Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ericzeking wrote: »
    I was telling my missus about you Homer...

Season ticket holder living here and your organisation in advance once the fixtures come out and how you put a limit on what you'll spend on the trips etc and that it could be done...I don't think she was too impressed that I was even broaching the subject of heading off to Manchester every other weekend!!

im off the beer for southampton and i dont intend spending more than about £30 that day, in and out - flights were about £35 and ticket of course already paid for but thats only £28 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Zidane confirmed as manager of Real Madrid. Jesus they swept Rafa aside fairly lively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

madcabbage wrote: »
    Zidane confirmed as manager of Real Madrid. Jesus they swept Rafa aside fairly lively.

It was a ridiculous appointment to begin with, i wass sure he'd be gone by Xmas but he managed to get the extra week or 2. Real fans want to attack every game and that's not exactly his mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

madcabbage wrote: »

Fact

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/F_Andersoon/status/684080596851789825

"New year, new opportunities, be ready"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Under 21s one up v. Tottenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ha... I hear you, I hadn't been in a while now and that was my first time bringing the wife...an expensive racket! Strong Sterling or no strong sterling...

Next time....it'll be the travel lodge....planning it already!!!!

I usually get over about 5 times a season but for a few reason's I haven't managed it yet this season. About an hour ago I checked my bank balance and it's surprisingly healthy considering the kicking it took over Christmas so on a whim I'm talking the girlfriend to her first game against Sheffield United in the cup on Saturday. Got us two ticket's in the Stretford end, very good seats..

Be interesting first hand to see what vibes are around the place and how the crowd react if we actually turn it on a bit or more likely play the crap we have been.

Also agree 100% with the sentiment's about going to a game.. excited just thinking about it. I always get such a buzz walking out of the Trafford Arms and down to the stadium.. not just from the pints mind. Now just to make sure the girlfriend has the offside rule down to a tee and not make a show of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/F_Andersoon/status/684080596851789825

"New year, new opportunities, be ready"

That was me putting his inform card in my ultimate team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Fellaini gave nothing but 100% to this club, never seen him moan once, even though he has been played in many different positions some of which would have been out of his comfort zone. Got booed by the his own fans at one stage and didn't let it effect him. Maybe he is not the a superstar or doesn't look like some peoples preconceived view of what a footballer should look like but its a disgrace people would be celebrating and joking about his departure.

If he does go he should be thanked for his contribution to the club and wished every success in the future.

Its crazy someone who always gave 100% would be spoken of in that manner.

Not doubting that he gave 100 % effort. ..it's just that he's not good enough. We overpaid hugely for him..he doesn't add anything to the team. I'm sure he's a lovely guy... but that's it on a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Adidas don't give a toss about how we play football, what he is really saying is the results aren't what they want

As I said yesterday eventually not being successful will surely start to impact the commercial side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

secman wrote: »
    Not doubting that he gave 100 % effort. ..it's just that he's not good enough. We overpaid hugely for him..he doesn't add anything to the team. I'm sure he's a lovely guy... but that's it on a nutshell.

Your first part is fine really, everybody is entitled to an opinion after all but to say we hugely overpaid for him is wrong, we overpaid of course, but not by much, to say he doesn't add anything to the team is ridiculous and to give him nothing more then being "a lovely guy" (even though he does like to elbow people in the head) is a bit disingenuous to be honest.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Fellaini got some vital goals for United, it is easy to forget.

Spurs pull one back in Under 21.

2-1.

13 left

Spurs pull one back in Under 21.

2-1.

13 left

Jesus 9 red cards in the game must be a blood bath

3-1 Pereira with his 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Your first part is fine really, everybody is entitled to an opinion after all but to say we hugely overpaid for him is wrong, we overpaid of course, but not by much, to say he doesn't add anything to the team is ridiculous and to give him nothing more then being "a lovely guy" (even though he does like to elbow people in the head) is a bit disingenuous to be honest.
    Would we get 15 m for him... would we miss him much ?
    Probably a No & a No......
    Look he's not the only player like that in the squad unfortunately. ... we have been poor in the market over the last 4 years or so.

Really think we have a gem in Martial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

secman wrote: »
    Would we get 15 m for him... would we miss him much ?
    Probably a No & a No......
    Look he's not the only player like that in the squad unfortunately. ... we have been poor in the market over the last 4 years or so.

Really think we have a gem in Martial.
    Considering he moved for more than 15m 8 years ago to Everton of all teams to splash out on him shows how little context you have considered with regards judging him.

Its easy to forget the player Fellaini was with everton and while I'm not his biggest fan I do believe it unfair with some of the criticism he gets.

There is too many players in the current squad not playing how they should for it just to be player problems we also have to look at how they are been managed and what roles they are paying and Fellaini more then anyone has been messed around position wise in the last two years. Crikey at one stage he was even regarded as a forward.

Would he play better of he was managed better with a defined role or position I think so??

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Strumms wrote: »
    I usually get over about 5 times a season but for a few reason's I haven't managed it yet this season. About an hour ago I checked my bank balance and it's surprisingly healthy considering the kicking it took over Christmas so on a whim I'm talking the girlfriend to her first game against Sheffield United in the cup on Saturday. Got us two ticket's in the Stretford end, very good seats..

Be interesting first hand to see what vibes are around the place and how the crowd react if we actually turn it on a bit or more likely play the crap we have been.

Also agree 100% with the sentiment's about going to a game.. excited just thinking about it. I always get such a buzz walking out of the Trafford Arms and down to the stadium.. not just from the pints mind. Now just to make sure the girlfriend has the offside rule down to a tee and not make a show of me.

I always get goosebumps upon first seeing the stadium and love walking down the Munich tunnel. Just ablaze with amazing history. 'Before the tragedy at Munich the club belonged to Manchester. But afterwards Manchester United captured the imagination of the entire world'. The Norwich game was the quietest I have ever seen the Stretford, it was a brutal game but I couldn't believe the amount if empty seats. But if they come out and play attacking football the crowd will respond no doubt, very noticeable at the Chelsea game until about 70 mins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

From Spain news, via @chegiaevara....

Being reported by @diegotorresro that Real Madrid did contact José Mourinho before Christmas to see if he wanted to take over at the club.

He turned them down as he was not interested in taking over a club midway through the season, he reports.

In any case,according to @diegotorresro , Mourinho also turned down Madrid as he is hoping Manchester United will come calling in the summer

Diego Torres was very close to the action when Mourinho was at Madrid and had a few really good scoops on things going on when he was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

He can hope away. Our hierarchy doesn't want him and he's finished at the top level.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    From Spain news, via @chegiaevara....

Being reported by @diegotorresro that Real Madrid did contact José Mourinho before Christmas to see if he wanted to take over at the club.

He turned them down as he was not interested in taking over a club midway through the season, he reports.

In any case,according to @diegotorresro , Mourinho also turned down Madrid as he is hoping Manchester United will come calling in the summer

Diego Torres was very close to the action when Mourinho was at Madrid and had a few really good scoops on things going on when he was there.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho wanted a break to recharge his batteries and he told United this and thats the reason why LVG was assured that he is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astradave wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho wanted a break to recharge his batteries and he told United this and thats the reason why LVG was assured that he is safe.

I'd be shocked if thats the case. Nothing I have read in the papers nor seen reported by 'ITK' people on fanzine sites points to United/Mourinho planning to come together in the summer. Absolutely everything points to United simply not wanting Mourinho.

I'd be shocked if thats the case. Nothing I have read in the papers nor seen reported by 'ITK' people on fanzine sites points to United/Mourinho planning to come together in the summer. Absolutely everything points to United simply not wanting Mourinho.

At least give me an hour of belief before shooting me down :(

:pac:

The 3-1 scoreline from the u21 match makes it seem like a far more secure result than it actually was. There were times at 1-0 and 2-1 where Tottenham looked like they could get an equaliser.

Two goals for Pereira, the first from a corner which he didn't know much about and only went in because the keeper knew even less about it;

http://gfycat.com/EnchantedYawningChick

The second was well taken though, Pereira was played clean-through from our own half on a counter-attack, and ran on to calmly take the ball around the Tottenham keeper and slot it home. I can't find a gif for it at this time though.

Some of our lads, Perieira especially, started to showboat and piss off the Tottenham players at around 2-0 which lead to some heated challenges. An example is Periera for his second goal, when he took it around the keeper he actually looked away from goal before striking the ball into the net. Hmm, not a fan of that kind of stuff myself but I guess it shows that Perieira's confidence is high and he is enjoying his football. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run vs Sheffield United in the Cup at the weekend.

Other than Periera, James Weir played well, scoring the first goal of the game. Devonte Redmond and Ro Shaun Williams played well enough for me to look forward to seeing more from them in the next match. Varela looked solid too. Will Keane played at striker following his return from a loan at Preston, but never really impressed. He was sent through in a 1 v 1 with the keeper, but scoffed the ball wide. Nick Powell was not in the squad.

It's all over the place the U21 league at the moment, of which United are current defending champions. Sunderland are on top with 28 points, but they have played 12 games. The win tonight takes United up to fourth with 16 points, but they have only played 7 games. The games aren't regular and are often rescheduled, but it has been more entertaining to watch these last few months than the first team. I don't know how many of these players will make it to the United first team or any P.L. first team, but there are some talented youngsters in there.

Also, it's a lot safer of a route to make a return on betting with United if you're into that sort of thing...

fkpe8h.jpg

I know one of you are- Hococop, thanks very much for the tip from the weekend;

wbwk8w.jpg

Hope you did get to put something on it yourself. That's me done for now, I wouldn't go near the Sheffield United game with your money :pac:

Oh, just found footage of Periera's second goal, some good running from him and a neat finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On CNN on their sports section, they are saying United are going after Felipe Anderson, Marquinhos and Lukaku.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RobertKK wrote: »
    On CNN on their sports section, they are saying United are going after Felipe Anderson, Marquinhos and Lukaku.

Heard about a Marquinhos enquiry from a different source too but he would be known as a bit of a spoofer (although not IndyKaila levels of spoof)

Gotta love silly season, John Cross in the Mirror with this beauty

Manchester United preparing £75million-plus Gareth Bale bid in attempt to lure forward from Real Madrid
    Manchester United are ready to re-launch a £75million-plus bid to sign Gareth Bale from Real Madrid.

The Premier League giants see Monday night’s brutal axing of Rafa Benitez as an encouraging sign in their battle to pull off a record-breaking deal for Bale.

Although Benitez’s successor Zinedine Zidane has insisted publicly that the Welshman is not for sale, he was thriving under Benitez and is understood to be disappointed to see him go.

Former Liverpool and Chelsea boss Benitez tried to build the team around £85m forward Bale and he scored against Valencia on Sunday night – his ninth of the season.

United need a creative spark and are determined to bring in a Galactico. with 26-year-old Bale still their No.1 target. They now believe their chances have improved.

It would be a huge coup for United and they believe Bale could be tempted by a return to English football this summer.

The former Tottenham star has been determined to succeed in Madrid but is now waiting to see what role he has under Zidane and there is some doubt as to whether he will be as central to his plans

President Florentino Perez is desperate for the Welshman to be Cristiano Ronaldo’s successor as the club’s biggest star.

But United executive Ed Woodward would see the capture of Bale as a crowd pleaser for the Old Trafford faithful - and there is a genuine belief that the managerial merry-go-round can help rather than hinder their chances.

United would have to bid in excess of £75m and that would give Real Madrid the spending power to rebuild their squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The old "preparing a bid" malarkey, gotta love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bale has really regressed at his time at R.Madrid. If I didnt know about his Spurs days, I wouldnt want him at utd.

Granted he is too injury prone for my liking

Bale would be a super signing for us, perhaps one of the top 3 players we could realistically get this summer. throw him into the team, behind a pacey powerful forward like Lukaku with Memphis (i think he will come good) and Martial beside him and Morgan and Ander behind them and we would have a super front 6.

Griezemann would be an alternative player we should go all out for, if Bale isnt available but i wish the club would try and move on, if he is not available as opposed to hanging in there all summer long only to find the player doesnt want to leave as the season is starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The old "preparing a bid" malarkey, gotta love it.

Madrid's presser was delayed this evening after their fax machine broke,that's twice.Maybe it's clogged up with all those bids we prepared before and sent them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Bale would be a super signing for us, perhaps one of the top 3 players we could realistically get this summer. throw him into the team, behind a pacey powerful forward like Lukaku with Memphis (i think he will come good) and Martial beside him and Morgan and Ander behind them and we would have a super front 6.

Griezemann would be an alternative player we should go all out for, if Bale isnt available but i wish the club would try and move on, if he is not available as opposed to hanging in there all summer long only to find the player doesnt want to leave as the season is starting.

Dont think ye will get Bale tbh, its just a easy link for the press.
    I think if United actually do get a megastar it could actually be Neymar or Zlatan. I think Bale loves Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

astonaidan wrote: »
    Dont think ye will get Bale tbh, its just a easy link for the press.
    I think if United actually do get a megastar it could actually be Neymar or Zlatan. I think Bale loves Madrid.

Bale will be back in England in the next couple of years imo. Unless he hits Ronaldo heights, he will be cycled out for the new Galacticos as is the fate of a Real Madrid mega signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

On the face of it we could do with someone like Bale, direct, strong, fast but we have Rooney and Martial who are capable of playing like this yet we don't. The few attacks Swansea did have on Saturday, when they break down, no one bursts a gut to get into the space to counter, this has to be an instruction, unless Rooney has lost all interest because he used to play like that and that is his instinct.
    What inevitibly happens is Schneiderlin or Smalling or whoever breaks it up and there are 3 or 4 short passes to guarentee comfortable possession and away we go again, the opposition gets back and we set about trying to break down the 10 man defence.
    Bale would be wasted in the current system, imo. He might score the odd worldy but I bet he wouldn't come close to his Tottenham form.

Lukaku, maybe, we need someone who will take more of the limited number of chances we make in the system we have.
    Maybe Rooney will go on a run now too like he often does after breaking a dry spell.

In theory, Hernandez would be perfect but it wasn't working for him either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Please god we keep Fellaini

For the Bangkok lols of course
    Oh and the added bonus of pissing off pool fans with his elbows etc

yea you are right, we should keep him for that alone :rolleyes:

bangkok wrote: »
    yea you are right, we should keep him for that alone :rolleyes:

Sorry to piss on your parade Bangkok

https://twitter.com/IndyFootball/status/684277147389816832

Maybe in the summer you can rejoice :D

I wouldn't sell or loan a single player in the squad. The squad is simply too small to do so. We need to add to the squad, and in doing that change the usage (in amount or position) or someone like Fellaini, for example. I don't mind Fellaini, I just think we need to use him as a player for particular scenarios. Don't want him as one of the significant forward options. He should be getting used in, almost entirely, in the role he played towards the end of last season, or as a player to change our approach (if required) in the last 20. I wouldn't sell or loan him, as I value having different types of options in the squad - i just think we rely on him too much at times, and expect him to perform roles he hasn't shown himself to be good at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

On the face of it we could do with someone like Bale, direct, strong, fast but we have Rooney and Martial who are capable of playing like this yet we don't.

Rooney is palpably not capable of doing this anymore. He's thirty and plays like he's a few years older.

I don't like Varela at all. I want him gone soon, he's not even good enough as cover.

Rooney is palpably not capable of doing this anymore. He's thirty and plays like he's a few years older.

I don't like Varela at all. I want him gone soon, he's not even good enough as cover.

Varela isn't really the problem though.

The issue is the lack of senior full backs at the club. Look at the situation at the start of the season. From what I think we can reasonably assume to be LVGs opinion:

Right back is covered by Valencia and Darmian. Possibly Jones and Smalling considered in this position too as well as Young.
    Left back is covered by Shaw, with Rojo, Blind and Young considered the alternatives here.

What has happened is we have lost one of the two main right back choices as well as the only proper choice at left back, along with one of the main backups. Jones also being out so often has further been a problem at both centre back and right back.

So, in contrast to the situation at the start of the season the only players relatively fit out of the senior players listed are:

Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Young. That is it. That is why CBJ and Varela have been looked at and used - because Valencia, Jones, Shaw, Rojo are out and out consistently. 4 senior players, resulting in a need to use a youth player that wasn't being seriously considered at the start of the season. I don't think Varela is any worse than the right back from the U21 side of most PL sides - its down to poor management decisions and, more so, injuries that he is being used rather than him actually being considered one of the main right backs in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

He hasn't lost the capability to run forward and he is still quite quick.

I think he plays the way he is instructed, like every other player in the team.

It is one of the things that I have found most baffling about this recent bad run, the claim that LVG has lost the dressing when it is clear as day from the evidence on the pitch that they all do precisely as they are told to a stifling level so nothing could be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Marquinhos or Stones? I think Marquinhos is more gettable but Stones would be the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

now that Zidane has been given the Madrid job, is it any crazier than giving Giggs the Man Utd job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

now that Zidane has been given the Madrid job, is it any crazier than giving Giggs the Man Utd job?

He has management experience with a Madrid 'B' team.

• Advertisement

Ahh goway he didn't exactly set the world a light with the results and he has been criticised for his handling of Martin oddegard.

It doesn't make giggs appointment any better or less risky but it shows that top clubs do gamble on a manager if they see someting in him that fans dont but I feel the Zidane appointment is to appease the fans more so then his qualities of management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Last thing we should be doing is looking at Madrid's managerial situation and saying: "Yeah, lets copy them."

based on last summer, Stones would cost about £40m, crazy money for a player that young who has alot of developing to do. ive kept a close eye on him this season and while he has been good at times, he does not look like a £40m player.

he apparently wants to play for United (could also be false reports) but it would be a huge risk.

the sad reality is, there isnt a huge amount of choice out there, top class center halves are rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

based on last summer, Stones would cost about £40m, crazy money for a player that young who has alot of developing to do. ive kept a close eye on him this season and while he has been good at times, he does not look like a £40m player.

he apparently wants to play for United (could also be false reports) but it would be a huge risk.

the sad reality is, there isnt a huge amount of choice out there, top class center halves are rare.

I doubt he'd be got for £40m. Not because of his talent but more due to who the buying team is, who the selling team are and the fact he's English.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Ahh goway he didn't exactly set the world a light with the results and he has been criticised for his handling of Martin oddegard.

Its still more than Giggs has done. Zidane also was assistant manager to Carlo when they won the Champions League, spent time working under Jose and was the Sporting Director for a while too.

Thats not saying he's a good idea; I'd be surprised if he lasts any longer than any other coach at Real. But it strikes me he does have more behind the scenes experience than Giggs does.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement