Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Glenn Hoddle

That is all

Generally all by sports motm are terrible always an english player. Martial and two Schs were better then Rooney, rooney played ok I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Dreadful miss from Rooney. No excuse for that. On a plate for him. All he had to do was keep it down. Rooney cost us two points today

Ah here. Think that is extremely harsh. Was a great chance but came in at a very high speed and awkward height and positioning for him to hit it with that speed.

Most players in that situation would end with the same result of it being sky'd. To point the figure at him for us failing to win and saying he cost us two points is extremely harsh and a bit ridiculous I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rooney's miss getting criticised but the golden boy, Herrera, missing from 2 yards out, isn't?

The discussion was about how Rooney got MOTM. Had Herrera got it, it would have been the same discussion.

Why is the counter arguement to people giving out about Rooney "But X player also had a bad game!" as if that somehow makes Rooney's game ok? Its like people can't defend Rooney, so just try to shift discussion to other players....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I agree Chelsea haven't been good lately and were weakened, but we are on a terrible string of performances losing to likes of teams doing not much better (some worse) such as West Brom, Norwich, Bournemouth.

I'm fully aware of the struggles Chelsea have had, but surely you can't deny that it is a fair statement to say the performance was improved greatly compared to previous ones of late.

And to be honest I'd credit the improvement largely to having Smalling Blind back in CB with Schneiderlin and Bastian back in midfield.

We can't judge improvement against Chelsea, I'm sorry we just can't. At the end of the day, football is about results and and we only have 3 wins in 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    Jesus they are talking some ****e on BT.

Rooney was so brilliant, he played much better, but nothing he shouldn't be doing every game, if he had scored then fair enough for all the praise they gave him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hope that doesn't put an end to the LVG saga; fear it will buy him more time sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Ref talk for a second: commentary was going on about the two penalty claims, saying Martin Atkinson never gives them unless he's absolutely sure or some ****e like that. In reality he's given Chelsea soft penalties for years.

On to the match, we created **** and all the entire second half. Same old ****e again. We've gone from the heady days of grabbing wins in the big games and struggling to get the points against the weaker sides, with some draws in there to drawing in the big games and losing to the also rans. 3 wins in 15 now. That's the worst run of form for Utd in my lifetime.

We badly need to act too. If we end up twiddling our thumbs and the board hesitates for fear of looking stupid by sacking a manager they backed at the start of the month, we run a serious risk of Mourinho ending up back at Real and with Utd once again left holding their dicks. Benitez is on the brink and Perez is keen to bring Mourinho back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Main question from today; how much did we improve by and how **** were Chelsea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Started off well for 25 mins and after that it felt like we wouldn't score. Not good enough really. Thought Herrera was good, should have scored. De Gea also but that's a given at this stage. Rooney wasn't too bad, incredibly harsh to blame him for not winning the game.

• Advertisement

• sky88 wrote: »
    Generally all by sports motm are terrible always an english player. Martial and two Schs were better then Rooney, rooney played ok I thought.

Playing OK is not good enough

He missed the winning chance. For a man earning 300,000 a week he can **** right off

His form has been woeful all season and I have defended him for so long but enough is enough

He should have been sent off ffs

Not good enough

edgecutter wrote: »
    We can't judge improvement against Chelsea, I'm sorry we just can't. At the end of the day, football is about results and and we only have 3 wins in 15.

I'm not suggesting that the performance today is going to lead to anything I'm just simply stating that (Chelseas injury problems and current season taken into account) the players performances today were better than what we saw in the last two/three games. Surely that can be agreed upon.

And I agree football is all about results, however a month and a bit ago when we were top that didn't stop people complaining about boring or poor performances.

Results are the most important things but of course we will always still talk about performances and manner of the results.

Louis saying he is not resigning.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The discussion was about how Rooney got MOTM. Had Herrera got it, it would have been the same discussion.

Why is the counter arguement to people giving out about Rooney "But X player also had a bad game!" as if that somehow makes Rooney's game ok? Its like people can't defend Rooney, so just try to shift discussion to other players....

I must need to update my glasses subscription but I though Rooney was ok today and one of the more influential players in our playing linking up well with good passes.

It appears I am in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Depressing interview from Van Gaal.

This is going to drag on and on isn't it?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Started off well for 25 mins and after that it felt like we wouldn't score. Not good enough really. Thought Herrera was good, should have scored. De Gea also but that's a given at this stage. Rooney wasn't too bad, incredibly harsh to blame him for not winning the game.

Blazed a gilt edged opportunity, should have been sent off. This is some indictment of how he's been this season when that actually constitutes "not bad".

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Main question from today; how much did we improve by and how **** were Chelsea?

United showed more energy and determination, Chelsea have improved a bit under Hiddink but are still not playing good enough, Chelsea lacked a striker for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'd say he's ****ing sick of interviews at this stage same questions being asked.

As much as I think he should move on still feel sorry for him because must feel horrible to be in your job and know that so many are waiting for you to get sacked. Especially when you where at the top so many times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Says you. Chelsea are the league champions and full of good players.

Half you lads know as much as the BT pundits, sweet FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why not blame Rooney? He had the chance to win it and he messed it up

Fine, there are always others things that could have happened, but he had a chance to score, his principal job and one he promised he was capable of doing at the start of the year and he failed.

It is on these singular moments that many games are decided and hence why those that have the ability to score cost and are paid so much more than the more utility players.

It may sound harsh, it is, but that is the level he should be at. He is the main striker and apparently one on the biggest clubs in the world and he missed a gilt edged chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Personally I dont count Herreras chance as a miss, it was a world class save by Courtois. Same way Terrys header wasnt a miss, it was a world class save by De Gea. They both got their chances on target and against lesser GK's they would both have scored.

Rooney was ok but still below the standard we expect from a world class striker and Manchester United captain. Schweinsteiger had a good game as did Schneiderlin. Martial is such a threat cutting inside, hes actually what we all thought Memphis was going to be.

In the end we can be disappointed to have not scored but while we played better than recent times its still not good enough. For all the arguements about squad management, I think the squad is rather strong compared to all our rivals except City. Just something is lacking at the moment. Whether thats confidence or a lack of belief in the management or disillusion with the tactics I dont know.

If LVG goes tonite or tomorrow I wont shed any tears, but if he does the replacement needs to be the right man. Who that is though is very debatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Says you. Chelsea are the league champions and full of good players.

Half you lads know as much as the BT pundits, sweet FA

Chelsea have been dire all year. You judge a team on their performance this season not last. This year they are nearer relegation than the top and I will judge them on that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

spiralism wrote: »
    We badly need to act too. If we end up twiddling our thumbs and the board hesitates for fear of looking stupid by sacking a manager they backed at the start of the month, we run a serious risk of Mourinho ending up back at Real and with Utd once again left holding their dicks. Benitez is on the brink and Perez is keen to bring Mourinho back there.

A well run organisation acts quickly and decisively to correct matters when things start to go wrong.

Ask Guardiola if he wants the job, if he has to think about it then dismiss LVG and hire Mourinho.

If the club hierarchy are thinking of procrastinating while they consider options outside of those two, at this stage, for the job then I'm with Homer, they should be sacked.

Van Gaal was right. The players played for him tonight. Don't blame him for treating the tunnel tabloid interviewers with disdain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Short and sweet for now for a little phrase I said to the lads at 17:15.
    Schneiderlan in let the clean sheets begin

Chelsea have been dire all year. You judge a team on their performance this season not last. This year they are nearer relegation than the top and I will judge them on that alone.

There are many reasons Chelsea have not performed this season. They are still a tough team with lots of top players. Tonight was a far better performance from United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Morgan and Ander will keep LVG in a job if he keeps playing them.

You'd swear this Chelsea team were a league 2 side the way some people are posting by the way. Greatly improved performance , Rooney much better, defence solid, genuine threats at significant stages.

I'm perfectly happy that the team player much better and even if Chelsea weren't up to much, its a platform for the team to build from coming into two very winnable games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

"Pep will make a decision in two or three months' time. Everything remains a possibility, including a sabbatical year."

Pep's agent.

Potentially good news for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

TheDoc wrote: »
    You'd swear this Chelsea team were a league 2 side the way some people are posting by the way. Greatly improved performance , Rooney much better, defence solid, genuine threats at significant stages.

I'm perfectly happy that the team player much better and even if Chelsea weren't up to much, its a platform for the team to build from coming into two very winnable games.

Most, if not all of our last eight games were very winnable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

If these past two games against Stoke and Chelsea were a chance for LVG to save his job then you would have to say he has failed to deliver. He really has to go.

If LVG stays until the end of the season I can see us missing out on the top 4. One good 30 minute spell against Chelsea is not convincing enough.

Also. Fans who wore those Mourinho scarves are a disgrace and an embarrassment to themselves and proper United supporters.

"Pep will make a decision in two or three months' time. Everything remains a possibility, including a sabbatical year."

Pep's agent.

Sounds like he wants the United job...

I think a lot of people need to watch the Rooney chance again. The ball arrived at between knee to waist height and close to his body, not exactly ideal situations for a volley. It was a chance of course but people here are talking as if it was a sitter and damning him for not scoring.

It's crazy to blame the entire team not winning on Rooney and that chance. Rooney played well today, granted against a weakened Chelsea. He made some lovely passes, linked up play very nicely and for a player who gets a lot of criticising about not getting the ball in the box enough he had 7 touches in the box today. Yes he needs to start scoring, but the whole team needs to start creating more chances and scoring too.

Our main problem has been and still is, in my view, creating clear cut chances and putting them away and pace of attack. We are slow to attack and allow teams to crowd the space and box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

If there's no change in manager in the next few days then it just means there's no viable alternative to LVG other than Giggs. 3 wins in 15 games should seal his fate really. Slight improvement tonight but Chelsea are awful at the moment so hard to judge it.

If there's no change in manager in the next few days then it just means there's no viable alternative to LVG other than Giggs. 3 wins in 15 games should seal his fate really. Slight improvement tonight but Chelsea are awful at the moment so hard to judge it.

I don't believe that. The board have dithered before(look how long the Moyes charade dragged on).

Louis and Ed need to bring in re-reinforcements early in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Chelsea are joint 14th or 16th whatever way you want to look at it for very good reason. Drew at home with Watford last time out. A decent performance ok but the most clear cut chance fell to Matic. Are some of you lot so far up the bandwagon to think Van Gaal is the saviour and that this is somehow going to turn out well? And backing Woodward - the very banker who came up with the credit idea to saddle the club in debt so his ringmasters the Glazers could take control - to make sound football decisions? Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pep's agent.

Pep doesn't strike me as someone that would sign up for a job where there is no decision in place regarding the current managers tenure.

He has always struck me as quite a classy individual and something like that would be a bit classless.

Of course this is based on nothing but my own musing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

RobertKK wrote: »
    Louis and Ed need to bring in re-reinforcements early in January.

The circus clown music should be played any time anyone reads this remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lets not get carried away. Chelsea could and should have scored. Matic had a gilt edge chance. We were lucky that it was him and not somebody capable of scoring in the centre.

If he had scored we would probably have struggled to draw and could well have lost.

Given the current position on Chelsea, they have just got a new interim manager in and yet they managed to get a point at OT.

Chelsea would have taken a point before kick off.

LVG stated after the Bournemouth game that the only way to go was to win the next few games, We have managed 1 point out of a possible 9, including two home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Playing OK is not good enough

He missed the winning chance. For a man earning 300,000 a week he can **** right off

His form has been woeful all season and I have defended him for so long but enough is enough

He should have been sent off ffs

Not good enough

hmmm. That's the best Rooney has played for a while. Good enough? Maybe tonight he did some really good things but I don't think its enough. Over the season, no chance. It's easily been a 3/10 or 4/10 rating for Rooney so far this season. Will we see the old Rooney again, I seriously doubt it.

kstand wrote: »
    Chelsea are joint 14th or 16th whatever way you want to look at it for very good reason. Drew at home with Watford last time out. A decent performance ok but the most clear cut chance fell to Matic. Are some of you lot so far up the bandwagon to think Van Gaal is the saviour and that this is somehow going to turn out well? And backing Woodward - the very banker who came up with the credit idea to saddle the club in debt so his ringmasters the Glazers could take control - to make sound football decisions? Ffs.

Here we go guys!

Let the Glazers and Woodward debate begin!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Also. Fans who wore those Mourinho scarves are a disgrace and an embarrassment to themselves and proper United supporters.

The definition of glory hunters. I just hope none are season ticket holders.

kstand wrote: »

I think the plan for the future post Van Gaal, whenever that is, doesn't include Mourinho.
    Given what Pep's agent said, including no deal done with City, waiting two or three months before deciding and maybe a sabbatical.
    If United want Pep, then maybe they are not in a hurry to get rid of Van Gaal, as they don't want Mourinho?

• Advertisement

Lovely interview by Herrera on MUTV, wouldn't have to worry about someone afraid to talk if you met him...disappointed they didn't win, he talked and talked then said he wanted to do his talking on the pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Slightly better than boxing day, BUT let's not forget Chelsea have been absolutely brutal this year.

The "system" is constricting anyone playing creatively, look at them playing side passes and fúcking around with the ball petrified to not give it away. Completely suppressed.

There is no bench, no plan B (is there even a plan A?) when things don't work out.

Martial is a savage player and he is being absolutely wasted playing out wide. He has too much to do.

Unlucky hitting the woodwork when we did, but we haven't been unlucky in all the games we've lost and drawn, the quality of the football has been dire.

I used to think the players weren't playing to LVG anymore, but by the look of them today they are, it's just what he's asking them to do does not work, and will not work. Does he go? I'm not sure. Do I want him to go? .........I'm not sure yes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meh. To me, if people are paying the money required, showing dedication to go to the games, then they deserve to voice their displeasure any way they want. LVG has shown little to demand blind loyalty over the last few weeks, and after 8 games without a win, fans are entitled to voice those worries.

Is wearing a scarf any different to me saying, here and now, that I want Jose in over LVG?

If LVG wants unyielding support from fans, he needs to earn it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is wearing a scarf any different to me saying, here and now, that I want Jose in over LVG?

If LVG wants unyielding support from fans, he needs to earn it back.

I kinda hate to admit it but I agree with you when I think about it. Although wearing a scarf like that is more cringy than anything. I want to believe that wearing those scarfs is wrong, nonsupporting like and disrespectful but nah it isn't really.

Does he deserve the respect and support of the fans? That's very questionable. He's just not producing. Chants, t-shirts, scarfs or banners, what's the difference to be fair?

Proper.

Jaysus wept.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement