Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And LVG is saying he isn't going to recall Wilson.

United are suffering for the stupidity of LVG - he created a small squad, and it is United that will suffer the effects of this for years - while he enjoys his retirement in Portugal.

This was all so predictable.

How LVG still has a job is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

beno619 wrote: »
    I certainly remember Korat for one and well as posters thanking posts of that sentiment.

On the mobile right now but will fish up my own posts from that day this evening.

Any sign of these posts where many people thought the Welbeck deal was shocking and preferred him to Falcao?

Also, hate to tell you this, but either you are remembering Korat wrong, or he has certainly had a big change of opinion on Danny!
    Korat wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me how much of some opinions are obviously influenced by the UK media. Any time an English player has a decent game he's the best in the world, ignoring the fact that he's either been injured or ****e for most of his career up to that point.

Funnily enough while the UK press loves their Roy of the Rovers stories they take every opportunity to denigrate their most genuinely talented players. It's all about selling print I suppose but I wish people wouldn't regurgitate the crap they spout without taking an objective view of it first.

Welbeck is an injury prone mediocre footballer and Utd were right to move him on in my opinion, at the time. If he was Irish the UK press would have questioned how he deserved a move to Arsenal at all, much like when Shane Long was linked with Liverpool.
    Korat wrote:
    Welbeck's finishing and touch were terrible at Utd. Maybe the coaching he gets at Arsenal will improve those but right now he's a bang average player as far I'm concerned. If he doesn't improve and the international goals dry up then the press will turn on him the way they did with Emile Heskey, who was a player of a similar standard imo. They build them up to knock them down.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

According to physioroom.

1|Borthwick-Jackson|Illness
    2|Rooney|Knee Injury
    3|Darmian|Dislocated Shoulder
    4|Fellaini|Hamstring Injury
    5|Varela|Knock
    6|Januzaj|Hamstring Injury
    7|Jones|Knock
    8|Young|Groin/Pelvis Injury
    9|Schweinsteiger|Knee Injury
    10|Rojo|Dislocated Shoulder
    11|Valencia|Ankle/Foot Injury
    12|Shaw|Broken Leg

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

According to physioroom.

2|Rooney|Knee Injury
    5|Varela|Knock
    7|Jones|Knock
    12|Shaw|Broken Leg

Jesus.

At least we are top of a league.

bangkok wrote: »
    of course he would walk into our side, we are pretty **** in fairness. still don't think he is much better than mata if even better than him at all.

Why would he have to be competing with Mata though? Him on the right, Mata central and Martial or a functional Memphis on the left with Martial up top would be pretty impressive, on paper.

James is a very good player, worth the ridiculous transfer fee? No of course not, but he didn't set that. He has a great delivery on him, great tricks and skills, quick feet and he is no slouch.

In terms of a RW option if you want to compare him to Mata from that perspective he certainly would be a noticeable upgrade, but no reason they couldn't play in the same side.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

And LVG is saying he isn't going to recall Wilson.

United are suffering for the stupidity of LVG - he created a small squad, and it is United that will suffer the effects of this for years - while he enjoys his retirement in Portugal.

This was all so predictable.

How LVG still has a job is beyond me.

how dare you, its all part of "The Philosophy" :o

414lrHhPjIL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fellaini now too? Christ, so much for that "state of the art medical clinic that can predict injuries 6 months before they happen" at Carrington.

I haven't seen this many men go down since the gay marriage referendum celebrations in temple bar.

Vast majority of the injuries, like 90+% of them have been contact injuries, so......

Why would he have to be competing with Mata though? Him on the right, Mata central and Martial or a functional Memphis on the left with Martial up top would be pretty impressive, on paper.

James is a very good player, worth the ridiculous transfer fee? No of course not, but he didn't set that. He has a great delivery on him, great tricks and skills, quick feet and he is no slouch.

In terms of a RW option if you want to compare him to Mata from that perspective he certainly would be a noticeable upgrade, but no reason they couldn't play in the same side.

remember this line up.... think it was v Leicester away front 6 looked class on paper... the rest is history

img_20140921_123611.jpg

Doesn't actually matter what squad size you have when you have an injury list that length! The sheer amount of those that were contact injuries is unreal. We haven't got the rub of the green in that regard at all!

Nice to see youth get a chance, not as nice when you have no choice but to play them whether they are ready or not of course! :)

According to physioroom.

2|Rooney|Knee Injury
    5|Varela|Knock
    7|Jones|Knock
    12|Shaw|Broken Leg

Jesus.

• Advertisement

remember this line up.... think it was v Leicester away front 6 looked class on paper... the rest is history

Do you deliberately not address peoples point when you respond or is it something that comes naturally?

• That list is ****ing depressing

*edit*

Sounds like Weir is going to get a run out tonight also.

He came on against Newcastle recently I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Any sign of these posts where many people thought the Welbeck deal was shocking and preferred him to Falcao?

Also, hate to tell you this, but either you are remembering Korat wrong, or he has certainly had a big change of opinion on Danny!

A month after the sale though a discussion did open up which you can read here

My post was actually on Facebook, which I can produce if you like ? but i'll have to admit while people were sad to see him go im not sure many came out and said they would rather keep Danny.

Haha I had a good chuckle reading that this morning, apologies Korat it was K4t who would have picked Welbeck over Falcao :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MEN saying we have an offer from China for Rooney that is being considered, but Ed would want a big name replacement lined up first. Plus, I would imagine Wayne would have something to say bout it....

Doesn't actually matter what squad size you have when you have an injury list that length! The sheer amount of those that were contact injuries is unreal. We haven't got the rub of the green in that regard at all!

Nice to see youth get a chance, not as nice when you have no choice but to play them whether they are ready or not of course! :)

It certainly does matter, as posted earlier this season, Arsenal had similar injury problems yet still had a matchday squad full of internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUIPbRJL27E

seems like a lifetime ago.... 6 mins in 2-0 up v Bayern Munich. Makes you realise how far we have fallen

Can you remember the manager of that Bayern team who knocked United out that year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

We talk more about Welbeck past 18months then any United player I reckon.

Even Rooney, Martial and Carrick debates are finished within a day, Welbeck debates go on for days.

Why? I have no idea. Im all for people discussing whatever they like, but its Dizzy Roundabouts at this stage.

It's obvious why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote:
    MEN saying we have an offer from China for Rooney that is being considered, but Ed would want a big name replacement lined up first. Plus, I would imagine Wayne would have something to say bout it....

Any source on that
    Not doubting you

My post was actually on Facebook, which I can produce if you like ? but i'll have to admit while people were sad to see him go im not sure many came out and said they would rather keep Danny.

There definitely were people who didn't want him to go, even if they weren't irate about it. My own post, echoing a sentiment from Liam O is here, for example.

And actually you thanked this post (before I just linked back to it ;)), which proves your point - that you weren't supportive of him leaving at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Liam O wrote:
    Can you remember the manager of that Bayern team who knocked United out that year?

Some fella van gowl or goul or Gaul wasn't it??

brinty wrote: »
    Any source on that
    Not doubting you

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wayne-rooney-manchester-united-transfer-10905636#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Nothing massively concrete. These China stories must make journalism incredibly easy at the moment though.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Any source on that
    Not doubting you

Eh... The MEN. Its right there in the post.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wayne-rooney-manchester-united-transfer-10905636#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Nothing massively concrete. These China stories must make journalism incredibly easy at the moment though.
    I heard about this yesterday on one of the fanzine sites - could be this story is sourced from the same spot they got their information.

Do you deliberately not address peoples point when you respond or is it something that comes naturally?

what you on about?

There definitely were people who didn't want him to go, even if they weren't irate about it. My own post, echoing a sentiment from Liam O is here, for example.

And actually you thanked this post (before I just linked back to it ;)), which proves your point - that you weren't supportive of him leaving at the time.

Oh definitely !

The point I made yesterday was that people said they would have preferred Welbeck over Falcoa on deadline day. Havnt found any proof of that ... yet.
    Two months later though it was clear as rain that is was a mistake and a good few posters agreed.

Oh definitely !

The point I made yesterday was that people said they would have preferred Welbeck over Falcoa on deadline day. Havnt found any proof of that ... yet.
    Two months later though it was clear as rain that is was a mistake and a good few posters agreed.

Ah, I must have missed that bit. I don't recall people saying they'd prefer him to Falcao, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. :D

Waynes say on the issue: "Food's mint."

He'd probably become the highest paid footballer in the world if he did it for a couple of seasons. Would also be the only way I see United ever selling him - no Euro club is going to offer Rooney the same type of cash United offer, never mind more than it.

He would get some salary over there. Lavezzi is on a contract worth a reported £400k a week!!

Waynes say on the issue: "Food's mint."

He'd probably become the highest paid footballer in the world if he did it for a couple of seasons. Would also be the only way I see United ever selling him - no Euro club is going to offer Rooney the same type of cash United offer, never mind more than it.

Yeah, you'd have to imagine we'd get an absolute fortune for him too. Way more than any Euro or MLS club would pay for a 30 year old who has consistency issues. When you see some players going for 50 or 60m who are worth half that, I'd wonder what they'd be offering for Rooney...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would get a pilot lessons, eventually become a pilot and fly Rooney there myself

Yeah, you'd have to imagine we'd get an absolute fortune for him too. Way more than any Euro or MLS club would pay for a 30 year old who has consistency issues. When you see some players going for 50 or 60m who are worth half that, I'd wonder what they'd be offering for Rooney...
    That is one of the things I don't get.
    I can understand why they would need to offer massive wages but I don't get why the transfer fees need to be far bigger than 'usual'. If UNited would, for example, accept 30million from PSG for him, why would a Chinese club need to offer loads more? Why do they need to offer 25million + for average players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

IIRC Rooney was linked with Move to China long back, I think it was in Nov 2015.

Here is the link.
    http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2726922/wayne-rooney-move-to-china-would-be-fantastic-eriksson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It was my opinion for one.

Its not the sale that bugs me, (although we didn't need to replace Wellbeck with Falcao when we already had two other world class strikers),

I can understand why they would need to offer massive wages but I don't get why the transfer fees need to be far bigger than 'usual'. If UNited would, for example, accept 30million from PSG for him, why would a Chinese club need to offer loads more? Why do they need to offer 25million + for average players?

shock and awe? They need to make a big statement and this way gets the league loads of attention.

Didn't Chelsea turn down a £50m plus bid for Oscar in January?

even the wages thing, Asamoah Gyan would have signed for probably 100k a week, instead he became one of the highest paid players in the world when he moved to China and all the media attention that goes with it is probably what they want, raise the profile of the club/league

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

img_20140921_123611.jpg

and that team got thrashed..............

yep and that was van gaals team, hard to believe a year later 6 of that starting team are no longer there!!! its actually crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I would get Zlatan on a yearly contract and send Rooney off to China, give Martial another couple of seasons without the weight of being main striker to develop

I feel it's like....on Football Manager, you get an offer for a player you don't want to sell, so you respond with a ridiculous figure...and the club accepts, so you're like "Well, fair enough see you later, player!". Its like they don't know how to negotiate.

With that Teixeira (think that was his name) guy Pool were after, they offered a figure and the other team said "His release clause is X and we won't let him go for less", and Pool backed away cause it was too much. Then China seems to just go "What do you want? Ok, here you go". There doesn't seem much attempt by them to negotiate prices down at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think in regards to Welbeck, the fact that Fergie played him in that designated role in the CL to hassle and harry so to utilise his natural stamina and work-rate, is definitive proof that he isn't a great striker. It's the very same as Valencia been converted into a full-back the last few years- not good enough at the fundamentals of his position (composure and finishing in Welbeck's case), so shifted elsewhere to do a job.

Don't worry, he'll soon revert back to his usual slipping on his hole when through on goal as Arsenal squander another winnable game. Right at home with Walcott and Giroud there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Something along the lines of "I am in me f*cking hole going to China. F*ck off Ed" I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Goals goals goals

At the wrong end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I asked this question in the China/Football thread. The only thing I can think of is that they're deliberately paying over the odds in order to make a statement, which I find to be absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I'd say they need to pay such huge fees to get the UEFA clubs interested. Strategically the last thing any of the big European clubs need is another competitor with huge resources in Asia - imagine if the potential damage it could do to the PL or La Liga if suddenly all the best players could go somewhere other than Spain or England? They want to retain the status quo as it is but with the figures being bandied about if you have a spare Wayne Rooney lying around why not make the most of him.

Woodward said last week "it opens up another market for players to be sold into" - Rooney was the first player I thought of when he said it

Am I right saying the game is on at like 6 o clock tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I would get Zlatan on a yearly contract and send Rooney off to China, give Martial another couple of seasons without the weight of being main striker to develop

Is it realistic that Zlatan would go to United if you dont get Champions league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Am I right saying the game is on at like 6 o clock tonight?

yup 6 o clock kick off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

ronjo wrote: »
    Is it realistic that Zlatan would go to United if you dont get Champions league?

I don't think Pep or Wenger would want him so that leaves only two teams that could pay his wages and both won't have CL football next season

ronjo wrote: »

CJy7U2rWoAAx2pk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Canadel wrote: »
    He's certainly not miles better. Anyway, I don't know why you are so desperate to compare how good the two were at that age. Welbeck has been excellent since then, even if his scoring record hasn't reflected it, and he is improving on that and will continue to do so as his confidence grows at Arsenal.

The conversation, which you started, was about which player was the more exciting prospect at United. It would be hard to evaluate that without comparing how good the two of them were at the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I don't think Pep or Wenger would want him so that leaves only two teams that could pay his wages and both won't have CL football next season

Fair point on that....... Would love to see him at Arsenal for a year but cant see it happening at all.

Zlatan and Vardy could be an interesting front line for Leicester. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

For those who are keen on the idea of Pochettino for next manager, here's an interesting article about him from Jonathan Wilson at the Guardian.

I found this bit particularly interesting:
    "Brad Friedel said that in two decades of football he’d never worked with a coach who placed such an emphasis on conditioning as Pochettino."

I know the appointment would come with more risk than Mourinho, but he would still be my number one choice of those who might be getable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement