Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

astradave wrote: »
    My money is on him going back to Valencia from next season.

As much as I don't like him. Madrid are ****in mad sacking him now unless they have Jose lined up.. word is that Zidane is taking over. Crazy if that's true.

Agree.

I respect what Rafa has done in management and wish him well, but no idea where some are getting him coming to OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Agree.

I respect what Rafa has done in management and wish him well, but no idea where some are getting him coming to OT

i guess its just simple process of elimination really, all the other top clubs will probably have top class managers next season except for United, so if say LVG went and then Giggs were to fail/they dont trust him enough to do the job, then theres not alot of choice out there is there?

i dont think our board however would be that stupid to give Rafa the job, there would be anarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if posted but rumours out of Italy that Fellaini is wanted by AC Milan with either a permanent deal or a loan for the remainder of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

zerks wrote: »
    Not sure if posted but rumours out of Italy that Fellaini is wanted by AC Milan with either a permanent deal or a loan for the remainder of the season.

I posted earlier.

I'm going to drive him to the airport and pay for his flight as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    I posted earlier.

I heard you were looking after 50 percent of his wages too and offered a nice signing on fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/684026557950734337

Reports of a press conference later too..

Jose is still available.. get moving Ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I posted earlier.

Ok if we do sell how much would you expect to get for him? And remember don't let your hatred for him adjust the value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I posted earlier.

You are probably sitting there spamming the f5 button on twitter at the hash tag #Fellaini with cock in hand :pac:

Bangkok if Fellaini leaves:

EctoPlasm.jpg

Hococop wrote: »
    Ok if we do sell how much would you expect to get for him? And remember don't let your hatred for him adjust the value

around 8-10m. can see him going on loan until the summer though if he is going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i guess its just simple process of elimination really, all the other top clubs will probably have top class managers next season except for United, so if say LVG went and then Giggs were to fail/they dont trust him enough to do the job, then theres not alot of choice out there is there?

i dont think our board however would be that stupid to give Rafa the job, there would be anarchy.

If LVG goes for another year and then gives it to Giggs, we have at least 2 and a half years til a proper manager search is done. To saythe choice would be limited seems odd.

Pocehtino could have continued to prove himself at Spurs and be the next big thing. Simeone could be looking for a new challenge. Who knows what manager could rise up over the next couple of years. Martinez could ahve realised you need to defend as well. Koeman could have pushed on, as could De Boer. Blanc might be one worth looking at. Maybe some manager i've never heard of in France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc will revolutionise the game like people feel Jose and Pep did.

This idea that only Pep, Mourinho, Ancellotti or, I guess in this case, Benitez, can manage a top side is insane. The first 3 will clearly be targets for top sides who actually have an idea what they are doing, but there will always be plenty of other options.

• Advertisement

If LVG goes for another year and then gives it to Giggs, we have at least 2 and a half years til a proper manager search is done. To saythe choice would be limited seems odd.

Pocehtino could have continued to prove himself at Spurs and be the next big thing. Simeone could be looking for a new challenge. Who knows what manager could rise up over the next couple of years. Martinez could ahve realised you need to defend as well. Koeman could have pushed on, as could De Boer. Blanc might be one worth looking at. Maybe some manager i've never heard of in France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc will revolutionise the game like people feel Jose and Pep did.

This idea that only Pep, Mourinho, Ancellotti or, I guess in this case, Benitez, can manage a top side is insane. The first 3 will clearly be targets for top sides who actually have an idea what they are doing, but there will always be plenty of other options.

Or giggs could win the league and we aint looking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

on one hand, its apparent that practically every team that comes to Old Trafford, does so with 11 men behind the ball from the kick off. its working for almost everybody (within reason) and when you see Liverpool and City doing it, then you know the template is out there in a world where video analysis and stats is now a huge part of the game.

on the other, its been apparent for about 10 months now whats happening and as yet, LVG is not able to figure out a way to adapt our game to it, we just keep trying the same thing over and over again. playing 2 holding DMs is one problem, playing Mata out of position is another and playing only one striker in the box is a 3rd.

The fact that its taken him this long is baffling.

Exactly. All these teams know our style and set up the same way. Our December meltdown will only encourage teams further.

As of Jan 1st its

psw3ZjX.png

and although the possession has been retained well.....

jcZHxvN.png

....... it deosn't excuse the failings up front. So we are primarily for the first time in a long time a possession based team. Thats one things he has certainly pulled off well and changed us into. The lack of cutting edge can't be excused, which the no goals the first half stat shows because Arsenal work better as a unit up front.

LvG of course knows the problem......
    LvG. "We scored two beautiful goals but we need to score with our first chances. Then I am sitting on the bench relaxing and so are the fans."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/watch-louis-van-gaals-press-7109196

........which he sort of addressed Saturday. It was only a midfield holding player of one rather than two a lot of the time. Morgan stayed back whilst Basti and Herrera were allowed to roam higher up. It didn't work as well as I would have liked because Morgan didn't play well imo. Three at the back also at times. He changed it and it worked although we had a few scares and I would like to see more of this but then he says this in the post presser

“I think we played a very risky system against Swansea because they had a shape with four midfielders in a diamond," he told the BBC.

So he would naturally like to play the way were before (as its safer defensively) but with more cutting edge up front. The answer and problem as I've always said lies in the transfer market. LvG has brought in some very good players (Shaw, Darmain, Basti, Herrera, Martial and Morgan) some stellar names (ADM and Falcao) both who flopped and some players I was excited about that turned out to be average so far (Memphis). Its been hit and miss.

He has gotten ridden of players we could use right now (RVP, Chico and Nani) but I still think he could do a good job at UTD but it all depends on the transfer windows.

I don't have much faith when I hear names like Fellipe Anderson getting mentioned though. He's not a name you'd associate with UTD and Lazio fans will tell you he's very good when he wants to be but highly inconsistent . If you swapped out Barca's front three for UTD pre December when we were defensively sound obviously we would have a lot more points and possibly still be top. That's not the real world and realistically Neymar aside that kind of quality is hard to get.

If LvG cant get the right players in and further consolidate that possession and defensive foundations we would be a lot better to look and win a lot more.

I see room for a player in each area but all of them need to be "ball carriers". Stones for example in defense, another quality midfeilder and a striker who is quick footed and can hold the ball up. Martial can be that type of player if we buy a RW but I don't think Anderson is what we need. Making the transition from DF to MF to attack more fluid could be done with these types of players.

The windows are crucial to LvG's UTD reign now.

I posted earlier.

while id love to see the back of him, like LVG he is going nowhere unless we actually sign 3 players in January.

the reality is him leaving, would see us drop to only have 16 senior outfield players and thats just robbing Peter to pay Paul. i would rather Fellaini in the team as opposed to some unproven 18 year old who looks completely out of his depth.

Adidas boss says he's not happy with the style of play even if we are selling a shed load of jerseys.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/adidas-chief-admits-manchester-united-style-not-exactly-what-we-want-to-see-S11364031873144

while id love to see the back of him, like LVG he is going nowhere unless we actually sign 3 players in January.

the reality is him leaving, would see us drop to only have 16 senior outfield players and thats just robbing Peter to pay Paul. i would rather Fellaini in the team as opposed to some unproven 18 year old who looks completely out of his depth.

I don't think van gaal even rates him to be honest, he wanted him gone when he joined and only an ankle injury prevented him joining napoli

is there any poster on here who thinks keeping LVG and then giving Giggs the job eventually, (if that was to happen), is the correct thing to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

is there any poster on here who thinks keeping LVG and then giving Giggs the job eventually, (if that was to happen), is the correct thing to do?

Giving Giggs the job would be laughable and, as such, I doubt if it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

zerks wrote: »
    Adidas boss says he's not happy with the style of play even if we are selling a shed load of jerseys.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/adidas-chief-admits-manchester-united-style-not-exactly-what-we-want-to-see-S11364031873144

Well Adidas can go away with that ****e.

Giving Giggs the job would be laughable and, as such, I doubt if it will happen.

its a very realistic possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I dont want it to happen but i think its going to. i think he has enough backers from the club and it seems like the plan was to get the class of 92 managing the team.

I think if jose was going to come in it would be done already.

of course they could be trying to get pep but i feel hes a certainty to city and we moved too late for him and ancilotti.

• Advertisement

I suppose that's a matter of perspective. I don't consider it realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Whoever is responsible for that decision should be fired. It'd be interesting to see who really rates Giggs at OT because he was forced on LVG and Moyes as their number two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sadly, every "credible" source, in so far as there is any, seems to believe it's the route the club see going forwards :/

Zidane will be an interesting case to follow now. If he does well, he will be held up as an example by one who want Giggs. If he fails, he will be held against him.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sadly, every "credible" source, in so far as there is any, seems to believe it's the route the club see going forwards :/

Zidane will be an interesting case to follow now. If he does well, he will be held up as an example by one who want Giggs. If he fails, he will be held against him.

Sure time will tell. If Giggs were to succeed LVG as anything other than an interim / caretaker manager I'd be absolutely stunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Every "credible" source thought LvG had two games to save his job didn't they? look how that turned out....

Fellaini gave nothing but 100% to this club, never seen him moan once, even though he has been played in many different positions some of which would have been out of his comfort zone. Got booed by the his own fans at one stage and didn't let it effect him. Maybe he is not the a superstar or doesn't look like some peoples preconceived view of what a footballer should look like but its a disgrace people would be celebrating and joking about his departure.

If he does go he should be thanked for his contribution to the club and wished every success in the future.

Its crazy someone who always gave 100% would be spoken of in that manner.

Fellaini gave nothing but 100% to this club, never seen him moan once, even though he has been played in many different positions some of which would have been out of his comfort zone. Got booed by the his own fans at one stage and didn't let it effect him. Maybe he is not the a superstar or doesn't look like some peoples preconceived view of what a footballer should look like but its a disgrace people would be celebrating and joking about his departure.

If he does go he should be thanked for his contribution to the club and wished every success in the future.

Its crazy someone who always gave 100% would be spoken of in that manner.

He's tall though. And hasn't single-handedly won the league. And Ed paid too much for him, which is his fault. And his hair. He brought it all on himself tbf, doesn't matter if he has been fully professional and done everything that was asked of him.

Are they the same credible sources that said LVG had 2 games to keep his job, games which he got 1 point from but stayed in his job or are they other credible ones?

What Vic said. :D

Pretty good tactical/statistical analysis of United here -

• Advertisement

Every "credible" source thought LvG had two games to save his job didn't they? look how that turned out....

did they? i recall 1 or two, the bast majority of "Van Gaal sacked" or "jose agrees 5 year deal" came from red tops.

neither do i. but sadly the people at the club seem to do. he was put in under Moyes and again under LVG.

did they? i recall 1 or two, the bast majority of "Van Gaal sacked" or "jose agrees 5 year deal" came from red tops.

That's your selective memory at work again.

That was a weird one. The journalists were obviously briefed by someone on that. Ducker, Ladyman and Ogden all wrote identical stories too close together for it to be a copy paste, and usually that means it's coming from someone inside the club.

I don't know what happened, if the trio got a line from Ed who never thought we wouldn't get a win over the two games, from someone else trying to put pressure on LVG or if the trio knew their reputation so decided to work together.

That was a weird one. The journalists were obviously briefed by someone on that. Ducker, Ladyman and Ogden all wrote identical stories too close together for it to be a copy paste, and usually that means it's coming from someone inside the club.

I don't know what happened, if the trio got a line from Ed who never thought we wouldn't get a win over the two games, from someone else trying to put pressure on LVG or if the trio knew their reputation so decided to work together.

I read somewhere else that 2 of them recently got promotions so would have a heavier work load or something and wouldn't have as much ITK about United in future (no idea why or which 2 got promotions) but if thats true maybe they just decided to use their stature to spin a story.

Pretty good tactical/statistical analysis of United here -

he gives far too much credit to united having a good defence. the team is "good" defensively but this is down to other factors as opposed to us having good defenders both individually or collectively.

teams sit back against us so dont attack us as much,
    we have more possession so opposition have less chance of creating chances.
    we play with 2 defensive midfielders, so we rarely get over run in midfield.

the reality is that our defence in terms of quality is not as good as it should be - practically everybody thinks we need to buy a first choice center half and with Shaw out for 8 months, people think that we need a better LB than Daley Blind also.

we have also been amazingly lucky in some games that we didn't concede goals, something LVG constantly forgets to mention when he keeps saying United were unlucky. when teams have attacked us, like Arsenal & Palace for example, we have looked all over the place at the back and the likes of Swansea & West Ham have opened us up at Old Trafford also without getting goals.

• Please god we keep Fellaini

For the Bangkok lols of course
    Oh and the added bonus of pissing off pool fans with his elbows etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Reports of Benitez being sacked. That gives us another option to go for after LVG ( :pac: :pac: :pac: )

Giggs;)

Ogden all wrote identical stories too close together for it to be a copy paste, and usually that means it's coming from someone inside the club.

Ogdan wrote the article below on the same day as the "two games away from sacking" stories came out, suggesting that he would be given time to sort it out. theres multiple ways of interpreting this - covering his backside, briefed by two different people, they were happy with the Chelsea performance and that was enough to keep him given the "easier" games coming up etc etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-waits-to-take-charge-at-manchester-united-as-louis-van-gaal-buys-time-with-work-behind-a6782301.html

some key points in there -
    there remains a sense of business as usual ahead of the trip to Stoke City on Boxing Day, which may yet decide the manager’s fate.
    While senior figures at the club are aware of tensions within the dressing room and a diminishing faith among the squad in Van Gaal’s methods, the former Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach has yet to be cut adrift by the Glazers and executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward
    Work done by Van Gaal behind the scenes since succeeding David Moyes as manager in July 2014 is regarded as a success story by Woodward and the Glazers and, although United crashed out of the Champions League during a run of three defeats, it is his overall contribution at the club that is now earning him a stay of execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

RobertKK wrote: »
    I think he wanted a new challenge and to to keep his brother Toby happy, as he is a United fan.
    United have been better since he returned from suspension.
    He hasn't exactly risen to the challenge. He's a mercenary just like Di Maria and Falcao. Van Gaal is selling the club's soul along with soulless football. Should never have been trusted with transfer dealings after he forced Welbeck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Sorry if already posted, I haven't read back a few pages back... Adidas not happy with our playing style!

From the BBC -
    Man Utd's playing style 'not exactly what Adidas want to see'

Manchester United's playing style is not what kit sponsor Adidas "want to see", according to the chief executive of the German sportswear giant.

United began a £75m-a-year deal with Adidas at the start of the season.
    Herbert Hainer told Suddeutsche Zeitung "business with United is going very well" but expressed doubt about the team's "way of playing".

Manager Louis van Gaal's possession-based approach has been criticised by fans, former players and the media.
    Saturday's 2-1 victory over Swansea was their first win in nine games, their worst run in 26 years.
    In that time, the Red Devils slipped out of the top four in the Premier League and went out of the Champions League at the group stage.

Their record-breaking deal with Adidas is worth £750m over 10 years. Hainer said: "We sell more jerseys than expected, the foreign share is 60%. We are satisfied, even if the actual way of playing of United is not exactly what we want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Kind of only dipping in and out of the thread lately, those of you who take any notice of my posts would notice that I was with Moyes till the last and while critical of LVG's style of play, I like the guy and I've never actually called for his head, even if it wouldn't bother me that much at this stage if he was sacked.

Anyway...get to the point, I was over at the Swansea game at the weekend and I have to say the dissatisfaction is palpable- there is a definite desire for change and I can honestly say that if I was paying for a season ticket or going on a more regular basis it would become old very fast-it's easy to detach yourself when it's only 2 hours telly box watching.

The first half was septic, like a serious borefest and in real life you can see even more of the options that aren't being taken and the forward runs that aren't being made. Luckily we were in one of the more lively sections and the chants were class(We were in one of the remaining 'standing sections'......I'm going on the p!ss with Georgie Best for the past 2 days!!)

Picked up a few of fanzines too and the themes correlate exactly with that feeling I got in the stadium.

Still great to get over though, the feeling when you can see the stadium in the distance getting off the tram is magical.

The Addidas thing is interesting. Earlier, the stories felt like "We aren't happy with the style of play, but we're very happy with the money, so who cares!". But they seem to be cutting out the second part now...

Love what you said about the stadium Eric I been going over for past 13 year not as regular now as I used to because of kid and wife but I still feel same everytime I see stadium just love it.

The U21s are playing Tottenham this evening at 7pm on MUTV. It's their first game since a 6-1 win against Leicester on December 14th. I've enjoyed the last few U21 matches, will tune in this evening if I make it home in time.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Love what you said about the stadium Eric I been going over for past 13 year not as regular now as I used to because of kid and wife but I still feel same everytime I see stadium just love it.

Ha... I hear you, I hadn't been in a while now and that was my first time bringing the wife...an expensive racket! Strong Sterling or no strong sterling...

Next time....it'll be the travel lodge....planning it already!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Canadel wrote: »
    He hasn't exactly risen to the challenge. He's a mercenary just like Di Maria and Falcao. Van Gaal is selling the club's soul along with soulless football. Should never have been trusted with transfer dealings after he forced Welbeck out.

LOL (you win!)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »

I went first time in November for West Brom. Definitely a jaw dropping moment. We got a taxi there but I was standing at the big open part in front of the superstore just looking up...totally lost the lads.

Was very disappointed during that trip to not meet one ITK, or one person who could tell me what was going on behind the scenes. ;)

Did meet two elderly statesmen behind me who joined in with my Carrick frustration :D

ericzeking wrote: »
    I was over at the Swansea game at the weekend and I have to say the dissatisfaction is palpable- there is a definite desire for change and I can honestly say that if I was paying for a season ticket or going on a more regular basis it would become old very fast-it's easy to detach yourself when it's only 2 hours telly box watching.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

When i was over most recently last season i was lucky enough to have some gob****e sitting behind me giving an inrunning commentary of the whole game,i'd say the 100 closest seats to him could hear him, can fairly ruin a day out :mad:

;)

I was telling my missus about you Homer...

Season ticket holder living here and your organisation in advance once the fixtures come out and how you put a limit on what you'll spend on the trips etc and that it could be done...I don't think she was too impressed that I was even broaching the subject of heading off to Manchester every other weekend!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement