Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Here is the official squad flying out...

De Gea, Romero, Love, McNair, Smalling, Blind, Poole, Riley, Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Lingard, Pereira, Weir, Mata, Memphis, Martial, Keane.

As per the official website.

No CBJ either.

serious lack of talent in that squad, hard to imagine that van Gaal has spent 250m and that is our squad, minus a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Man United, taking the EL seriously with one senior striker, of 20 years old.

The one senior striker, of 20 years old, just happens to be our best attacking player by a country mile.

We have two strikers and one of them is very likely to be injured or ill if he hasn't traveled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

At his age, he would be on a one year rolling contract, I would imagine...

No. United don't do rolling contracts as far as I know - never seen one apart from Fergie.

The do 1 or 2 year contracts based on age but they aren't rolling.

He is out of contract at the end of the season, unless United sign him up to a new deal.

v3ttel wrote: »
    The one senior striker, of 20 years old, just happens to be our best attacking player by a country mile.

We have two strikers and one of them is very likely to be injured or ill if he hasn't traveled.

Oh, we have two strikers? Good thing LVG has put together a squad to cope with injury and poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bangkok wrote: »
    serious lack of talent in that squad, hard to imagine that van Gaal has spent 250m and that is our squad, minus a few

The defensive options are shocking really.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

Its laughable, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rooney hasn't travelled for the game. I can see it being a very young team.

Keane, Riley, Poole, Love and Weir all travelled.

Edit: Bit late with this.

Man United, taking the EL seriously with one senior striker, of 20 years old.

Dont forget the 23 year old Will Keane.

Id say it will be something like

Lingard/Mata - Pereira - Depay
    Martial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If our first team minus one or two players can't beat them well there is no hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

jayo26 wrote: »
    If our first team minus one or two players can't beat them well there is no hope.

Wouldn't surprise me though. full strength team got beaten by Sunderland last weekend. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At least the defensive line is plagued with injuries. Our front line is only missing Rooney and Januzaj :/

Our front line is only missing Rooney and Januzaj :/

and Welbeck:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    and Welbeck:pac:

dImyJ.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hard to think van gaal has spent 250 odd million and the team looks absolutely ****e week in week out

He has a lot to answer for

Hard to think van gaal has spent 250 odd million and the team looks absolutely ****e week in week out

He has a lot to answer for

I'd prefer him to stay silent on it, after being sacked.

The state of the United squad is inexcusable given the money he has spent and the authority he has had.

Make no mistake, this is his United squad. This is the squad he wanted/created and his inability to get them playing football should have cost him his job 2 months ago.

Woodward, at this stage, has as much to answer for. LVG is his problem to fix and he just sits on his hands (while City appoint the best manager in football).

Also - would have much prefered to see Fosu-Mensah or Williams in the squad instead of Poole - both far better players. Roole was ran around vs City U21s last game (though playing DM). He is hardly ready for U21 football, never mind senior football. Williams and Fosu-Mensah are already putting in dominating performances at U21.

I think we are playing City at U18 level today and have U21 and U18 games on Saturday too - but if Poole can be taken out of those squads, why not Fosu-Mensah or Williams. Swapping Poole for either player would be better for United and for the players too, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Should of been gone after home game against PSV and definitely after the last group against Wolfsburg.

attacking options are just as bad apart from Martial and the way we are playing him he will be burnt out soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'd prefer him to stay silent on it, after being sacked.

The state of the United squad is inexcusable given the money he has spent and the authority he has had.

Make no mistake, this is his United squad. This is the squad he wanted/created and his inability to get them playing football should have cost him his job 2 months ago.

Woodward, at this stage, has as much to answer for. LVG is his problem to fix and he just sits on his hands (while City appoint the best manager in football).
    agree with everything you said but im calling one thing here pep isnt the best in the world and he will be found out at city... i give him 18 months before he gets the sack there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

agree with everything you said but im calling one thing here pep isnt the best in the world and he will be found out at city... i give him 18 months before he gets the sack there

Interesting call dark Knight
    I think you could be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Its very difficult to find positive's in the Van Gael reign.

Besides the signing of Martial there really are very few tangible improvements.

Young players have not developed better than Moyes and certainly nowhere near as well as Fergie.

His "clear-out" has been a negative no matter what way people try to swing it.

So after 18 months what has he achieved ?

beno619 wrote: »
    Its very difficult to find positive's the Van Gael reign.

Young players have not developed better than Moyes and certainly nowhere near as well as Fergie.

he planted trees at the training ground to help stop the wind blowing across the training pitches :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also - would have much prefered to see Fosu-Mensah or Williams in the squad instead of Poole - both far better players. Roole was ran around vs City U21s last game (though playing DM). He is hardly ready for U21 football, never mind senior football. Williams and Fosu-Mensah are already putting in dominating performances at U21.

I think we are playing City at U18 level today and have U21 and U18 games on Saturday too - but if Poole can be taken out of those squads, why not Fosu-Mensah or Williams. Swapping Poole for either player would be better for United and for the players too, imo.

There is no hurry to promote. This is the first time Fosu Mensah and Williams played for U21 whereas Poole has already played league games at league 2 level. So maybe he is physically ready to handle top level games?

From what I read, Poole is a serious talent too and was one of the better players against City. He was waiting for clearance to play for ManUtd and at that time he was training with senior team.

For all the moaning about our academy, we are top of the U21 league with game in hand.

Also average age of the squad that played last game was just 18.6 years. That's as good as being eligible for U18 but playing against U21.

Our defence was Fosu Mensah, Williams, Poole, Riley. 3 out of 4 defenders are eligible for U18 team.

Only positive thing about this season is our youngsters getting so many chances. Media can go about the shiny new toys and grounds for youth players but if they don't get chances for first team then it's all just waste of money and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

beno619 wrote:
    Its very difficult to find positive's the Van Gael reign.

Daley has been a good signing
    Mo will be too
    Martial and Memphis young players who,'lol only improve
    That's not bad

Its very difficult to find positive's in the Van Gael reign.

I want him gone too but that's stretching it a bit. There are few positives from his reign.

He did promote many young players, most recently CBJ who looked good enough to play at top level.

For me his trust of young players is big positive in his reign and apart from that can't think of any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

You cant call it trusting in youths if they're the only players he has available to him.

brinty wrote: »
    Daley has been a good signing
    Mo will be too
    Martial and Memphis young players who,'lol only improve
    That's not bad

I dont disagree but the club has always looked to buy young players with potential.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I want him gone too but that's stretching it a bit. There are few positives from his reign.

He did promote many young players, most recently CBJ who looked good enough to play at top level.

For me his trust of young players is big positive in his reign and apart from that can't think of any.

CBJ hadnt been earmarked or mentioned by LVG as an LB option ahead of the season beginning.

Much like Blackett & McNair last season he was thrown in because of injury/poor squad planning.

He hasn't shown Perriera, Adnan, Wilson or Verela much faith until he was forced to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You cant call it trusting in youths if they're the only players he has available to him.

I'd hazard a guess that Fergie would have put Carrick at CB and moved Blind out to the LB before starting CBJ.
    They more than likely wouldn't have got game time without the injuries but he has shown a fair bit of trust in them too.

• Advertisement

Are our u18s playing city now?.

Its on MUTV now but it dosnt say live in the TV guide but it does on the screen in the top right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Whether by accident or design that can't be levelled at LVG. We've seen CBJ and Lingard develop into decent squad players and others like McNair, Varela and Perreira (to a much lesser extent) get their chance.

A lot of credit must go to Warren Joyce and his team of course for making these players look as comfortable as they have done when they've come in. But to say Moyes did more than him in that regard is nonsense. LVG's system is setup to make things as easy as possible for a younger player (especially defenders) in that the tactics are very simple. Unfortunately that's no good when the rest of the players want to do more than just be static and pass the ball around the back line.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Are our u18s playing city now?.

Its on MUTV now but it dosnt say live in the TV guide but it does on the screen in the top right.

1pm KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

Perriera's a strange one, he doesn't get much of a sniff. I haven't watched a lot of him but he must be knockin at the door if he's continuously in the match-day squads.

You can't call it trusting in youths at all, its a complete myth.

Ask Januzaj and Wilson what his youth development is like, ask Varela what its like sitting behind Ashley Young, ask Powell what its like getting thrown in for a game and then shunted out again, ask Periera what the bench is like, ask Depay how he is developing right now...

Borthwick Jackson gets games because everybody is injured, and Anthony Martial is a £36 million french international, not some kid promoted from the reserves. Who does that leave? Lingard? Sure, he has played him alright, he is also 23 and no longer a kid. And 20 year old Paddy McNair looked worse each of the 7 times he got on the field this season.

Van Gaals development of the youth players doesn't stand up to any scrutiny at all, yet you are going to hear plenty of people calling it a positive of his reign. Makes no sense to me.

Am I right in thinking that the Europa League is only on BT Sports and Setanta and not any of the terrestrial channels (ITV,CH5,TV3,3E) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Squad selection doesn't surprise me. Two legged affair with the second leg at home. To a VASTLY inferior team.

This should be a comfortable entry into the last 16, so it's fine by me resting some players.

Failure to get through this tie would be immediate dismissal. But I really can't even comprehend our squad not going through this comfortably.

Talksport saying that Simeone has told his players that he is leaving at the end of the season! Most likely going to Chelsea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

What's the summary of Martial so far? I haven't been getting to see full games a lot this season. Is he our only shining light? I've heard he's inconsistent but what I've seen he looks lively.

They are the only players available by plan. Squad was trimmed for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TheDoc wrote: »
    Squad selection doesn't surprise me. Two legged affair with the second leg at home. To a VASTLY inferior team.

This should be a comfortable entry into the last 16, so it's fine by me resting some players.

Failure to get through this tie would be immediate dismissal. But I really can't even comprehend our squad not going through this comfortably.

Ya the squad selection does not surprise me, although I can't see us doing a Bronby on it either

• Advertisement

You can't call it trusting in youths at all, its a complete myth.

Ask Januzaj and Wilson what his youth development is like, ask Varela what its like sitting behind Ashley Young, ask Powell what its like getting thrown in for a game and then shunted out again, ask Periera what the bench is like, ask Depay how he is developing right now...

Borthwick Jackson gets games because everybody is injured, and Anthony Martial is a £36 million french international, not some kid promoted from the reserves. Who does that leave? Lingard? Sure, he has played him alright, he is also 23 and no longer a kid. And 20 year old Paddy McNair looked worse each of the 7 times he got on the field this season.

Van Gaals development of the youth players doesn't stand up to any scrutiny at all, yet you are going to hear plenty of people calling it a positive of his reign. Makes no sense to me.

All I can reply to this post is a big lol and nothing more. You can put negative spin on anything.

If they're not good enough to play then we'd be giving out. If they're limited in ability then there's only so much he can bring them on. But he's given them a chance - as I said previous by accident or design - which is something Fergie never did towards the end.

u18s are getting battered here.

Still 0-0.

All I replay to this post is a big lol and nothing more. You can put negative spin on anything.

You may as LOL, because you certainly can't point out anything incorrect in there, unless you want to tell us all how all those individual players have come on leaps and bounds under the great Louis Van Gaal?

You may as LOL, because you certainly can't point out anything incorrect in there, unless you want to tell us all how all those individual players have come on leaps and bounds under the great Louis Van Gaal?

There are far more talented players at other clubs waiting for breakthrough, Van Gaal even in this **** season is not afraid to trust young players.

You are putting negative spin on Powell getting chance at Wolfsburg and that's the trust we are talking about. Young player who was back from injury was trusted enough to come on late in the game. Varela was trusted to start as RB and CBJ played in that game too.

If it was any other manager it would have been senior players playing out of position.

If there is lack of quality then manager can't do much. At least they can't moan about not getting their chances.

If they're not good enough to play then we'd be giving out. If they're limited in ability then there's only so much he can bring them on. But he's given them a chance - as I said previous by accident or design - which is something Fergie never did towards the end.

"Given them a chance" is a wishy washy statement, look past that to how they have actually been used. How Januzaj was feted and then discarded weeks later. How Varela was thrown in the deep end then thrown back into the weeds again. How Peirera has sat scratching all season, how Wilson never got a sniff despite our shockers up front.

Its lazy ****e to just call this being negative, any analysis of the use of our players puts the lie to this myth of him being good for their development.

Whether by accident or design that can't be levelled at LVG. We've seen CBJ and Lingard develop into decent squad players and others like McNair, Varela and Perreira (to a much lesser extent) get their chance.

A lot of credit must go to Warren Joyce and his team of course for making these players look as comfortable as they have done when they've come in. But to say Moyes did more than him in that regard is nonsense. LVG's system is setup to make things as easy as possible for a younger player (especially defenders) in that the tactics are very simple. Unfortunately that's no good when the rest of the players want to do more than just be static and pass the ball around the back line.

I dont really know how the development of CBJ can be attributed to him, I'll give you Lingard as LVG wanted him involved last season.

You must be joking re Verela he only got a chance because of injury and was/is behind make shift fullbacks.

Perriera has wasted a year as has Adnan.

I agree with your praise of Joyce and his team.

"Given them a chance" is a wishy washy statement, look past that to how they have actually been used. How Januzaj was feted and then discarded weeks later. How Varela was thrown in the deep end then thrown back into the weeds again. How Peirera has sat scratching all season, how Wilson never got a sniff despite our shockers up front.

Its lazy ****e to just call this being negative, any analysis of the use of our players puts the lie to this myth of him being good for their development.

Yeah if one or two youngsters didn't get chance then whole trusting young players is a myth.

People moan when certain youngsters are given chances and moan when some (who are rated highly by so called experts here but don't care about which position is open in the team) youngsters are not.

I dont really know how the development of CBJ can be attributed to him, I'll give you Lingard as LVG wanted him involved last season.

You must be joking re Verela he only got a chance because of injury and was/is behind make shift fullbacks.

Perriera has wasted a year as has Adnan.

I agree with your praise of Joyce and his team.

Why not give him credit for giving chances to Varela? He got chances because squad was trimmed. In the past we saw Fletcher playing as RB and Smalling was makeshift RB for years.

Yeah if one or two youngsters didn't get chance then whole trusting young players is a myth.

People moan when certain youngsters are given chances and moan when some (who are rated highly by so called experts here but don't care about which position is open in the team) youngsters are not.

So he "trusted youth" id like to see players progress.
    Why not give him credit for giving chances to Varela? He got chances because squad was trimmed. In the past we saw Fletcher playing as RB and Smalling was makeshift RB for years.

And we've been watching Young and Valencia play as makeshift defenders for 18 months. Verela was and is still behind them.

He only got a chance because they were injured and the CB's who LVG would have used as makeshift RB's were also injured.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement