Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Off topic, but what are some of the long running failed transfer sagas you remember at United (whether there was substance to the rumours or not)? Just popped into my mind that Mourinho could be the latest addition.

Kluivert and Batistuta are the two earliest ones I remember. Kevin Hofland was also linked to us for years.

More recently there was Ronaldinho, Robben, Sneijder, Fabregas, Pedro, Hazard, Benzema, Ramos, Lucas Moura. I think Nasri was strongly linked for a while too. What big ones am I forgetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Off topic, but what are some of the long running failed transfer sagas you remember at United (whether there was substance to the rumours or not)? Just popped into my mind that Mourinho could be the latest addition.

Kluivert and Batistuta are the two earliest ones I remember. Kevin Hofland was also linked to us for years.

More recently there was Ronaldinho, Robben, Sneijder, Fabregas, Pedro, Hazard, Benzema, Ramos, Lucas Moura. I think Nasri was strongly linked for a while too. What big ones am I forgetting?

Not that big but...

Gaitan and Garay have both signed for Utd on numerous occasions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

madcabbage wrote: »
    Would it not be better to take over now? He'll have less time to work with the squad with the Euros in the summer as well as the fact that he'd know what players he needs and doesn't need transfer wise.

Personally I wouldn't be the slightest surprised if there's been zero contact from the club or if there's going to be any at all!

In a realistic world id imagine it would be better to take over sooner but at the end of the day we are in a situation where we are heading for our worst season in 30 plus years and the club are sticking by a manager that seems now to have lost the players and for some reason or other they are not pulling the trigger on him so really we haven't a clue why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Had we kept Evans, Rafael, Nani and Hernandez for example, we'd be in Much better shape

Some people (I'm on the fence) think all these players weren't good enough for United and\or in terrible form.

Others say, I've seen it a bit int he press... if we had less injuries some would argue we'd be 10-12 points better off now.

But yes ifs and ands were pots and pans etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Off topic, but what are some of the long running failed transfer sagas you remember at United (whether there was substance to the rumours or not)?

Utd were linked with David Hirst the entire summer before we got Cantona. How different things might have been if that deal had gone through. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Nalz wrote: »
    Some people (I'm on the fence) think all these players weren't good enough for United and\or in terrible form

And many people would say Valencia, Mcnair, Lingard, Fellaini, Jones and a lot of the young lads that were promoted to make are nowhere near United standard.

I think we all would like(whether we admit it or not) experienced and proven players with multiple PL titles between them in our squad right now, as opposed to a bunch of average players who have achieved very little.

It was a cost cutting exercise that played a big in putting us into this mess.

U18 doing well 2 nill up gibbon looking good

jayo26 wrote: »
    U18 doing well 2 nill up gibbon looking good

Change of manager!!

Change of manager!!

Haha yehh i didnt wanna say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Dean Henderson, a 19 year old keeper, has been recalled from loan ahead of the FA Cup match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Dean Henderson, a 19 year old keeper, has been recalled from loan ahead of the FA Cup match.

I thought it be Sam Jonestone

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I thought it be Sam Jonestone

Everyone at once, what's the magic word?

Injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Everyone at once, what's the magic word?

Three

thats actually the magic number, yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

I honestly think people who believe Mourinho is the answer are allowing their judgement to be clouded by their eagerness to get rid of LVG.

Objectively look at Mourinho - the old line, "he is a serial winner for 1-2 seasons" but if people want that for our club,
    you are being incredibly short sighted.

People seem to forget his answers to Barca were to kick them in their air, in the last 14 years - he has the 13th (twice) 12th lowest scorers for a title winning team in the PL.

His historic mistrust in a. YOUNG players b. WIDE PLAYERS -where does that leave our realistic future in Martial & Depay

The man is a disgusting individual who thinks only of himself and his weasel agent friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Can I put a potential new managers name in the mix. What about Mark Hughes who is doing fantastic work at Stoke and although he took over City and played for Chelsea he is still a fans favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I honestly think people who believe Mourinho is the answer are allowing their judgement to be clouded by their eagerness to get rid of LVG.

Objectively look at Mourinho - the old line, "he is a serial winner for 1-2 seasons" but if people want that for our club,

People seem to forget his answers to Barca were to kick them in their air, in the last 14 years - he has the 13th (twice) 12th lowest scorers for a title winning team in the PL.

His historic mistrust in a. YOUNG players b. WIDE PLAYERS -where does that leave our realistic future in Martial & Depay

The man is a disgusting individual who thinks only of himself and his weasel agent friend.

so he won the title is what you are saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Alot of this post is wrong but iv highlighted the above because its stands out to me. Alex Ferguson cared more about his horses and money than the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

There wasn't much mention of Romero after the last game.

I think he surprised a lot of people with his athleticism and his footwork and also his delivery was excellent. A very good second option but a keeper of his quality should be playing regularly.

One thing for sure is that the GK coaches at United are quality :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think he surprised a lot of people with his athleticism and his footwork and also his delivery was excellent. A very good second option but a keeper of his quality should be playing regularly.

One thing for sure is that the GK coaches at United are quality :cool:

The people who he surprised have obviously never seen him play. Like all keepers, he is prone to the odd howler but overall he is really excellent. I would wager he is the best number 2 in the league. Him or Ospina anyway.

Alot of reason why people want mourinho is because pep is gone and carlo and klopp are gone and jose is in that group no doubt about it.

Yhh jose brings success for a year or two but that's exactly what we need we need someone to think short term get the club back on track or else it be another 2 or 4 years before we near winner ng anything.

At least he had an answer to Barca not many other managers do so I can't see how thats a negative and also winning the league with a slightly lower goals for is hardley anything to be negative about??

If a player is good enough they will shine he did well with hazzard for two years before and he was wide as was Willian.

And yehh mourinho is a bit of a discusting person but if it gets the club back on top ill accept that. Keane was discusting too but I loved him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Kirby wrote: »
    The people who he surprised have obviously never seen him play. Like all keepers, he is prone to the odd howler but overall he is really excellent. I would wager he is the best number 2 in the league. Him or Ospina anyway.

I don't think many could say they have watched him a handful of times but if De Gea leaves this summer, I wouldn't be too upset if Romero was our new no1 granted he plays like he did and improves even further. He is only 28 years old as well!

billyhead wrote: »
    Can I put a potential new managers name in the mix. What about Mark Hughes who is doing fantastic work at Stoke and although he took over City and played for Chelsea he is still a fans favourite

Has been mentioned a fair bit, but the reality is he's having one decent season at a small club. if he wasn't a "fan favorite" (read: former player), his name wouldn't be mentioned at all.

Think most agreed he was our MOTM. Without him, we'd have lost 5-1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Romero is a clanger waiting to happen, good #2 but not good enough for a club looking to win titles.

Kirby wrote: »

Id say begovic is probably the best but romeo aint a bad keeper your right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Romero did well on Thursday - but I won't be forgetting his poor perfomances at the start of the season. Poor on crosses, kicking very poor, control poor and let in a couple DDG would have saved. Talk of him being the best backup in the league is a little fanciful after 1 good performance.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Id say begovic is probably the best but romeo aint a bad keeper your right.

I'd rate Ospina higher, really got shafted by the press, some of his performances at international level have been superb.

beno619 wrote: »
    I'd rate Ospina higher, really got shafted by the press, some of his performances at international level have been superb.

Fair enough, its hard to judge a keeper as you have to take defence in front of him and shots thrown at him into account too.

Romero is a clanger waiting to happen, good #2 but not good enough for a club looking to win titles.

he is as good as you can get for a #2!

i dont think we'd be much worse less off if we didt have DDG this season - last season he made a huge difference but this season we are so s*it all over the pitch and the results have been so poor, it doesnt matter who would have been in goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Romero played in goals in the last WC and helped get his team to the final. No he is not as good as De Gea, but he is one of the best in the world none the less.
    He is a good player to have at the club.

Meanwhile Spanish newspaper Sport are saying United have made contract with Aymeric Laporte. The newspaper claims he is one of the players that Mourinho wants. Barcelona also want him.

Aubameyang wants to play for Real Madrid as his grandfather is from Spain, and he told him before he died, he would play there.

RobertKK wrote: »

Meanwhile Spanish newspaper Sport are saying United have made contract with Aymeric Laporte. The newspaper claims he is one of the players that Mourinho wants. Barcelona also want him.

Aubameyang wants to play for Real Madrid as his grandfather is from Spain, and he told him before he died, he would play there.

without CL football to offer players, i fear that once again, its going to be a frustrating summer.

Di Maria didnt want to sign for us but didnt have any choice really as Real wanted him out and nobody could afford him, same for Falcao. will there be players in a similiar situation who will sign only due to money this summer??? who knows, but do we really want these type of players signing for us, and ending up not working out?

we maybe able to sign players from non CL clubs,but so far these players have not been able to make the step up to United in the last 2 years. but expecting us to sign big names this summer is unrealistic in my opinion.

we need at least 5 players (Center Back, Winger and striker, together with a back up right back and pacey creative player thought the middle) in this summer, which will become 6, 7, 8 depending on how many leave.

Mahrez, Griezemann, Laporte, Lukaku/Aubameyang would be a great summer but wouldnt be expecting any of them to sign for us. the likelyhood is that like the last 3 summer we wont solve our issues in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Would Lukaku sign for us if Jose is at the helm?

ElChe32 wrote: »

Gave an interview a few weeks back where he said there is no problems between the two, that Jose was understanding about his move away, and that there would be no problems playing under him. Read, to me, as a "come and get me" from him....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

ElChe32 wrote: »

What about Zlatan? Dare to Zlat? Can't see Everton selling him at any cost.

madcabbage wrote: »
    What about Zlatan? Dare to Zlat? Can't see Everton selling him at any cost.

Zlatan is out of contract this summer. Isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Don't get me wrong but we are currently chasing Europa league spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Zlatan is out of contract this summer. Isn't he?

Get him on a free transfer, would be mad not to! :)

Don't get me wrong but we are currently chasing Europa league spot

at this stand, unless we have a drastic change in our furtunes and result, we could and probably will finish 10th or 11th.

Southampton, West Ham and Liverpool are going to pass us out soon and Chelsea will pip us too before end of the season.

ouch...
    SemperFiUnited ‏@SemperFiUnited 48m48 minutes ago
    United players return to training

Midtjylland players return to farming

Difference is one set of players earn their living

without CL football to offer players, i fear that once again, its going to be a frustrating summer.

Di Maria didnt want to sign for us but didnt have any choice really as Real wanted him out and nobody could afford him, same for Falcao. will there be players in a similiar situation who will sign only due to money this summer??? who knows, but do we really want these type of players signing for us, and ending up not working out?

we maybe able to sign players from non CL clubs,but so far these players have not been able to make the step up to United in the last 2 years. but expecting us to sign big names this summer is unrealistic in my opinion.

we need at least 5 players (Center Back, Winger and striker, together with a back up right back and pacey creative player thought the middle) in this summer, which will become 6, 7, 8 depending on how many leave.

Mahrez, Griezemann, Laporte, Lukaku/Aubameyang would be a great summer but wouldnt be expecting any of them to sign for us. the likelyhood is that like the last 3 summer we wont solve our issues in the team.

It depends.

Neymar whom Ed wants would want CL football. He would have to make him easily the highest paid in the world.
    If United want quality and we have no CL, then the wages will have to compensate players of top quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

It's only a matter of when. Summer I'd imagine though would prefer sooner

Romero played in goals in the last WC and helped get his team to the final. No he is not as good as De Gea, but he is one of the best in the world none the less.
    He is a good player to have at the club.

He really isn't, he only played because Argentina have a poor standard of goal keeper.

This is a guy who couldn't get a game for a mid table seria A side.

I'd much rather have Valdes but Romero is a decent #2.

He really isn't, he only played because Argentina have a poor standard of goal keeper.

This is a guy who couldn't get a game for a mid table seria A side.

I'd much rather have Valdes but Romero is a decent #2.

You need a good goalkeeper to make it to the final of the WC. Then again at the Copa America.

Too many games, for him not to be among the best, otherwise he would be letting the rest of the team down when under pressure in a game.

Romero is a very good number 2.

You need a good goalkeeper to make it to the final of the WC. Then again at the Copa America.

Too many games, for him not to be among the best, otherwise he would be letting the rest of the team down when under pressure in a game.

Romero is a very good number 2.

Average players and teams have won cup competitions.

Dudek won the CL with Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You need a good goalkeeper to make it to the final of the WC.

Stekelenberg got to the final in 2010 - is he even a decent keeper, let alone a good one?

Romero is a very good keeper. he made a right balls of the Swansea winner, but the player was only 6 yards out when he struck it.

apart from that and one error against Boro (in which he was our best player) he has been solid. he has played 8 times and in the 2 games we lost, he was MOM for us in one of them. he was solid as a wall in 6 of the other 7 so overall he has been a very good signing for us and i am glad we have him.

he saved us from being completely batter on thursday.

Romero is a very good keeper. he made a right balls of the Swansea winner, but the player was only 6 yards out when he struck it.

apart from that and one error against Boro (in which he was our best player) he has been solid. he has played 8 times and in the 2 games we lost, he was MOM for us in one of them. he was solid as a wall in 6 of the other 7 so overall he has been a very good signing for us and i am glad we have him.

he saved us from being completely batter on thursday.

He is the best backup keeper we have had in quiet a few years basically. Valdez doesn't count as he was never going to be a number 2. I think van der gow was the last time we had a decent number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Stekelenberg got to the final in 2010 - is he even a decent keeper, let alone a good one?

Stekelenberg was/is a very good keeper and very highly rated by many. IIRC he was linked to us a bit a few years ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Average players and teams have won cup competitions.

Dudek won the CL with Liverpool.

Doesmt Djimi fackin Traore have a CL wimmers medal too!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement