Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Will be interesting (and disheartening) to see if Mourinho gets papped out with Inter reps at the weekend

The more I think about Pochettino coming in the more it worries me, I think he will definitely be successful in his career but I don't think it will begin with United in the next 3 or 4 years. He's only 43, a kid in manager years.

I think its foolish to believe only one man can save the world (the world being United obviously)

I like a lot of the managers out there, Conte is my current top man in the rotation of managers I would like to see replace Van Gaal, will probably change a couple times again by the end of the season but he has been in mind for a while now and by your reckoning is still basically a kid in manager years (46) but knows how to win and could be a long term manager all going well.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

you are talking about Van Gall here.

Not sure I understand your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No I havent. I said we were poor tonight and ravaged with injuries, both ture, I have critiscised the team and LVG many times.

Its just the usual difffernt sides of the same coin crowd in here, like you, who like to pigeon hole others, who try to even open any sort of discourse on any given topic that differs to theirs.

I'm pigeon holing others? Lmao, what was it you called the other posters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Sand wrote: »
    Why didn't he stop the rot at Chelsea?

Rumours rampant about what happened at Chelsea team players didn't want him around apparently after sacking that physio

She must give a decent aul rub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

At this stage I just want Mourinho in... if he signs for another club due to board ****ing about im calling it here very very dark days for our club... pochettino is not the man for the job, either is giggs, simeone to chelsea, carlsberg (my arse) to city and mourinho wanting our job for years......

sir alex cant fix this either we need a mercenary and mourinho is a boss of a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

At this stage I just want Mourinho in... if he signs for another club due to board ****ing about im calling it here very very dark days for our club... pochettino is not the man for the job, either is giggs, simeone to chelsea, carlsberg (my arse) to city and mourinho wanting our job for years......

sir alex cant fix this either we need a mercenary and mourinho is a boss of a manager

I honestly think if Jose comes in it's going to end up in a disaster just like Chelsea this season. He just hasn't been the same since Madrid.

But in fairness anyone would be better at the minute it's just dreadful all round at the minute

To respond to the post that made an issue of how much a travelling squad cost, greatly inflated by two members of it. As if it makes a ****ing difference either way, the squad cost is irrelevant, it was Man United against some teams name I can't spell who are 3rd in the Danish league and haven't played a proper match in weeks. We should be beating those teams.

Is that ok with you?

That's grand with me. But highlighting the cost is some big bad thing it isn't, seems more against the poster then the post.

Like you say we should be beating them. You are agreeing with him but getting digs in. Imo.

user2011 wrote: »
    That's grand with me. But highlighting the cost is some big bad thing it isn't, seems more against the poster then the post.

Like you say we should be beating them. You are agreeing with him but getting digs in. Imo.

Write it in your blog?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

sky88 wrote: »
    I honestly think if Jose comes in it's going to end up in a disaster just like Chelsea this season. He just hasn't been the same since Madrid.

But in fairness anyone would be better at the minute it's just dreadful all round at the minute
    jose was in romans pocket.....

that was obvious.. give him the funds and free reign at a club and i am confident he will bring success back.

the next few weeks are critical lvg needs to be shown door now no more nice ceo and bring the mercenary in..... we need to be ruthless.

Write it in your blog?

Will do, can I PM you the blog URL?

• Advertisement

Will do, can I PM you the blog URL?

I don't mind.

No I havent. I said we were poor tonight and ravaged with injuries, both ture, I have critiscised the team and LVG many times.

Its just the usual difffernt sides of the same coin crowd in here, like you, who like to pigeon hole others, who try to even open any sort of discourse on any given topic that differs to theirs.

Stringers post,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98778071&postcount=9519

Your post's,

1st, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98777213&postcount=9493

2nd, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98777630&postcount=9508

My post,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98778103&postcount=9523

Wanna retract?

I doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Manchester United's players face wage cuts of 25 per cent if they fail to get the club into the Champions League.

The Old Trafford stars will see their salaries slashed if Louis van Gaal’s men fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

Club chiefs first introduced the policy in some contracts three years ago in a move devised by former United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and chief executive David Gill.

But the clause has been a strict inclusion in all fresh contracts and transfers at the club since United came seventh in 2014 when David Moyes was axed.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-stars-face-wages-7396643

The players will have to cope with an ever so slightly less luxurious lifestyle. In your face, you underperforming shíts!

Lads who could have foreseen this ****e when fergie retirement happened I was expecting it a little bit but this is laughable now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SAF to make a surprise return from retirement maybe :pac:

And just like what happened when Sir Matt was recalled, he fails to arrest the decline, we appoint yet another loser manager and then we get relegated :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lads who could have foreseen this ****e when fergie retirement happened I was expecting it a little bit but this is laughable now

I was expecting a massive dip tbh and had steeled myself for years in the wilderness.

Ya know it's not the fact that we are going through a bad spell, that was invariably going to come in a post Fergie era, it's the manner of our decline, we are utterly rudderless.

If the team were going out, giving their all every week and losing that would be a much less bitter pill to swallow.

The first mistake was appointing Moyes. We can wax lyrical about why it happened but the fact is, it was a massive mistake from the get go.

I wonder what Charlton and the others who (allegedly) vetoed Jose in the first place think now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Poor preformance but it was an injury ravaged squad. We just cant get a break in that department atm.

Still fancy us to go through and its only half time in the tie but people will make this into a sh1tstorm.

Whatever.

Lol, wow.

Comedy gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Espn saying the offer from China for Rooney is for £27m and the proposed wages are 500k a week. BBC, sourcing Luckhurst, don't quote a price but say United would like to accept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor preformance but it was an injury ravaged squad. We just cant get a break in that department atm.

Still fancy us to go through and its only half time in the tie but people will make this into a sh1tstorm.

Whatever.

Same nonsense from you as always, take off those rose tinted glasses for once, you're completely deluded.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Espn saying the offer from China for Rooney is for £27m and the proposed wages are 500k a week. BBC, sourcing Luckhurst, don't quote a price but say United would like to accept.

Bite their hand off. Is he open to a move though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How do Chinese grannies look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sky sources aka ed Woodwards pr company have said no offer has been received.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I don't want Mourinho....I can't believe that he is the only person who could fix it but I suppose the problem I see is that do we have the people in charge making the decisions to find a guy, who maybe isn't immediately obvious to the likes of us?
    Like the football consultancy branch of the board appears to be SAF and SBC (maybe there are more?)...do they have their finger on the pulse of every league in Europe, knowing the up and coming managers? David Gill maybe still has an input...
    Ed's tactic appears to be big names for big dough (LVG included) which is all well and good for a bit of a buzz on transfer deadline day but it may not be what we need at this point in time.

Like from my own perspective, with the EPL being the league I am most familiar with I would put the contenders (other than Mourinho) as Pochetino, Hughes and I really like the gatch of Eddie Howe... Giggs is obviously a contender for other reasons.

I'm going to assume that a global company like UNited has such a list from every league...

Ironically I think a great person to pick the next coach would be LVG, with his acumen, publicly he has said Giggs but if you gave him his pick of Europe he might come up with someone different.

Lord TSC wrote: »

With this news and his injury, he might not reach or exceed Bobby Charltons goal scoring record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

jose was in romans pocket.....

that was obvious.. give him the funds and free reign at a club and i am confident he will bring success back.

the next few weeks are critical lvg needs to be shown door now no more nice ceo and bring the mercenary in..... we need to be ruthless.

Agreed. Dangle the offer of having the control Fergie had and the opportunity of creating his own dynasty, (which he was never going to get second time round at Chelsea, and 3 years in the job is as near as you get to a dynasty at Real) and it's a different ball game for Jose. One he would relish and thrive on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sigh.

Its all so predictably inept from United, on every level. Woodward, LVG and the players should all be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

zorro2566 wrote: »
    With this news and his injury, he might not reach or exceed Bobby Charltons goal scoring record.

Good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I really don't see the problem with Woodward and why people are trying to blame the current form on him. I'm sure he wasn't the only person on the board that wanted LVG. LVG was a proven manager off the back of a good performance in the World Cup. He brought in LVG and gave him lots of money to spend and when things haven't gone very well he's stuck by the manager.

I think he is right to stick with LVG at least until the end of the season and if things don't work out with LVG and a new manager is brought in i think Woodward would work well with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I really don't see the problem with Woodward and why people are trying to blame the current form on him. I'm sure he wasn't the only person on the board that wanted LVG. LVG was a proven manager off the back of a good performance in the World Cup. He brought in LVG and gave him lots of money to spend and when things haven't gone very well he's stuck by the manager.

I think he is right to stick with LVG at least until the end of the season and if things don't work out with LVG and a new manager is brought in i think Woodward would work well with them.
    I think you've mixed up your location. You ARE the crazy person on the bus.

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I think you've mixed up your location. You ARE the crazy person on the bus.

Very good gotta give you that one. Can i ask why you think Woodward is to blame? do you think both him and LVG should go?

• Took me a while to get this post together....

Only got home to see the last 10 minutes of the game.
    Nothing surprised me about the result.

I have tried to stay as positive as possible through all of this mess but at this stage I'm just drained.
    I feel awful thinking about the club I support for so long.
    Probably the lowest point since the end of the Moyes era and arguably worse.
    I'm really struggling to determine what the hell the Board is up to at this stage.
    I would actually agree that a protest may be required at this stage for something to change because this will continue.

But what that change is has not been fully fleshed out.
    Fans need to stop and think about Jose as the next manager.
    Everybody want's change but arguably the majority of fans judgement on Jose is being clouded because they just want LVG gone out the door and have this pre-conceived notion that he can immediately turn water to wine which will ultimately lead to more disappointment.

At this stage it can't get any lower for me.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fans need to stop and think about Jose as the next manager.
    Everybody want's change but arguably the majority of fans judgement on Jose is being clouded because they just want LVG gone out the door and have this pre-conceived notion that he can immediately turn water to wine which will ultimately lead to more disappointment.

I'd agree with you here, And i don't think fans are ever the right people to pick a manager. There are numerous examples of the most popular manager with the fans coming in and failing. I for one would hate to see Jose at Old Trafford unless he's in the opposition dugout frowning because he is getting beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Very good gotta give you that one. Can i ask why you think Woodward is to blame? do you think both him and LVG should go?

Van Gaal should have been gone a long long time ago, this isn't even up for debate, the man was a busted flush months ago and everybody knows it. So when something is so obvious to everybody and it isn't addressed by those with the authority its perfectly natural to wonder if those with the authority know what they are doing.

Van Gaal has been crap since he got here, if Woodward had accepted that reality 6 months ago and sacked him nobody would be here talking about Woodward making poor managerial choices. Fans know that every appointment is a risk, nobody would really blame Ed for an experienced manager making such a hash of things, they would move on and focus on the next manager.

But Woodward hasn't done anything, he is a rabbit frozen in the headlights. The guy who should have been sacked months ago is still in charge and to the surprise of nobody we are getting even worse. Why hasn't Woodward acted? How much better off would we be with a new manager able to motivate those players? Why have we not acted when this season was completely salvageable? Those questions are all on the man in authority here, one Ed Woodward.

There is a toddler taking a great big dump in the middle of a crowded room. No point shouting at the toddler, you need to ask what is the mother doing...

Woodward didn't work well with Moyes, and hasn't worked well with LVG - why the assumption he will work well with another manager?

Do you think LVG is going to turn around this seasons horrible form? If not, why not sack him - things are only getting worse under him imo and he should have been binned 2 months ago.

Under Woodwards stewardship of the club we have gone from champions to outside of the CL, twice. That isn't all his fault, obviously - but he has to accept blame for the current situation at United - ultimately he is in charge of the club on a day to day basis. Even beyond the first team the rest of the club is a joke - the scouting and youth scouting is terrible. There are some moves being made to partially rectify this, but even there we have massive question marks over what Woodward is doing.

It is insane to absolve Woodward of any blame for the mess United are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

His failure to act months ago, when it was becoming clear that we were in trouble.

The continuing failure to address the clear managerial issues.

Him and him alone has to shoulder that.

At this stage LVG needs to go, we need a director of football and Ed should stay in the boardroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't blame Woodward for the current form but I blame him for f*cking up every transfer window and failing to bring in the standard of player the club needs, he doesn't give the manager money to spend it's Woodward who conducts the deals and he's been unacceptably incompetent in a crucial role. Also he's failed to appoint the right manager, at a unique time when some of the world's best coaches are available he's off signing up sponsors. :mad:

It's clear his priority is to make money for the Glazers and football side of club has been neglected either willfully or through incompetence which ever way you look at it.

Unfortunately he's the Glazer's boy so we're stuck with him until there's a change of ownership at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I wouldn't sell Rooney for 27mil, sure Ramires was 25. Maybe for 40/50. Rooney is the one of the very few global marketing stars of our team. Getting rid of him would only make us less appealing to attracting top players than we already are. And that is aside to his talent and leadership that players Iook up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't sell Rooney for 27mil, sure Ramires was 25. Maybe for 40/50. Rooney is the one of the very few global marketing stars of our team. Getting rid of him would only make us less appealing to attracting top players than we already are. And that is aside to his talent and leadership that players Iook up to.

Id agree with that, Rooney should be double that of an average Ramires.

Korat wrote: »
    Unfortunately he's the Glazer's boy so we're stuck with him until there's a change of ownership at the club.

Don't agree with all of that - the side LVG started last season with should have done better, and it was his own decisions that cost him, imo. Shouldn't have sold Rafael, and should have got far more out of players like Di Maria and RVP.

Also, there are rumours that Woodward could be getting some 'help' before next season.

• Advertisement

• Pheonix10 wrote: »

It's a catch 22 though.

Rooney stays he has to be main man. 31 this time next season? You could argue he's in decline at this stage.
    He will go though bursts of greatness and dips of poor form and will continue to get niggly injuries.

We need to start getting the next big replacement in for him but how do you keep him at the club & satisfied at the same time thus keeping that marketing aspect at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's a catch 22 though.

Rooney stays he has to be main man. 31 this time next season? You could argue he's in decline at this stage.
    He will go though bursts of greatness and dips of poor form and will continue to get niggly injuries.

We need to start getting the next big replacement in for him but how do you keep him at the club & satisfied at the same time thus keeping that marketing aspect at the club.

I know we defo need to a replacement but there aren't many great options...who would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Ibra for a year lads? or all out for Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Injuries have killed us this season but I believe part of that is self-inflicted. I looked at last nights team and though to myself who we could have had on the pitch. Rafael at RB, Evans at CB, Nani, Welbeck (although I wasn't against him going and given who we had at the time it made sense for him to go) and Chicharito. The squad could have been far stronger than it is right now and we wouldn't have to throw young inexperienced lads in so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lets ignore everything else here and focus on one crucial aspect -

do you honestly believe any other club in the world would allow the current run to continue without action, for the last 3 months?

out of europe
    out of league cup
    out of top 4 and more likely to finish 9th or 10th if the current results continue.
    18 points dropped against the worst team in the league.
    lowest points total in our PL history.
    worst football seen at the club since 1974.
    2nd worst goal scoring record since the team was relegated in 1974.
    about to have 3 years without a trophy for the first time in 27 years.

now, do you not think that Woodward deserves immense criticism for allowing this mess to get worse and worse and worse?

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I know we defo need to a replacement but there aren't many great options...who would you go for?

Kane.
    Lewandowski.
    Aubameyang.
    Icardi.
    Dybala.
    Higuain.
    Lukaku.
    Griezmann.
    Cavanni.
    Lacazette.

Rooney hasn't be a top world star in terms of actual performances in a long time - there are many players who could effectively replace him. Not even just that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

You seem to have trouble distinguishing between me stating the fact that we are injury ravaged and blaming the result on it.

I said it was a poor preformance, you seem to ignore that though.

Thats where reason and logic comes into it and where lots of people on here struggle. Its either all out revolt against LVG and woodward or your a fanboy. The your with is us or against our opinions is laughable

Here is a mad concept, lets see can you grasp it. You don't have to pick between injury crisis and poor preformance when it comes to poor results, it can be a combination of both, actually in can be a mixture of a lot of things.

Woodward didn't work well with Moyes, and hasn't worked well with LVG - why the assumption he will work well with another manager?

Do you think LVG is going to turn around this seasons horrible form? If not, why not sack him - things are only getting worse under him imo and he should have been binned 2 months ago.

Under Woodwards stewardship of the club we have gone from champions to outside of the CL, twice. That isn't all his fault, obviously - but he has to accept blame for the current situation at United - ultimately he is in charge of the club on a day to day basis. Even beyond the first team the rest of the club is a joke - the scouting and youth scouting is terrible. There are some moves being made to partially rectify this, but even there we have massive question marks over what Woodward is doing.

It is insane to absolve Woodward of any blame for the mess United are in.

Yes i think Woodward could work well with a new manager, what does a manager want from a chairman? he wants money to buy players mainly and Woodward gives that and seems to give managers his full support.
    Regarding the club falling from Champions to outside the CL places under his stewardship let's not forget the biggest reason this happened and that's Ferguson leaving. And Moyes was Ferguson's man not Woodward's.

Do i think LVG can turn the season around? Yes i think he has a chance and this is probably where 90% of Utd fans will disagree with me but they are 6 points outside the CL spots. Maybe a couple of seasons ago this would have been too much but in a league where everyone is dropping points and there are 36 points to play for i think there is a chance and that's why i'd give him until the end of the season

I don't know much about the youth scouting but we seem to be bringing young players through to the first team at the moment. Perhaps sometimes too soon but maybe injuries can be blamed on that.

Maybe i'm an optimist but i think LVG is a very good manager who has made some mistakes but has the ability to turn it around.I think the biggest problem with the Utd job is the pressure from the press, It's like they don't have an England manager to harass so LVG will do for now and i think that pressure will cause him to leave or be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

while its clear that many people on here have finally seen the reality with Woodward, i am actually astounded that theirs still people here who fail to see he has blame in this entire scenario - the all our support for him and refusing to apportion any blame what so ever towards him, is one of the most bizzare things ive ever seen related to the club.

LVG is the main culprit but the players and Woodward are accountable also. no matter what business or sport you are in, if they business/club is spiraling into mediocrity with its results in its main stream (in this case football), then the man at the top comes into question.

• Advertisement

• Pheonix10 wrote: »

There are more viable options that you may think;
    Kane / Lukaku / Di Natale / Icardi / Aduriz / Ighalo / Eder / Higuan / Santos / Cavani / Vardy /

If we are to discuss marketing power as well as quality go higher and get Neymar / Bale / Ronaldo / Ibrahimovic / Lewandowski or somebody of that calibre.

If you were to look at the next best British it's got to be Kane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement