Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

Pro. F wrote: »
    Of course I took umbrage.

I didn't mean it as a dig at the forum, it was more the **** in the press I was both annoyed and hungover going through the thread and seeing the back pages of the rags and docs posts stood out.

I worded it wrong and I apologise if I caused any offence.

Of course, ye all have lovely brains

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    I find it bizzare that some people had enough of Van Gaal after the Norwich result and are now back on board because of a press conference.

Talk is cheap. Anyone can talk the talk but they need to walk the walk.

The naysayers have been accused by some of being fickle fans yet I cant think of anything more fickle than deciding it was time the manager went because of the results and performances and then change your mind a few days later, with no football played, because of a press conference, where it is perceived he gave it to the press.

People want to be optimistic, all of us who are naturally optimistic will be down for a time if again the result is not good.
    I think what Andy Mitten had to say would suggest Van Gaal is going nowhere in the near term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Anyway hopefully it's the beginning of the end for Louis.

Don't think so. . .

Louis pulled it out of the bag yesterday and brought a lot of disillusioned fans back on board for the Stoke match. A victory on saturday will change things dramatically.

Considering his command of English is far from perfect he came across simultaneously as very hurt and yet firmly committed to putting things right whilst informing all that he has the support of those whose support he needs at the top of the club.

In many ways he was right to ask for an apology as it seems perfectly clear that they made up the two games story.

This does not take from the importance of the next two games. . . Lose them both and he's screwed. . . . But what the media claimed was not entirely the case.

It also seems to me that the media would love Mourinho in the Man U job as they love him. . . He fills the back pages and provides a lot of material for those journos.

For Louis. . It's down to the players now.

PS - Someone tell Giggs to stay on the bench this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'm not sure why guys who thought the squad management was poor and that it was thin think they are oh so correct now... yes we have injuries but the teams we are putting out should be well capable of getting the results we should have got against say psv, Bournemouth and Norwich.
    Varela and Jackson having to play wasn't ideal, but it's not the type of thing that is completely unheard of.

Selling/loaning players and squad management ain't the issue with us currently.

I liked Nani... but Jesus how long are we going to be pining for the Nan of 4 or 5 years ago, it wasn't just lvg that couldn't get him to recapture his form.

And Chicharito would not be scoring for us the way he is for Bayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

RobertKK wrote: »
    People want to be optimistic, all of us who are naturally optimistic will be down for a time if again the result is not good.
    I think what Andy Mitten had to say would suggest Van Gaal is going nowhere in the near term.

Which is all cool. I want to be optimistic too. I want Utd to do well, to get positive results and be challenging for major honours.

A press conference would not flip my opinion on whether a manager should stay or go, if I held an opinion on it before the presser. It just seems a fickle way of thinking to me.

Anyway my opinion remains unchanged. Van Gaal is a busted flush at Utd and will be relived of his duties or walk of his own accord. It's a matter of when rather than if for me. The long game will drag it out until the summer. The wise move would be now, presuming a suitable replacement is ready to go(Jose), making the change before the January window, which would make sense both from a time point of view and financial point of view, not to mention squad point of view.

My guess would be that this will drag on toward spring(ala Moyes) and he will eventually be removed.

The only caveat I would throw in is there seems to be already a fairly vocal minority at Old Trafford games who have lost faith with him and his brand of football. If the form were to continue I could see this growing quite quickly and that may hasten his exit.

The least likely of scenarios I see is Van Gaal being in charge of Utd next season.

Which is all cool. I want to be optimistic too. I want Utd to do well, to get positive results and be challenging for major honours.

A press conference would not flip my opinion on whether a manager should stay or go, if I held an opinion on it before the presser. It just seems a fickle way of thinking to me.

Anyway my opinion remains unchanged. Van Gaal is a busted flush at Utd and will be relived of his duties or walk of his own accord. It's a matter of when rather than if for me. The long game will drag it out until the summer. The wise move would be now, presuming a suitable replacement is ready to go(Jose), making the change before the January window, which would make sense both from a time point of view and financial point of view, not to mention squad point of view.

My guess would be that this will drag on toward spring(ala Moyes) and he will eventually be removed.

The only caveat I would throw in is there seems to be already a fairly vocal minority at Old Trafford games who have lost faith with him and his brand of football. If the form were to continue I could see this growing quite quickly and that may hasten his exit.

The least likely of scenarios I see is Van Gaal being in charge of Utd next season.

It will be bad if we lose to Stoke. I think Ed will do his best for Van Gaal in the January transfer window = a new central defender and maybe Perez whom we are linked to quite a lot over recent weeks.
    I think we sign at least two players.
    Then if that doesn't work, LVG will be in trouble, but he will be given time is my opinion.

I thought he was going, was going to be sacked, I just hope he turns it around as I think he stays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Massive Game for LVG tomorrow.
    Lose and he will most likely be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RobertKK wrote: »
    It will be bad if we lose to Stoke. I think Ed will do his best for Van Gaal in the January transfer window = a new central defender and maybe Perez whom we are linked to quite a lot over recent weeks.
    I think we sign at least two players.
    Then if that doesn't work, LVG will be in trouble, but he will be given time is my opinion.

I thought he was going, was going to be sacked, I just hope he turns it around as I think he stays.

It must be very hard to trust LVG with alot of money again after the awful summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Massive Game for LVG tomorrow.
    Lose and he will most likely be sacked.

Wow, have we a game on Christmas day????

Sorry couldn't resist...

I don't blame ye though cos I've no idea what day it is. But sure isn't that the norm for Christmas anyways ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If Louis doesn't get sacked he shouldn't be given any money in January.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Change the record mate
    Its getting boring now

You don't like LVG, fine no problem, we get it...

So if he wants to improve the results he's not allowed improve his team if he can....

We'll dang it why don't we just tie his hands behind his back.....

And lambast him for not changing things up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah because that would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Headshot wrote: »
    It must be very hard to trust LVG with alot of money again after the awful summer.

Who do you think shouldn't have been signed?

Liam O wrote: »

Wait for it, cos it'll be a case of who he sold and didn't sign...
    Regardless of whether deals could've been done or not...

Some supporters will use any excuse in the book to blame a manager

Oh he's going after Ramos... oh well that's stupid.. we'll never get him... then its oh we lack ambition by not bidding for the best players in the world!!!!

You just can't win with some supporters no matter what is said or done...

Liam O wrote: »

Its the players he didnt sign unfortunately. It was a crap summer of spending overall.

Am I annoyed by the players that came in, no, not really. If im being harsh Schweinsteiger was a waste of money even for 6m because he's starting to many games and should be only a squad player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

brinty wrote: »
    Wait for it, cos it'll be a case of who he sold and didn't sign...
    Regardless of whether deals could've been done or not...

Some supporters will use any excuse in the book to blame a manager

Oh he's going after Ramos... oh well that's stupid.. we'll never get him... then its oh we lack ambition by not bidding for the best players in the world!!!!

You just can't win with some supporters no matter what is said or done...

You got examples of Headshot contradicting himself like that?

Its funny I always said Ramos is headless chicken and it using utd for a bigger contract.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That like a threat my mother use to make for not eating my dinner i wont get sweets..

Headshot wrote: »
    Its funny I always said Ramos is headless chicken and it using utd for a bigger contract.....

But I would presume you were generally consistent in how you thought the club should approach the market.

But I would presume you were generally consistent in how you thought the club should approach the market.

ya I think so alright

I was quite ****ing annoyed with the lack of strikers and CB's

• Advertisement

?????
    Why would I be thinking that???

Sorry slight touch of man flu so not sure if you're having a go or not...

That was more aimed at the likes of mr fury and meier who've been on a two man crusade...

Last summer wasn't ideal and I do agree a striker and CB would've been nice but maybe we couldn't get anything done that would've improved things. That's no excuse for LVG leaving us paper thin though... He's at fault entirely for that...

?????

Sorry slight touch of man flu so not sure if you're having a go or not...

That was more aimed at the likes of mr fury and meier who've been on a two man crusade...

Liam was talking to Headshot in the post you quoted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No point cutting off your nose to spite your face; if he is staying (or if he goes), we need to invest in a #10 and a right winger, and possibly a defender. Not doing so will only hurt the club.

?????

Almost all my friends who are United fans want him gone and my Liverpool friends want him kept, really can't understand this thread as it seems that 90% here want him kept on! Bizarre stuff, anyway happy Crimbo to all.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Liam was talking to Headshot in the post you quoted.

Agh get you now Pro F
    God no wasn't having a go at headshot at all, I was reffering to the vocal minority who are going against almost everyone else here and using every single stick they can to beat him with.
    I think the vast majority of people realize there were errors in the summer and with the style of play and would like to see LVG turn it round.
    But some posters want to hamstring him so he can't improve things by not giving him money....
    How dumb is that

Lord TSC wrote: »
    No point cutting off your nose to spite your face; if he is staying (or if he goes), we need to invest in a #10 and a right winger, and possibly a defender. Not doing so will only hurt the club.

Clubs in enough debt without spending more. Not one player has played to their potential this season especially all his signings, can't see why we should be signing more players who will under perform.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Clubs in enough debt without spending more. Not one player has played to their potential this season especially all his signings, can't see why we should be signing more players who will under perform.

Mike Smalling and Dave de gea say hello....

So you want a manager to improve everything and spend nothing....

Good job you're not managing the finances...

Ever heard of you have to spend a little to make a lot.....

And i'm a bloody accountant that's saying that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Players bought were fine, system they are playing is wrong.

Almost all my friends who are United fans want him gone and my Liverpool friends want him kept, really can't understand this thread as it seems that 90% here want him kept on! Bizarre stuff, anyway happy Crimbo to all.

We want him and the team to turn things around.

The debt is very manageable and money is not an issue for United, revenues are on an upward trajectory.
    We need to invest in more players now, can't wait till the summer to do so.

There's plenty of regular posters on here who are looking past LVG now and looking for the next manager. Loads of regular posters who have been saying they'd have preferred Ancelotti or would now prefer Mourinho. It's simply the case that the conversation being carried on by LVG's critics in this thread is more intelligent than the one you have been pursuing.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

best of luck, i hope ye win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

#outtabe****edlouis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Happy Christmas everybody hope ye all have a great one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Happy Christmas all, hopefully some good results coming our way now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Merry Xmas everyone I hope you're having a better day than I. In bed since 7am with winter vomiting bug while the wife and kids are enjoying life up the west :)

As an aside I really really hope LVG can turn it around. But I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Hopefully Stoke will partake in the season of goodwill and we will score several goals without conceding....

Happy Christmas to you all and may all your new year wishes come through. ... can only imagine how diverse they will be ! Be safe out there, have a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Players bought were fine, system they are playing is wrong.

The problem isn't necessarily who came in, it's the volume of players who left.

Regardless of who they were or what opinion people have of them, too many left too quick and out squad was left with 17 senior players including two young lads and then very average footballers such as Valencia, Fellaini and Jones.

We should have kept 3 players and left them off this summer but for some reason we got obsessed with getting rid of players and its come back to bite us, badly.

In terms of summer 2014, Di Maria and Falcao already left, Daley and Rojo are not exactly setting the world on fire, Shaw has been injured for most of his time here(though looked amazing this season) and Herrera ain't being played.

In fairness, weve spent £330m in two years and we've got a very average squad to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Happy Christmas everyone. Lets hope for a good game on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Van Gaal is a busted flush at Utd and will be relived of his duties or walk of his own accord. It's a matter of when rather than if for me. The long game will drag it out until the summer. The wise move would be now, presuming a suitable replacement is ready to go(Jose), making the change before the January window

This is the key thing - I don't necessarily object to the analysis that United are not playing successful, attacking football bringing young players through in keeping with the United Way (tm) with a manager who terrorises the media.

I just don't see how Mourinho addresses any of those weaknesses. If Pep Guardiola was to show up at Old Trafford tomorrow, I'd say sign him up. But Mourinho? That's just jumping on the latest quick fix. The media would love Mourinho taking over at United because it would quickly turn into a clickbait drama singularity.

But Mourinho couldnt get player of the season Eden Hazard to deliver better than poor-to-average performances or else he would not be available. He is suddenly going to rejuvenate Rooney and Mata, a player he already discarded? Nah. I don't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Sand wrote: »
    This is the key thing - I don't necessarily object to the analysis that United are not playing successful, attacking football bringing young players through in keeping with the United Way (tm) with a manager who terrorises the media.

I just don't see how Mourinho addresses any of those weaknesses. If Pep Guardiola was to show up at Old Trafford tomorrow, I'd say sign him up. But Mourinho? That's just jumping on the latest quick fix. The media would love Mourinho taking over at United because it would quickly turn into a clickbait drama singularity.

But Mourinho couldnt get player of the season Eden Hazard to deliver better than poor-to-average performances or else he would not be available. He is suddenly going to rejuvenate Rooney and Mata, a player he already discarded? Nah. I don't see it.

I think it's obvious that there was a complete breakdown in the relationship between Mourinho and his players this season, not just him failing to get the best out of Hazard. He had Chelsea playing great stuff for most of last season, and the season before they were playing better than United are now. He's a proven winner, especially in England. He love's English football, and it's no secret that he's keen on the United job. Mourinho for van Gaal is a good move in my opinion.

There's plenty of regular posters on here who are looking past LVG now and looking for the next manager. Loads of regular posters who have been saying they'd have preferred Ancelotti or would now prefer Mourinho. It's simply the case that the conversation being carried on by LVG's critics in this thread is more intelligent than the one you have been pursuing.

So you're saying a manager who has consistently delivered poor performances and plays a system which doesn't suit the players should to blow more money in January! Sorry if I'm ruining you're "intelligent conversation" but I call it as I see it. I'm sure over the last 4 seasons that there's a correlation between spending more money and poorer performances. Anyway thankfully he's said he's leaving at the end of next season.

He's talked the talk, let's see if performances improve.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I find it bizzare that some people had enough of Van Gaal after the Norwich result and are now back on board because of a press conference.

Talk is cheap. Anyone can talk the talk but they need to walk the walk.

The naysayers have been accused by some of being fickle fans yet I cant think of anything more fickle than deciding it was time the manager went because of the results and performances and then change your mind a few days later, with no football played, because of a press conference, where it is perceived he gave it to the press.

Is this the case? I'm genuinely asking because I might have missed some posts. From my experience, a lot of the fans who were still with L.V.G. to varying extents lost faith in the man last weekend. That defeat at home to Norwich, leaving us with a record of LLLDDD for the last six in all competitions and a C.L. exit in tow, was a step too far for quite a few of us. I and many others said some form of "Thanks but goodbye" in the last thread. I can't speak for anyone apart from myself, but it is possible that a percentage of those could have been knee-jerk/of the moment reactions and over the course of the last few days, those feelings have thawed and some fans are back into the 'L.V.G. in' line of thinking. Are there some who have been turned back because of a press conference?

Here's the thing for me; Last weekend was totally shít in football terms. I had put a lot of faith in L.V.G.'s abilities to get this team competing, then hopefully dominating, once again. Even after a loss away to Bournemouth, I figured if ever we were going to see a kickstart to the season, or any sign of an upturn, at home vs this Norwich side was the perfect opportunity. What I witnessed just left me empty inside, but the conclusion and aftermath felt worse; L.V.G. and United are not compatible, and I honestly would not be upset to see him replaced. Disappointed, yes, but not upset or surprised. I made my feelings clear in a post or two here at the time, and those feelings still ring true for me five days and a press conference later.

Once 48 or so hours passed from the Norwich defeat, and L.V.G. remained at the club, it became clear to me that the chances of him leaving before the next match were now very slim, so once he is still there I will support him and hope for the best for him. I.M.O. the time has now passed to get rid of him going into the next two games at the least, and it would only serve to hurt the club and the team's position in the league further.

After the Swansea game on January 2nd, there is a gap of seven days until the next game which is against Sheffield United on January 9th in the F.A. Cup. I think that after the Swansea match would be the time to replace the manager if the club are actually planning on doing it. It would give the new manager as much time as possible to train with the squad before a fixture against lower league opposition, with our next league game not coming until January 12th away to Newcastle. However, by the Swansea game L.V.G. could be gone anyway depending on the results against Stoke and Chelsea. Or, less likely on current evidence I know, he could have given himself and the team a life-line with two victories.

In the meantime though with no football played, I don't see the need to restate my thoughts or stamp each post I write with some kind of 'L.V.G. out' discourse. If I had taken offence at yesterday's press conference like others did, that may be different.

On the presser, I wouldn't have expected any different from him. His interviews and pressers have never been a problem for me. It's his failure to back-up that strong mentality with his team's performances on the pitch that is my problem. In the days leading up to the press conference, every man and woman facing L.V.G. in that room in Carrington drove a narrative about his departure - signed, sealed and delivered on every back page. Jose had a 5 year contract with United at one stage F.F.S.

He basically tried something impossible, to cut out all of the 'glamour' and the superstar aspect of the job and bring it back to a basic human level. Foolish given the circumstances, but non the less admirable and completely in line with what the man has previously displayed. If that was Mourinho after the current run of results, he'd be at the "no, not answering, nope, nothing to say" stage, while Moyes would be at the "we'll hope for the best and you never know, a bit of luck too" stage. Speaking of Moyes, being friendly with the media did him fúck-all good when it came down to it, so I don't see why Van Gaal should be licking their arses. It doesn't matter, they're vultures as they consistently prove. Whether they like you or not, once your time for the guillotine comes they will not try to make it any easier.

So it's not too clear-cut for me; While I have reached the conclusion that L.V.G.'s time at United is due, I still like the man and want to see him succeed. I will be cheering him and the team on this weekend first and foremost though for the three points, and not so that the manager can save his skin. For him to convince me that he can actually get something out of this team representative of the talent at his disposal, it will take more than a victory or two against Stoke and a weakened Chelsea. Maybe a month of positive results in January to make of for the horror show that was December would be a start. Who knows.

Anyway, Happy Christmas yis fúcks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think it's obvious that there was a complete breakdown in the relationship between Mourinho and his players this season, not just him failing to get the best out of Hazard. He had Chelsea playing great stuff for most of last season, and the season before they were playing better than United are now. He's a proven winner, especially in England. He love's English football, and it's no secret that he's keen on the United job. Mourinho for van Gaal is a good move in my opinion.

Eh, past December Chelsea were atrocious for most of last season. Absolutely atrocious. They only took the title because they built up such a strong lead in 2014 and no side was able to peg them back no matter how poor they were. Their performance this season was not a shock, it was simply a continuation of their form through 2015. He finished his Chelsea career in the relegation zone. It is the worst title defence since Blackburn - in fact, without checking I would guess it was worse than Blackburn. He is a manager with a past record of success and a present record of failure.

Mourinhos transfer window in the summer was shocking - singing Falcao? A player discarded by LVG with no complaints from anyone. Even with hindsight, no wise all seeing fans are claiming they could see Falcao scoring goals for fun if he was retained. His big coup was hijacking Pedro, a player discarded by LVG who has been shockingly average for Chelsea bar his first headline winning game.

Is Mourinho the man to restore full flowing attacking football? Nah, the guy not only views football as a results business, he seems to have a peverse enjoyment in winning with ugly, desperate football to annoy and irritate football purists. The perfect Mourinho victory is a 1-0 with one shot on target and the opposition completely stymied.

Is he the guy to suddenly start playing an attacking 4 of Mata, Martial, Herrera and Memphis? Nope. You can get used to seeing long balls to Fellaini as Plan A, not Plan B.

Will he bring youth players through? Nope. Never has, very little chance he will suddenly start now.

Will he suddenly start ruling the press conferences? Nope - the man is a figure of pity and amusement with his second rate Fergie impressions railing against referee conspiracies.

I mean if people were to come out and say LVG is playing boring, unsuccessful football and here is manager X who is going to playing entertaining, attacking successful football I would say - okay, there is a point to discuss. But replacing LVG with Mourinho? You might as well replace cream with beige. I do not see the upgrade from replacing a manager who is at the top end of the table with a manager from the bottom end of the table who loves negative, boring football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We are all football fans so I hope you guys don't mind me too much. Happy Christmas to you and all your families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

niallo27 wrote: »
    We are all football fans so I hope you guys don't mind me too much. Happy Christmas to you and all your families.

Same to you and yours m8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Merry Christmas to ye all, hope the dinner goes down well tomorrow, along with the beer and that we won't be here discussing a meltdown on Stephens Day :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Merry Christmas footy folk. Look after yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Happy Christmas my United brethren :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Is it just me that hates how everyone posts a happy xmas message.

I dont wanna have to go through several pages of that!

Sorry !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement