Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Quandary wrote: »
    I have heard all the counter arguments against him, most of which I disagree with, and I honestly think it would be a match made in heaven.

I think he's a busted flush and he'd leave the club in even worse shape than he found it. It's funny how people's opinions can differ so much. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney out for a month? Good thing LVG didn't leave us disgracefully short up front due to pathetic squad planning.

It's unreal the damage his stupidity has caused.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Or he could have gone for safe option of playing Carrick/Schneiderlin as CB with Blind as LB.

IIRC CBJ played even when Young was not injured. It was when Shaw and Rojo were injured he played.

Edit: Just checked and I'm correct. CBJ played even when Young was not injured. So your point about CBJ getting chances only when 5 or 6 players were injured was completely wrong. It was Shaw and Rojo. He came on for Rojo when he made his debut and came on against Wolfsburg when Young was on bench.
    LVG stated after that game that young wasn't fit, so wasn't brought on.

• Just **** **** **** ****

540_293_resize_20130401_03139083cab8f848b526ca564ed7b0b0_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

It's funny how people's opinions can differ so much. :D

And despite our contrasting opinions, we can still engage in a civil non heated discussion!

No digs at anyone btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Time to give Keane few chances up top? I like Martial attacking from left wing. He gets so much room to dribble past players.

Will be interesting to see how we line up. Martial up top with Depay as winger or Keane up top with Martial as LWF.

Ya would like to see Keane get a few chances now.

bangkok wrote: »
    he had good rhythm out on the wing and was a big threat from there and we were creating chances for rooney.

who do you play in the left then? Depay?! This could be his moment to finally turn the corner

I would give it to Depay, it could the making of him. A few continues games under the belt will give him great confidence

Quandary wrote: »
    And despite our contrasting opinions, we can still engage in a civil non heated discussion!

No digs at anyone btw :)

You have no idea what you're talking about! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Memphis to play up front perhaps.

Is Rooney ill/injured? Can't imagine he is being rested tbh, competition is too important.

Martial up front that should have been, and Memphis to come in on the left, or Lingard to switch over, Mata back right and Herrera/Fellaini in the middle

I didn't get to check yet but I hear he could be out for a month? Great timing!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If we say a month, thats Rooney gone from the EL games, Shrewsbury, Arsenal, Watford and West Brom. 1 month would have him back right before the City game, but given how he usually takes a few games to "get up to speed", he's probably gone for that too :/

Well, Martial's just become more crucial, if that was even possible. Can we recall Wilson outside of a transfer window?

Has Rooney played his last game for LVG? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

1_2 months for Rooney and yes Wilson can be recalled.

Time for Martial to play ST and Delay/Pereira to play left wing

• Advertisement

I can't help but be excited! So many possibilities running through my head right now regarding team selection but won't bother getting in to that!

Can forget about Rooney for a while now anyway, even if he gets back training and in the squad in 4 weeks it will be at least 6-8 weeks before he plays well again! If he is out for 2 months that gets even grimmer.

I hope we see Martial up top, Memphis has been ****e, but **** it now tell him this is it, this is his opportunity to turn around this **** storm of a first season he has had and make that position his own on the wing. Let him know he is going to have a run of games to make his mark and then its up to him.

Defensively we are pretty light tonight, Blind at left back maybe.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Defensively we are pretty light tonight, Blind at left back maybe.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but... It's only Wednesday. :o

I reckon Riley and Love will be the wing backs tomorrow, Smalling and Blind center back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thank god we have Will Keane back.........

Great call LVG..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I reckon Riley and Love will be the wing backs tomorrow, Smalling and Blind center back

15f2f8e51775db74593255391c70ee70_400x400.jpeg

She's a wizz with maths but never had her pegged as a wing back...

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but... It's only Wednesday. :o

And what of it?! We are pretty light tonight, and we will be tomorrow too!! :pac:

The excitement has me skipping days :D

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thank god we have Will Keane back.........

Great call LVG..

Tbf he has surprised me. I loved Will, but after that injury his progress really got stunted, he looked nothing special since and certainly didn't do much on loan to my eye anyway. He has shown enough in the under 21's you would think to get a shot though and see if he can bridge the gap a bit to the first team squad, wouldn't hold my breath but he deserves a shot and with Rooney out and Martial certain to be rested at some point soon he may very well get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I disagree with a lot of that article tbh.

"The premier league has never been won with patient football". Yeah right, United from about 2009-now have been a patient buildup team and have a few PLs in that time. It seems like he's trying to say that Barcelona in 2009 or 2011 would never win the PL.

His criticism of Blind and Smalling is also very OTT. The defense looks worse than it is because of how bad the strikers are. Mistakes are magnified as there is nothing to take the heat off. Given the likes of Donald Love are suddenly getting games as full backs they are hardly getting much support from the full backs too.

A lot more that it would take too much time to dissect but a lot of criticism is based on conjecture, such as Fergie thinking Rooney was expendable and the talk of Rooney's wages.

He is right in what he said about the players sold however.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    15f2f8e51775db74593255391c70ee70_400x400.jpeg

She's a wizz with maths but never had her pegged as a wing back...

wjxvs2.gif

Rachel can play where ever she wants she wants she is club captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tbf he has surprised me. I loved Will, but after that injury his progress really got stunted, he looked nothing special since and certainly didn't do much on loan to my eye anyway. He has shown enough in the under 21's you would think to get a shot though and see if he can bridge the gap a bit to the first team squad, wouldn't hold my breath but he deserves a shot and with Rooney out and Martial certain to be rested at some point soon he may very well get one.

Any player who can finish when given the chance is welcome and Keane has shown that, like with Rooney and Martial however can the team create the chances to feed him? His height is a bonus as he's a bit bigger than the players that have been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

bangkok wrote: »
    The summary is, he has been the best thing to happen to us this season and the most exciting player we have had at the club since Ronaldo.
    RVP was more exciting in terms of excitement.

If you meant excitement in terms of how good they might become, then Welbeck and Januzaj were equally as exciting imo. Martial just stands out more because he's surrounded by muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    Any player who can finish when given the chance is welcome and Keane has shown that, like with Rooney and Martial however can the team create the chances to feed him? His height is a bonus as he's a bit bigger than the players that have been there.

He has good first touch and also a touch of Berba in his play. At least for U21s he was class. Hopefully he takes his chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

From United site: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Feb/team-news-wayne-rooney-to-miss-midtjylland-v-manchester-united-due-to-knee-injury.aspx?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd
    Wayne Rooney will miss Manchester United's match against FC Midtjylland on Thursday night and potentially some other upcoming fixtures due to a knee injury.

Reds boss Louis van Gaal delivered the news in an exclusive interview with MUTV and then his pre-match press conference, but in both cases declined to estimate when the captain might return to action.

"We have 13 players out and Wayne is one of them," the boss told the club's official TV channel.

"You can never say [how long he could be out for]. He has a knee problem so we have to wait and see."

The 13 absentees also include right-back Matteo Darmian, who suffered shoulder damage in Saturday's game at Sunderland, and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, who has started United's last five matches at left-back since coming on as a substitute at Anfield a month ago.

"Darmian has a dislocated shoulder. It's not the heaviest type so we are lucky, but he is injured and out," confirmed van Gaal. "Borthwick-Jackson is ill and cannot play either, so we have 13 players injured or not capable of playing.

"I have never had that amount of players injured [before]. When you realise that they are only contact injuries - only Marouane Fellaini maybe has a muscle problem, the rest have contact injuries - it's unbelievable that we are very unlucky."

Speaking more about Rooney, the manager confirmed the injury was sustained when the Reds were chasing a result at Sunderland and admitted his absence, as an in-form striker, could be a blow.

"Certainly in 2016, he has scored goals and that's why we had a good run in matches until Sunderland, but we have to cope with that," said van Gaal. "Everybody can be injured and also the captain can be injured.

"Wayne [is a player] who wants to go until the end and if he is feeling pain, he doesn't want to go away [off the field], and certainly when you are drawing a match, he wants to win. That's a fantastic attitude but also it's bad for his body."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

so we have 1 fit senior striker. Deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Canadel wrote: »
    RVP was more exciting in terms of excitement.

If you meant excitement in terms of how good they might become, then Welbeck and Januzaj were equally as exciting imo. Martial just stands out more because he's surrounded by muck.

What was Welbeck doing at 19? Do you honestly think Welbeck is equally exciting in terms of potential as Martial?

This is all very like the guy that used to come in and say we should sign Cattermole or Landon Donovan every few days. I just don't believe you are serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

What was Welbeck doing at 19? Do you honestly think Welbeck is equally exciting in terms of potential as Martial?

This is all very like the guy that used to come in and say we should sign Cattermole or Landon Donovan every few days. I just don't believe you are serious.

I'd say this is definitely one of those personal things as we all value different aspects of football/footballer's above others.

I certainly made similar comments about Adnan and not everyone agreed.

beno619 wrote: »
    I'd say this is definitely one of those personal things as we all value different aspects of football/footballer's above others.

I certainly made similar comments about Adnan and not everyone agreed.

Yeah but did you keep shoe-horning him into nearly every conversation knowing that it causes annoyance and disruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

KH25 wrote: »
    so we have 1 fit senior striker. Deadly.

Its just unlucky.

Had a good loan spell at Sunderland and then went onto score 12 goals in the 11/12 season for Utd. RVP was then signed and Welbeck took on a different role for the title winning season, still an integral part of the team. He then reverted back to a more central role under Moyes , rotating with RVP and Rooney, and looked better than both of them for large periods of the season. The rest is history. Anyway, to answer your question, there was huge excitement about Welbeck since his time at youth level. He's had his injury hiccups and management mistakes to deal with, but he can still deliver on those expectations and show why there was so much excitement.

Had a good loan spell at Sunderland and then went onto score 12 goals in the 11/12 season for Utd. RVP was then signed and Welbeck took on a different role for the title winning season, still an integral part of the team. He then reverted back to a more central role under Moyes , rotating with RVP and Rooney, and looked better than both of them for large periods of the season. The rest is history. Anyway, to answer your question, there was huge excitement about Welbeck since his time at youth level. He's had his injury hiccups and management mistakes to deal with, but he can still deliver on those expectations and show why there was so much excitement.

I only asked what he was doing at 19. He was a bit part player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

So the answer is Welbeck was on loan at Sunderland. I remember that season, he did very well. He wasn't remotely as good as Martial is now. Do you want to have a bet on which of the two will have a better career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Where is Neeson these days?

Jaysus, your like the AIG of Danny Welbeck!

Its just unlucky.

Its unlucky if you have 3 strikers injured and only one left, its stupidity if you have one senior striker injured and one left.

Pro. F wrote: »
    So the answer is Welbeck was on loan at Sunderland. I remember that season, he did very well. He wasn't remotely as good as Martial is now. Do you want to have a bet on which of the two will have a better career?
    He was closer to him than not in terms of talent. Martial, while very good and a great talent, isn't remotely as good now as a lot of people say he is. No thanks, but I think a lot of people may be surprised. Martial may have to move away from Utd too if he wants success.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sometime an opportunity for another player can be a revelation. It was for CBJ, maybe Keane will take his opportunity.

We will have to wait and see.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its unlucky if you have 3 strikers injured and only one left, its stupidity if you have one senior striker injured and one left.

Jayo you should know better by now!

imuvi8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Unsure if posted already, but here's the squad for tommow.

De Gea, Romero, Love, McNair, Smalling, Blind, Poole, Riley, Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Lingard, Pereira, Weir, Mata, Memphis, Martial, Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Listen, I'm a big fan of Welbeck but he is nowhere near the talent that Martial is.
    If anything, Martials talent is going mostly unnoticed in England.

He is the most exciting player to arrive at Utd since Ronaldo and seems destined to be a world superstar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He was closer to him than not in terms of talent. Martial, while very good and a great talent, isn't remotely as good now as a lot of people say he is. No thanks, but I think a lot of people may be surprised. Martial may have to move away from Utd too if he wants success.

The fact in a team where every forward player is struggling and he is performing so well he may be a lot better than people think he is.

Martial is performing far better then anyone could have reasonably expected at this point, and that he is doing it while part of an attacking unit that is, struggling shall we say, actually makes it all the more impressive.

13 feckin injuries is ridiculous you know, regardless of how big your squad is you are not gonna be in a good place with that number of unavailable players, obviously impacts far more on those teams with smaller squads, like us.

Still, excited to see if any of the younger guys get and can take their chance to step in and perform, stake a claim and surprise people as only young players can :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

51279093_1453460623.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Martial's finishing is really really good, doesn't get rush of blood to the brain... calm cool finishing. .. makes it look easy. Sign of class.. can only get better... imagine if we were playing well....

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just **** **** **** ****

540_293_resize_20130401_03139083cab8f848b526ca564ed7b0b0_jpg.jpg

Is this the Irish version of burning man?

What channel is the madrid game on anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Is this the Irish version of burning man?

What channel is the madrid game on anyone?

RTE 2 or BT Sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

I don't see anyone stepping up to the mark and getting anywhere near Rooney's shoes now, obviously hope I'm wrong but I think any chance of silverware is gone now.

The Chico & Van Persie sales now look even more stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal getting the excuses in early for when things go belly up then, I have really no sympathy for him with the injuries

I think I made a little tongue in cheek comment back in August about how we were resting our hopes this season on a 19 year old, it looks like that will be the case now

Van Gaal getting the excuses in early for when things go belly up then, I have really no sympathy for him with the injuries

I think I made a little tongue in cheek comment back in August about how we were resting our hopes this season on a 19 year old, it looks like that will be the case now
    same with myself, kinda.

The defensive injuries really are worse than you could have planned for - an extra centre back (which I called for) wouldn't be making a massive difference.

The forward position though... this is exactly the situation people screamed was going to happen when he decided he only needed Memphis and Martial to replace Januzaj, Di Maria, RVP, Hernandez and Falcao/Welbeck (and Wilson). He wanted a small squad with feck all forward options - so big fecking surprise the options are crap when Rooney inevitably got injured/played sh1t.

He had to have seen this coming and didn't do anything about it - still mumbling on like a moron saying he has no regrets over selling all the forwards and not signing another striker.

Jaysus lads I remember we were linked with james rodrigues there a few months ago.

No thanks.

Garbage.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Jaysus lads I remember we were linked with james rodrigues there a few months ago.

No thanks.

Garbage.

remember being linked with him after the world cup, before Real signed him, and feeling you'd want to wait another season or so before spunking 60million on him, felt very much a flavour of the month Poborsky type signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

obviously hope I'm wrong but I think any chance of silverware is gone now..

Its been gone for a while to be honest. At no point have we ever looked like a side able to win games never mind silverware, so its hard to get too upset about losing Rooney, its not like he was going to fire us to the title anyway.

This season is a bust, we could have done something about it months ago but we didn't, so all thats left is to play this out until the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement