Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dont agree with that. He is right footed.
    Because he plays left midfield shouldnt mean he should be more comfortable at left back,then right back. Theres a hell of a difference.
    It is the correct decision to play him at Right back (if he has to select him for either that is)

But Young has played left back before. Darmien is right footed too. I just didn't see the point of playing both full backs out of position when there was the option to only have one.

Hammers doing the business against Liverpool. Let's hope we get the win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pro. F wrote: »
    This idea people have that top strikers convert those types of chances consistently just isn't true. It was a good chance, but even the best only score those good chances about half the time. People just remember the goals and forget the misses.

"People" was me, and I would stand by the assertion that the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez etc would convert that 7/8 times out of 10.

I remember plenty of shocking misses from said players, but when the pressure is on, when it comes to the crunch they more often then not come up with the goods for their teams. The big moments are what separate the greats from the rest, always been that way.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Why is Darmian getting ****ed with.

He is a wing back who can play right or left back yet instead LVG is playing a left winger at right back and a center mid at left back.

I just dont see it.

Carrying a knock I heard?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Is Swansea at home not a good place to try some of this rumored player development, why not play Varela or Borthwick-Jackson? Are they injured? Not a big enough game?

Could it be that better options are fit and we need a win??

Jaysus that would be mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Not sure about the rest of ye, but I honestly have no idea what to expect in this game.

Happy with the team selection though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,648 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Adox I miss the old avatar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

"People" was me, and I would stand by the assertion that the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez etc would convert that 7/8 times out of 10.

I remember plenty of shocking misses from said players, but when the pressure is on, when it comes to the crunch they more often then not come up with the goods for their teams. The big moments are what separate the greats from the rest, always been that way.

So Rooney isn't matching up to the 3 best goalscorers in the world, and 2 of the best goalscorers to ever play the game? What a disgrace. Messi only scores penalties about 8 times out of 10 so I doubt he'd be equally as prolific with a significantly more difficult scenario such as the chance Rooney missed against Chelsea.

Pro F is correct, this notion that all the top players convert difficult chances 80 or 90% of the time is just false. Your second paragraph suggests you don't pay much attention to these players. Ronaldo is often criticised for not delivering under pressure. In fact there are many examples of big games for Real Madrid in which he failed to score. Messi too to a lesser extent. Their goal scoring stats are skewed by the fact that they are the best goalscorers in excellent ides that are already far superior to most teams they come up against.

Maybe Rooney would convert that chance 7 or 8 times out of 10 just like Ronaldo or Messi, perhaps this was just one of the 3 out of 10 times that he misses? Rooney has delivered the goods for United on plenty of occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Could it be that better options are fit and we need a win??

Jaysus that would be mental!

Ah, so player development is not that important then, we aren't building a platform for the future then. Its all about the wins!

Yes we need a win, but its Swansea at home and we are once again playing a winger at full back, this is absolutely a good choice of game to give one of the kids match experience. If you can't play them in games like this then there will never be a good time to play them (outside of vital champions league games of course).

I know its your job to kiss the managers ass all day but my point is perfectly valid.

its a tad very boring at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we don't win this Van Gaal needs to go, I'm done with this garbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I know theres a match thread. But this has to end after today.
    The football is absolutley disgraceful for a club this big.
    The crowd are dead because the team is dead.

It doesnt matter what happens in next 45-50 mins. LVG clearly has his style of play and tactics and its not changing. Rubbish.

sack him, sack him hard. his brand of football is not working for this club.

Martial only shinning light in attack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This is tough going

Hungover watching Utd = severe pain

Players just going through the motions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

This is just terrible s.hite..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

About time Woody grows some balls and sack Van Gaal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

We need goals. Herrera's chance and Mata's chance goes in then we are not moaning about how we are playing.

This bullsh1t needs to end now. Its infuriating how much leeway LVG is getting from the board. Why isn't he being sacked??? This season has been total regression.

• Advertisement

• We need goals. Herrera's chance and Mata's chance goes in then we are not moaning about how we are playing.

At this stage an own goal or a poxy deflection will do

We need to get a bit of luck

There were good chances wasted in the first half

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

This formation is confusing to say the least, we seem to be playing like:

14e8044c641ef99a71ddde4cac05e8cc.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

It doesnt matter what happens in next 45-50 mins. LVG clearly has his style of play and tactics and its not changing. Rubbish.

If anything, surely Van Gaal has somewhat abandoned his possession retention philosophy today? At least it seemed that way for the first 20 mins of the game. It's like watching Moyes Utd, which is more worrying than anything for a manager who was intent on stamping his own brand on the team.

Can't help but think Martial would have done better with both the downward header or the chance at the back post that needed 2 touches to get a shot away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

We need goals. Herrera's chance and Mata's chance goes in then we are not moaning about how we are playing.

*Half chances. Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It's not just you at all to be fair. I'd say it is a very common opinion and loads have expressed it since that Chelsea game. But it's not true.

The top strikers score about half of their clear chances. They also score crucial goals when their teams need them, but there's no evidenc that they convert chances at better rates in those situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

beno619 wrote: »
    *Half chances. Speak for yourself.

If we were 2-0 up you would be moaning about how we are playing?

If we were 2-0 up you would be moaning about how we are playing?

Yes. Some people see a bigger picture.

I'd be delighted were winning but it wouldn't make the football any better.

Headshot wrote: »
    Martial only shinning light in attack

shinning light this season

• Crucial goal

Showing Rooney how its done

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    shinning light this season

We'd be in dire straights without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

mahrez just missed a penoi, good! but also my FF captain ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

irishfeen wrote: »

Also have failed to score a goal in the first half of their last 9 games.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

10 in a row, 10 in a row,
    We're only 9 wins from,
    10 in a row....

Im happy we won, we desperately needed it but its so unconvincing

We showed great character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Choo choo.

We are going to get top 4.

Morgan and Ander will start every game and will stay fit for the remainder of the season.

Rooney will find form and go on a scoring streak of no less than 5 games, starting this weekend.

Luke Shaw will return before the end of the season to consolidate our 3rd place finish (behind City and the Arse)

We will threaten to make a tilt at the title but fatigue will take its toll and a comfortable third place finish will be ours.

Choo choo.

Chugga chugga chugga chugga

Choo choo!

:pac:

Far from convincing but a badly needed win is a win. LVG still only barely keeping his head above water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

****ing hell fabiankski nearly nicked a point....

Still a lot of work to be done and changes to be made

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A win is a win.

Martial was great. Young preformed well. Rooney wasn't his usual toxic self. Not much else in terms of standout performances.

It will take more than a 2-1 win against a relegation-threatened Swansea to allay my fears though. I'll scream if I hear the phrase "Corner turned" used in a serious manner. I seriously worry about LVG getting us top 4 right now, and would still love to see him sacked asap in favour of Jose. This game will probably buy him a few more weeks though, so I fully expect us to let Jose head back to Real Madrid and us left sucking our thumbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Think if we go 442 we could do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It looks like we reached the very bottom, still not great but on an upward curve at the moment.

Martial was my man of the match, followed by Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Take out Young and Martial from that team and we would languishing at the bottom of the table somewhere.

Martial my Motm. Goal and assist.

Delighted with win, although just kicks the can down the road.

Lovely goal by Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

May not have been the most convincing display but happy we finally got out of that streak.

Think from half time with the formation change we were looking very good with Ashley pushed further up, he had a blinder and was noticeable when he came off Swansea started getting more into it.

All in all happy with the win and Martial and Rooneys performances. Some finish by Rooney! Was nice to see a goal like that again!

Now lets try get on a cup run, some tough fixtures ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That LVG feller he's not that bad really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Young was brilliant
    Schweinsteigers touch was awful
    Martial and Rooney were good too
    Herrera wasnt bad, Mata didn't do much

Blind frustrates me tbh, don't think he's good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

That LVG feller he's not that bad really...

I still believe that he needs to go and someone with fresh ideas to come in. The first half was painful to watch.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Take out Young and Martial from that team and we would languishing at the bottom of the table somewhere.

Jesus. You think Young is keeping us up there? After that game or would you have said that at 14:55 today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A win is a win.

Martial was great. Young preformed well. Rooney wasn't his usual toxic self. Not much else in terms of standout performances.

It will take more than a 2-1 win against a relegation-threatened Swansea to allay my fears though. I'll scream if I hear the phrase "Corner turned" used in a serious manner. I seriously worry about LVG getting us top 4 right now, and would still love to see him sacked asap in favour of Jose. This game will probably buy him a few more weeks though, so I fully expect us to let Jose head back to Real Madrid and us left sucking our thumbs.

If you draw a graph, the curve now points up :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement