Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Is it just me that hates how everyone posts a happy xmas message.

I dont wanna have to go through several pages of that!

Sorry !

Happy xmas, hope you get then new balls you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I don't do Xmas, so you can all go and shyte!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Was impressed with the way LVG conducted himself in the press conference. Thought he handled the media frenzy really well and shut a few up. That being said I firmly believe that the players have stopped playing for him for the past month. Performances were average before that but somehow he got a few results, don't see much improvement on the playing side of things unless he has a serious rethink about how he sets the team up. I don't see that happening at all so I don't see him lasting much longer, I hope I'm wrong but there's nothing I'm seeing the last few weeks from the players that leads me to believe the players are fully committed to LVG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is it just me that hates how everyone posts a happy xmas message.

I dont wanna have to go through several pages of that!

Sorry !

Yeah I might have been the same, if I didn't just get the most sick gift ever in secret Santa. I don't care what anyone on this forum says, Cantona was one of the biggest catalysts for United's success in the 90s and if anything is underrated these days.

Merry Christmas everyone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Merry Christmas lads! Now roll on St.Stephens day footy before all the Xmas movies drive me demented! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Merry Christmas lads and lassies.

Here's to a more successful 2016 for Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Since Fergie left, United have always won on St Stephen's day.
    Stoke have won two of their last three for the same date.
    Hopefully our record continues.

Happy Christmas to you and your families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RobertKK wrote: »
    Stoke have won two of their last three for the same date.
    Hopefully our record continues.

Happy Christmas to you and your families.

We've had a knack for losing those records over the past few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

RobertKK wrote: »

So like, the whole 2 games :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So like, the whole 2 games :pac:

Blame Christmas, and I haven't been drinking...so no excuse there lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

681160616_593964.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sand wrote: »
    This is the key thing - I don't necessarily object to the analysis that United are not playing successful, attacking football bringing young players through in keeping with the United Way (tm) with a manager who terrorises the media.

I just don't see how Mourinho addresses any of those weaknesses.

But who said we wanted Mourinho to do any of that? A desire to play the United way is not why some people are saying we should go for Mourinho now.

I wrote about this the other day, basically only the most blinkered of fans should ignore that we are very close to becoming another Liverpool. It will soon be three seasons since we won a title or even challenged for a title. Stick with Van Gaal and that will end up four seasons without a challenge. When he eventually goes it will be another 2 or 3 seasons for the next "transition", and we're into 6/7 seasons, which soon becomes 8/9/10.

Think it won't happen? It is happening, have no doubt.

The club wanted to think long term and so went for Moyes, which was creditable in many ways. Moyes didn't work out so they tried again with Van Gaal and his process, again thinking long term. But Van Gaal isn't working out. They tried to think long term and gave it a shot but it hasn't worked out.

So what now? They gave the long view a shot but now they need to realise it has hurt them, they have fallen off the perch and need to get the **** back onto it before we forget what its like. Thats what Mourinho is for. We all know the baggage but right now we need to reassert ourselves as a major player, we need to pick up a title and make a few waves in Europe, make people fear Manchester United again. Mourinho can do that, we need it, so let him at it.

If he comes in and wins a title or two that is what we need, even if he breaks a few eggs along the way. After that we will have a little more breathing space to look long term again. Steady the ship first, then we can get back to the United way.

If you want an analogy think of an actor doing the big cheesy blockbuster so that he has enough money to then do the two arthouse flicks close to his heart. We have just had the two risky choices, now we need to suck it up and do the blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

But who said we wanted Mourinho to do any of that? A desire to play the United way is not why some people are saying we should go for Mourinho now.

I wrote about this the other day, basically only the most blinkered of fans should ignore that we are very close to becoming another Liverpool. It will soon be three seasons since we won a title or even challenged for a title. Stick with Van Gaal and that will end up four seasons without a challenge. When he eventually goes it will be another 2 or 3 seasons for the next "transition", and we're into 6/7 seasons, which soon becomes 8/9/10.

Think it won't happen? It is happening, have no doubt.

The club wanted to think long term and so went for Moyes, which was creditable in many ways. Moyes didn't work out so they tried again with Van Gaal and his process, again thinking long term. But Van Gaal isn't working out. They tried to think long term and gave it a shot but it hasn't worked out.

So what now? They gave the long view a shot but now they need to realise it has hurt them, they have fallen off the perch and need to get the **** back onto it before we forget what its like. Thats what Mourinho is for. We all know the baggage but right now we need to reassert ourselves as a major player, we need to pick up a title and make a few waves in Europe, make people fear Manchester United again. Mourinho can do that, we need it, so let him at it.

If he comes in and wins a title or two that is what we need, even if he breaks a few eggs along the way. After that we will have a little more breathing space to look long term again. Steady the ship first, then we can get back to the United way.

If you want an analogy think of an actor doing the big cheesy blockbuster so that he has enough money to then do the two arthouse flicks close to his heart. We have just had the two risky choices, now we need to suck it up and do the blockbuster.

I don't want Mourinho myself but that's a very good post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    681160616_593964.gif

Just got the biggest bebo 2k7 bang off that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Probably the biggest match of the season for LVG tomorrow. I hope he pulls it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Surely we have to get the three points tomorrow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Surely we have to get the three points tomorrow??

Well that's what I asked the Fatman in the red suit for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The amount of full kit **** at tge church today all they needed was perms 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

The amount of full kit **** at tge church today all they needed was perms 😂

It's ok if they're kids but adults, I'd be worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got the ladies fit jersey from my sister. Definitely doesn't have as good a shape as the L.A. Galaxy jersey I have but it's alright.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I got the ladies fit jersey from my sister. Definitely doesn't have as good a shape as the L.A. Galaxy jersey I have but it's alright.

The ladies fit is snug ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mars Bar wrote: »

Pics or GTFO :P

astradave wrote: »

6 likes. Pressure is well and truly on OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Headshot wrote: »
    Probably the biggest match of the season for LVG tomorrow. I hope he pulls it off

What he does with his wife and his cracker at this time of the year is his own business..

i'd like 3 points.. I'm confident.. then again that might just be the drink. Happy ****in Christmas ya filthy animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

astradave wrote: »

17 likes now.... Come on Mars Bar

MrMac84 wrote: »
    17 likes now.... Come on Mars Bar

...And there is 18. Here is a rare time 'likes' can be effective, until Mars Bar comes back and tells us to shove them up our hole!

Edit: Hococop, perhaps a certain simpsons jpg is appropriate for the moment? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Cmon Mars Bar, give into peer pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Control yisser selves lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just to bring back up the press conference again, there was no rant, there was no storming out, and on another listen there was no journalist that he ignored. Not one. Unless you want to count the twat at the end as he was walking out that went wooo-ooo, who really should take a look at himself tbh, that was cringy. He did actually acknowledge him with the death stare though.

He was measured, he was thoughtful and he was very clear.

Hoping for a positive performance and result tomorrow, the press conference could have a galvanising effect on the squad I hope. Tough place to go and get a result at the best of times but its time for every one of the players and the management to stand up and be counted and I'm hoping that Van Gaal as a wounded animal will be show his teeth and inspire some real passion in that team. His pride has certainly been hurt during the past couple of weeks, up to him to prove people wrong and get results.

Stoke can cause problems for any team as shown by the City game, not feeling 100% going in to the game and am travelling over for the Chelsea game so just hoping they can pull it out of the bag and have OT rocking come 5.30pm on Monday

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Dont do it Mars Bar, dont let the patriarchy win again. #triggered #microaggressions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Just to bring back up the press conference again, there was no rant, there was no storming out, and on another listen there was no journalist that he ignored. Not one. Unless you want to count the twat at the end as he was walking out that went wooo-ooo, who really should take a look at himself tbh, that was cringy. He did actually acknowledge him with the death stare though.

He was measured, he was thoughtful and he was very clear.

Hoping for a positive performance and result tomorrow, the press conference could have a galvanising effect on the squad I hope. Tough place to go and get a result at the best of times but its time for every one of the players and the management to stand up and be counted and I'm hoping that Van Gaal as a wounded animal will be show his teeth and inspire some real passion in that team. His pride has certainly been hurt during the past couple of weeks, up to him to prove people wrong and get results.

Stoke can cause problems for any team as shown by the City game, not feeling 100% going in to the game and am travelling over for the Chelsea game so just hoping they can pull it out of the bag and have OT rocking come 5.30pm on Monday

To not take any questions at a press conference and walking out... whether he did it calmly or not, would def go down as 'storming out'.
    The man was livid and clearly didnt want to be there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Strumms wrote: »
    What he does with his wife and his cracker at this time of the year is his own business..

Only a poster names Strumms could get away with that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whether his point is right or not, his display shows a man under severe pressure,pressure that is taking its toll on him.

Rafa's 'fact' rant, whilst being somewhat true, showed the man was struggling with the pressure and that was all the fans and team need to see that the man charged with leading the team is struggling under the weight of expectations.

All this talk of the team being galvanised by his display. It is far more likely that the team see a manager that knows his time is nearly up and is cracking under the pressure. The players would already be questioning the manager, as he said himself people will question the manager if results are bad, and now they see a manager cracking.

You guys can dress it up anyway you want but he clearly couldn't face the inevitable questions about performance so decided to turn the focus onto an issue that would have been a constant to any manager but suddenly LVG feels the need to highlight the problem and unfairness of it all!

If you are the Stoke team, or Hughes, do you think you are heading into a match against a team full of confidence and a manager focused on the job at hand, or a team with no confidence and a manager more concerned with saving his own skin that that of the team.

Rather than his silly rant, which if any other teams manager had done it you would have called it a rant, but because LVG does it it is somehow a well delivered and thought provoking insight into the media, he should have come out and given a war cry to the fans, to the team to the rest of the teams. Yes we have struggled but we are confident that we have the skills and resolve needed to turn it around. We are down but we are sure of our plan are we will see it through. Yes injuries haven't helped but the squad is strong and all the players are focused on the next game and are certain we can start the fightback with 3 points against a strong side and then face into Chelsea and look to come out of Christmas with 9 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Will be interesting to see if LVG plays Herrera today to quicken the passing to the strike force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

At the end of thr day it comes down to results and today will decide if the presser was a masterstroke or a under pressure rant.

Its not dressing it up to believe that lvg dont actually give a crap about the press he has shown it throughout his career he has spoke to press as he wants and when he wants.

Personally myself i seen it as he was damn angry with the press but it was controlled anger it was a planned reaction he more then likely had it worked out but it still doesnt take away from the fact that it is do or die for him right now he has to turn it around today and against chelsea or even bigger questions will be asked.

Herrara starts apparantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That would be nice.

Ive no confidence of us getting anything from today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Apparently so does Fellaini, and there is our problem

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rooney dropped!

CXJjniZWwAAo4j6.png

• Advertisement

Why doesnt he play Schneiderlin ?

Holy ****. Is this basically the first time he's chosen to not play Rooney in a big game that he's been available for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Rooney " We are fighting for LVG"

Then he gets dropped

Why doesnt he play Schneiderlein ?

By the looks of the lineup, he's going with Carrick and Herrera. So presumably he trusts Carrick more in that defensive position more than Schne :/

Schne in for Carrick and I think you've probably got the best line up available there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Dropping Rooney is a call that should have been made months ago. Not playing Schneiderlin is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Rooney dropped!

CXJjniZWwAAo4j6.png

Happy with that, Rooney on the bench is a good thing for him and the club. Hopefully we see some decent flowing football, hopefully its Carrick and Fellaini in the middle with Mata and Depay out wide, prefer Herrera at 10 and Martial upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Hoping for a big performance from Fellaini & Herrera.

Similar to the line ups that beat City, Spurs and Pool last year.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    By the looks of the lineup, he's going with Carrick and Herrera. So presumably he trusts Carrick more in that defensive position more than Schne :/

Schne in for Carrick and I think you've probably got the best line up available there.

Is it not Fellaini and Carrick...with Herrara at no.10

Thats how i see it? Should be Schneiderlin instead of Fellaini, if he is in that def mid position.

Is it not Fellaini and Carrick...with Herrara at no.10

Thats how i see it? Should be Schneiderlin instead of Fellaini, if he is in that def mid position.

Maybe a rotating trio?

Could even be...

Carrick
    Herrera - Fellaini

And then on defence, drop back to

Carrick - Fellaini
    Herrera

The trio are actually a decent combo cause they can rotate as nessecary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

duffman13 wrote: »
    Happy with that, Rooney on the bench is a good thing for him and the club. Hopefully we see some decent flowing football, hopefully its Carrick and Fellaini in the middle with Mata and Depay out wide, prefer Herrera at 10 and Martial upfront.

Fellaini at #10 is a good thing, he can concentrate on attacking.

When LVG plays him in midfield he seems to also be instructed to move high up the pitch to provide a target which in turn leaves his partner in midfield isolated and the defence exposed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement