Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Manchester Evening News are running a survey asking people what players they want to see United keep and which they want to sell.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-january-2016-10671470

Felaini is the only player in the "Sell Him" camp right now, though Rooney is the next closest.

Click bait. If Felliani or Rooney score a hat trick in the next game they will be replaced by someone else.

Regarding will Keane. I'll reserve judgement until I see him starting in or coming on as a potential match winner. If that does happen it is madness. If however, he's been recalled to get some Europa league experience then nothing wrong with that IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Hernandez has been voted German player of the month for second month in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

That's some achievement, especially for a Mexican

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I thought he was Mexican.

Damn, beaten to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How much did we sell him for?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bangkok has obviously been furiously voting and hitting F5 over and over for the last 10 hours.

I voted once for Fellaini
    Several times for Rooney
    And furiously for Bangkok...

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    How much did we sell him for?

From memory think it was something like €9m...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Owryan wrote: »
    That's some achievement, especially for a Mexican

Why would him being Mexican stop him winning an award in German football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

brinty wrote: »
    And furiously for Bangkok...

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Bangkok has obviously been furiously voting and hitting F5 over and over for the last 10 hours.

na, have better things to be doing in life.

hope he is sold though, every time he is on the field we play awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Jonathan Moss refereeing tomorrow. His other 2 United games this season were wins against Spurs and Everton. Maybe a good omen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rooney to Leicester for a box of Ready Salted Walkers.

Jonathan Moss refereeing tomorrow. His other 2 United games this season were wins against Spurs and Everton. Maybe a good omen.

We are on Setanta at 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well...we couldn't possibly go 9 games without a win, right?

Anyone remember what its like to win a game? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

A spirited performance is not much good against Swansea unless we pick up 3 points, bogey team or not.

10 game winning streak coming.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

:pac:

He's Mexican, not German. Owrayn pounced on a technicality at your expense. Chicha won the Bundesliga Player of The Month and not the German Player of the Month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    na, have better things to be doing in life.

hope he is sold though, every time he is on the field we play awful.

Thats easy considering everytime we play game of football we play awful....

• Advertisement

Easy know Carrick is from the North East,no need for a jacket in this weather.

JS79557291.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Of course he doesn't, any excuse though.

wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    Thats easy considering everytime we play game of football we play awful....

we played well v chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So Wilson had to go on loan to get matches.
    But yet United are short on strikers.

Which is it ??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nalz wrote: »
    wha?

What are you unsure of?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

So Wilson had to go on loan to get matches.
    But yet United are short on strikers.

Which is it ??!

Wilson is not up to the level required to be a Man United striker, and is not going to develop into one by sitting on the bench waiting for chances behind Rooney and Martial to name but two, in a one striker system, he can't operate in behind or out wide so his development is best suited by going out on loan where he will get to play regularly in his favoured position and give himself the best opportunity to develop into the player that we all hope he can become one day.

See how it can be both?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Wilson is not up to the level required to be a Man United striker, and is not going to develop into one by sitting on the bench waiting for chances behind Rooney and Martial to name but two, in a one striker system, he can't operate in behind or out wide so his development is best suited by going out on loan where he will get to play regularly in his favoured position and give himself the best opportunity to develop into the player that we all hope he can become one day.

See how it can be both?

Good point stringer
    But what's the difference between will and Wilson
    Both out and out 9's so why recall Keane??
    I agree in bringing him back though,let James lots of game time. Will could be loaned or sold this window..

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/683045490037010433

Saying we're after Stones again this window. Same guy who broke the Martial story apparently.

Good point stringer
    But what's the difference between will and Wilson
    Both out and out 9's so why recall Keane??
    I agree in bringing him back though,let James lots of game time. Will could be loaned or sold this window..

I didn't mention Keane though, I already said I don't see his loan spell ending as any significance whatsoever with regard to the United first team.

Wilson needs to play regularly at his age, he won't do that at United. Too good for the reserves and not at the level required yet, barring some sort of disaster he should be kept out on loan imo.

• Advertisement

Saying we're after Stones again this window. Same guy who broke the Martial story apparently.

Love the translation
    United go back for the load of stones..

Would take Stones, but the money is off putting, he is certainly not the finished article just now and the transfer fee unfortunately demands that he is ready to come in and play to an extremely high level each week.

Would take Stones, but the money is off putting, he is certainly not the finished article just now and the transfer fee unfortunately demands that he is ready to come in and play to an extremely high level each week.

I'd agree with you here stringer
    Bit too similar to our Mike smalling ball player and that
    So we'd have a like for like pairing
    I'm old school and love an all action/no no sense player alongside a ball player
    Think dolly and daisy (Bruce and Pally),Stam and Ronny or Vida and Rio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Money means sweet fa to United. If you want the best players you just go out and buy them. If you Dont another money bags club will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Stones looks well worth 45-50 million he is fantastic

At his age, English, high profile, high competition, and middle of the season, he'll cost a fortune.

At the same time, I'd happily throw a load of cash at Everton for him, Barkley and Lukaku :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Damn right, look at it from thsi point of view, 16yrs ago (yes, 16 YEARS!!!) we paid 30mill for Rio, look what we got out of him, well worth the price

At his age, English, high profile, high competition, and middle of the season, he'll cost a fortune.

At the same time, I'd happily throw a load of cash at Everton for him, Barkley and Lukaku :P

Sure throw in Coleman and tclev23 and we'd even give them sideshow bob to sweeten the deal...
    £150m ought to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

theres a huge difference between Gills rise to the CE job and Woodwards -

Gill was hired as director of finance and then within 3 years was promoted to deputy CE while at the same time, keeping his directorship.

he was promoted again within a year of that to group CEO and within 2 years of that, he went to overall club CEO - he earned his promotions in the normal way, going through each stage of the business and getting natural progression and time in each role.

Woodward on the other hand is purely a money man who had the responsibility of commercial and media activity before being moved to the board in 2012. he had 1 year experience at this level before becoming CEO of one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

at this stage of his CEO career, Gill was already on the board of the FA and earmarked for big things - i think we both know in the football sense, that Ed Woodward will be nowhere near this anytime soon. he may get a great job at a huge global company like Mcdonalds or Pepsi, but in the football world he is nowhere near the level Gill was at when he took the job.

So the difference between the two is that Woodward got promoted faster than Gill at one stage during his career at United and that Gill got onto the board of the FA, while Woodward hasn't yet. So yeah, the evidence we have is of there being no significant or informative differences between the two men.
    Gill got it because he was best for the job in every since, Woodward got it because he was a glazer man and because the club had shifted from a football based business, to a financial priority.

That is pure speculation. For all you or any of us know, the Glazers were placing just as much priority on financial performance during Gill's time as they have been during Woodward's time. The idea that the Glazers would appoint any CE that doesn't operate completely in line with their wishes is not worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What are you unsure of?

Nevermind I'm up to speed :)

I'd agree with you here stringer
    I'm old school and love an all action/no no sense player alongside a ball player
    Think dolly and daisy (Bruce and Pally),Stam and Ronny or Vida and Rio

Smalling a ball playing center half?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Stones is far better at bringing the ball out of defence and passing than Smalling is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Having seen Stones 3 or 4 times only this season he hasn't looked worth that kind of money, he had a rough game against Stoke last time out and I think would struggle for a season or two. I do think he has the potential to be world class but I think we need an older and more experienced head at the moment at CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

After watching a good few of Everton's games this year I can easily say Smalling is way better than Stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Last 3 games against Swansea we have lost 2-1, just backed us to win 2-1, lets try and get this positivity train going again :)

Robson99 wrote: »
    Money means sweet fa to United. If you want the best players you just go out and buy them. If you Dont another money bags club will.

That would be my point actually, he isn't the best. So paying money it would take to get the best for a player who is not that would seem wasteful to me. It doesn't mean a thing to United in isolated circumstances of course.

For the money it would take to get Stones I would want a more complete player. He is very good, and it looks like he is going to be a superb player, but he still has a way to go.

There are plenty of better defenders out there then Stones who would cost, the same, not much more or less then him so if it simply a case of going out to buy the best he doesn't come in to the equation for me. If it is a case of going out to buy potential to be the best he fits in there, but would be ridiculously priced for that.

If he is bought great, not like we don't overspend on players anyway, if he isn't I won't lose sleep over it.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Damn right, look at it from thsi point of view, 16yrs ago (yes, 16 YEARS!!!) we paid 30mill for Rio, look what we got out of him, well worth the price

They are not really comparable in terms of what level they were at, or had accomplished etc in the game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

duffman13 wrote: »
    Having seen Stones 3 or 4 times only this season he hasn't looked worth that kind of money, he had a rough game against Stoke last time out and I think would struggle for a season or two. I do think he has the potential to be world class but I think we need an older and more experienced head at the moment at CB.

He had a rough game or Everton had a rough game? On memory I don't think he was at fault for any of the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

He had a rough game or Everton had a rough game? On memory I don't think he was at fault for any of the goals.

It's hard to blame one player but he was poor against stoke, got pulled out of position and struggled to get tight to players. Definitely played a part conceeding two of the goals from memory. He hasn't been as good in the last few months and Everton seem to be missing Jageilka badly.

I do rate him as a good player with bags of potential but don't think he's as ready as some think or worth the money. We have a young defence and I think it would take Stones a season or two to settle and establish himself.

He has been exposed a bit more this season tbf, has been at fault for goals for sure. This in itself is fine, all players (defenders) are at fault for goals now and then, its just important to try to maintain some perspective on things especially when trying to judge a potential transfer target.

He has a long way to go development wise, he appears to have all the tools to go to the top of the game.

Duffman is putting it better then I am so I shall leave the floor to him :)

Have had a quick browse of the Everton thread to see am I mad for being underwhelmed by Stones and Barkley (who get bigged up an awful lot, here and in the media) and it seems not. Another interesting point is that the "breath of fresh air" Martinez is gone stale with a large contingent of the fans. Surprise, surprise. Delighted. Both for them, and for him.

Love to see them get relegated tbh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement