Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pro. F wrote: »
    For those who are keen on the idea of Pochettino for next manager, here's an interesting article about him from Jonathan Wilson at the Guardian.

I found this bit particularly interesting:
    "Brad Friedel said that in two decades of football he’d never worked with a coach who placed such an emphasis on conditioning as Pochettino."

I know the appointment would come with more risk than Mourinho, but he would still be my number one choice of those who might be getable.

If you were to exclused Mourinho for all the reasons that have been spoken about and debated, then Pochetino would be my first choice after him.

People will point to him having not won anything - but it is very tough for a manager outside the top few sides to win something, so it isn't something I pay much attention to myself.

For me - the criteria are:

Proven track record of improving sides
    Proven track record of achieving goals.
    Playing good football
    Developing young players (where they are available)

Pochetino ticks all of those for me - more so than most coaches that I could actually name.

A lot of talk coming from OT that he is a big target for United. I reckon you could forget about United ever getting Kane if we were to try get Pohetino off Tottenham though. Levy would would go insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

For those who are keen on the idea of Pochettino for next manager, here's an interesting article about him from Jonathan Wilson at the Guardian.

"Brad Friedel said that in two decades of football he’d never worked with a coach who placed such an emphasis on conditioning as Pochettino."

I know the appointment would come with more risk than Mourinho, but he would still be my number one choice of those who might be getable.

Cheers, good read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Why would Pochettino leave Tottenham to come to United? It doesn't make any sense and is completely unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If you were to exclused Mourinho for all the reasons that have been spoken about and debated, then Pochetino would be my first choice after him.

People will point to him having not won anything - but it is very tough for a manager outside the top few sides to win something, so it isn't something I pay much attention to myself.

For me - the criteria are:

Proven track record of improving sides
    Proven track record of achieving goals.
    Playing good football
    Developing young players (where they are available)

Pochetino ticks all of those for me - more so than most coaches that I could actually name.

A lot of talk coming from OT that he is a big target for United. I reckon you could forget about United ever getting Kane if we were to try get Pohetino off Tottenham though. Levy would would go insane!

Levy might be forced into a corner and have to sell kane, they are moving to a new stadium and funds have to come from somewhere, although I reckon they would be looking for 50m for Kane

• Pro. F wrote: »

Not my preferred choice, but a good read nonetheless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why would Pochettino leave Tottenham to come to United? It doesn't make any sense and is completely unrealistic.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    CJy7U2rWoAAx2pk.jpg

Getting my use out of the picture today :P

As for Poch, he'd be my second choice behind Jose.

But it all boils down, for me, to needing a manager who brings us the best chance of immediate success, and the ability to attract big names without CL football. Thats Jose, imo. Poch feels more like the type of guy you'd appoint after a Jose type, to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I worry that Pochettino would get swallowed up by the challenge and expectation

Even if I think he would make steady progress, with Pep, Wenger, Klopp and most likely Simeone in the league the competition will be insane and I feel like anyone other than Mourinho is destined to fail and then we are really in deep trouble. 3 failures in a row could do significant damage to the club.

bangkok wrote: »
    Levy might be forced into a corner and have to sell kane, they are moving to a new stadium and funds have to come from somewhere, although I reckon they would be looking for 50m for Kane
    Isn't their owner MEGA rich? new tv deal probably helps too and I would guess they'll get a pretty penny off the NFL for whatever games are played there. Might also be hoping an NFL franchise kicks off in London, at their ground (which has been built with that in mind, iirc) so i would guess they won't be selling off their best to fund the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

At the end of the day Spurs are Spurs, Leicester will be facing a similar scenario when there squad is picked apart this summer.

• Advertisement

Is that a joke?

"We'd like to offer you the biggest job in football and trucks full of cash, what do you say?"

"Nah, I've got the Spurs job. Thanks though."

It doesn't make any sense and is completely unrealistic.

Is that a joke?

"We'd like to offer you the biggest job in football and trucks full of cash, what do you say?"

No but you see Tottenham are currently ahead of us in the table, unlike every other year in the premiership, which means Tottenham is now, and forever, the bigger and better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

United could pay him more than Spurs and give him more money to spend on players. He might be happy to stay at Spurs, or he might not, but it is very realistic to think that United would have a decent chance of poaching Spurs' manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be delighted with Spurs manager. It will be interesting to see if Spurs can last pace till end of season or the pressing game catches up with them.

• I be delighted with Spurs manager. It will be interesting to see if Spurs can last pace till end of season or the pressing game catches up with them.

Back to Pro Fs post, if conditioning is the highest priority on his training regime then I don't foresee any reason they should suffer from fatigue in this case.

I would consider him in my top 3 if he actually wins the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Back to Pro Fs post, if conditioning is the highest priority on his training regime then I don't foresee any reason they should suffer from fatigue in this case.

I would consider him in my top 3 if he actually wins the PL.

I actually take a punt on him before Jose, but would not say no to Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

6pm :( That's lousy. Gonna miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

6pm :( That's lousy. Gonna miss it.
    Might be better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone want to meet me in Oil Can Harrys pub for it?

Pro F?

Might be better off.

True enough, although even the worst football is better than work. :pac:

Nalz wrote: »
    Anyone want to meet me in Oil Can Harrys pub for it?

Pro F?

No thanks, you seem really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Is that a joke?

you are being very condescending when you say it like this. if you look at it objectively, you'd see the point that is being made.

as it stands, he will have a team in the champions league, a team that is progressing and a team that is young, playing great football and one that he can call his own. he has a stable and powerful CEO behind him. he is young and will perhaps have plenty of opportunity to manage United at some stage.

United is a club that has alot of questions over it, a poor squad needing alot of work, a club that has questions over its CEO and alot of discontent among est its fans base.

lets be honest, Poch is better off staying away from it, right now.

No thanks, you seem really annoying.

ok no worries!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

you are being very condescending when you say it like this.

I'm too old to change my ways now Homer. ;)

You talk about objectivity, but I don't think you are being objective. I think you take a very pessimistic view of the club, even if there is plenty of cause to be negative.

I think an offer from United would be very hard to turn down for almost any manager, particularly one at a lesser club in the same league, unless the likes of Bayern or Barca are also knocking on his door. It doesn't mean he would absolutely, definitely take the job, but the incredulity of the OP at the prospect is worthy of being mocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

I liked Welbeck but he wasn't good enough to be a starter and most likely never would have been, the fact is he played basically the whole 11/12 season up top so he did get a good run as a striker, he was young yes, but all in all in front of goal he's the same player, and probably always will be, and playing like a world beater against Bayern I've seen mentioned? What the game when he was 1v1 with the best chance of the game and tried to chip Neuer?? Chicharito and Nani were much worse sales, Rafael too

Also anyone who thinks we couldn't get Pochettino is deluded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pereira not starting is shocking decision when he is our best U21 player. At least every substitution will be very interesting as it's full of U21 players.

Also ManUtd have won 6 league games in 5 months. Beyond pathetic how Van Gaal is still in charge of United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

xtal191 wrote: »

Would have like to see Schneiderlin starting. Line up doesn't fill me with confidence but I guess we have to make do with what we have ATM. I doubt the opponent will be shaking in their boots.

Hopefully we will get through with no more injuries

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Pereira not starting is shocking decision when he is our best U21 player. At least every substitution will be very interesting as it's full of U21 players.

Also ManUtd have won 6 league games in 5 months. Beyond pathetic how Van Gaal is still in charge of United.

Should we be taking this tournament very seriously though? It realistically is our only avenue into the CL?

I can't see us getting into the top 4, and I agree with you it's really pathetic he hasn't walked by now never mind being pushed.

That is insane. I couldn't believe it, but it seems to be correct.

There was a period there between the end of October and start of Jan that was bottom club form, nevermind bottom half form.

378106.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

bangkok wrote: »
    of course he would walk into our side, we are pretty **** in fairness. still don't think he is much better than mata if even better than him at all.

Ah ok you haven't watched him so.

Would have like to see Schneiderlin starting. Line up doesn't fill me with confidence but I guess we have to make do with what we have ATM. I doubt the opponent will be shaking in their boots.

Hopefully we will get through with no more injuries

On paper, out of current context, that line-up should be 100% enough to win this match.

In current context, the line-up does give me cause for concern, and Midtjylland wouldn't be fools to believe that they could win this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

glued wrote: »
    Ah ok you haven't watched him so.

The Mata love in is crazy, if we're being honest for £40m he's been not far from a flop

(Yes my username is Juan8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My U12 girls are playing for four victories in a row this evening so I won't be catching this game. I feel like I've gotten the better end of the stick really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My U12 girls are playing for four victories in a row this evening so I won't be catching this game. I feel like I've gotten the better end of the stick really.

Four in a row??? Will you give lvg a few pointers we cant get two on a row. Best of luck tho give us a match report later to cheer us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

DDG limping here in the warm up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nalz wrote: »
    Should we be taking this tournament very seriously though? It realistically is our only avenue into the CL?

I can't see us getting into the top 4, and I agree with you it's really pathetic he hasn't walked by now never mind being pushed.

IMO our only chance for CL next season and I believe we are not even good enough to win Europa league. There are few better teams and will murder us.

Yeah, even I didn't believe it when I saw the stat. So double checked it and it was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Quandary wrote: »

You couldn't make this sh!t up at this stage!! Can't believe this, things are just getting worse and worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

jayo26 wrote: »
    Four in a row??? Will you give lvg a few pointers we cant get two on a row. Best of luck tho give us a match report later to cheer us up.

This crowd bet us early in the season and are top of the table. We've beaten every team below us which is what we'd only love United to be doing!
    This will be a great test for the girls to see how much they've really improved. Fingers crossed!

Without DDG, we are screwed. Hopefully it's nothing serious, cause long term, he is holding the team together...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

You couldn't make this sh!t up at this stage!! Can't believe this, things are just getting worse and worse!

BT sport saying he should be ok to start the match but is currently having treatment in the dressing room.

edit - DDG not fit to start, romero in goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It's OK lads we have valdes as backup

Oh no wait

Lvg can piss right off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

DDG out - Romero In

**** sake :(:(:(

• Quandary wrote: »

Oh ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No DDG

Im going watching this from behind the couch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Commentator still thinks Donald Love is Brazilian, called him Douglas Love 2 times now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Sure you were the one arguing for LVG and his trust in youth....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement