Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

he was also managing a player that was 26 at Bayern and at the peak of his powers.

that was also the game the van gaal decided it was wise to bring on Nick Powell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's rebuilt them again and they brilliant again.
    They are three points off the top in La Liga!?
    What about the Cup & CL performances?
    He nearly won them the Champions League

You're really not giving him much credit tbf

I'll give him credit, he has done a fantastic job at Athletico and deserves every plaudit for that.

I do think it is hard to know at this point if he can replicate that success elsewhere. Managers often find a club that fits them, and at that club they can get everything working the way they want to great effect. But its not a given that those methods work at the next club, different structures, different board, different players, its not unknown for a successful manager to struggle at a new club. Villas Boas might be the prime example here, his fantastic early success didn't help him one bit at Chelsea or Spurs.

Would Simone be able to replicate that fanatical hunger and workrate from the players at Chelsea? I'm not so sure. He has certainly earned the right to have a shot at it, but I find it best these days to reserve judgement on any flavour of the month, be it a player or a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Fair enough. I still don't see a problem. Player plays poor, manager tells him as much.

These club assigned player of the month awards are not a good reflection on form anyway. A club in dire straits with a whole squad under preforming will still have to nominate a POTM. Its a PR exercise.

Basti has been very underwhelming overall at UTD, he's had a few solid games but he hasn't added a creative spark to our midfield. Carrick is still the best MF player at our club whcih goes to show LVG's faillings in the transfer market. We still need two MF players imo.

• bangkok wrote: »
    don't get me wrong I think he has done a fantastic job with them, unbelievable job, but I think his style and personality is suited to them and I think he might struggle in the premier league, but again only time will tell

His style is perfectly suited to the PL IMO.

It's the complete opposite of what Barca & Madrid do.
    So strong in defense
    They have only conceded 11 goals this season.

In attack when they get there chances they press high and attack on the counter.

Sounds alot like Jose only I think he manages his players much better.

And he knows how to get the best out of Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll be surprised if Simeone doesn't win a league title with Chelsea if he takes over. His style isn't overly different from the templates Chelsea have had before, and I believe it's a system historically has shown can win the league.

Pretty much as Mick said.

Although anyone with issues of style of play, and has some grandure ideas about the United Way, Simeone wouldn't be a good appointment for you.

His style is perfectly suited to the PL IMO.

It's the complete opposite of what Barca & Madrid do.
    So strong in defense
    They have only conceded 11 goals this season.

In attack when they get there chances they press high and attack on the counter.

Sounds alot like Jose only I think he manages his players much better.

And he knows how to get the best out of Costa

I actually don't think costa will be there next season, if anything I wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Athletico as Greizmann will leave this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Big rumors circulating Simeone to Chelsea next year. Gutted if true

Him or Ancellotti are my preferred choice @ Utd

Ancelotti is obviously not an option, and Simeone is not someone I would particularly like at the club either, someone like Conte maybe? A little under the radar for whatever reason but rumours he might be open to a move to the Prem.

He is most known for his 352 that dominated Italy, but he has also used a 442 in the past, well a very offensive one, a 424 really during his time at Bari. Still a young coach with plenty of experience and a winner.

He likes a variety of formations, but one thing is constant, he does not like to employ just one striker!

Edit: Should also say for balance that him being involved at Euro 2016 is obviously not the ideal situation, again.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Do you think United would be still in the title race if you had ditched LVG before Christmas and got Mourihno in immediately?

ronjo wrote: »
    Do you think United would be still in the title race if you had ditched LVG before Christmas and got Mourihno in immediately?

SNN3044GXA-280_1430054a.jpg

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    SNN3044GXA-280_1430054a.jpg

Well seing the stuff you normally write here I do realise that sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not sure, but i'd be more confident of getting 4th.

I reckon if Mourinho had come in during December, as he should have done imo, we'd probably have got a couple of players in during January too - and I think the motivation of a new manager would have helped us on to some better results.

With regards to the signings, I believe LVG nixed a couple of deals that were in the offing - rather than Woodward/United not wanting to back him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Too honest? The player was not preforming well and was told as much by his manager. That's being perfectly reasonably honest. Saying he said as much to the media isn't an issue either, we all know a manager would tell a player as much anyway, its not exactly shock news.

Good point. But it doesn't need it to be shock news to be talked about. We all know Rooney has been poor the start of the season, has he come out and says as much? And if so whats the point? Unnecssary focus imho.

Out of interest actually has he criticised Rooney, Darmian, Fellaini, Schneiderlin etc for poor peformances and form?

I feel he can be more honest about other things tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No. They would likely be a little further up the table but not top 4 for certain and certainly not title contenders. The problems with the squad will take a few windows to solve and Its not like Mourinho could wave a magic wand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

vK9t3.jpg

do you think Arsenal would have won a league over the past 10 years if wenger was no longer there? ;)

• Advertisement

do you think Arsenal would have won a league over the past 10 years if wenger was no longer there? ;)

If we had someone like Ancellotti who spent like the other rich clubs in England then yes....... But if not, then probably no

• I'll give him credit, he has done a fantastic job at Athletico and deserves every plaudit for that.

I do think it is hard to know at this point if he can replicate that success elsewhere. Managers often find a club that fits them, and at that club they can get everything working the way they want to great effect. But its not a given that those methods work at the next club, different structures, different board, different players, its not unknown for a successful manager to struggle at a new club. Villas Boas might be the prime example here, his fantastic early success didn't help him one bit at Chelsea or Spurs.

Would Simone be able to replicate that fanatical hunger and workrate from the players at Chelsea? I'm not so sure. He has certainly earned the right to have a shot at it, but I find it best these days to reserve judgement on any flavour of the month, be it a player or a manager.

That's one long month

If we had someone like Ancellotti who spent like the other rich clubs in England then yes....... But if not, then probably no

do ye not have cash reserves of £200m sitting in the bank that ye could have signed a lot of players in the summer but wenger refused to do so?

Yes ye do

do ye not have cash reserves of £200m sitting in the bank that ye could have signed a lot of players in the summer but wenger refused to do so?

Yes ye do

Yes Arsenal do. That was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

That's one long month

3 years of success != 1 month.

• Advertisement

• 3 years of success != 1 month.

Pep's 6-7 years in management must mean 2 months flavour going on that calulcation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Give him credit sir he got you good very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Kirby wrote: »
    No. They would likely be a little further up the table but not top 4 for certain and certainly not title contenders. The problems with the squad will take a few windows to solve and Its not like Mourinho could wave a magic wand.

As it is United are only 6 points behind City who are still in with a shout for the title. Had Mourinho come in I doubt United would have dropped as many points as they did against Newcastle, Southampton, Sunderland and Chelsea since the turn of the year. I think that United would be ahead of City right now if Mourinho was brought in at Christmas and with 36 points sill to play for, in the running for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That's one long month

Its shorthand, but then you already know that. I suspect people know quite well what was meant so if you want to run off and play games with each top managers length of service then have at it, I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

J. Marston wrote: »

Those bullet points are a rant and a half! Such anger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Looking forward to the inevitable whinge about losing Di Maria tonight.

The Welbeck one from over the weekend will be hard to top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

A meaningless mercenary. I have more respect for Falcao. Barely.
    stankratz wrote: »
    The Welbeck one from over the weekend will be hard to top.
    And rightly so. Welbeck is a player Utd should be looking to sign.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-done-10901268

'Arry saying he knows a guy who knows a guy who says Jose is a done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »

same story as a week or so back - the done deal talk came from 'Arry - who was wrong.

Reports United have hired a new scout, from Ajax, for the academy. Interesting news. I wonder if it is a senior role in terms of leading the scouting network, or just an addition to an apparently small group of scouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/699651992088662017

Must be pretty good if he's had 18 years at Ajax

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/699651992088662017

Must be pretty good if he's had 18 years at Ajax

Obviously lvg is still having a big input behind the scenes also.

world class player and he was managed awfully no matter what way you look at it.

looking forward to watching Verratti tonight, just hope he is 100% fit.

world class player and he was managed awfully no matter what way you look at it.

When you down tools its pretty hard to get anything from a player, look at the disgrace that is Costa for Chelsea, night and day performances from him when he decided he couldn't be bothered.

To absolve him of all blame, is as foolish as blaming him for everything.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

When you down tools its pretty hard to get anything from a player, look at the disgrace that is Costa for Chelsea, night and day performances from him when he decided he couldn't be bothered.

To absolve him of all blame, is as foolish as blaming him for everything.

no he needs to take some blame for himself obviously but i still believe he was managed badly.

no he needs to take some blame for himself obviously but i still believe he was managed badly.

That's fair.

Chelsea are bad but psg look a top side.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Chelsea are bad but psg look a top side.

76c9687e795be6f9868c5ac1c36346f8.png

Ibra is just so good to watch. Waste from our buddy in the end

I love Zlatan.

zlatan5_3382496b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

2971225e79436aab51d9eb2ff5059a45f9b99ccb136dceff618bd953f11078d6.jpg

I love Zlatan.

Lovely assist there for the Chelsea goal! :D

astradave wrote: »
    Lovely assist there for the Chelsea goal! :D

Nothing that man cannot do!

Seriously ****e defending from that corner though, comically bad, I think its Marquinhos then in the end has gone away from Mikel to leave him free and tries hilariously to extend his neck to get a header on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Is Paul Parker still on Man Utd's payroll (MUTV) ? If so, this is a staggering opinion :

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10170006/man-utd-should-replace-louis-van-gaal-with-tim-sherwood-says-paul-parker

Ah twas Costa got the touch, no assist for Zlatan :(

Nothing that man cannot do!

Seriously ****e defending from that corner though, comically bad, I think its Marquinhos then in the end has gone away from Mikel to leave him free and tries hilariously to extend his neck to get a header on it :)

Yeah looks like he didn't anticipate either of the 2 in front of him to get it then the touch of Ibra took him out of the game completely, nice tidy finish from Mikel tbf.

Oh and that save from Trapp :eek:

344tcmo.gif

Trapps save for anyone who missed it

https://streamable.com/3yn2

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement