Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Jesus. You think Young is keeping us up there? After that game or would you have said that at 14:55 today?

One of our better players this year and last.

So do people still think it was madness to play young at RB :pac:

Young at RB, Young at RB.
    a great idea when you,
    need to attack

Chhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooo

Jesus forgot how a win felt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭Sand

edgecutter wrote: »
    Take out Young and Martial from that team and we would languishing at the bottom of the table somewhere.

A cloud from every silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Spurs in the u21s on Monday night and then FA cup game against Sheffield united on Saturday. Think Depay should be played in both those games in the hope that he might find some form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

a great idea when you,
    need to attack

The funny thing is... i didnt see much of Young at RB today.
    He seemed to get a free role on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

edgecutter wrote:
    Take out Young and Martial from that team and we would languishing at the bottom of the table somewhere.

Put in Neymar and Suarez and we would be higher. I don't get the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

a great idea when you,
    need to attack

Was being discussed in relation to Darmian playing fullback too but you probably know that.

Plus I don't think Utd played fullbacks in that game.

a great idea when you,
    need to attack

To be fair, 2nd half he was playing right mid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Right back this win up with a signing or 2, and an Fa Cup win.

Rebuild the positivity train from its derail off the cliff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Swansea didn't really bother attacking in the first half. When they did, they were targeting Blind and Darmian on the other (while Young was playing). So Young really didn't get tested defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Before we get into the obvious problems we still face and the battle well have to try get a top four can we sit back and appreciate Rooneys goal some more :P

I know people will reply with "he hasn't scored enough" or "he's been toxi" or "about time" etc but for a player getting criticised so much for his poor form in front of goal this season and calls to drop him from the national side for Euros he stepped up at 1-1 and took that chance brilliantly.

Was nice to see him score a classy skillfull goal again :P

Ok guy you can go back to arguing about how much time LVG should get and what we need from the window :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

19 shots, woop.

Slightly better performance again. Still not good enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Maybe LVG expected that?

He certainly moved things around on the flanks in the second half when Swansea started bringing on more pace in their attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

a great idea when you,
    need to attack

One thing Van Gaal has done is resurrect Young's career at United. Most of us wanted him gone two years ago...
    LVG made two wingers into defenders/wing backs, and one can't really argue too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It be hard to win with nine men alright I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hococop wrote: »
    Last 3 games against Swansea we have lost 2-1, just backed us to win 2-1, lets try and get this positivity train going again :)

Choo mother******* choo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Young is a great example of a player that needs a few games to get going. Hopefully he is not injured.

Still so many players underperforming though. Basti looks unfit, Blind is not a CB, Mata is off colour, as is Herrera and Jones and Schneiderlin looked out of practice,

Rooney and Martial the bright spots, along with Young and Smalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

One of our better players this year and last.

He has played well at times but is very inconsistent. He's one I would definitely be looking to upgrade on. He's certainly not a big reason why we're not further down the table.

A defender and a striker still needed this window.

• Advertisement

Ah ya twas tongue in cheek not sure what hybrid formation we played but he def wasn't a proper right back today..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Fair play to Rooney for scoring the match winner today.

Just seen there was more replies I thought I was clearly taking the piss I even used the taking the piss emoticon which is :pac: I thought..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I think what matters most today is the 3 points. Coupled with the performance against Chelsea, thats 2 games 1 good result and 1 good performance. We just need to get some good results and performances in the same games now :p

I really dont think even the most positive of supporter is going to come on and say "corner turned" or "its a new start" or something equally superficial. Today wasnt good enough but importantly we got the W. Look at De Geas reaction to the final whistle, this win was important to the lads. Nobody wants to be performing as poorly as we have been so hopefully the combo of the last 2 games can up the confidence a bit and we can start to improve and become more consistent.

The right signings (whoever they are are?) could win us the league. Still in it despite December and November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Goals in 2016.

Rooney: 1.

Messi, Suarez and Neymar? 0.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Goals in 2016.

Don't forget LVG has us undefeated this year! Sack? Surely a contract extension more likely! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

J. Marston wrote: »
    Goals in 2016.

Gets even better when you add Martial's tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

RobertKK wrote: »
    One thing Van Gaal has done is resurrect Young's career at United. Most of us wanted him gone two years ago...
    LVG made two wingers into defenders/wing backs, and one can't really argue too much.

Some knew he was going through a bad patch like certain other player who didn't get a chance to play themselves back into form.

• Advertisement

The right signings (whoever they are are?) could win us the league. Still in it despite December and November.

Are you insane?

This team isnt winning any league soon. Even if messi or ronaldo was signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Vital win and should give the players a boost in confidence for our next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Jose Mourinho and a capable director of football could be all that's needed in a crazy season like this.

A defender and a striker still needed this window.

I stand by not needing a striker; Martial, when central, is lethal, so I'd really rather we try and fix the lack of creativity behind the striker. Nothing ever comes centrally for us at the moment. It's all either Young whacking it in from outwide, or Martial running from outwide into the box. I'd love to see an Ozil-type of player who can provide a creative outlet centrally for a striker.

Unless you're offloading Rooney, there's not as big a need for a striker imo as there is a creative master behind them.

It was how we needed to finish the current PL run of games, giving the next match is the FA cup game, so it would have been a long wait to get back to PL action if we had lost or drew and the psychological effects that might have lingered for next weekend.

Are you insane?

This team isnt winning any league soon. Even if messi or ronaldo was signed.

I remember when we were 15 points behind the leaders and won the league. Things can change and the right signings could have a huge effect.
    9 points behind...despite the last two months.

• Advertisement

A Watford win would be much appreciated.

I remember when we were 15 points behind the leaders and won the league. Things can change and the right signings could have a huge effect.

The 15 points thing would help if it was the same manager or the same players....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

:eek:

In those days the manager had a successful track record with the club. LVG's history with Utd is dismal, there is not even the slightest suggestion that this team is improving 18 months into his tenure.

Where is the long-term strategy which supposedly justifies retaining LVG if the season depends on a 'hail mary' signing in January?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The 15 points thing would help if it was the same manager or the same players....

It doesn't matter, if they have the right mentality, the right expectations, and the right attitude that is half the battle.

Jones needs to be gotten rid of in the summer, injured again, fine bone china is less brittle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

While far from a "corner turning" performance or whatever nonsense the tabloids will churn out tomorrow, thats two good performances in the last 2 games so the team is moving in the right direction.

A cup game next weekend is coming at a good time, we should be beating SU without any difficulty.

We are still short another CB and creative attacker / forward but there is the makings of a very good team there.

Can LVG unlock it though is the question. One would have to say probably not but football is a funny old game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

A lot of giving out about Van Gaal but if he was to leave he's not leaving us in a terrible state done some good things, Smalling been one main ones gonna be great for United for years to come, Signing Martial is gonna turn into a steal in few years and been reluctant to sell De Gea which still remains to be seen if he'll leave could be another huge posititive. Shaw would have been another massive one this year too only for the injury he's handled him brilliantly.

It doesn't matter, if they have the right mentality, the right expectations, and the right attitude that is half the battle.

Jones needs to be gotten rid of in the summer, injured again, fine bone china is less brittle.

Leave poor Phil out of this! :P

Anyone Phil Jones is the least of our worries at the moment. And did LVG say anything about Jones coming off? Definitely injury. I'm a fan of Jones and don't see how getting rid of him will help the squad.

Korat wrote: »
    :eek:

In those days the manager had a successful track record with the club. LVG's history with Utd is dismal, there is not even the slightest suggestion that this team is improving 18 months into his tenure.

Where is the long-term strategy which supposedly justifies retaining LVG if the season depends on a 'hail mary' signing in January?

The problem United had when Moyes took over is too much dependence on what we had, and you only bring in players who will improve on what you have, or as cover if a player gets injured.
    Getting a defender is not a hail Mary signing, nor is a striker if they do the job for us, or at least give us some cover.

Jones is a joke at this stage, fed up of him being injured a lot of the time.

Seriously?

This team isnt playing like a team capable of winning 2 games in a row,never mind a league.
    I dont think any signings will help. Its gone backwards since last year. The manager is the biggest problem.
    The style of play,the managerial decisions,the tactics,the confidence, the tempo, the crowd.... everything is out of sorts and its been like that for months now.
    Utd wont win the league.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Leave poor Phil out of this! :P

Anyone Phil Jones is the least of our worries at the moment. And did LVG say anything about Jones coming off? Definitely injury. I'm a fan of Jones and don't see how getting rid of him will help the squad.

I have nothing against Jones, apart how can we expect him to form a partnership with Smalling, if he gets injured so often, and we are defensively weak when you look at the players at our disposal.

I have nothing against Jones, apart how can we expect him to form a partnership with Smalling, if he gets injured so often, and we are defensively weak when you look at the players at our disposal.

Defensivly weak because of LVGs choice of sigings. I still have hope for Darmain because of what he showed when he first signed. But Daley Blind is a very poor player in defense. Very sloppy and continues to make mistake after mistake.

Seriously?

This team isnt playing like a team capable of winning 2 games in a row,never mind a league.
    I dont think any signings will help. Its gone backwards since last year. The manager is the biggest problem.
    The style of play,the managerial decisions,the tactics,the confidence, the tempo, the crowd.... everything is out of sorts and its been like that for months now.
    Utd wont win the league.

Teams can turn things around. Leicester looked a sure bet to be relegated this stage last year.

I wouldn't put money on winning the league right now, but I would not be so resigned as some people here are.
    We need to bring in players, I am from Kilkenny, and we have a great hurling team as the manager is not afraid to bring in new players and drop big names if he sees fit.
    I believe a new player(s) should be brought in every transfer window, put players under pressure to perform rather than having no pressure knowing you will play even if you are next to useless.
    United have to see what is available, if they will improve and then make a move. Stagnation in the transfer window is a great policy to go backwards.

Defensivly weak because of LVGs choice of sigings. I still have hope for Darmain because of what he showed when he first signed. But Daley Blind is a very poor player in defense. Very sloppy and continues to make mistake after mistake.

Agree about Blind.

Did Darmian go backward in form coincide with Shaw's injury? I can't remember.

I honestly don't see how getting rid of Jones will help our defense. Good player and always shows great effort.

I have been on these Jones debates many times so no real point going into it too much.

I'm aware he has had quite a few injuries but saying that only 2 of his seasons with us has he failed to player more than 39 matches and those 2 he still managed 24 games. So although he has a tendency of getting quite a few injuries they usually are not long term.

Also at 23 I don't see the point of dumping him off now. He's still young with great experience and good mentality. He needs more runs without injuries to change peoples opinion I do agree but I would find it a bit ruthless to dump him off in the summer.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how getting rid of Jones will help our defense. Good player and always shows great effort.

I have been on these Jones debates many times so no real point going into it too much.

I'm aware he has had quite a few injuries but saying that only 2 of his seasons with us has he failed to player more than 39 matches and those 2 he still managed 24 games. So although he has a tendency of getting quite a few injuries they usually are not long term.

Also at 23 I don't see the point of dumping him off now. He's still young with great experience and good mentality. He needs more runs without injuries to change peoples opinion I do agree but I would find it a bit ruthless to dump him off in the summer.

We would need two defenders if he was sold in the summer, which I doubt he will be.

But United can't have him as a first choice to partner Smalling on his current run of being injured on a very regular basis.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement