Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It does not matter who we sign, if we got Suarez and Messi we still struggle for goals

We don't need investment on players half as much as we need to concentrate on our way of playing and picking right players.

We do have lot of quality players.

I highly doubt it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I highly doubt it.

Globally there seems to be a lot less top strikers than there was 7/8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pro. F wrote: »
    So what do you think he should do then?

Like Kew mentioned earlier. I don't think there is a silver bullet in a signing that will solve it in January.

If he's sticking with 4-2-3-1 I'd maybe look at Herrera beside Morgan, Mata at 10 and then Young out right.

If signings are possible. Striker and RW could see big returns. But depends on the availability and player in question.

I'd test Everton resolve with Lukaku big time. But I just love Lukaku. Still keeping tabs on Isco and Gotze. Both need a move massively. Both can operate well at 10 and have creativity, ability in 1v1s and pace.

I guess though probably everyone is going to have different ideas how to solve it. I'm just not going to get worked up over signings. **** all available in January. Really looking for quality players out of favour pushing a move for their Euro spot, or massive talent at a smaller club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Globally there seems to be a lot less top strikers than there was 7/8 years ago.

Lot more 4-4-2s 10 years ago. A far greater amount of top scorers these days seem to be faster more adaptable forwards rather than the traditional out and out striker.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Like Kew mentioned earlier. I don't think there is a silver bullet in a signing that will solve it in January.

If he's sticking with 4-2-3-1 I'd maybe look at Herrera beside Morgan, Mata at 10 and then Young out right.

If signings are possible. Striker and RW could see big returns. But depends on the availability and player in question.

I'd test Everton resolve with Lukaku big time. But I just love Lukaku. Still keeping tabs on Isco and Gotze. Both need a move massively. Both can operate well at 10 and have creativity, ability in 1v1s and pace.

I guess though probably everyone is going to have different ideas how to solve it. I'm just not going to get worked up over signings. **** all available in January. Really looking for quality players out of favour pushing a move for their Euro spot, or massive talent at a smaller club.

If both Gotse and Isco were available I'd take both tbh. Still wouldn't be Lukaku's biggest fan but his recent numbers don't lie. Think Kane would be the better signing still though. For that price however Griezmann could be gotten I feel who I'd prefer to both of them.

None of them are realistic January moves though imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RobertKK wrote: »
    Look at all the chances Fellaini got against Stoke, and we don't need a new striker????

This is an excellent point. All our chances seem to fall to Fellaini, so in theory if we replace him with a finisher then we should see some more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This is an excellent point. All our chances seem to fall to Fellaini, so in theory if we replace him with a finisher then we should see some more goals.

I'd replace him with Herrera - whether that gets goals or not... probably not many, but I think the creativity would be improved and our anility to move the ball quickly through the centre.

A pacey goal threat coming from the right side, with Martial playing off the left and (sigh) Rooney though the centre.

I'd actually like us to sign a mobile central midfielder (but not thinking we will get one in january). We need someone with more energy and pace to perform the role Schweinsteiger did vs Chelsea.

I missed the Stoke game. Was he playing as a DM in the 4-2-3-1 or as a 10?

If he was playing in midfield the fact he gets on chances is a big bonus. And why I'd prefer Herrera there making the runs forward.

There is just no goals in our midfield, but then expected when we play two holding ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I actually thought that if Mourinho came in he could look to turn Herrera into more of an attacking goal threat - like Lampard. I don't think he'd hit the same numbers, but I think he would do quite well in such a role. He showed a nack for goal getting last season, he gets himself in the right positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I saw someone mention that we won't get a Kane or a lukaku this window but someone who will get us 10-15 would get us through a bad patch. Who is this likely to be though, aren't many names out there? Remember Fergie got Larsson years ago, he gave the squad a real lift, something like that would be ideal. Sure even Larsson now might be an improvement!

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I saw someone mention that we won't get a Kane or a lukaku this window but someone who will get us 10-15 would get us through a bad patch. Who is this likely to be though, aren't many names out there? Remember Fergie got Larsson years ago, he gave the squad a real lift, something like that would be ideal. Sure even Larsson now might be an improvement!

Why would anybody sign for the shambles that our club is right now?

Money only gets you so far, and most PL clubs have money now.

Well Everton are massively underachieving. Surprised more hasn't been put onto Martinez. I'd say he owes massive thanks to Van Gaal and Mourinho for keeping his form under the radar. That Everton team is probably going to fall short under his leadership and I'd imagine the team will break up a bit in the summer.

Dawned on me this week that Mourinho in means no chance of Lukaku. So yeah....**** Mourinho :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I highly doubt it.

Well

Di Maria and Falcao say hello

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Dawned on me this week that Mourinho in means no chance of Lukaku. So yeah....**** Mourinho :D

Lukaku gave an interview a little while back saying there's no hard feelings on his end; that he felt he needed a move to prove his ability, and Jose gave him the blessing to do so. Cynic in me felt it was Lukaku saying he'd be open to playing under him again should Jose join a team in need of a striker :pac:

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/25/romelu-lukaku-jose-mourinho-everton-chelsea

“Choices were made by me. By me. Not by them,” said the 16-goal forward when asked if he regretted not staying at Chelsea given their need for fresh quality. “Everyone says it is Mourinho’s fault but it is not his fault because I made the decision. I went to his office to ask if I could go. He was the first one to say: ‘Good luck.’

“I signed the deal with Everton at 11 o’clock and the first text message I got on my old BlackBerry was from Mourinho saying: ‘Good luck, do your best and I will see you next season.’ He was the first. Nobody knows that and that is why for me he gets immense respect. It is really sad he has to go. He is a great character and a great man. Even though there were words said in the media, I never looked at it because I know what he did and not a lot of managers would do that.”

RobertKK wrote: »
    Look at all the chances Fellaini got against Stoke, and we don't need a new striker????

That one chance you mean? Given he was playing in midfield I don't see the relevance a striker has to it too?

Well

Di Maria and Falcao say hello

Suarez and Messi laugh at them :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I see poor Moyes has said he would take the United job again lol

1 point separates us from 10th spot. That's how bad things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Cool. What makes you think LVG will sign a left-back?

• Advertisement

Suarez and Messi laugh at them :)

Di Maria was a world class player when we signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Pool level on points with us if they hold on here. Depressing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dubmick wrote: »

Their year!!

And Falcao was an absolute croc even though nobody knew at the time, Di Maria didnt want to bother his hole at the club and forced a move away. All the talent in the world means feck all if you dont apply it.

Martial has shown us what talent can improve us. He was immense on the wing visa Chelsea you put Mephis there for the whole game its a different story.

If we had an equally tricky right winger like Marhez and a striker on top form who knows what we might be doing.

Not saying its our only problem but an increase in talent would make things better. Madness to say otherwise and how much is up for Debate I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't realise we were playing Liverpool in a couple of weeks. Some craic if we manage to beat them in this state.

And Falcao was an absolute croc even though nobody knew at the time, Di Maria didnt want to bother his hole at the club and forced a move away. All the talent in the world means feck all if you dont apply it.

Martial has shown us what talent can improve us. He was immense on the wing visa Chelsea you put Mephis there for the whole game its a different story.

If we had an equally tricky right winger like Marhez and a striker on top form who knows what we might be doing.

Not saying its our only problem but an increase in talent would make things better. Madness to say otherwise and how much is up for Debate I guess

Yes, of course better players will still be better for many reasons, but we have some top talent now who are not delivering

Look at Martial. Quality player not getting service.

So it's pretty pointless to some degree, but the Mata's etc don't lose it overnight, they just don't produce their true best cause of poor structure and management

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote: »

Level with Pool, only 1 ahead of Stoke, West Ham and Watford. Could drop to 10th if things go badly on Saturday :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

J. Marston wrote: »
    Didn't realise we were playing Liverpool in a couple of weeks. Some craic if we manage to beat them in this state.

Some ****e we will be in if they beat us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The Liverpool game could be Van Gaal's last, can see them beating us and going ahead in the league if they don't before that

Mess up a couple of league games letting Spurs and Liverpool back in the door and not getting the win at Wolfsburg would leave us up shítcreek without a paddle. I don't think that is being pessimistic either watching our matches this season, realism with a tad of pessimism maybe. I'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong

Was obvious it was coming a month ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Had a look in the January Transfer Thread, didn't realise Feghouli is out of contract this summer, pacy right winger, be a decent option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He was but he was never a prolific goalscorer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"shambles of a club" lol

The Liverpool game could be Van Gaal's last, can see them beating us and going ahead in the league if they don't before that

Was obvious it was coming a month ago

Pool will be ahead of us well before that IMO. Have no faith that we will get more than a point against Swansea, so could see them getting ahead of us by The weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Pool will be ahead of us well before that IMO. Have no faith that we will get more than a point against Swansea, so could see them getting ahead of us by The weekend.

The mood will change if or when that happens. Disappointment and frustration will turn to open hostility, not all directed at LVG either.

He certainly was, Lionel Messi he was not however.

Korat wrote: »
    The mood will change if or when that happens. Disappointment and frustration will turn to open hostility, not all directed at LVG either.

Say it, say who it will be directed toward also :D

I don't think new players will help much under LVG. Every player that has come in has played pretty well for the first few games, playing their natural game until LVG's philosophy has imprinted on them and they suddenly seem to second guess themselves, play the ball backwards when they're closed down, take fewer risks, keep the ball at all costs.

Darmian, Memphis, Martial all started brightly, even Di Maria put on a decent show in his first few games but 'the philosophy' seems to dull their instincts.

I'd like to see what someone else could do with the same players. The squad is very thin though and will need reinforcements.

Korat wrote: »

I don't know; I feel if our current run of form hasn't turned people, then nothing will. I think that there's always going to be a segment of fans who will support LVG until he's sacked, even if he has us in the relegation zone, because it's "embarrassing" to show even the slightest bit of dissent inside the stadium.

As for others, I'd agree; I defend Woodward and feel he gets a lot of petty stuff thrown at him for the failures of others. But at the same time, if he's the one who is refusing to pull the trigger, then he really will come under so much fire now. This desire to not be seen as a "sacking club" will do serious damage; "sacking clubs" would have had him gone a while ago by now. There's not one media outlet or one opposition fant who wouldn't, at this stage, go "well, I guess he wasn't preforming, it was probably the right decision".

I don't know; I feel if our current run of form hasn't turned people, then nothing will. I think that there's always going to be a segment of fans who will support LVG until he's sacked, even if he has us in the relegation zone, because it's "embarrassing" to show even the slightest bit of dissent inside the stadium.

I still support the manager and still want him to turn it around, that being said he derserves a good lot of the critism that comes his way. If there is a better option to come in then the club should be looking to do so, like with anything to do with the club.

The relegation zone thing is way over the top and if we were there I believe he would be gone himself if not being sacked. Our recent form is terrible but our 19 game form has us in 6th (far from good enough)

The Chelsea game did show me the players were willing to play for the manager and that maybe we could turn it around. As a football fan I prefer to be optimistic that pragmatic as I like to enjoy football and I like to enjoy thoughts of us turning it around.

The club will act when it does and I can't effect that so blind optimism works for me. Also I'm not taking away from peoples right to complain, discuss, be pragmatic or have a meltdown

This desire to not be seen as a "sacking club" will do serious damage; "sacking clubs" would have had him gone a while ago by now.

Every club is a sacking club, if the manager is failing. Utd have sacked plenty of managers and duds have no right to expect to stay around because "its' not the Utd way" or any other sentimental reason.

Hopefully though the wheels are already in motion, the club have the succession already planned out and are just waiting until all the pieces are in the right place before making their move.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Cool. What makes you think LVG will sign a left-back?

Get the impression he will be irked by the defensive changes due to injury lately. Signing a new LB would leave Rojo to come back as cover for CB, along with allowing Blind to remain at CB.

Would also allow Darmian to move back to RB, and Young move onto the wings where he did so well second half last season.

Just feel that he is chopping and changing the fullbacks a bit, and maybe he isnt happy with how its going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Van Gaal is here next week this season will be a write off, it would indicate confidence is still there for him from Ed, truthfully I can't see results getting better to the extent we need so he will eventually be sacked in the coming months. Not enough time for a new manager to turn things around at that point so season written off

If Woodys line of thinking is "LVG is better than Giggs, so we may as well leave him there until Pep can come in the summer" then fine. But if he has indicated he is off to City we should sack Van Gaal now and let Mourinho salvage this season, I'm confident Jose could do it.

Bear in mind we could be waiting until May for Guardiola's decision, at that point City will surely be a more attractive option when in all likelihood Van Gaal, or Giggs if he's sacked, haven't provided CL football.

A real headache but the next managerial appointment must be make or break for Woodward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So most of tomorrows papers have us going for Felipe Anderson instead of Mane because Southampton are reluctant to sell.. £35m is what's going around and we hope to get him in as early as possible in January.

They seem to be coming from Italian sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This seasons Anderson has been awful. He has talent but he hasn't exactly proved he deserves the move. A poor transfer I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Would lavezzi be a good signing summer could possibly get him on the cheap. I know it would be weird for him to move from a pay team that's flying but I don't think he's getting in the team too much this season from the champions league games I've caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    So most of tomorrows papers have us going for Felipe Anderson instead of Mane because Southampton are reluctant to sell.. £35m is what's going around and we hope to get him in as early as possible in January.

They seem to be coming from Italian sources.

I like anderson I've mentioned his name here before and I think he would be a good signing but now is not the right time to be signing him he has shown class but he aint consistent enough to dig the team out of where we are now.

I think someone like aubamyang be ideal now but he would and dortmund would take alot of persuading he is in good form. We also need to get someone to create things.

Headshot wrote: »
    This seasons Anderson has been awful. He has talent but he hasn't exactly proved he deserves the move. A poor transfer I reckon

If your talking about Martial, who IMO has been our best forward player this year then I think your mistaken.

Calling it a poor transfer at this stage in his career is a bit mad he has shown to have serious talent and was our best attacking threat against Chelsea.

Going off the golden boy thing as a comparison.

You aren't mixing up Depay and Martial by any chance?

And Depay gets 2 seasons before I'd write him off but he does frustrate the life out of me.

Edit (apologies headshot got that very wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If your talking about Martial, who IMO has been our best forward player this year then I think your mistaken.

Calling it a poor transfer at this stage in his career is a bit mad he has shown to have serious talent and was our best attacking threat against Chelsea.

Going off the golden boy thing as a comparison.

You aren't mixing up Depay and Martial by any chance?

And Depay gets 2 seasons before I'd write him off but he does frustrate the life out of me.

He was talking about felipe anderson the lazio player :) martial???

jayo26 wrote: »
    He was talking about felipe anderson the lazio player :) martial???

LOL ooops Thought we signed Anderson after he won the Golden boy award and Martial won it this year so thats my terrible thought process line :D

sky88 wrote: »
    Would lavezzi be a good signing summer could possibly get him on the cheap. I know it would be weird for him to move from a pay team that's flying but I don't think he's getting in the team too much this season from the champions league games I've caught.

Agent was only saying there yesterday that he will not be leaving the club. 30 years of age, pretty meh anytime I see him. I prefer Pastore. Can be a bit Nani-esque, but there is incredible talent there. Probably cost a bomb though, but only PSG winger I like.

I've always been a fan of Gignac. Bring him back from Mexico on the cheap :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

In the top 16, West Bromwich Albion and Stoke are the only teams to have scored less goals than us

Janey mackers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement