Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Javier Hernandez says hello, twice the player Austin will ever be and LVG just discarded him.

Just asking, how many goals does austin have in the championship this season? I feal that that is his level.

Not trying to get into an argument about austin , wiki says 10 goals in 16 games so far, he got 18 in the pl last season, as I said would never look at him as a starter only an impact sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Saw LVGs interview on MOTD just there. Really annoys me to keep hearing him go on about luck.
    This is Man Utd ..... you should be steamrolling over most teams and not have to rely on a bit of luck.
    He must be regretting selling Chico or RVP at this stage? He has nobody on the bench each week that can come on a potentially win you a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hococop wrote: »
    Not trying to get into an argument about austin , wiki says 10 goals in 16 games so far, he got 18 in the pl last season, as I said would never look at him as a starter only an impact sub

we only have Rooney and Martial as it is; any striker we get needs to be well capable of being the leading striker for United.

Autin has already showed he can score in a struggling side, so might do ok for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United need an Ozil or Neymar (both unrealistic but those styles) way more than a Kane or Lukaku imo. Martial and Rooney are good starting options for the striker position no matter how out of form they may be at the moment. A couple of wingers to get Martial and Mata in the middle or a Felipe Anderson who can play in a few positions and the attack could click. I'd like to see Martial pick up the ball at the top of the centre circle and run through the middle more as a start.

Lads ffs Charlie Austin is 26 and hasnt got an England cap yet.
    There is no way utd should be looking to get him. What planet are some of ye on?

• Advertisement

Lads ffs Charlie Austin is 26 and hasnt got an England cap yet.
    There is no way utd should be looking to get him. What planet are some of ye on?

Austin would have come in handy a lot this season if he was at the club.

whatever about the wide players or strikers - Herrera and Schneiderlin need to be starting as many games as they are able too, with either Carrick or Schweinsteiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hococop wrote: »

I dont rate him but you must so we will leave it at that.

Think we should/need to break the bank on Kane, Stones and Mahrez over the next 2 windows, however I dont see prem player as being gettable these days, too much money in the league.

Might have to look outside of england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You said if any.... bizarre

Anyway... 3 essential players and you could add a few more.

What else do we need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is it really when he was just trying to make money? It's the people (if any) who bought them that are embarrassing.

You know what, that's a fair point.

Can't say I saw any of the scarves so I assume he didn't sell many anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

What else do we need?

You said you didn't think we needed to sign ANY players - that is where this discussion is stemming from; not that we need 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I dont rate him but you must so we will leave it at that.

Think we should/need to break the bank on Kane, Stones and Mahrez over the next 2 windows, however I dont see prem player as being gettable these days, too much money in the league.

Might have to look outside of england.

No I don't rate him as a great striker, just a player that can offer something from the bench and can be got cheap that's all

You said you didn't think we needed to sign ANY players - that is where this discussion is stemming from; not that we need 5 or 6.

And he said "could add few more"

To the 3 positions he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liam O wrote: »

so would peter crouch, andy carroll or troy deeney!!! :)

And he said "could add few more"

To the 3 positions he said

Well you could add another right back, a back up striker... possibly another central midfielder.

The squad is lacking in dept due to LVGs massive clearance sale since he joined.
    How anyone can state that the club might not need to buy many players, ''if any''......is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mars Bar wrote: »
    This thread has been depressing lately and after last nights result, I think ye all need a pick me up. Don't say I never did anything for ye.

1918252_10156298958855307_8680722204200013217_n.jpg?oh=42b9c9704188ab86eee842a1379ba67a&oe=56FDDA6A

This lost 'Post of the day' to a bloody weather report. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its hard to even bother thinking of players that could come in and help us, whats the point when whoever comes in will probably just join the long list of players who look a shadow of their former selves?

Why are all of our players looking ****? Why do so many players need to leave to regain their form? Why do exciting young players come in and start regressing?

Until those questions are answered signing new players is pretty much a futile gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

There have been games where we have had 2 or 3 shots on goal...I think Ruud van nistelrooy would struggle for goals the way this team plays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

would love to see us sign mahrez in the summer. player of the season imo

Liam O wrote: »

Yea i could say that about a lot of players...
    Leigh Griffiths, Andre Gray, fecking Richie Towell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its hard to even bother thinking of players that could come in and help us, whats the point when whoever comes in will probably just join the long list of players who look a shadow of their former selves?

Why are all of our players looking ****? Why do so many players need to leave to regain their form? Why do exciting young players come in and start regressing?

Until those questions are answered signing new players is pretty much a futile gesture.

Its the manager .......He is unable to read a game and not choosing the right tactics to win games .
    The job is beyond him .

Well you could add another right back, a back up striker... possibly another central midfielder.

The squad is lacking in dept due to LVGs massive clearance sale since he joined.
    How anyone can state that the club might not need to buy many players, ''if any''......is beyond me.

So we need 6 now, from 3. OK

Honestly, that squad under Fergie would piss the league, under a manager who would get even 75% of the best from that group a last 16 of CL and title challenge and decent cup run.

Is it good enough to win the league? No it falls short most likely

Is it good enough win CL, not likely, although it's knockout and more luck involved.

We are on a different level anyway.

Every team, including United 99 or Barca 2011 could have has even couple better players, however that's living in dream world or pretty much impossible to achieve the Perfect Team.

So we need 6 now, from 3. OK

Honestly, that squad under Fergie would piss the league, under a manager who would get even 75% of the best from that group a last 16 of CL and title challenge and decent cup run.

Is it good enough to win the league? No it falls short most likely

Is it good enough win CL, not likely, although it's knockout and more luck involved.

We are on a different level anyway.

Every team, including United 99 or Barca 2011 could have has even couple better players, however that's living in dream world or pretty much impossible to achieve the Perfect Team.

The Point is.... we Need to sign players. In various positions.

You still dont get that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Kew or newballs who is drunk? Lol someone help them out.

The Point is.... we Need to sign players. In various positions.

You still dont get that?

But you're still not sure how many. 3 to 6 is big jump in few minutes.

The point I'm making, from the beginning, is that this squad is more then capable of giving any team in Pl a push with proper setup and right players playing.

You really don't appreciate the quality we have.

I don't have problem with you wanting sign players, but it's the ott reaction to think this squad is Mid Table squad too.

user2011 wrote: »
    Kew or newballs who is drunk? Lol someone help them out.

Was drinking Sunday night. Still in system ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Was drinking Sunday night. Still in system ;)

My money was on you, I win woohoo awh the feeling of winning ive totally forgot what it felt like. It's gooooooood.

user2011 wrote: »
    My money was on you, I win woohoo awh the feeling of winning ive totally forgot what it felt like. It's gooooooood.

Draws are the new win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

But you're still not sure how many. 3 to 6 is big jump in few minutes.

The point I'm making, from the beginning, is that this squad is more then capable of giving any team in Pl a push with proper setup and right players playing.

You really don't appreciate the quality we have.

I don't have problem with you wanting sign players, but it's the ott reaction to think this squad is Mid Table squad too.

I think we could definitely put it up to most teams but a lot of our problems come just from the way we are set up. LVG wants to force the team to play to a specific philosophy instead of building the system around the players. Having a philopshy is fine but having a rigid philosophy is just a disaster. Instead of changing the style he changes the players. The wheels started to come off his system when he lost the form of Darmain and Luke Shaw through injury. Darmain was good at the start of the season and showed some good form until he was dropped after one poor game.

The loss of Shaw demonstrated the lack of creativity from the midfield. It exposed Depay badly too who was benefitting from some excellent positioning from Shaw. Schneiderlin is an integral part of this team. The fact that LVG rotated him out of the team is a bit of a brainless decision. Schneiderlin does what he does well. He's been far more effective than any of the other midfielders too. I would trust Schneiderlin to be able to cover the area in front of the defenders on his own without the need for another midfielder sitting so close which is a major factor in Bastain's dip in form. Playing so deep means he's going to have to sprint more to attack the ball approaching him from both central midfield and out wide. He doesn't look as fit as he did in October.

I think we've been badly mismanaged under LVG. His approach is too rigid and I definitely feel these players could be playing at a much higher level under a new coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Which exciting young players have come in and regressed though?

Martial, playing very well. Knew very little about him beforehand so wasn't actually ridiculously excited with him coming in either actually.

Memphis, having a mare, but he did come from the Dutch league which has brought many potentially very exciting (Babel/Kezman/Kuyt/Alves/etc) players who didn't quite set the English game on fire, Memphis may come good, but I don't think anybody is surprised he is taking a while to adjust? I wouldn't call him regressing anyway since we had no idea what his level was.

Any other young lads?

All our players haven't looked **** all season, but the last few weeks have been very bad in general, this happens when going through rough patches, look at Chelsea for example.

Players leaving to find form is a bit of a myth but it would be very hard to prove the validity of the claim either way tbh so I don't see the point in going into that one.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Tell us more about this rough patch. Just a few weeks is it?

Yea i could say that about a lot of players...
    Leigh Griffiths, Andre Gray, fecking Richie Towell!

How many premier league goals did they get last season?

I think if the likes of Kane and Vardy have shown anything to stick your nose up at a player who knows where the goal is and is used to the league is folly. Especially when a cheap one is somewhat available and happy to sit on the bench, at the right age too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

100 % agree

Finally someone in here is starting to see sense!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    100 % agree

Finally someone in here is starting to see sense!

You're right. Old Trafford must be built on an old Indian burial ground. Its hopeless. Hopeless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Weather reports seem really popular on Boards. Is it some sort of site in-joke or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Why should that have won post of the day?

I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Whosthis wrote: »

I don't get it.

7b263265106061a8a506f2e6b3c98198.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I don't get it.

It's all a teeny bit crass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

J. Marston wrote: »
    Weather reports seem really popular on Boards. Is it some sort of site in-joke or something?

It's the most consistently correct report for Irish weather anywhere. Those reports have helped a lot of people stay safe the past few weeks. It's the first thing I read in the morning myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't get it.

He's just having a laugh! There was a lot of debate and controversy over that particular jersey. I teased them a bit they appreciated that I posted it. If I wasn't comfortable I wouldn't have posted it.

There needs to be a multi quote option on the mobile site!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

3 players ain't exactly a lot in all honesty

for what we need, those 3 players are going to cost £120m+.

for what we need, those 3 players are going to cost £120m+.

They don't need to cost 120million though.

You can buy very good players for as little as 400k as Leicester have. Of course that requires luck and United Tax etc will cost more, but other top clubs have bought real quality for very decent sums. We bought 4 very good players for 50m in Summer dont forget.

looking at the top 4 prediction thread, it appears that alot of people think we will miss out on it now.

what do the United fans think, is top 4 unlikely now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

looking at the top 4 prediction thread, it appears that alot of people think we will miss out on it now.

Hard to say. Arsenal and City are certs. Leicester can't be written off, Spurs look good. Liverpool will be level with us when they win tonight.

My guess is we finish 5th. Weirdly, I'm not too bothered at the prospect.

first transfer rumour of the January window -

Juventus are trying to sign Darmian.

It's likely, but reckon we get 5th.

As things stand. Considering Chelsea uphill struggle That's not good enough.

Of course people will ask why I'd want LVG in still.

Well I don't want Giggs, I'm unsure on Jose(more his antics), but take Carlo or Pep but they ain't coming.

That leaves us in no mans land really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

To get into the top 4, we need to get ahead of one of Arsenal, City, Leicester, or SPurs whilst keeping ahead of Liverpool, Palace, Everton and Chelsea.

I can't see Arsenal or City falling away too badly over the 2nd half, so that leaves Spurs & Leicester. Leicester have just come through a very difficult and tricky series of matches against top table opposition and come out largely unscathed. There is the question of the ability of the squad, and the key players, to maintain the current form for the full season but they now have a cushion of 9 points which is a big help.

Spurs are playing very well at the moment and the team seems to be gelling. They also have Kane, who if he can get his top form of last year back would win them many games on his scoring alone. We are currently 4 points and 12 goals below them.

Liverpool are getting very close but I don't see them as having sufficient quality at the moment for top 4, same with Everton. Chelsea, they could go on a run but I don't see it and if they don't do so in the next few weeks their season will simply peter out as they wait for next year and a clear out.

Normally I would be fairly optimistic but Utd are currently the worst performing team in the PL (over 6 games) and I don't see what is going to change as it seems that LVG is staying put. Rooney will not suddenly start scoring, Mata won't suddenly speed up and Bastian won't suddenly get his old legs back. We are far from out of it, its only half way, but Utd have struggled with a small squad, have Thursday European matches to contend with and nothing of the last 18 months says that LVG knows how to go about fixing the problems

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If LVG stays, yes.

Bayern were linked a few days back too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is that him (or his agent) trying to get him out of there?

Worse off now then 19 premierleague games under Moyes. Also out of champions league. Possibly playing worse now then Moyes season, you could argue that.

I cant see a top 4 finish at the moment.

Desperatly need a striker. Rooney hasnt filled that role at all this season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement