Jones is injured again. What a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I would be happy if we sold Jones in the summer and replace him with someone who isn't getting injured by simply appearing on a pitch. He is a liability, and if we did try and sell him he would probably fail the medical due to being injured while walking to the medical examination room.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I would be happy if we sold Jones in the summer and replace him with someone who isn't getting injured by simply appearing on a pitch. He is a liability, and if we did try and sell him he would probably fail the medical due to being injured while walking to the medical examination room.

I'm the same, I like him and think he's a good player. The injuries are just ridiculous at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

bangkok wrote: »
    Scholes is a United supporter. He was saying exactly the same as we all were on here only he was getting paid to do it on tele

Scholes said stuff about Rooneys form, then said he was world class, he also said in between that the system was making Wayne look poor. Pick one, you can't have them all as all three are contradictory.

A lot of fans still had faith in Rooney and though him our best player so Scholes was definitley not speaking for us.

Scholes annoyed a lot of fans when he started with the punditry because he said a lot of rash things. Being a club legend for UTD doesn't excuse him from saying silly things for BT sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Then don't compare him to defenders from 20 years ago, compare him to what is out there today. If you want to get rid of Smalling because he is no Jaap Stam you might be disappointed to find that the next guy you bring in is no Jaap Stam either.

There is a dearth of really good centre backs out there right now, I would be quite content that Smalling is just as good as any of the names touted as possible replacements. As such it would be rather foolish to get rid at this point.

True, that was my point when he was being touted as one of the best in the PL, personally think the two at Spurs are better. He's stayed fit for this season, so hopefully that remains, but he was quite injury prone up to this season if I'm not mistaken. If he stays, fine, if he leaves and replaced by better, as I said I wouldn't be heartbroken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Apart from maybe Rio no other defender was at smalling level at his age. He is only coming into his prime years now he will be better and better. Smalling has come from behind to be thought of as a future united captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    How could this be true if there were people on here disagreeing with what he said?

who disagreed with what he said at the time?

who disagreed with what he said at the time?

Me for one.

Me for one.

I thought the general consensus was he was correct what he was saying. He never said rooney was finished as people are saying here, he may have said he has already peaked which is a different thing altogether

I thought the general consensus was he was correct what he was saying. He never said rooney was finished as people are saying here, he may have said he has already peaked which is a different thing altogether

There was no consensus on here. And you said that everybody was saying the same as Scholes, that is not true.

And Scholes didn't just say Rooney was past his peak, he said there's a chance that he's warn out. It was nonsense and he backtracked when he was called on it.

There was no consensus on here. And you said that everybody was saying the same as Scholes, that is not true.

And Scholes didn't just say Rooney was past his peak, he said there's a chance that he's warn out. It was nonsense and he backtracked when he was called on it.

I would agree 100% that he is worn out (I presume that's what you mean), he has been playing top level football since he was 16 with little or no break.

• Advertisement

looking back over the last few pages, a few posters have said Scholes said Rooney was finished. He never said that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ship Jones off to China for £30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

looking back over the last few pages, a few posters have said Scholes said Rooney was finished. He never said that

Did you just experience amnesia?

This already happened, the last few pages could tell you that surely!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I would agree 100% that he is worn out (I presume that's what you mean), he has been playing top level football since he was 16 with little or no break.

I don't care what your opinion on Rooney being worn out is. You said that everybody on here was saying exactly the same as Scholes, that is not true.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ship Jones off to China for £30 million.

Jaysus could you imagine Phil Jones in China! :eek:

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

he said there's a chance that he's warn out.

worn out right? Or is my grammar\spelling failing me again?

I ask as it's the second time you've posted spelling it like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

philjoneschina.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

did Scholes say Rooney was world class or was it that "get the ball to your best players" comment, I can't remember but saying he's our one of our best players isn't the same as saying he's world class

Nalz wrote: »
    worn out right? Or is my grammar\spelling failing me again?

I ask as it's the second time you've posted spelling it like that :)

Yes "worn out," I wasn't thinking very clearly. Apologies for having a brainfart.

It would be fitting. He's sort of made out of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Scholes interests me. He was all over LVG, Rooney and the team before Xmas, laying in and not missing a chance to have a moan about them. He was contributing massively to LVG's pressure.

The suddenly, when word came out about "LVG has two games to save his job", Scholes 180'd and suddenly was calling for patience, etc.

The conspiracy nut in me thinks at one stage, he was piling on pressure hopeful Giggs would replace him, and then got word that wasn't happening. I'm even more hopeful that the reports of the "2 games to save his job" stories were true, and it was at that stage we started moving towards other managers, and that when Scholes discovered this, he stopped being so ultra-negative cause he realised if Jose (or Pep) came in, Giggs would likely be outed and his chance of a job would be gone too...

(*Puts on tin foil hat...*)

I honestly think your right the shift in him was bizarre it just changed completely in the space of one game.

To be honest i find scholes a poor pundit he never reallt says anything of worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    What conspiracies or arguments?

That Giggs has undermined the managers he's worked under and is plotting to take their jobs.

Scholes's (any of Giggs's old team-mates) opinions are used to prop up Giggs's chances of managing United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Presser,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbYNmIih55o

"These are the real fans who go watch the second team". :o:confused: why did he come out with that, happens around 5 minute mark is asked about Memphis not starting a game for so long and playing well in the u21's the other night.

20877711-Bangkok-July-13-Phil-Jones-R-of-Man-Utd-in-action-during-Singha-80th-Anniversary-Cup-Manchester-Unit-Stock-Photo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A Leicester win and a draw in the City Spurs game would be great if we can manage a win tomorrow

We aren't going to catch Leicester, they are 12 ahead and in the 5 games after the Arsenal game they picked up all 15 points in the reverse fixtures. If the results go as above we'll be 4 off Arsenal and City and we have to play both

• Advertisement

It would be fitting. He's sort of made out of China.

Made in China!!

Seriously, it's shít, he's got a clear does of the Sturridges. In the time where he should have been developing and honing his game like Smalling, he has been recovering from injury or trying to get back into the team following injury. I had great hope for him, he is a likable character and has shown great passion while wearing the shirt, but a decision is going to have to be made on him in the Summer. I simply don't see him as a future United CB at the moment and haven't for a while, not when he can't get a run of games going without injury, not when his development is being stifled over long spells because of this.

That said, Smalling spent his fair share of time in the injury room up until about 20 months ago, he was able to come on leaps and bounds once he got a run of fitness/games together. Thing is, Jones will be 24 next Sunday and "he is a young player, give him time" is now almost non-applicable to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

stankratz wrote: »
    That said, Smalling spent his fair share of time in the injury room up until about 20 months ago, he was able to come on leaps and bounds once he got a run of fitness/games together. Thing is, Jones will be 24 next Sunday and "he is a young player, give him time" is now almost non-applicable to him.

The flip side of that is, if you'd said the same thing about Smalling at the same age, you might have let him go and missed him blossoming into the Smallinator. :D Smalling is 26 now and only really came good in the last year or so. Seems to happen a fair bit with center backs. Jones injury record is far worse than Smalling's ever was though I would have thought.

The flip side of that is, if you'd said the same thing about Smalling at the same age, you might have let him go and missed him blossoming into the Smallinator. :D Smalling is 26 now and only really came good in the last year or so. Seems to happen a fair bit with center backs. Jones injury record is far worse than Smalling's ever was though I would have thought.

I agree with the non-bolded part of your post, but prefer good old 'Mike' :pac:

As for the bolded part; That's another factor, the amount of injuries are piling up and they have to be taking their toll on Jones' body. I'm not 100%, but I think the latest injury is possibly because of a clash of heads in an U21 game, and therefore he is sidelined with a concussion or as a precaution because of the possibility of one.

He has to find a way to play the game without being so hard on himself. Jones is known for putting himself out of the game more than opposing players doing it to him. At 24, he is wrecking himself. Leaving out his footballing prospects for a moment, continuing on a similar trajectory through-out the rest of his career might have an effect on his quality of life (health-wise) further down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is Thursdays game on any channels other than BT ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Is Thursdays game on any channels other than BT ?

I only see it on BT. Had a search of the Sky planner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think BT are the sole providers of all Europa League coverage in UK/Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

According to The Sun...
    utdreport.com ‏@utdreport 15m15 minutes ago
    #mufc have sacked Paul McGuinness (youth coach) [neil custis]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

TheTownie wrote: »
    According to The Sun...

Ouch, he had a good couple of years before this year

It will be interesting to see who takes over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Its on MUTV now.

Says he is leaving to persue other ambitions in football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

WTF is being on mcguinness was one of the bright spots of the youth set up

On the one hand.... 11 losses. Thats very poor.

On the other hand, he has proven himself a good coach over a number of years and has, as far as I know, been well regarded by those at the club.

Yet another person with experience at youth level gone from the club, in the short term. Again, its another worrying aspect from the club.

Still, if there IS a thorough review and restructuring of youth structures - and this is one part of the changes that are going to be made - it will be interesting to see what these changes are going to be. With question marks already over the youth structures, you'd fecking hope the club has some additions/plans to action very quickly.

On the other hand, he has proven himself a good coach over a number of years and has, as far as I know, been well regarded by those at the club.

Yet another person with experience at youth level gone from the club, in the short term. Again, its another worrying aspect from the club.

Still, if there IS a thorough review and restructuring of youth structures - and this is one part of the changes that are going to be made - it will be interesting to see what these changes are going to be. With question marks already over the youth structures, you'd fecking hope the club has some additions/plans to action very quickly.

It would tie in well with Woodward saying the review was now complete and action was going to begin on the development side.

I am excited to see what they have planned now.

Ed did say yesterday that there were changes coming in the days ahead following a root and branch review of the youth set up.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ed did say yesterday that there were changes coming in the days ahead following a root and branch review of the youth set up.

just seems odd that while the club are also looking for a replacement for McClair (possibly two replacements if rumours are true) a job that has been turned down by the last two people they are known to have approached, that they decide now is a really good time to also be trying to find a replacement U18 manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Julez wrote: »
    philjoneschina.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The lad from Benfica we're linked with Sanches with an assist there, lob over the defense for Mitrogolu to control and slot past Cassilas.

just seems odd that while the club are also looking for a replacement for McClair (possibly two replacements if rumours are true) a job that has been turned down by the last two people they are known to have approached, that they decide now is a really good time to also be trying to find a replacement U18 manager.

What better time the get rid of him and find a replacement then when times are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

user2011 wrote: »
    The lad from Benfica we're linked with Sanches with an assist there, lob over the defense for Mitrogolu to control and slot past Cassilas.

Hard to see him coming to Utd with all the attention on him now. Benfica increased his buyout clause to €80M in the last few days too although the rumour is they would accept a bid above €60M which would set a new Primeira Liga transfer record (Hulk being the current holder).

Chris wheeler saying that nicky butt is gonna take over the U18 that would probably a good move seemed to be pretty on the ball with the underage European team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement