Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I hate using dunphyisms but in regards to tactics, Martinez is a spoofer. Great at spotting talent and bringing in good players for the level he's at but his teams are awful defensively. Even with Barry and McCarthy in front of defense they let in silly goals in ridiculous circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Liam O wrote: »
    I hate using dunphyisms but in regards to tactics, Martinez is a spoofer. Great at spotting talent and bringing in good players for the level he's at but his teams are awful defensively. Even with Barry and McCarthy in front of defense they let in silly goals in ridiculous circumstances.

100% agree, watching the Everton backline against Stoke it was so disjointed and seemed really poorly set up. Stones may be better than he looks at the moment but wouldnt be risking 50 million on that. Martinez has done a decent job with the attacking side of the team but they are so poor at the back. It does seem they rely heavily on Jagielka to set up the defense.

On the topic of CB though I am not really sure who we could get that is going to move to us. Garay might be an option and he is fairly experienced. Would love Varane but that is never going to happen. A Vidic like signing now would be amazing, someone a little out of left field who we dont expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Can't stand Martinez's demeanor at all. Struggled for years with Wigan before they finally got relegated. I know he won the FA cup but they went down the same season. Never understood how he got the Everton job. Did well to target Lukaku though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

scudzilla wrote: »
    Damn right, look at it from thsi point of view, 16yrs ago (yes, 16 YEARS!!!) we paid 30mill for Rio, look what we got out of him, well worth the price

Hey scudzi it was 14 years ago (yes, 14 years) Rio was already captain of his club and had played in European competition and was an English international for five years. Saying that I do think stones is worth 30 odd million but I doubt we would get him for thst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hoping not to see Gomis stupid goal celebration, while at the same time expecting to see Gomis stupid goal celebration :( Should be a good Saturday!

A goal would be nice, a win may be too much to ask for but dreams do come true sometimes I hear :pac:

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

zerks wrote: »

Gomis on all fours celebrating :mad: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lots of talk that Van Gaal wants a striker bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

RobertKK wrote: »
    Lots of talk that Van Gaal wants a striker bought.

Probably all coming from the quotes going around in this mornings papers. Talking about his strikers, he said that he doesn't believe in competition for places, but maybe he is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Absolutely no excuses today, have to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

At last LVG is accepting that Rooney is not delivering.

Pretty big change really, not being commented on too much in the media, but he has gone from saying that he has total confidence that Rooney can deliver 25+ goals to accepting he needs an actual striker.

A new striker spells the end of Rooney at Utd. He was given both the captaincy and the main striker role and failed.

It has taken LVG half a season but maybe the penny is finally dropping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

And the thing is, Rooney was good when he came on against Stoke and also against Chelsea. Pity he wasn't dropped 3 months ago though as I've said many times, no is playing well enough to take his place.

The other options are Memphis, Mata and Fellaini and that's why he gets picked every week. The reality is, we lack players to see Rooney dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Funnily enough Rooney's last 135 mins have been really good IMO.

Would like to see what happens if he actually had a few chances today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Really good is a stretch.

Missed that chance against Chelski that any "top, top" striker would have buried.

If Rooney running around putting in a shift constitutes him playing well, then the club are in more dire straights than were appointing him captain in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What was going through his head when he let Hernandez,Wilson and RVP all go ?
    His decisions has cost the club and will cost them 4th place.
    Its hard to imagine a 4th place finish being a successful season for Utd but thats how it has shaped up to be.
    Spent a small fortune and somehow gone backwards.
    Maybe he was ...was a good manager. Unproven in the premierleague and its caught up with him and the club. Stone age tactics dont cut it now.

• Advertisement

Really good is a stretch.

Missed that chance against Chelski that any "top, top" striker would have buried.

If Rooney running around putting in a shift constitutes him playing well, then the club are in more dire straights than were appointing him captain in the first place.

I think people are ignoring some really God build up play. I've been as critical of Rooney as anyone here as well.

I don't think his chance was easy, lots of pace on the ball and came at an awkward height, that's how I saw it no point arguing as you see it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

That was a difficult chance against Chelsea to be fair. Not too many players around would have finished it I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yet. At the time though I can guess that this thread was awash with "ah ffs Rooney" or similar posts. No need for revisionism

You would expect the top strikers to score that chance 7/8 out of 10, that is what to expect from your captain, your talisman, your leader, your mega bucks earning striker.

I guarantee you Aguero, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez etc would bury that more often then not in that game, given all the circumstances around it also, if Rooney wants to be paid like them, and classed in the same category as them you expect the same from him.

Difficult chance? Of course, one that separates the best attackers from the rest? Yep. Rooney used to score those goals.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

What was going through his head when he let Hernandez,Wilson and RVP all go ?
    His decisions has cost the club and will cost them 4th place.
    Its hard to imagine a 4th place finish being a successful season for Utd but thats how it has shaped up to be.
    Spent a small fortune and somehow gone backwards.
    Maybe he was ...was a good manager. Unproven in the premierleague and its caught up with him and the club. Stone age tactics dont cut it now.

I dont care much for rvp or Wilson I don't think they would do much for us but it absolutely breaks my heart to see chicarito banging in goals in Germany. He is exactly what we need now a happy Go lucky team player that has a knack of scoring goals He should never of been sold.

• Advertisement

Yet. At the time though I can guess that this thread was awash with "ah ffs Rooney" or similar posts. No need for revisionism

It was mostly, doesn't mean everybody saw it that way.

Hernandez wasn't happy go lucky though, he looked miserable, devoid of confidence and desperately like a player who needed a change to try to re-ignite his career.

He wants to play, he is at that time of his career where sitting on the bench wasn't enough for him anymore and he had been told by his international manager, after losing his place in the team that he would need to be playing week in week out to go to the world cup.

• Any team news lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This idea people have that top strikers convert those types of chances consistently just isn't true. It was a good chance, but even the best only score those good chances about half the time. People just remember the goals and forget the misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Van Gaal put himself in this mess in the first place with his squad selection in the summer.

It seems to continue his theme of making it up as he goes along.

Can't wait to see the back of him at this stage.

Hernandez wasn't happy go lucky though, he looked miserable, devoid of confidence and desperately like a player who needed a change to try to re-ignite his career.

He wants to play, he is at that time of his career where sitting on the bench wasn't enough for him anymore and he had been told by his international manager, after losing his place in the team that he would need to be playing week in week out to go to the world cup.

Oh i agree with you that penalty at start of season and his body language showed your right but that's the managers job to work his squad and players to give them confidence and so on. I'm talking about having a confident and happy hernandez in the squad now is what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

• That's a lazy excuse IMO

It sounds like a "Glenn Hoddle defence" of Rooney

Not to single him out either. There were plenty of chances missed again against Chelsea by a number of players in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

xtal191 wrote: »

Thought for a second there we were back too 3-5-2

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's a lazy excuse IMO

It sounds like a "Glenn Hoddle defence" of Rooney

Not to single him out either. There were plenty of chances missed again against Chelsea by a number of players in the team.

What's a lazy excuse of Rooney?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

xtal191 wrote: »

Weird formatting. Guessing...
    De Gea
    Young - Jones - Smalling - Blind
    Schwi - Schnei
    Mata - Herrera - Martial
    Rooney

Team should be trouncing Swansea easily....

• Pro. F wrote: »
    What's a lazy excuse of Rooney?

Your post IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Swansea are in a terrible run of form if the plays like in the first half against Chelsea it should be an easy win but how many times have we thought that this season

adox wrote: »
    Van Gaal put himself in this mess in the first place with his squad selection in the summer.

It seems to continue his theme of making it up as he goes along.

Can't wait to see the back of him at this stage.

At this stage he's the caretaker manager until we can find someone more appropriate as far as I'm concerned. He's been long enough in the job at this stage to prove that he isn't good enough. So many obviously wrong choices he has made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just go a big grin on my face all of a sudden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Why is Darmian getting ****ed with.

He is a wing back who can play right or left back yet instead LVG is playing a left winger at right back and a center mid at left back.

I just dont see it.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Your post IMO

Watch any top striker over a decent number of games and you'll see that they do actually miss about half of their clear chances. The biggest difference between top strikers and the rest is actually the number of shots they take from good opportunities, rather than their finishing.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Oh i agree with you that penalty at start of season and his body language showed your right but that's the managers job to work his squad and players to give them confidence and so on. I'm talking about having a confident and happy hernandez in the squad now is what we need.

LVG doesn't want to manage players.

• Advertisement

Rossi IRL wrote: »

He is a wing back who can play right or left back yet instead LVG is playing a left winger at right back and a center mid at left back.

I just dont see it.

Probably because of injury concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I just dont see it.

I think it's a case of lvgs match fitness thing, just back from an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Pro. F wrote: »
    Probably because of injury concerns.

Fit enough for the bench, fit enough to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,362 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

based on the team thrown out today, we need a right back, a centre back, a centre mid, a winger and a striker.

Meh.

COME ON UNITED!

Fit enough for the bench, fit enough to play.

Is this supposed to be some law of nature or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know loads have said it including myself and don't expect to see it anytime soon but my god I'd love us to play with two up top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pro. F wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be some law of nature or something?

Einsteins Law of Fitness

I just dont see it.

Young is right footed so if your gonna play someone out of position you might as well play him on a side he should be comfortable on.

Darmian is more experienced when it comes to playing at LB.

It's strange and it confuses the hell outta me too but that's our Loius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is Swansea at home not a good place to try some of this rumored player development, why not play Varela or Borthwick-Jackson? Are they injured? Not a big enough game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Darmian was awful last game at left back(although a blind was as bad at CB)

Young when filling in as a full back should be played at LB, the side of the pitch he has played most of his career being right footed. He actually played very well defensively at RB against Chelsea, albeit against a team with no striker and no ambition.

I know Darmian can play LB as well as RB but he has been going through a bad spell of form, confounded with injuries. I saw no sense in moving him to LB last week and having Young on the right. When a team is struggling the defensive shape and selection should be kept The same as often as possible. I thought it was unnecessary by Van Gaal and probably knocked Darmians confidence more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

adox wrote: »
    Young when filling in as a full back should be played at LB, the side of the pitch he has played most of his career being right footed. He actually played very well defensively at RB against Chelsea, albeit against a team with no striker .

Dont agree with that. He is right footed.
    Because he plays left midfield shouldnt mean he should be more comfortable at left back,then right back. Theres a hell of a difference.
    It is the correct decision to play him at Right back (if he has to select him for either that is)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement