Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Putting on my fantasy hat for a second, of course the club would deny interest so as not to effectively give two fingers to the current manager. It doesn't mean they aren't on the phone to Pep behind the scenes saying "Not to worry chap, we'll have you when he's gone. Sure you can take a sabbatical if need be." :cool:

Yeah. The other option is making interest public and then possibly being rejected, making the club look bad too. It's a lose lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah. The other option is making interest public and then possibly being rejected, making the club look bad too. It's a lose lose.

or theres the constant word coming from OT that our CE has faith in LVG and genuinly thinks he will be the manger for another season and a half at least at which stage then Giggs will get manager. none of us think it should happen, but the one man that matters is rumoured to so thats all that matters.

if LVG finishes in top 4, he will once again be our manager next season. the club probably feels we will eventually catch Leicester and can/will stay ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea.

i genuinely believe that if we gave LVG the boot, Pep would take the job in a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

or theres the constant word coming from OT that our CE has faith in LVG and genuinly thinks he will be the manger for another season and a half at least at which stage then Giggs will get manager. none of us think it should happen, but the one man that matters is rumoured to so thats all that matters.

if LVG finishes in top 4, he will once again be our manager next season. the club probably feels we will eventually catch Leicester and can/will stay ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea.

i genuinely believe that if we gave LVG the boot, Pep would take the job in a second.

I genuinely think it might be time to build a bridge over the rumour mill.

Giving LVG the boot now in order to get Pep doesn't make sense, since Pep is not available to the summer. You wouldn't need to publicly upset the apple cart in order to make such arrangements behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

LVG is not safe for as long as Mourinho is out of a job. Mourinho will only take another job if he is officially snubbed (again) for the United job. So once Mourinho goes to another club then to me that is confirmation that we are stuck with LVG for another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

zerks wrote: »
    Ah come on,what paper is legit these days? They all recycle each other's stories anyway.

Pep is available in the Summer and imo it would be negligence of the highest order if the board sat by and watched him join City while we put our faith in Ryan Giggs who's sum total of experience is 4 games when Moyes was sacked and spending time in silence sitting beside LVG.
    There's rumours of Giggs not being allowed take part in training sessions after the relationship with him and LVG turned frosty.

Ok your right, most papers are not legit I guess thats why I have a problem with such wild stories leading to negative "the board can fcuk off" reactions, it just comes across as you believe everything you read or just want to find every negative article to attack the board or manager.

I doubt the Giggs thing is even remotely true. We heard all sorts of stuff about Giggs storming out of training when Moyes was there and saying stuff like "this is UTD we attack not defend". Giggs is a perfect target for the press when things are not going well. "Legenary player still at the club who will disapprove of new manager and new ways, mutiny etc etc" its a go to headline that practically writes itself.

Didn't we hear all sorts of stuff about Rio being asked to watch videos of Phil Jagielka and being told "defend like that". Ferdinand later rubbished the stories.

• Advertisement

I genuinely think it might be time to build a bridge over the rumour mill.

Giving LVG the boot now in order to get Pep doesn't make sense, since Pep is not available to the summer. You wouldn't need to publicly upset the apple cart in order to make such arrangements behind the scenes.

nobody is suggesting giving LVG the boot now for the reason to get Pep, giving LVG the boot now would be for the reason that he has done a very bad job in the last 3 months (others on here have rightly suggested the problems are there since LVG took over), results have been s*it, the football has been s*it and our season so far, has been s*it. Pep wasnt even in the equation when he was under pressure two weeks ago, unless Giggs was coming in as interm manager.

we were/are in danger of sliding down the table though we all hope we have turned the corner now after the last two games. given the fixture list, i guess we wont know for another month now if thats the case or not.

States that up front is Memphis' best position after the Watford game. Hasn't played him there since.

Maybe it is but he is has been useless recently so he doesnt deserve to start also Martial and Rooney are better strikers than him

Anyone who passes judgement on the club on the back of rumours in papers needs to have a word with themselves IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Maybe it is but he is has been useless recently so he doesnt deserve to start also Martial and Rooney are better strikers than him

I agree, but it was a strange thing for LVG to say considering that was the only time that Memphis was played up top.

Anyone who passes judgement on the club on the back of rumours in papers needs to have a word with themselves IMO.

the Giggs as next manager "rumours" have been discussed by multiple people not even connected to the print media this week - i.e. former players and managers who believe that the club will have him as our next manager.

for instance on the BBC panel discussion last weekend, the phrase used was "the club want Giggs to replace LVG, when he is ready".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

F365 ran a top 5 underused players this season, basically as a tee-up for the January Window.

Ter Stegen
    Marquinhos
    Gotze
    Isco
    Zaza

Outside of Ter Stegen, where we do not have a need, those four are surely genuine targets that we could get in January to improve the first 11(Zaza moreso providing striking options)

Marquinhos and Gotze/Isco would be an excellent piece of business no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

TheDoc wrote: »
    Outside of Ter Stegen, where we do not have a need
    Isn't the general consensus that DDG will be moving to Madrid in the Summer?
    Gotze/Isco would be an excellent piece of business no?
    Isco would.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Pep takes a sabbatical and then takes over at United.

The two stories going and someone is wrong, who is the question..
    1. This story goes he joins City in the summer.
    2. The job he wants is the United job and he is prepared to wait a year to get the job he wants.

I think there are things that point towards Pep joining United. The clamour to get Van Gaal sacked and to replace with Mourinho.
    Absolutely no evidence LVG was under a direct threat to losing his job.
    If United for the sake of this argument, had Pep in their sights, it would make sacking Van Gaal a strange thing to do, as there would be no advantage, and all the evidence points to Woodward fully trusting Louis with the team.

This is what Pep's agent said last week: "Pep will make a decision in two or three months’ time. Everything remains a possibility, including a sabbatical year."

So his agent left it open to be available when LVG's contract is up. I don't think anyone really knows, some think it is as easy as putting two and two together for City, but sometimes people think they got four and their assumption is wrong.

the Giggs as next manager "rumours" have been discussed by multiple people not even connected to the print media this week - i.e. former players and managers who believe that the club will have him as our next manager.

for instance on the BBC panel discussion last weekend, the phrase used was "the club want Giggs to replace LVG, when he is ready".

Yea some rumours will have more weight than others and some will gather more pace than others, I'm not saying they shouldn't be discussed just think people should wait to pass definite judgement untill it happens is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

going off this report and what the Preston manager said last week, it appears that Will Keane has been told he is coming back to United to be part of the first team as we are short forwards.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/keanes-return-manchester-united-shocks-10694692?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I've seen it said elsewhere that Keane asked Van Gaal if he could return to the club to train with the first team, so that he has the chance to impress and get himself involved, rather than United terminating his loan because they felt he was the answer to any particular question.

I would guess seeing Powell involved, however briefly I suppose, would be encouraging to a player like Keane, when there are so few options at the club. While I liked Keane a few years ago as a prospect for the first team at United, I think the injury took too big a toll on him and his development - i don't think he has that chance anymore. But, regardless of that - I would now place him as the 3rd choice striker at the club. He would be mad not to ask the question (as he is said to have done) and at least give himself the shot.

It also doesn't go against what Martin said - the idea IS for him to be involved in the first team - but it is based on him impressing Van Gaal, as he has requested the chance to do. Fair play to him and good luck.

wrt40 wrote: »
    LVG is not safe for as long as Mourinho is out of a job. Mourinho will only take another job if he is officially snubbed (again) for the United job. So once Mourinho goes to another club then to me that is confirmation that we are stuck with LVG for another season.

If United wanted to give Mourinho the job, he would be United manager now. They will never get a better opportunity to make the change than after the Stoke game. Having given him, and kept him on after, the Chelsea game I see no chance LVG is being sacked before the summer.

There mere fact LVG is still united manager is a clear indication, to me, that either United don't want Mourinho at all, or there is political machinations at the club that are stopping it from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RobertKK wrote: »
    it would make sacking Van Gaal a strange thing to do, as there would be no advantage, and all the evidence points to Woodward fully trusting Louis with the team.

Of course there is an advantage to sacking Van Gaal, the only thing in his favour is this myth about long term development, so if he isn't going to be there long term then he should be set adrift immediately. He certainly wouldn't survive at any other big club based on what he has produced results wise to this point.

We are playing **** and well on course to match Moyes season, it would be a massive advantage to bring in an inanimate carbon rod to take over until the summer, we might at least make top four then.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Reading that L'Equipe have said Newcastle have had an offer turned down for Lacazette for €25m. Said that Lyon were considering it, and would probably have ok'd it, but he decided he wanted a bigger club than Newcastle.

He was linked with us a fair bit over the summer. I know he'd had a great season last season, but not heard much about him this year.

There's that TV money in action! As you said, great player last season but I haven't seen anything of him this season. That is my own fault though.
    going off this report and what the Preston manager said last week, it appears that Will Keane has been told he is coming back to United to be part of the first team as we are short forwards.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/keanes-return-manchester-united-shocks-10694692?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He didn't look overly impressive in the u21s game the other night, but as far as an opportunity for him to iron out those kinks and settle back into the red jersey goes, the game served that purpose just fine. It was his finishing that let him down on the night, his hold-up play was decent and he made some nice passes in and around the opposition's box. The United first team need much more than that though.

I would say that I hope LVG isn't going to throw him straight in against Sheffield United, but that would be a far more suitable game to try him out in the first team than the league match away to Newcastle next Tuesday. We have a fair few fixtures coming up this month, and scarce numbers as options for the forward line, so I imagine Will Keane is being recalled to shore up the numbers, rather than immediately get a run of games in the starting 11.

As much as I would like to see the attack of Martial, Mata, Herrera and an improving Rooney get another chance to progress this weekend, we have to play Newcastle and Liverpool away in the league next week. Maybe Saturday is the only chance to rest some players and give the likes of Keane, Varela or Borthwick-Jackson a game, I'm not sure.

I do know that we need a good run in the F.A. Cup, or at the very least to progress from this round.

It has been reported that Newcastle never made an offer for Lacazette.

we dont really have enough players to be able to rest lads this weekend, i think he will go ful strength or close to it anyway.

if we put in the likes of Varela, Mcnair, BJ, Powell in against Sheffield United on saturday, there is a good chance we will not win. last thing we need is a replay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You missed the point (again) I'm afraid.

You see Homer said he is condemning him due to his handling of Darmian, and several other players. The evidence for that is pretty slim, but regardless, the onus is on the person who makes a claim to provide evidence of such.

Since I did not make a claim (and actually the example you picked out, Di Maria, is the one I clearly did not absolve him of blame oddly) I don't have any claim to prove.

We have multiple examples of players performing quite well in his systems also, this does not prove his is the greatest manager anymore then players not performing well in any way prove it is all down to him.

Fair enough.

Beside Smalling who has performed well in LVG's system ? Very fee have performed to their potential imo.

Falcao you could see was trying his heart out, it was incredibly sad for me to watch an idol of mine struggle so badly. He gave everything, he just doesn't have it anymore. Nothing like the Di Maria scenario tbf

It all depends on what colour your glasses are tinted I think.

Falcao landed into dysfunction teams unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Monaco or any side that plays decent attacking football and started banging them in, its not like he was missing sitter after sitter for United/Chelsea.

zerks wrote: »
    Plus you could see him making runs and getting into positions only to see the ball go wide to Valencia and end up at best flying over his head or at worst being passed backwards.

Nope Falcao's failure had nothing to do with not actually having any chances to shoot on goal in this crap system.
    He's finished.
    Can't blame LVG.

So Neymar has a buyout clause of around £140 million...if he wanted to leave....

Bild in Germany say Bayern's pain threshold to sell Muller for £146 million/€200 million.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/684768112210776064

Would be a bargain :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

beno619 wrote: »
    He's finished.
    Can't blame LVG.
    Of course you can blame LVG. He brought Falcao in and at the same time forced a very promising, talented and loyal player in Welbeck out. I will never forgive Van Gaal for that. It was the decision of someone who really had no idea what they were doing and was not as committed to a philosophy and long term success as so many believed (including himself). And while I was still willing to give him time and allow him to impart his philosophy on the team and club, recent weeks have shown that he simply hasn't been able to and has made massive miscalculations in attempting to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

we dont really have enough players to be able to rest lads this weekend, i think he will go ful strength or close to it anyway.

if we put in the likes of Varela, Mcnair, BJ, Powell in against Sheffield United on saturday, there is a good chance we will not win. last thing we need is a replay.

I think Varela is good enough to play. McNair is ok at best and the other 2 are just crap.

Aubameyang linked heavily to us, he is a fantastic player, the type of player we should be signing.

£71 for away tickets to the Midtjylland game in Denmark, absolutely disgraceful.

to make it worst, Southampton fans paid £22 when they were there in August.

Januzaj coming back to United, with United cancelling his loan due to lack of playing time.

Wonder if LVG will look to give him a chance again in the first team this season, or if we will look to loan him out again.

Actually, are we able to loan him out again - his has played competitively for us and Dortmund this season, is he allowed to play for a 3rd side - or does that only apply to a player being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

£71 for away tickets to the Midtjylland game in Denmark, absolutely disgraceful.

to make it worst, Southampton fans paid £22 when they were there in August.
    I thought they reduced the ticket prices for Europe league? If that's what it was reduced to then that is a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Januzaj coming back to United, with United cancelling his loan due to lack of playing time.

Wonder if LVG will look to give him a chance again in the first team this season, or if we will look to loan him out again.

Actually, are we able to loan him out again - his has played competitively for us and Dortmund this season, is he allowed to play for a 3rd side - or does that only apply to a player being sold.

I had totally and completely forgotten about Januzaj.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I thought they reduced the ticket prices for Europe league? If that's what it was reduced to then that is a farce.

United reduced the prices for games at Old Trafford, they have no control over prices charged for away games. All they could do is offer to subsidise the price themselves. Which I don't expect.

I reckon United should tell every side they play that they are going to charge away fans at Old Trafford the same price that the away side would charge the United fans at their ground.

It is a joke that the United fans have to pay more for away games, simply because they support United. It simply shouldn't be allowed.

Looking forward to seeing Januzaj and Keane described as new signings at the end of the window. If Blacket is coming back from Celtic there is our defender, winger and striker signings.

would not be the least bit surprised to be honest.

wonder does the fact we are bringing back two loanees suggest the club have not been able to land the signings they had hoped?

given our dire circumstances over the last 2 months, youd think that if players were coming in, they would have been in as quickly as possible.

wonder does it mean the Glazers wont give LVG another penny and told him enough has already been spent?

wonder does the fact we are bringing back two loanees suggest the club have not been able to land the signings they had hoped?

given our dire circumstances over the last 2 months, youd think that if players were coming in, they would have been in as quickly as possible.

Signings as quickly as possible? The fook from the last 5 windows indicates United are likely to have been quick with transfers?

My opinion:

Keane is back from loan because he asked to come back from loan - so he could have the chance to impress.

Januzaj has come back because he has played little and neither he, nor United, see any point in him remaining at Dortmund.

I don't think these players coming back from loan is any indication at all of our likely transfer activity.

That is not to say we will make any signings - I have zero faith in United anymore, they are just way to consistent in disappointing me. I don't think the planning or execution at United is at all competent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Talks of Januzaj loan been cancelled now.

Edit: sorry wasnt keeping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Our early season no 10 is back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

adox wrote: »
    Our early season no 10 is back!

The proclaimed best young talent in Europe two years ago, struggling a bit at the moment..

Wouldnt mind him kept on as an option out wide left and right. Martial more central plx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

wonder does it mean the Glazers wont give LVG another penny and told him enough has already been spent?

Or it means club is not happy with the loan players getting less playing time and wants to try something else, like giving chances in the team or planning for new loan deals.

Not many clubs plans for big transfers in the winter window and for sure they don't bank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Can we throw a shed load of money at Everton for Lukaku please.

• Advertisement

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Can we through a shed load of money at Everton for Lukaku please.

with the money in the PL at the moment I don't think it would be possible to buy Lukaku, or Stones, from them in January - and even in the summer it will take 40million+ for either.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Or it means club is not happy with the loan players getting less playing time and wants to try something else, like giving chances in the team or planning for new loan deals.

Not many clubs plans for big transfers in the winter window and for sure they don't bank on it.

players can be bought, if the work is done on time. its not easy of course and will cost alot, but spending money on a big player now, could be the difference between 4th and 5th in May.

it does appear though so far, nothing much is happening - alot of talk and alot of rumours and all we have so far is Anderson, a player who has alot of questions about him.

reality - we dont sign anybody, apart from some 2nd choice left back as a temporary stop gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I am 95% convinced we won't sign anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I am 95% convinced we won't sign anyone.

We'll sign at least 2 players IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Cant be any worse than Depay at the moment.

The gossip colums had nothing concrete for any of our transfers during the summer untill they were near complete if I rem correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

players can be bought, if the work is done on time. its not easy of course and will cost alot, but spending money on a big player now, could be the difference between 4th and 5th in May.

it does appear though so far, nothing much is happening - alot of talk and alot of rumours and all we have so far is Anderson, a player who has alot of questions about him.

reality - we dont sign anybody, apart from some 2nd choice left back as a temporary stop gap.

Euro year and no big player will move in mid season. It happens very rarely.

We can do with someone like Mane though but I'm sure there won't be any big name signed in Jan.

Also Januzaj can't play for United this season.

CTUBoJMWIAEi4Aj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We are looking for a left back, not signing Anderson - MEN

Also, Barkley is making shyte out of Otamendi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We are looking for a left back, not signing Anderson - MEN

Also, Barkley is making shyte out of Otamendi.

Seems we dodged a bullet with him, a lot in here were clamouring for him in the summer.

The gossip colums had nothing concrete for any of our transfers during the summer untill they were near complete if I rem correctly

eh?
    depends on your definition of concrete, we were linked to lots of players (but we also tried to sign lots of players according to Wenger for example) BUT -

Morgan - linked in press for weeks before he signed.
    Bastian - linked in press for weeks before he signed.
    Romero - linked in press for weeks before he signed.
    Darmian - nothing in English press, but Italian press had him as signing for 1-2 weeks before hand.
    Martial - nothing about him at all

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement