Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We really need to sign another center half in January, Jones can't be relied on and Paddy Mcnair is an accident waiting to happen every time he plays.

It's baffling how LVG thought it was a good idea to have Mcnair kept on, the man needs to be loaned out to another PL team for experience but we can't do it as we don't have enough players.

We really need to sign another center half in January, Jones can't be relied on and Paddy Mcnair is an accident waiting to happen every time he plays.

It's baffling how LVG thought it was a good idea to have Mcnair kept on, the man needs to be loaned out to another PL team for experience but we can't do it as we don't have enough players.

How does he compare to other teams 5th choice centre halves?
    Saying that I'd love us to sign a beast of a ball playing CB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Andy Cole on goals on Sunday looking a bit like the nutty professor but he has been fairly ill recently good to see him on the mend and back on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i don't believe the Giggs part of that story, to be honest. I don't think Woodward will give him the job if he gets to make the call.

i don't believe the Giggs part of that story, to be honest. I don't think Woodward will give him the job if he gets to make the call.

I do I especially think woodward will thats why he is assistant manager and thats why people like lvg and fergie has been talking him up as next manager qualities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw a stat that the only goal scored at OT in the first half of the last 9 games was by Norwich.I miss the days when teams were 3 down by half time and were glad to go home having not conceded 6 or 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had a dream last night that United beat Newcastle 0-5. Then I woke up and remembered that kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore. :(

Almost every goal scored in the PL yesterday was from a cross or a set piece.

The importance of getting the ball wide and a good delivery into the box is massive in the premier league, something up until yesterday we have been really poor at all season.

If you can get in behind teams out wide, it makes a huge difference and then get numbers into the box then chances will be created, sadly we've not been doing it often enough so far.

Need to also play with two men up front all the time- the likes of Barca and Munich and a few more like that can get away with it due to quality of their support players but by and large this one of top "philosophy" is a pile of sh*ite for clubs like United.

The panel on BBC now are adament that LVG is going nowhere and won't leave until "Giggs is ready to take over".

Absolutely disgraceful if that is allowed to happen to what's supposedly the biggest club in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well LVG ain't leaving, that's obvious now.

Just hope Giggs rumours are not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The importance of getting the ball wide and a good delivery into the box is massive in the premier league, something up until yesterday we have been really poor at all season.

If you can get in behind teams out wide, it makes a huge difference and then get numbers into the box then chances will be created, sadly we've not been doing it often enough so far.

Need to also play with two men up front all the time- the likes of Barca and Munich and a few more like that can get away with it due to quality of their support players but by and large this one of top "philosophy" is a pile of sh*ite for clubs like United.

Moyes got ran for having that as his main tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The panel on BBC now are adament that LVG is going nowhere and won't leave until "Giggs is ready to take over".

Absolutely disgraceful if that is allowed to happen to what's supposedly the biggest club in the world.

I don't understand club's obsession with Giggs as a manager. We are already behind few clubs in the league and the way club is planning (if the reports are true) then we will be even behind and end up like Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

At this stage i dont give a **** who is manager getting results is all that matters...

COME ONNNNN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Giggs seems to be uninvolved in anything on the bench, admittedly just from TV cameras. Any time there's a change being made or the camera switches to the bench it's LVG leaning over and chatting with Hoek with Giggs sitting there rubbing his stubbly chin.
    Does it come across like that at the games?

Moyes got ran for having that as his main tactic

And people have had crossing snobbery since. That game against Fulham only became an issue because we conceded a 94th minute equaliser,had we won the game nobody would have said a word and it would have went down as a game we dominated and created a f*ck load of great chances.

There is a huge difference however between doing it 60+ times a game and the suituation we are seeing now- games where we get into wide positions less than 10 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Unfortunately I fear that it will be Giggs, followed by us slipping down the league until he is fired. LvG started all this successor talk. Is he trying to recreate the Pep story ?

• Andy Cole sick :(

Was discussing it on sports sunday. Kidney failure but he's fighting it, here's hoping he makes best of recovery possible

He looked shook

• LVG mentioned Young was taken off as a precaution. Not injured, but mentioned a bit of fatigue

Discodog wrote: »
    Unfortunately I fear that it will be Giggs, followed by us slipping down the league until he is fired. LvG started all this successor talk. Is he trying to recreate the Pep story ?

Think this Giggs obsession was there before LVG came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I don't understand club's obsession with Giggs as a manager. We are already behind few clubs in the league and the way club is planning (if the reports are true) then we will be even behind and end up like Liverpool.

Surely it's all part of this horsh1te that Man Utd is a special club with tradition and values and supposedly different from all the other super clubs in Europe.Being obsessed with the past in sport is a very bad thing which Man Utd seem to be falling into this trap if they even think of appointing Gigg's as their manager without him getting some proper managerial experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Andy Cole sick :(

Was discussing it on sports sunday. Kidney failure but he's fighting it, here's hoping he makes best of recovery possible

He looked shook

Sad to hear that. Andrew Cole is one of my all-time favourites. :)

Could do with someone like him up front now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Think this Giggs obsession was there before LVG came in.

I agree. But I wonder if the LvG Pep thing is reinforcing it. I found it remarkable that LvG would virtually name Giggs as his successor. This combined with Gigg's reluctance to go & learn elsewhere is worrying.

It's funny looking how Cole got abuse in his day.

He could score, hold up the ball, control it in close quarters, cross, assist and could play in number of positions

He be best player if playing today on United team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Discodog wrote: »
    I agree. But I wonder if the LvG Pep thing is reinforcing it. I found it remarkable that LvG would virtually name Giggs as his successor. This combined with Gigg's reluctance to go & learn elsewhere is worrying.

I think lvg was told when he was taking the job the plan was for giggs to take over when his contract.

What Pep thing?

I haven't heard a rumour yet but LVG's sudden bravado about his short-term job security would suggest he's been told Mourinho isn't coming in, and that would only be believable if he was told who was going to replace him and when. Guardiola agreed in the summer ticks all conspiracy boxes for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

And people have had crossing snobbery since. That game against Fulham only became an issue because we conceded a 94th minute equaliser,had we won the game nobody would have said a word and it would have went down as a game we dominated and created a f*ck load of great chances.

There is a huge difference however between doing it 60+ times a game and the suituation we are seeing now- games where we get into wide positions less than 10 times.

No, the game against Fulham was an issue because the build-up play was so poor. Not all crossing is equal. The crap build-up to crosses that we saw under Moyes, and still see under Van Gaal, is the real problem, not the number of crosses. We're actually fourth in the league for crosses per game with 23.

Korat wrote: »
    What Pep thing?

I haven't heard a rumour yet but LVG's sudden bravado about his short-term job security would suggest he's been told Mourinho isn't coming in, and that would only be believable if he was told who was going to replace him and when. Guardiola agreed in the summer ticks all conspiracy boxes for me. :)

That's not true.

Pro. F wrote: »
    That's not true.

You think he's not been around the block enough to see through a rudimentary pre-sacking vote of confidence?

He was on the verge of handing in his resignation, you don't turn around from that unless you're sure you know what's coming next. Saying he can see out his contract is just not credible, nor is Giggs taking over in the summer. Being told that a bigger name than Mourinho is coming in the summer would be about the only thing that could give you confidence in your short-term future, given the current state of affairs.

Korat wrote: »
    You think he's not been around the block enough to see through a rudimentary pre-sacking vote of confidence?

He was on the verge of handing in his resignation, you don't turn around from that unless you're sure you know what's coming next. Saying he can see out his contract is just not credible, nor is Giggs taking over in the summer. Being told that a bigger name than Mourinho is coming in the summer would be about the only thing that could give you confidence in your short-term future, given the current state of affairs.

I think all your speculation on this is daft.

• Advertisement

It's funny looking how Cole got abuse in his day.

He could score, hold up the ball, control it in close quarters, cross, assist and could play in number of positions

He be best player if playing today on United team.

He didn't have the best of starts and it took him 3 seasons to settle in.

He Did score some goals but it was a case of 5 or 6 chances to score one goal. That west Ham game in 1995 haunted him for 4 years until 99

He Did score some goals but it was a case of 5 or 6 chances to score one goal. That west Ham game in 1995 haunted him for 4 years until 99

He had a good start, he was ticking over nicely considering he was changing from being the main man at Newcastle, being fed by Beardsley. He adapted very quickly, I thought.

It was the West Ham game and Glenn Hoddle's character assassination that hit his reputation in the media.

This is the place for it though. ;)

His goals to game ratio was better the Shearer if take away penalties, so thats simple not true.

His quality of chances rather quantity was the issue, if looking for scape goat.

Also in his dark seasons from 94\95 and 95\96 he was still in top 2 assists.

You also seem to forget the terrific 97\98 seasons and fact he had had his 2 legs broken the season before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

But you stated it's not true as fact, how do you know it's not true have you been given the inside track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Hopefully Everton can do a job on Spurs. Would leave us just two points off 4th.

• Advertisement

His goals to game ratio was better the Shearer if take away penalties, so thats simple not true.

His quality of chances rather quantity was the issue, if looking for scape goat.

Also in his dark seasons from 94\95 and 95\96 he was still in top 2 assists.

You also seem to forget the terrific 97\98 seasons and fact he had had his 2 legs broken the season before.

You are giving him far too much credit. You've already said he got a lot of criticism, all I am saying is that it was justified for his first three seasons.

He got 5 goals in one game which made his early stats look better. Reality is however he had a lot of costly misses and it stuck with him for 3 years.

Around 1996 he was more had more pity at him than abuse, things got so bad

You are giving him far too much credit. You've already said he got a lot of criticism, all I am saying is that it was justified for his first three seasons.

He got 5 goals in one game which made his early stats look better. Reality is however he had a lot of costly misses and it stuck with him for 3 years.

Around 1996 he was more had more pity at him than abuse, things got so bad

People seem to want remember him for the bad games rather then the good ones.

He scored some crucial goals in 94/95 season when he signed. You would swear league was won and lost on last round of fixtures.

So what if he scored 5 in one game? That's case we get rid of Shearer's hattricks so too.

People didn't have pity on him in 1996, he got slated for all quarters. Remember the jokes about himself and Cantona?

And it wasn't 3 seasons. In October 1996 he had his 2 legs broken and played in away game against Forest that December scoring the 4th I recall. He was also terrific in 97/98 season, but because we lost the league people think he was ****, which is not true. Even in the 95/96 season he was 2nd highest in assists behind Giggs.

People seemed to take Glenn Hoddle assertions of him way too literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Didn't both of Utd's goals yesterday come from crosses?

But you stated it's not true as fact, how do you know it's not true have you been given the inside track?

What do you think I said was untrue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Giggs seems to be uninvolved in anything on the bench, admittedly just from TV cameras. Any time there's a change being made or the camera switches to the bench it's LVG leaning over and chatting with Hoek with Giggs sitting there rubbing his stubbly chin.
    Does it come across like that at the games?

I can only speak from the one game this season, but they do talk and interact at what I would describe as a normal amount :)

From what I have seen on tv that is also the way, the other assistant is Albert Stuivenburg ;)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

For bangkok and to answer flints question well kinda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl3tTyCrnn4

Spurs all over Everton so far, really exciting to watch like United of old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Like watching United lately, dominate a game and concede a silly goal:D

Cleverly showing his passing skills was lovely goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Cracking goal by Lennon, completely against the run of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The game was 12 mins in when you posted that.

The score was 0-0.

Spurs are 4th in the league.

Now, grasp each one of those statements individually, then look at them all collectively and finally, review your comparison to "United of old".

Also, as a kicker for bullsh*t comparisons, the current United were three goals better off at this stage away to Everton this season.

astradave wrote: »
    Like watching United lately, dominate a game and concede a silly goal:D

Great goal in fairness, real old style diagonal ball to the front man and knock down.

Definition of smash and grab so far, spurs were coasting and ripping Everton apart until the goal. There's goals here for Spurs surely though.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Cleverly showing his passing skills was lovely goal.

Don't mind our old players how are our new ones doing :)

Very enjoyable game. Spurs better side, but Everton look dangerous also..

Should be more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That is a goal and a half by Alli. He's some talent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement