Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Its in his contract that he has to be the best looking player in the squad. Gotze would make him look like the love child of Ian Dowie and Carlton Palmer.

Really? I don't see it myself.... now Mats Hummels on the other hand.... Blind would definitely have to go then :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Alex Teixeira looks a really exciting prospect and I'd love us to go after him but Chelsea apparently have that all but sown up.

He could be a brilliant signing but as you have said it looks like Chelsea will get him.He ticks a lot of the box's for what United need at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    How much would Mahrez be do you think?

Mane around 25 i reckon.

Mahrez could be 40m

Mahrez maybe even more since their owner is a billionaire. Too much money in England.

Same players would have cost 10-15 5 years ago.

We should raid spain and germany for some players but they may not adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And Scholes says the lad doesn't care.

manu.land8_.jpg?w=287&h=354&crop=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

zerks wrote: »
    And Scholes says the lad doesn't care.]

Did scholes actually say that, he's really one of my least favourite pundits.

sky88 wrote: »

TLDR version was that "Martial didn't seem to care if he missed a chance or not".Scholes pretty much slated him because of his lack of emotion on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sky88 wrote: »

no, he said he looks like a lad who isnt bother whether he scores or not (i.e. perhaps too unselfish to score goals/lacks killer instinct of top class striker while of course accepting he is only a kid.)

unfortunately, at the moment we have nobody who looks like scoring goals is their main aim.

TLDR version was that "Martial didn't seem to care if he missed a chance or not".Scholes pretty much slated him because of his lack of emotion on the pitch.

That's such a strange comment since he wasn't a guy who showed that much emotion on the pitch

93% pass rate, 100% aerial battles won, 5 interceptions,you could say Schneiderlin had a decent game today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Just a random one but would people prefer we won the FA cup and came 5th or got 4th and got knocked out in the next round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Just a random one but would people prefer we won the FA cup and came 5th or got 4th and got knocked out in the next round?

4th all day for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

93% pass rate, 100% aerial battles won, 5 interceptions,you could say Schneiderlin had a decent game today.

Vital firstly that he stays fit and secondly that he is picked every week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We had that argument a few months back but yhhh its 4th all day long for me too, while cup win wouod be nice no1 wants to join a team because they are cup winners but everyone wants to play in champs league.

Lads just as a side though financially is the champs league as important from next year onwards seen as the money in the premierleague is gonna be so crazy high. What I mean is i wonder will the likes of Liverpool or spurs if they qualified have much advantage of over a team like Stoke or Leicester or everton that finished in top half of table. I know it probably be worth 20 million or so but teams in premierleague next year will be getting alot more then that eitherway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

jayo26 wrote: »
    We had that argument a few months back but yhhh its 4th all day long for me too, while cup win wouod be nice no1 wants to join a team because they are cup winners but everyone wants to play in champs league.

Lads just as a side though financially is the champs league as important from next year onwards seen as the money in the premierleague is gonna be so crazy high. What I mean is i wonder will the likes of Liverpool or spurs if they qualified have much advantage of over a team like Stoke or Leicester or everton that finished in top half of table. I know it probably be worth 20 million or so but teams in premierleague next year will be getting alot more then that eitherway.
    We're losing a quarter of our Adidas money for the year if we don't make it. It's crucial as far as we go, could be the difference between being able to buy or pay a player or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Despite all else going on at the club, I really think that we have the makings of an excellent team on the books.

De gea, smalling, schneiderlin and hererra and Morgan up top is an excellent spine to the team talent and potential-wise, not to mention exciting young full backs shaw and darmian.

Presuming LVG moves on at the end of the season (ask it
    doesn't look like any run of form will get him sacked mid-season) he has left an excellent foundation behind him to be built on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

We're losing a quarter of our Adidas money for the year if we don't make it. It's crucial as far as we go, could be the difference between being able to buy or pay a player or not.

Oh i know it matters to us i understand that thsts why I didn't include us in it i was just asking about the other tests the fighting for 4th spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think that is true.

From what I remember reading it's a second year with CL,consecutively. We'd need to miss out this year send next too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

For me he's the best signing we've made in the post-Ferguson era.

He doesn't spit fire but he's as close to a Keane-type patrol boat in midfield as anyone in 20 years.

Partnering him with another player in the same task seems wasteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

4th over 5th\cup, sadly.

Money talks

• Advertisement

CXvzy9BWEAAbR7V.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Gut feeling we buy somebody by end of coming week.

Gut feeling we buy somebody by end of coming week.

I'm going to buy a pair of trainers this week, might not be the ones I really want but I'm not very good at shopping and I'm sticking to my budget so I get what I get.

Korat wrote: »
    I'm going to buy a pair of trainers this week, might not be the ones I really want but I'm not very good at shopping and I'm sticking to my budget so I get what I get.

Put them on the wrong feet aswell for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

It's sad that 4th place is seemingly more important that silverware. While I can understand what ye are saying I think I'd take a cup win. Just think I couldn't be happy with 4th place. It's a sad reflection that it's now seen as a better prize. Utd haven't won an FA cup in years, I'd absolutely love another one. The stature of Utd will always attract top players imo. We didn't win a league for 26 years and still had tremendous players in the club at that time, top top players in the league there in that spell so it's FA cup for me.

It's sad that 4th place is seemingly more important that silverware. While I can understand what ye are saying I think I'd take a cup win. Just think I couldn't be happy with 4th place. It's a sad reflection that it's now seen as a better prize. Utd haven't won an FA cup in years, I'd absolutely love another one. The stature of Utd will always attract top players imo. We didn't win a league for 26 years and still had tremendous players in the club at that time, top top players in the league there in that spell so it's FA cup for me.

Liverpool fell into that trap.."We are Liverpool,we have history,we'll attract top players",that doesn't happen so much for them and hasn't for a while.
    Sure,I'd like to see another FA Cup won but to attract top talent,it's all about the UCL,romance and history aren't the things that attract 99.9% of players these days,it's money and big nights playing against the best in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

So was it LVG choice to get rid of Nani. Evans, Di Maria, Falcao, RVP, Hernandez and Rafael or was he told X amount of wages had to be shifted out and replace them with young lads, on low wages and give youth a chance?

Inconsistent, not good enough, wanted to leave, past it, past it, wanted to leave, injured all the time. Most of them robbing their wages most weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sand wrote: »
    Inconsistent, not good enough, wanted to leave, past it, past it, wanted to leave, injured all the time. Most of them robbing their wages most weeks.

replaced by inconsistent, no one, no one, no one, no one, Martial and Darmian.

You can argue whether the players should have been allowed to leave or not - but the fact they were not replaced has left us with a small, weak squad. Devoid of options to bring in for injured or underperforming players. it is partly why the team has been so poor this season - so stretched, tired and comfortable in their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Liverpool fell into that trap.."We are Liverpool,we have history,we'll attract top players",that doesn't happen so much for them and hasn't for a while.
    Sure,I'd like to see another FA Cup won but to attract top talent,it's all about the UCL,romance and history aren't the things that attract 99.9% of players these days,it's money and big nights playing against the best in Europe.

We will always struggle to attract the really elite players no matter what, how many players that would be considered in top few in world football would come to Utd. Ronaldo developed into one of the best but do you think we'd have gotten him as a 25 year old superstar ? No chance imo. I think it's a slightly romantic notion that players only come for champions league football, some do but a lot come for the wages. We were winning league after league and still struggled to get some players in. I could be wrong but didn't Man City get in some really good players when they were outside champions league qualification places.

• zerks wrote: »

A Fantastic signing IMO but LVG needs to ensure he uses him correctly which he has struggled to do on occasion

Playing Himself and Carrick as 2 DM's for example is utterly stupid

• Advertisement

• zerks wrote: »
    And Scholes says the lad doesn't care.

manu.land8_.jpg?w=287&h=354&crop=1

What a signing he's turning out to be.
    FS he's only 19!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    A Fantastic signing IMO but LVG needs to ensure he uses him correctly which he has struggled to do on occasion

Playing Himself and Carrick as 2 DM's for example is utterly stupid

Problem is how deep van Gaal makes them sit and it shows he doesn't trust the defence one bit. You need a Pogba or a Vidal to play beside a player like Schneiderlin in Van Gaal's system.

2016 - Man Utd +3pts

Put them on the wrong feet aswell for good measure.

And make sure they are put on backwards with the laces on sideways and we are really on the money.

And I assume you will equally judge the players who were kept on instead and / or took their places in the squad such as Valencia, Fellaini, Jones, Lingard, Varela, Powell, Mcnair Wilson and Adnan?????

Two of those players have since been loaned out, The rest I have mentioned have been awful this season when played. most of the lads I have brought up thay you seem so quick to dismiss are all individually better than the ones I have mentioned, but hey...this is boards, the likes of you don't ever deal in reality only pure and utter reactionary nonsense.

It's amazing how selective people are when it comes to acknowledging quality players or more importantly how quickly people are to turn against players who have brought so much joy to this club in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

...in the past.

I was making the point that none of those players departing required more than a straightforward football explanation. No boardroom or fiscal belt tightening conspiracy required. They were not good enough, often enough, or in the case of two of them they wanted to leave. The players who replaced them, as you mentioned originally, are on far less money which at least frees up resources to bring in actual performers. As opposed to highly paid non-performers.
    adox wrote: »
    Ah here...

Football is fairly brutal. You cant get sentimental about players. People are judged by results. LVG is a manager with one win in nine games. People are despairing that he is still in his job. The players I referenced...most of them needed to be shipped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's amazing how selective people are

Yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Korat wrote: »
    2016 - Man Utd +3pts

WER GUNNA WIN THE LEAGUE

WER GUNNA WIN THE LEAGUE

NOW THEY'RE GUNNER BELIEVE US

WER GUNNA WIN THE LEAGUE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I was irritated that United were not winning any games so I'm really pleased that United won today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What a signing he's turning out to be.
    FS he's only 19!!

He is 20 years old now as he had his birthday recently, but yeah your point stands, great signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I havent been this excited for a young utd player since Ronaldo. Martial excites me so much and the team should be built around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was irritated that United were not winning any games so I'm really pleased that United won today.

I also like things that please me.

Headshot wrote: »
    I havent been this excited for a young utd player since Ronaldo. Martial excites me so much and the team should be built around him.

He's everything I expected depay to be runs at the defences and is just a threat when he's on the ball

I was thinking the same thing today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I have huge reservations about him also,while we need pace and a right winger, we need creativity in tight spaces and I'm not sure Mane is that player.

Surely mahrez is a lesser risk for example?

Mane is very skilful player, he is good in tight spaces. He is rapid, skillful, physically strong and a decent goal threat too. On top of that he can play in any of the attacking positions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

This will make people happy.

From the Times and Northcroft; LvG assured his job is safe by Woodward & he will stay in charge until Giggs is ready to take over

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This will make people happy.

From the Times and Northcroft; LvG assured his job is safe by Woodward & he will stay in charge until Giggs is ready to take over

I don't think people will be two worried after LVGS Double Premiership wins and treble winning final season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I don't think people will be two worried after LVGS Double Premiership wins and treble winning final season..

Quadruple or hes a failure :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anyone think we should be looking at Isco?

• Advertisement

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Jan/Louis-van-Gaal-provides-an-injury-update-after-victory-over-Swansea.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

Louis van Gaal has provided more information on the injuries sustained by Phil Jones and Ashley Young in Manchester United's 2-1 win over Swansea on Saturday.

The duo were forced off during the second half of the game at Old Trafford, and were replaced by Paddy McNair and Matteo Darmian respectively, while Ander Herrera was also withdrawn late on.

Speaking after the game, van Gaal explained that Jones has suffered a recurrence of a recent ankle injury, while Young simply had cramp after featuring regularly during the busy festive period.

“Phil Jones is injured, and it's more or less the same injury as before," van Gaal said. "Ashley Young has played a lot of matches in a row, so he was stiff and had to be changed. It was not voluntary, I changed them because I need to change."

The Reds manager also clarified the reason behind Ander Herrera's late substitution, after the Spaniard came off with just minutes remaining in the game. He added: "With Herrera, it was because I wanted to waste time, as Swansea did all match."

United are still without Jesse Lingard (hamstring) and three players who have had surgery this season - Marcos Rojo (shoulder), Antonio Valencia (ankle) and Luke Shaw (broken leg).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement