Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

astradave wrote: »
    You got a link to this? haven't seen much about him being linked except in the tabloids

https://twitter.com/manutdvines/status/683751694845493249

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

secman wrote: »
    We have yet to buy a decent Anderson...

Of course your right but wouldn't surprise me if there's truth behind it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hococop wrote: »
    Hey I'm an eagles fan, not been a good year for us, ye will still beat the broncos,

Back on topic, would anyone be worried about signing mane after the incident with koeman , also is the isco stories are true I'd love to sign him

I'd like it if the Chargers beat the Broncos right now and did us a big favour!

Tough season alright, but the right call made by firing Chip. Always have a soft spot for the eagles, mainly cause of Vince Papale ;)

To veer back toward topic I am hoping that if we are to be making moves for a player in the window that they get done early, we deal with a club who understand it is better for them to also sell early so they have plenty of time to replace if they are going to lose someone.

Probably won't though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Headshot wrote: »
    I some times find it hard to understand utd transfer planning. Anderson has been awful this season and plays mostly on the left, the same position Depay normally plays so wouldn't that suggest utd are giving up on Depay.

Utd and transfer windows are recipe for disaster

Anderson can play anywhere though in an attacking sense and though he is having a poor season it is hardly a reason to drop all interest in a player if scouting has suggested he would be a good fit etc.

There are many things that factor in to having a poor season :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I some times find it hard to understand utd transfer planning. Anderson has been awful this season and plays mostly on the left, the same position Depay normally plays so wouldn't that suggest utd are giving up on Depay.

Probably 2+2 = 5 on that one, man. I don't think signing a player who plays left, right and centrally, means that United giving up on Depay? I think he'll be given every chance, especially considering his age.

The "that deal said to be getting ever closer" doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement that it's going to happen. It sounds more like a paper review or something.

At this stage, I would take any young player with pace, and the ability (and balls) to take on and beat defenders. Martial makes things happen just because he is doing the right thing. Lingard did that against CSKA too. Young did it from RB on Saturday.

Mata is a fantastic player but he is completely unsuitable for the wing IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

At least Anderson is quick, a lot quicker than I thought Depay was, although I'm not sure what use his pace will be under Van Gaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The question you have to ask is if he's a good enough player or not, I wouldn't rule someone out on form alone. Would you turn your nose up at Hazard for instance?

At least Anderson is quick, a lot quicker than I thought Depay was, although I'm not sure what use his pace will be under Van Gaal

Same use Martial's is?

Same use Martial's is?

I think Martial's composure and footwork have been far more important to us than his pace. The best bits I've seen of Anderson have been utilising his pace against a defence on the back foot not up against a packed defence.

To Martial's credit he has been doing outrageous things against the odds in Van Gaal's system. Depay has struggled party because of settling in but mostly because of the system imo, he is not as good as Martial in close quarters, look at the goals Depay scored between 2013-2014 and you can see clear as day the style of play suited him to the ground and he will do a lot better in a team that doesn't play against a wall of 8 players 95% of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anderson is fat.

• Advertisement

I think Martial's composure and footwork have been far more important to us than his pace. The best bits I've seen of Anderson have been utilising his pace against a defence on the back foot not up against a packed defence.

To Martial's credit he has been doing outrageous things against the odds in Van Gaal's system. Depay has struggled party because of settling in but mostly because of the system imo, he is not as good as Martial in close quarters, look at the goals Depay scored between 2013-2014 and you can see clear as day the style of play suited him to the ground and he will do a lot better in a team that doesn't play against a wall of 8 players 95% of the time

He will never make it at a top team in that case, I prefer to be patient with him and have faith that he can improve his game to a level where he does not need a load of space to be an influence. "The system" doesn't make other teams play defensively against United, playing United makes them do that. He will either adapt and up his game or he will move on.

Having Anderson in the team would certainly help, pace is something lacking and the ability to transition defence into attack faster would only be better with guys like Anderson in the team, he would compliment Martial quite well I think and don't see a downside to him coming in to the squad as things stand really.

Martial's pace has certainly helped him, the defenders respect it and take it into account when they are faced with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I thought there were a couple of signs in the Swansea game that Mata and Martial are beginning to gel. Mata very nearly put him through on goal a couple of times with some lovely quick passes.

He will never make it at a top team in that case, I prefer to be patient with him and have faith that he can improve his game to a level where he does not need a load of space to be an influence. "The system" doesn't make other teams play defensively against United, playing United makes them do that. He will either adapt and up his game or he will move on.

Having Anderson in the team would certainly help, pace is something lacking and the ability to transition defence into attack faster would only be better with guys like Anderson in the team, he would compliment Martial quite well I think and don't see a downside to him coming in to the squad as things stand really.

Martial's pace has certainly helped him, the defenders respect it and take it into account when they are faced with him.

Teams don't look at it as playing defensively, teams look at it as outwitting United on a tactical level and it's worked to great effect for a lot of teams against us this season. Why come to OT to go all out attack when it is proven record they can counter and have a good chance of picking up points. They are adaptive, which is where Van Gaal fails, it's simply not good enough to say "well what can we do if they have 10 men behind the ball" you see other top teams have game plans to get around this to create the space needed instead of constant probing and all time record lows in chances created at home. Our players are better than this, the problem is the last 3 seasons we've had poor systems which boils down to poor management.

On Depay I'm not talking about the quality of the opposition I'm talking about him being more effective in a different system, have watched 3 or 4 top teams play in the last week alone along with our games and the difference is completely noticeable. Talk about Anderson's pace making a difference to the transition to attack but Martial Depay and Lingard are quick enough yet haven't done this because it's not what Van Gaal really wants, when he wants quick transition to attack he plays Fellaini and we play "long passes" as he likes to call them, quick transition to attack would mean far more risk of losing the ball in the second third and ourselves being caught unorganised and that is what Van Gaal doesn't want, his whole philosophy encourages slower transition to attack.

To sum it up I ask myself as an example if Ancelotti was manager would it be the same as it is now, and I think it is a resounding no. I don't think we would struggle to create. A signing like Felipe Anderson would sound great if someone like Carlo was in charge. When Madrid were having problems transitioning to attack Ancelotti assessed the situation, tweaked the system, gave Di Maria a new position, the balance he created in the second half of the season was great.

Do you think Martial pace has been any use under LVG. Do you think Shaws pace has been.

Its nonsense that players with pace are useless under LVG, sure we wont be a counter attack team but there are times when we go a goal up and teams switch tactics we have way more space and opportunity to attack but we honestly have so many average paced or slow players in our team.

Also even with 10 men behind the ball having pace to beat a man will pull others out of position who need to close him and create gaps. Like with our 2nd goal last week.

Again I think its nonsense that pace is of no use under Van Gall and I welcome it as it is one area we are majorly lacking in.

And no I don't want to sign Usain Bolt any smart arse thats outs there.

Speaking of Shaw, when's he back? This season even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The way Shaw started out I think things would look quite different if he hadn't been injured. Naturally I don't think United would setting the world on fire, but I reckon there'd be a few more points on the board and things wouldn't look quite as grim. It's such a shame, he looked superb at the beginning of the season. :(

Teams don't look at it as playing defensively, teams look at it as outwitting United on a tactical level and it's worked to great effect for a lot of teams against us this season. Why come to OT to go all out attack when it is proven record they can counter and have a good chance of picking up points. They are adaptive, which is where Van Gaal fails, it's simply not good enough to say "well what can we do if they have 10 men behind the ball" you see other top teams have game plans to get around this to create the space needed instead of constant probing and all time record lows in chances created at home. Our players are better than this, the problem is the last 3 seasons we've had poor systems which boils down to poor management.

On Depay I'm not talking about the quality of the opposition I'm talking about him being more effective in a different system, have watched 3 or 4 top teams play in the last week alone along with our games and the difference is completely noticeable. Talk about Anderson's pace making a difference to the transition to attack but Martial Depay and Lingard are quick enough yet haven't done this because it's not what Van Gaal really wants, when he wants quick transition to attack he plays Fellaini and we play "long passes" as he likes to call them, quick transition to attack would mean far more risk of losing the ball in the second third and ourselves being caught unorganised and that is what Van Gaal doesn't want, his whole philosophy encourages slower transition to attack.

To sum it up I ask myself as an example if Ancelotti was manager would it be the same as it is now, and I think it is a resounding no. I don't think we would struggle to create. A signing like Felipe Anderson would sound great if someone like Carlo was in charge. When Madrid were having problems transitioning to attack Ancelotti assessed the situation, tweaked the system, gave Di Maria a new position, the balance he created in the second half of the season was great.

You are approaching the subject from a position of strong confirmation bias imo so there is little for us to do other then agree to disagree tbh.

The way Shaw started out I think things would look quite different if he hadn't been injured. Naturally I don't think United would setting the world on fire, but I reckon there'd be a few more points on the board and things wouldn't look quite as grim. It's such a shame, he looked superb at the beginning of the season. :(

I'd agree with this, he would have helped Memphis a lot I think with overlapping runs and inside bursts which would have given him more space. His pace terrifies defenders when he starts to run in behind, since Memphis loves to come in on his right he would benefit a lot from that space it would create.

I don't think we would be romping our way to the title or anything, but he would certainly be making a big difference imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

For bangkok and to answer flints question well kinda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl3tTyCrnn4

whats this now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Speaking of Shaw, when's he back? This season even?

I reckon we will see him by end of season, judging by his recovery so far.

But hopefully he is not rushed back either

The last thing we want is him to be rushed back, if he is going well by all means begin re-introducing him when he is ready but he has his whole career ahead of him and no reason to be rushed and jeopardise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I hope he doesn't come back this season. If he's back by May you can be sure he'll be picked for the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd nearly rather not see him back before the end of the season as there is nothing surer than if he is back for us, Woy will bring him to the Euros. I'd rather he take his time and get a proper pre season behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't really believe the Felipe Anderson stories.

Sadio Mane acted like a person over the weekend like a person looking for a move by turning up late. He scored three goals this though so is he the right player and he costs a lot too.

We should do what it takes to get John Stones, he is a very good footballer and very comfortable on the ball. He fits a few different bills - English, a central defender, highly talented and a long term future. Would be a shame to see him elsewhere if and when he leaves Everton.
    Whatever the case we need to buy a CB to partner Smalling, can't rely on Jones to stay fit, if he is fit it just means the next injury is close by.

Ibrahimovic in the summer? No thanks, he is in the twilight of his career and there are so many better options with long term futures, Lukaku and Kane, both still very young with long careers ahead of them barring injury, proven goalscorers and showing a consistence, the same consistent type of player that United would purchase in the past like Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Van Nistelrooy and so on.
    Martial is in the Ronaldo category at the moment, Memphis the ? mark category at this stage. Though Memphis did give us goals early in the season and some vital goals too, his form seemed to die with the broken leg of Shaw.

I wonder if we will make a bid for Youri Tielemans, the 18 year old Belgian given United were said to have scouted him as recently as a few weeks ago, and we have been linked for a while now. Valued highly at around €30 million.

Anyway I did this 'which manager are you?', I got Louis Van Gaal, please don't hate me :pac:
    http://games.express.co.uk/quizzes-games?pb_page=4&game=arkadiuminc13/which-epl-football-manager-are-you&_ga=1.127949260.1195057544.1450549695

The boss of Adidas is unhappy with United and their style of play.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/adidas-boss-says-he-s-uneasy-with-man-united-style-under-lvg

Herbert Hainer is happy with the the sales side though.
    "This success confirms again that Man United is not just a football club. With more than 650 million fans globally, it is, without doubt, one of the world's most supported sports symbols. This special club has not only a rich history, but also a reputation for success and the unexpected."

But Herbert is not fully happy.
    "Business with Man United is going very well, we sell more shirts than expected... We are satisfied, even if the current playing style of Man United is not exactly what we want to see."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RobertKK wrote: »
    The boss of Adidas is unhappy with United and their style of play.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/adidas-boss-says-he-s-uneasy-with-man-united-style-under-lvg

Herbert Hainer is happy with the the sales side though.
    "This success confirms again that Man United is not just a football club. With more than 650 million fans globally, it is, without doubt, one of the world's most supported sports symbols. This special club has not only a rich history, but also a reputation for success and the unexpected."

But Herbert is not fully happy.
    "Business with Man United is going very well, we sell more shirts than expected... We are satisfied, even if the current playing style of Man United is not exactly what we want to see."

Sounds more like they're happy with United but not with their style of play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"Marouane Fellaini has emerged as a transfer target for AC Milan, according to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.
    The Manchester United midfielder is on fringes of the team at Old Trafford, and reportedly could move in January to secure regular football ahead of Euro 2016."

sell sell sell!!!

https://twitter.com/skysportsnewshq/status/683986087069487104

Like trying to put a square peg in a round hole, eventually you'd have the common sense to try another one

https://twitter.com/BSchweinsteiger/status/683956377639862272

I bet he has his calendar on his phone full of reminders, as he never forgets to give out a birthday wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I bet he has his calendar on his phone full of reminders, as he never forgets to give out a birthday wish.
    Seems to becoming more and more clear that his move to Utd was maybe less to do with Man Utd increasing their brand as it was with Bastian Schweinsteiger increasing his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Canadel wrote: »
    Seems to becoming more and more clear that his move to Utd was maybe less to do with Man Utd increasing their brand as it was with Bastian Schweinsteiger increasing his.

Because he has his pr people send out a birthday wish??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

bangkok wrote: »
    "Marouane Fellaini has emerged as a transfer target for AC Milan, according to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.
    The Manchester United midfielder is on fringes of the team at Old Trafford, and reportedly could move in January to secure regular football ahead of Euro 2016."

sell sell sell!!!

Fellaini would have to take a pretty big wage cut to join Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

glued wrote: »
    Fellaini would have to take a pretty big wage cut to join Milan.

And a pretty big hair cut. You wouldn't go far with that afro in the Italian summer.

Canadel wrote: »

I think he wanted a new challenge and to to keep his brother Toby happy, as he is a United fan.
    United have been better since he returned from suspension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

https://twitter.com/skysportsnewshq/status/683986087069487104

Like trying to put a square peg in a round hole, eventually you'd have the common sense to try another one

on one hand, its apparent that practically every team that comes to Old Trafford, does so with 11 men behind the ball from the kick off. its working for almost everybody (within reason) and when you see Liverpool and City doing it, then you know the template is out there in a world where video analysis and stats is now a huge part of the game.

on the other, its been apparent for about 10 months now whats happening and as yet, LVG is not able to figure out a way to adapt our game to it, we just keep trying the same thing over and over again. playing 2 holding DMs is one problem, playing Mata out of position is another and playing only one striker in the box is a 3rd.

The fact that its taken him this long is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaan---deeeeer- son son son
    He'll be better than Anderson

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

So what's the story on this Anderson player,has anyone watched him consistently over the last season or 2 or are we just hoping he's as good as the talk from the rags suggest?
    I've probably only seen Lazio 2 or 3 times the past 2 or 3 seasons and never noticed him,the only player they had that i felt had a bit about him's the Hernanes lad that Inter signed and is now with Juve. :confused:

So what's the story on this Anderson player,has anyone watched him consistently over the last season or 2 or are we just hoping he's as good as the talk from the rags suggest?
    I've probably only seen Lazio 2 or 3 times the past 2 or 3 seasons and never noticed him,the only player they had that i felt had a bit about him's the Hernanes lad that Inter signed and is now with Juve. :confused:

only watched him a couple of times but he reminds me alot like Memphis.

according to a couple of lads who i work with who are Italian and big into their football, his form overall this season has been poor and he isnt worth the money or risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kroos reportedly extremely unhappy at Madrid, having being targetted by fans. Not the "galactico" they hoped for.

#AgentBasti

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Being linked with Lokomotiv Moscow’s Oumar Niasse for £15m. Was Russian Player of the Year 2015. Guardian are saying us, Chelsea and Spurs have been scouting him a lot over the last few months, that Monaco and Bayer Leverkusen have had bids turned down. Also says his wife is based in Manchester so he wants a move there, and Everton, Newcastle United and Aston Villa are also interested.

12 goals and 10 assists so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

All the Italian commentators indicate the Lazio president isnt adverse to cashing in, and Anderson is an extremely hot and cold player with massive streaky patches. That they would be more then willing to offload him considering the large fee United will probably arrive with.

While seeing little of him first hand, all the indication and comment seems negative, and basically a brilliant coup for Lazio is it happens. So I'm hoping it doesn't come to pass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »

Probably means we missed Jose. Again :(

Lord TSC wrote: »

Don't believe the powers that be want Mourniho to ever be at United.

Wouldn't be surprised if Zidane took over at Real Madrid.

Don't believe the powers that be want Mourniho to ever be at United.

it seems that LVG and Giggs is our lot for the next 3 or 4 years anyway unless they surprise us all and get Pep in the summer, which i dont think anybody on here expects now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »

Probably, which makes me extremely sad

Ballague posted this then

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/684018512415817729

Looks like he is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rafa to United?

Naw!

astradave wrote: »
    Probably, which makes me extremely sad

Ballague posted this then

https://twitter.com/GuillemBalague/status/684018512415817729

Looks like he is gone

probably was inevitable anyway but if it does happen, people can say it was gary neville that ended his tenure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

probably was inevitable anyway but if it does happen, people can say it was gary neville that ended his tenure :)

So Neville will be partially responsible for Rafa taking over United :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rafa to United?

Naw!

My money is on him going back to Valencia from next season.

As much as I don't like him. Madrid are ****in mad sacking him now unless they have Jose lined up.. word is that Zidane is taking over. Crazy if that's true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement