Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Antibac wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Listening now. Is there any general football ones that are as good?

Football Weekly and Second Captains are probably the best. Some like the Football Ramble but I gave up on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Thanks for that. Listening now. Is there any general football ones that are as good?

Check out the Football Ramble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Don't Check out the Football Ramble.

FYP.

Load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    FYP.

Load of crap.

I'm sure he can make up his own mind about that if he checks it out. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Second Captains are probably the best. Some like the Football Ramble but I gave up on it
    I tend to not listen to Second Captains anymore as i find the curly headed guy annoying. It sounds like he hates United the whole time.
    Then on their other podcast he gets shipped off to Vegas to watch UFC fights and lets us all know that he hates it and still gets to go everytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I tend to not listen to Second Captains anymore as i find the curly headed guy annoying. It sounds like he hates United the whole time.
    Then on their other podcast he gets shipped off to Vegas to watch UFC fights and lets us all know that he hates it and still gets to go everytime.

Ken was a United fan growing up afaik. He is harsher towards Liverpool really. I think he's great. Sending him to Vegas is brilliant too as he sees it from a different perspective than if they sent someone over who was going to be jarring with the lads the entire time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hey lads, any of ye travel regularly to home or away games fancy helping me with a college assignment. I havnt been able to travel over in a few years so could do with some fresh insight. PM me if ye have a few mins to spare. Thanks

sure, drop me a PM with what you need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

That will only happen if CL aint confirmed for next season.

This is the problem right here. Learning nothing from the Moyes debacle and bolting the gate once the horse has already ran. If we'd pulled the plug on Stephen's day and got Mourinho right in, we'd probably be only a point off the top 4 at the absolute worst and still in with an outside chance of the title given how tight it is up there. Instead we're ****ed with basically no chance of the top 4.

Woodward out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Maybe we are bribing Bobby. "we will name a stand after you so you don't get so upset if we bring in Jose" :P

That was exactly my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

bangkok wrote: »
    are you arsene wenger? How do you know he is not first choice?

Are you Arsene Wenger? How do you know he is first choice?
    When everyone is fit and available he will start in place of either Walcott, Ox or Campbell who have all played when welbeck was injured

It will be just like last season. He'll get plenty of games; sometimes he'll start ahead of those three, sometimes they'll start ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

LVG is here till end of season, think it's wishful thinking hoping to be gone sooner, sadly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LVG is here till end of season, think it's wishful thinking hoping to be gone sooner, sadly.

The positivity bullet train has me pressing F5 constantly, hoping you're wrong :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    Are you Arsene Wenger? How do you know he is first choice?

It will be just like last season. He'll get plenty of games; sometimes he'll start ahead of those three, sometimes they'll start ahead of him.

well going on last season, Arsenals biggest game of the season was the champions league knock out game v Monaco. That is where you play your first choice team. Welbeck started both games so that should tell you how highly he is rated by Wenger and that he is also first choice

If not longer. Given that Woodward is his staunchest supporter and supposedly talked him out of resigning and the board out of sacking him, i wouldn't be surprised if his leash was considerably longer than Moyes's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The positivity bullet train has me pressing F5 constantly, hoping you're wrong :P

Not even a whisper on twitter :( I hope I'm wrong but it looks like he is going to see out the season

Your not the only one actually..

http://twitter.com/kpsundayworld/status/699193935462273024

spiralism wrote: »
    If not longer. Given that Woodward is his staunchest supporter and supposedly talked him out of resigning and the board out of sacking him, i wouldn't be surprised if his leash was considerably longer than Moyes's.

Unless he wins EL or somehow gets CL football I can't see him staying.

2 months ago, I honestly thought it as best for LVG to stay, till end of season, but now I don't think we have much choice, but look elsewhere, unless something drastic happens

Unless he wins EL or somehow gets CL football I can't see him staying.

2 months ago, I honestly thought it as best for LVG to stay, till end of season, but now I don't think we have much choice, but look elsewhere, unless something drastic happens

if there is a new man coming in the summer they wont want the job now, they will want to start fresh in the summer, sell who they don't want and buy who they want, they cant do that now.

do you sack van gaal and earn a reputation as a sacking club or do you give him until the summer and come to an agreement where he leaves by mutual consent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It hardly even matters at this stage, the damage is done.

A competent manager could have rescued the season if appointed before Christmas, but at this point any new manager would have to really hit the ground running to salvage anything worth talking about. Especially since he will have lost the chance to address the woeful squad options in January.

do you sack van gaal and earn a reputation as a sacking club

No club who sacks an underpreforming manager earns that reputation. If anything, we're earning a reputation of looking like idiots cause we give managers far, far more time than they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

do you sack van gaal and earn a reputation as a sacking club or do you give him until the summer and come to an agreement where he leaves by mutual consent..

Nobody gives a toss about any reputation as a sacking club. Are city a sacking club for getting rid of Mancini and Pellegrini? Did that stop them getting Pep?

Are Chelsea a sacking club? Of course they are. Did that stop them getting the likes of Ancellotti, Mourinho and Benitez? Of course it didn't.

What about Madrid? Have they struggled to get the best managers in the world to come to them despite being the sackiest of sacky clubs?

Getting rid of failures does not make you a sacking club, and even if it did it matters not a jot, it will never stop you getting any new players or managers.

• Advertisement

No club who sacks an underpreforming manager earns that reputation. If anything, we're earning a reputation of looking like idiots cause we give managers far, far more time than they deserve.

Totally agree.

People will make smug remarks but if anybody can name a club who stick with this setup in world I'll shut face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It hardly even matters at this stage, the damage is done.

A competent manager could have rescued the season if appointed before Christmas, but at this point any new manager would have to really hit the ground running to salvage anything worth talking about. Especially since he will have lost the chance to address the woeful squad options in January.

The idea that LVG is somehow not a competent manager is ridiculous. Naive of him to think that he could implement the style that he tried to with the players available maybe, but to call him incompetent is very disrespectful as he has achieved good things everywhere he's been.

Nobody gives a toss about any reputation as a sacking club. Are city a sacking club for getting rid of Mancini and Pellegrini? Did that stop them getting Pep?

Are Chelsea a sacking club? Of course they are. Did that stop them getting the likes of Ancellotti, Mourinho and Benitez? Of course it didn't.

What about Madrid? Have they struggled to get the best managers in the world to come to them despite being the sackiest of sacky clubs?

Getting rid of failures does not make you a sacking club, and even if it did it matters not a jot, it will never stop you getting any new players or managers.

but the board of directors do. We don't want to be like Real Madrid and Chelsea who are both horribly run clubs. They want to make us unique and treat both players and managers with respect neither of which them clubs can ever claim to do

well going on last season, Arsenals biggest game of the season was the champions league knock out game v Monaco. That is where you play your first choice team. Welbeck started both games so that should tell you how highly he is rated by Wenger and that he is also first choice

Important squad players will still get starts in big games, based on tactics and if they are in good form. The difference is that they will also sit out big games because of recent form or particular tactics. This would be in contrast to players like Giroud and Sanchez, for example, who will be first choice over a larger sample than two games.

good point but also what is the point sacking him if the manager they want is not currently available? What if Pochetino is the next manager, or Jose wanted a break of a few months before going back into football?

Don't really give hoots about sacking club crap anymore.

Although yer right, Board do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watching Kante for Leicester yesterday and in other games shows how poorly our midfield is set up.On Saturday,Carrick and Schneiderlin were forever in each others way.2 DM against relegation fodder is overkill.
    Carragher even pointed it out yesterday that Kante is the nearest to Roy Keane he's seen in a long while."None of this DM/AM stuff where you hold a position,Kante was all over the pitch".LVG has our players boxed off into areas of the pitch and God forbid they move out of said area.

Important squad players will still get starts in big games, based on tactics and if they are in good form. The difference is that they will also sit out big games because of recent form or particular tactics. This would be in contrast to players like Giroud and Sanchez, for example, who will be first choice over a larger sample than two games.

so what your trying to say is there is no such thing as a first choice player as all games are different?

so what your trying to say is there is no such thing as a first choice player as all games are different?

Nope. I even gave you an example of two first choice Arsenal players.

• Advertisement

good point but also what is the point sacking him if the manager they want is not currently available? What if Pochetino is the next manager, or Jose wanted a break of a few months before going back into football?

Not disagreeing there. Willing to accept that there could be things going on in the background we don't know about.

Point was to retort your idea we'd be seen as a "sacking club"; no, we won't. Media, fans of other clubs, investors, none of them can quiet believe we've not offed him yet.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/louis-van-gaal-future-epl-weary-words-of-manchester-united-manager-add-to-the-prosecution-case-a6873636.html

It has been over for a while, the drip, drip effect of a football club in demise, the slow lowering of expectations, the blind ignoring of reality. More confirmation came on Saturday afternoon, when the weight of words, this time from Louis van Gaal himself, was added to the welter of statistics the prosecution has piled up against him.

You know it’s over when the manager starts questioning the desire of his own players. Van Gaal did that when he said the 13 times champions of the Premier League could not match the passion and desire of a side who started and ended the day second bottom of that league.

In the more comforting surrounds of the club’s own television station, his guard slipped further. He was worried, he said, when he watched the warm-up. His players did not look up for it.

The last sentence in bold is very telling-the players did not look up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »

Didn't he use that excuse before? It's up to him to then motivate his players if the seem that way. The buck stops with him

Not disagreeing there. Willing to accept that there could be things going on in the background we don't know about.

Point was to retort your idea we'd be seen as a "sacking club"; no, we won't. Media, fans of other clubs, investors, none of them can quiet believe we've not offed him yet.

ok question, You are the CEO of Man Utd, what would you do?

You have made contact with Jose, he said he wont take over until summer. He is the no1 choice and will take the job then though.

do you let van Gaal see out the season and see what happens, sack him and let Giggs do the remainder of the season with Fergie as advisor or do you offer another manager a 5 month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

ok question, You are the CEO of Man Utd, what would you do?

You have made contact with Jose, he said he wont take over until summer. He is the no1 choice and will take the job then though.

do you let van Gaal see out the season and see what happens, sack him and let Giggs do the remainder of the season with Fergie as advisor or do you offer another manager a 5 month contract?

Give the fans what they want and sack van Gaal. Let Giggs take over until the end of the season. It's not like he could make things much worse in the remaining months plus it would give everyone an opportunity to see whether he can cut it as a manager or not. Come summer time then bring in Mourinho with whatever staff he wants, give him what he wants to spend and watch United challenge for (and possibly win due to no CL football) the title next season.

but the board of directors do. We don't want to be like Real Madrid and Chelsea who are both horribly run clubs. They want to make us unique and treat both players and managers with respect neither of which them clubs can ever claim to do

Let's be real here. The board of directors, in particular woodward, don't want to sack managers because

A. It costs them money
    and
    B. It makes them look incompetent as thats twice now they've made the wrong appointment, and publically backed LVG earlier in the season.

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with prestige or wanting to give a particular image and thinking otherwise is naive.

Woodward knows he's tied to LVG in a major way. He's had a questionable record on the football side of things and has been LVGs staunchest supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sunderland.....****ing Sunderland

I just can't get over it.

Id rather be known as a sacking club (which we wont be) than what we are now.

That is a laughing stock, all my mates whenever we meet up thank Van Gaal for being at the club, they all get a great laugh out of the fact that he is still in a job.

His time is up, it hasn't worked out as planned, time to move on, cut our losses and get over it.

Look at other clubs and how many managers they have had and what they have won.

Spurs - Quite a few managers - Won dam all - Sold best players
    Pool - Quite a few managers - Won dam all - Sold best players

Chelsea - Quite a few managers - Won the lot - Held on to best players
    City - Quite a few managers - Won a fair bit. - Held on to best players

Arsenal - One manager - Won dam all (and could end up worse than us when he leaves)

Seems changing managers, investing in the squad and keeping your best players works out quite well.

We are a laughing stock for not being a sacking club,Moyes left in the job too long until CL was unattainable and sh1t on a stick football from LVG when even the worst sides in the league have sussed out how to nullify us.Both should have been sacked sooner.
    If I peformed in my job like LVG is doing as United manager,I'd have been sacked long ago.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sunderland.....****ing Sunderland

I just can't get over it.

I knew it was going to be bad when in the build up to the game some were saying its a good thing Adam Johnson and Kaboul wont be playing!!! like you I was thinking, its ****ing sunderland!!!!!

Moyes had more points after 26 games then LVG in season 2.

That's hard to stomach.

• Advertisement

Assuming that the replacement is not yet available, I think that the arguments for and against sacking LVG are both pretty weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Moyes had more points after 26 games then LVG in season 2.

That's hard to stomach.

And LVG has been given more chances than Moyes it would seem.

I like LVG but the football is dreadful and we're being beaten by poor teams. His time has run out as far as I'm concerned.

Id rather be known as a sacking club (which we wont be) than what we are now.

That is a laughing stock, all my mates whenever we meet up thank Van Gaal for being at the club, they all get a great laugh out of the fact that he is still in a job.

Your mates will always find a reason to slag your club. If you want long term success at United, then what your mates slag your team about should not remotely affect your thinking on what would be the best course of action.

Your mates will always find a reason to slag your club. If you want long term success at United, then what your mates slag your team about should not remotely affect your thinking on what would be the best course of action.

And the best course of action being changing manager, investing in the team and not selling our best players.

Their laughing as it is so clear that he should have been sacked and I agree even though I'm not laughing.

And the best course of action being changing manager, investing in the team and not selling our best players.

If we assume that the replacement(s) we want for LVG are not yet available, what is the argument for sacking him rather than waiting?
    Their laughing as it is so clear that he should have been sacked and I agree even though I'm not laughing.

No, they're laughing because they like to wind you up. That is the nature of football fans and mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If we assume that the replacement(s) we want for LVG are not yet available, what is the argument for sacking him rather than waiting?

And what if it turns out Mourinho is the person that takes over - what is the argument for not sacking LVG and bring Jose in now?

And what if it turns out Mourinho is the person that takes over - what is the argument for not sacking LVG and bring Jose in now?

None imo. That is, if Jose is available right now and he is the first choice to replace LVG then I see no reason why we should delay that happening. But maybe Jose is not available right now, or maybe Jose and the club are in the process of negotiating the contract, or maybe Jose is not the club's first choice.

It should also be noted, that if it turns out that Jose is the person that replaces LVG, that would not prove that he was first choice nor that he had been available to take over now.

Suppose we will see whenever the change is made, if it is anybody who currently is in a job then fair enough and wait but if it is somebody who is available now then shame on the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

None imo. That is, if Jose is available right now and he is the first choice to replace LVG then I see no reason why we should delay that happening. But maybe Jose is not available right now, or maybe Jose and the club are in the process of negotiating the contract, or maybe Jose is not the club's first choice.

It should also be noted, that if it turns out that Jose is the person that replaces LVG, that would not prove that he was first choice nor that he had been available to take over now.

Brendan Rogers said he wasnt looking to get back into football till summer, maybe just maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i would imagine all this uncertainty isnt helping uniteds share prices which is concerning from a business point of view. woodward hasnt come out and backed lvg which makes me think he is walking the plank it is like woodward isnt forcing the issue though.

the most dire football i have seen united play with a team worth a fortune. like i sometimes wonder does van gaal actually watch the football or does he drink coffee and tell the players just keep the ball lads we cant lose if we keep the ball...... oh wait

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement