Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I seem to have a habit of attending games that have some significance that I didn't realise when booking the tickets....

Sir Alex's 25th anniversary in charge and naming of the Sir Alex Ferguson stand......

Moyes first game in charge....

Giggs first game in charge.....

I'm going to the Arsenal game on the 28th. Here's hoping :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Ogden on Ed,
    There is a photograph on Ed Woodward’s desk at Manchester United of the scoreboard in Olympiakos’s Karaiskakis Stadium, moments after David Moyes’ team had fallen two goals behind in a Champions League last 16 first-leg tie in February 2014.

Woodward was also caught on camera as he took the picture on his mobile phone, looking in the opposite direction as Sir Bobby Charlton grimaced and fellow director Michael Edelson held his head in his hands.

It was an awkward image, but United’s executive vice-chairman confessed to grabbing the picture in order to have a permanent reminder of the lowest point of his tenure, something to smile about once the good times began to roll and the faltering steps in the aftermath of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement were nothing but a distant memory.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mark-ogden-ed-woodward-s-three-years-in-charge-have-left-manchester-united-deep-in-the-twilight-zone-a6875551.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I would think there's a change needed in how we play and any prospective manager coming in would be happy with

De Gea
    Darmien, Smalling, AN Other, Shaw
    Depay, Schneiderlin, Herrera, AN Other
    Martial, Rooney

I do think our attacking players are not good enough to play a 433 formation so I'd like to see us revert back to a 442 to give us more protection in midfield. I'd sacrifice Herrera for a world class attacking midfielder. I think Depay will flourish next year under a better manager. 3 players imo is what's needed to turn this muck around plus a manager. Still would prefer Poch to Mourinho to manage at this stage but after Saturdays game I'd have settled for the granny that rooney was sh***ing so maybe desperation is taking over now.

HOW ARE WE STILL DISCUSSING HOW LVG IS STILL IN A JOB. SHOULD HAVE WENT IN DEC. DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE, NO CLAUSE IN A CONTRACT WILL MAKE UP FOR THE FINANCIAL LOSS LACK OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL SO JUST DO IT !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would think there's a change needed in how we play and any prospective manager coming in would be happy with

De Gea
    Darmien, Smalling, AN Other, Shaw
    Depay, Schneiderlin, Herrera, AN Other
    Martial, Rooney

I do think our attacking players are not good enough to play a 433 formation so I'd like to see us revert back to a 442 to give us more protection in midfield. I'd sacrifice Herrera for a world class attacking midfielder. I think Depay will flourish next year under a better manager. 3 players imo is what's needed to turn this muck around plus a manager. Still would prefer Poch to Mourinho to manage at this stage but after Saturdays game I'd have settled for the granny that rooney was sh***ing so maybe desperation is taking over now.

HOW ARE WE STILL DISCUSSING HOW LVG IS STILL IN A JOB. SHOULD HAVE WENT IN DEC. DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE, NO CLAUSE IN A CONTRACT WILL MAKE UP FOR THE FINANCIAL LOSS LACK OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL SO JUST DO IT !!

Wouldn't have Depay near the first team. Needs a big kick in the arse to realise his potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

billyhead wrote: »
    Wouldn't have Depay near the first team. Needs a big kick in the arse to realise his potential

Needs a big kick out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

J. Marston wrote: »

Ah come on now. You cant say that after one season. He's barely been in England and is only 22 yrs old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah stop.

Christ if that was the case De Gea be well gone, just one example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'll reserve judgement on pretty much every player we have until we see them under the next manager. It can't be a coincidence that almost every single player has either regressed or stagnated in the past 2 years, with that external factor there it would be difficult to single anybody out and say this is all that they can give.

The likes of Schneiderlin, Herrera and Darmian can give a lot more than this if managed correctly, and for now I'll give Depay the benefit of the doubt that he can too.

Ah stop.

Christ if that was the case De Gea be well gone, just one example.

Huh?

Despite what some critics said at the time, De Gea was never anything but excellent for us. Even at his worst, even with one or two mistakes being made he was still performing to a high standard. He can't really be compared to Depay at all.

• Advertisement

Huh?

Despite what some critics said at the time, De Gea was never anything but excellent for us. Even at his worst, even with one or two mistakes being made he was still performing to a high standard. He can't really be compared to Depay at all.

Do you remember all the back pages laughing at him after him making mistake after mistake.

We gave him a chance, we should do same for Depay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do you remember all the back pages laughing at him after him making mistake after mistake.

Journalists are idiots why are you using them to back up a point.

I remember De Gea making great saves and anytime he made an error the press talking about it while ignoring Hart who was making far more errors.

Nuts102 wrote: »

I remember De Gea making great saves and anytime he made an error the press talking about it while ignoring Hart who was making far more errors.

Well sure we're all idiots to some degree.

All I'm saying is that Depay deserves a chance. Not many bright lights this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Nuts102 wrote: »

It was down to the transfer fee.

Typical gutter press shyte, just waiting to put the boot in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Guardian reporting that Nicky Butt will become the Head of the Youth Acaedmy fair soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Guardian reporting that Nicky Butt will become the Head of the Youth Acaedmy fair soon.

An odd one. A year long review ends with us picking the fella we had as U19manager - a side that plays like 6 gmes a season.

Still, Fergie speaks very highly of him.

Wonder if he will be the only appointment to the role - there was talk of United looking for two people to take over the various roles McClair had.

TheTownie wrote: »
    I wonder what picture he has there now? so many to choose from.

United 0 Mk Dons 4???

Even though it was a good few kids, iirc? Still a seriously crap result. Trying my best to forget the crap and remember the good under LvG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Some players take time to settle so maybe Depay is one of them. Lamela for spurs being an example I suppose. Think there is a good player there somewhere but LVG cannot find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Headshot wrote: »
    Ah come on now. You cant say that after one season. He's barely been in England and is only 22 yrs old

He definitely deserves more time. But he needs to start playing like a footballer and not behaving like a superstar off the field. Jack Grealish was dropped for the going to London partying after they lost a game this season - Depay did the same on Saturday. He, like everyone, should have been told to get their heads down and sort themselves out for the next game.

• Advertisement

Sure, I remember some people trying to spin a narrative about this gangly kid who couldn't survive a high ball, and it was a load of tosh. And "mistake after mistake" makes it sound like he was a constant liability for us and it simply isn't true, he made some mistakes, sure, but in the main he played well.

I have no problem giving Depay a chance, thats not my point, simply that the Depay and De Gea scenarios aren't really the same because De Gea never actually played that badly, whereas Depay has been muck.

He definitely deserves more time. But he needs to start playing like a footballer and not behaving like a superstar off the field. Jack Grealish was dropped for the going to London partying after they lost a game this season - Depay did the same on Saturday. He, like everyone, should have been told to get their heads down and sort themselves out for the next game.

LvG probably gave him time off, he could've been tired seems to be the thing you do, go to London and let the hair down to recharge the batteries. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Memphis situation is strange given that LvG knows him so well. Maybe that's the problem & a new manager might get more out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I still can't get over the Chelsea game and that pass, Depay needs to get it together next season he has been given a free pass this season really

I haven't warmed to him at all, I think the number 7 jersey needs to be earned the next time it's vacant

Sure, I remember some people trying to spin a narrative about this gangly kid who couldn't survive a high ball, and it was a load of tosh. And "mistake after mistake" makes it sound like he was a constant liability for us and it simply isn't true, he made some mistakes, sure, but in the main he played well.

I have no problem giving Depay a chance, thats not my point, simply that the Depay and De Gea scenarios aren't really the same because De Gea never actually played that badly, whereas Depay has been muck.

He was cause of defeats, he did play badly, that's just not true saying he did not play badly.

But people saw his potiential, people saw he was only a kid, people saw he was going to make mistakes and that if he learned and improved he become a top keeper, which he has. Same will happen to Depay if he given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

He was cause of defeats, he did play badly, that's just not true saying he did not play badly.

But people saw his potiential, people saw he was only a kid, people saw he was going to make mistakes and that if he learned and improved he become a top keeper, which he has. Same will happen to Depay if he given time.
    I've never once seen De Gea look disengaged and disinterested like Depay has been at times. De Gea seemed altogether more mature and determined to improve as a kid than Depay does now. Depay deserves time, but only if he shows the desire to make use of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

user2011 wrote: »
    LvG probably gave him time off, he could've been tired seems to be the thing you do, go to London and let the hair down to recharge the batteries. :p

Probably, he's been running himself into the ground lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

I agree De Gea made mistakes which were costly of course being a GK but we definitely cannot say the same will happen to Depay as did with DDG..

DDG looked to have the will and desire and attitude to improve, become the best, he did improve as the season went on too..

Depay does not have the same desire or attitude imo, at this time, which I hope will swiftly change as there is definitely a big talent in there, but a lot needs to change in himself for him to start realising it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I still can't get over the Chelsea game and that pass, Depay needs to get it together next season he has been given a free pass this season really

I haven't warmed to him at all, I think the number 7 jersey needs to be earned the next time it's vacant

too much is made of that pass to be honest, . If you want to take a look at Memphis its his lack of work rate or interest in tracking back and his application in the tackle. When it goes tits up he really looks like he could not give a ****. A total liability at present. He has a great opportunity at this club to become something great as I believe the raw talent is there in my own humble opinion from what I have seen, but I wouldn't trust him not to cost us on the field at the minute unless he was played up top on his own and without the responsibility of defending his own box from time to time.... he strikes me as a young arrogant immature prick who really needs to get it together... If he put the same effort on the pitch as he does on his social media when it comes to selfies and bigging himself up etc.. ok its all about 'brand' but some use that will be when he is shipped off to Crystal Palace....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Nicky Butt appointed academy boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

• Advertisement

On what grounds is it a good call?

I'm not saying it isn't - but at the same time it raises questions, imo.

After a supposed year long review of the youth academy United have decided it is best that one of the pivotal roles goes to a person with zero experience in such a position. Is Nicky Butt really the best candidate they could find, or have they simply settled for him? On what grounds has it been decided that Nicky Butt is the right man to drive the change that is needed at youth level? Do the people who made this decision understand what needs to be done?

It could turn out that Nicky Butt is brilliant at the role, but I can't help but feel we have basically done what people argue the club should not do with the first team. Handing the role to an ex-player who has a good rep at the club (Giggs and first team manager).

There is currently little evidence to suggest Butt is a good call - he could turn out to be but we have given a very important role to a person whose experience of developing young players is limited to assistant manager of youth sides (occasionally) and management of the U19 side (occasionally).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

• ^ :D:D:D:D

This thread could do with more of this cheer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

On what grounds is it a good call?

I'm not saying it isn't - but at the same time it raises questions, imo.

After a supposed year long review of the youth academy United have decided it is best that one of the pivotal roles goes to a person with zero experience in such a position. Is Nicky Butt really the best candidate they could find, or have they simply settled for him? On what grounds has it been decided that Nicky Butt is the right man to drive the change that is needed at youth level? Do the people who made this decision understand what needs to be done?

It could turn out that Nicky Butt is brilliant at the role, but I can't help but feel we have basically done what people argue the club should not do with the first team. Handing the role to an ex-player who has a good rep at the club (Giggs and first team manager).

There is currently little evidence to suggest Butt is a good call - he could turn out to be but we have given a very important role to a person whose experience of developing young players is limited to assistant manager of youth sides (occasionally) and management of the U19 side (occasionally).

Well I would (like to) think he learned something from being Joyce's assistant and from McClair before he left. Also he obviously would know the running of things as he came through the academy. I assume the club thought about it and deemed him to be the best man for the job, as you have said and I agree that remains to be seen.

Hopefully it was a decision the club made with their heads and best judgement. Surely if they are restructuring or whatever they have put a lot of thought into the decision going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ^ :D:D:D:D

This thread could do with more of this cheer

I like your style sir...

th?&id=OIP.M9ad2d0ce66c9c03acc73a687f908e116H0&w=299&h=199&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Well I would (like to) think he learned something from being Joyce's assistant and from McClair before he left. Also he obviously would know the running of things as he came through the academy. I assume the club thought about it and deemed him to be the best man for the job, as you have said and I agree that remains to be seen.

Hopefully it was a decision the club made with their heads and best judgement. Surely if they are restructuring or whatever they have put a lot of thought into the decision going forward.

It's a valid point though, the reasons for and against Butt getting the job are exactly the same as regarding Giggs getting the first team job. As an indication of how the board thinks this might be very worrying.

This club keeps creeping down that "Liverpool" path, and always turning back to the well of old boys and club legends is remarkably similar to the old "bootroom" mentality that held Liverpool back for so long.

Is Butt the very best person for that role or was he an easy option? Is he there on merit or was it a case that the board didn't know who to get so went with what they did know? I don't know the answer, but I do wonder why it took a full year to appoint Nicky Butt to that role, only a few days after promising the shareholders that big moves were afoot... I wonder how many people were interviewed for the position?

I wonder how many people were interviewed for the position?

Seemingly Chris Casper, Michael Appleton and the head of the Spurs Academy were all considered. Appleton and the Spurs fella rejected it. Don't know if Casper rejected it or just wasn't hired. Also talk Butt was offered it a while ago but rejected it.

Could be that the appointment of Butt is not entirely related to the year long review of the structures - in that if he was offered the job previously then maybe the club wanted him in place (or someone in the position Butt is now in) with other changes still being made around that.

Obviously I wish Butt well, but I do think the appointment raises questions (that we can't answer) and no matter who was appointed, a lot of work is still required. I know people in the game speak very highly of Butt, so it would appear he is not an idiot - he will likely see the failings of the system - so I hope he is giving the backing to drive change.

Could be that the appointment of Butt is not entirely related to the year long review of the structures

I also have an issue with things like this, it does not take a full year to "review" our youth structures. Companies with divisions of thousands of staff can carry out full internal reviews in less time than that.

The official website doesn't list any of the youth coaches or scouts, how many staff are we talking here? A dozen? 2 dozen? If it takes you a full year to do a review of a department that size then it wasn't a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I'll probably get a card for this but I'm more of a lurker anyway nowadays. There is a very obvious bridge resident here, some of the heads here should do their duty and put a stop to the really obvious muck.

I also have an issue with things like this, it does not take a full year to "review" our youth structures. Companies with divisions of thousands of staff can carry out full internal reviews in less time than that.

The official website doesn't list any of the youth coaches or scouts, how many staff are we talking here? A dozen? 2 dozen? If it takes you a full year to do a review of a department that size then it wasn't a priority.

Well yeah, there is that. the club claim a year, but it is very possible that the process has only become a priority of sorts due to the media attention in the last couple of months on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Nicky Butt is an excellent choice to run the academy. Who better to do the role than an actual player that has come through the academy and knows exactly what it takes to break into the United first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

bangkok wrote: »
    Nicky Butt is an excellent choice to run the academy. Who better to do the role than an actual player that has come through the academy and knows exactly what it takes to break into the United first team.

Someone we know can coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

bangkok wrote: »

So by that logic would Wes Brown be a good choice? Not all pupils make good teachers.

We all hope he does but I would question the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Some people are going to criticize no matter what is done at the moment
    Fair play to Mitch who reason out his disapproval but said he could and hopes to be proven wrong
    I'm not saying this is a great appointment but who do people want in the role?? The guys behind the academy previously like Eric Harrisson, Jimmy Ryan, Paul McGuinness did sterling work and weren't known players but worked their ways up through the youth system. Butt-y has been involved for the last 18 months or so doing likewise so he could well be the best guy for the job..

There's just no pleasing some people at the moment unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Terrible trend putting ex players in high level coaching positions that they are unqualified to have. Let them earn their stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

The Butt appointment just shows how much crap is being spouted in the papers and how little is actually known about what is going on at OT.

According to everyone and their wife in the press Woodward is trying to lessen the influence of the "Class of '92" and therefore completely against the idea of Giggs taking over from VG.

Then Woodward goes and appoints Butt as academy director.

The whole saga is, as buckety says, starting to smell more and more of Liverpool and their boot room crap that got them into so much trouble.

Giggs to be the next announcement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So by that logic would Wes Brown be a good choice? Not all pupils make good teachers.

We all hope he does but I would question the process.

eh no, maybe you didn't realise that Wes Brown is still playing football and is contracted to Sunderland.

Nicky Butt has got his coaching badges, has experience coaching the U19, knows what it takes to play at the highest level, was spoken very highly by Fergie to go into coaching and at Newcastle Chris Houghton said he is ideal to go into coaching. What more do people want??

Tbf Butt has his badges. He seems like grounded lad, who won't be big headed, but also a Club Legend.

He has to start somewhere and I think Youths is good start

I welcome the appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its always gotta be the negative slant right, always.

Butt is an odd choice on paper alright, but he is thought very highly of in the game of football (in relation to his intelligence and knowledge, a natural coach), he knows the club inside out and he has a ****ing passion for it.

La Masia director since 2002 is a former hockey goalkeeper with to my knowledge, zero football experience whatsoever. He seems to be doing an alright job so maybe not having the most obvious resume to the public in general doesn't mean you are a silver medal appointment, or a "boot room" imitation job.

Of course it is not going to mean Butt is guaranteed to be a huge success, it is merely one example, since it is the most heralded youth academy in the world currently, that suggests other qualities are perhaps more vital then an extensive amount of coaching experience or indeed, footballing experience.

Tell ya one thing though, the appointment by Woodward, of Butt, to a prominent position at the club must be mind bending for those who like the soap opera theory of a power struggle between the Sith Lord Woodward and the Jedi Knights Fergie/Giggs, Class of 92!! Shakes that theory to the very core I would think.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Tbf Butt has his badges. He seems like grounded lad, who won't be big headed, but also a Club Legend.

He has to start somewhere and I think Youths is good start

I welcome the appointment.

I echo the baove as well, from what I have read he is a very talented coach.

He badly injured himself in a charity game over last few months, tearing his achilles which may have delayed the appointment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement