Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hyper-bole.

Hyper-Bale? Have you heard something ?

errm,as far as i recall he played an u-21 game the week before and the manager said he was unfit and lacking match practice. think he came off after 60 minutes in that one. i dont think he played much more than that.

bringing on Nick Powell was one of the most baffling things LVG has done in terms of team selection since he joined.

Came off after 60 minutes v Norwich on November 23rd and got 10 minutes at the end of the 3-2 win over Liverpool u21s a week later. He obviously was a player that LVG wanted to have a look at before making a decision on, as he has done with many of the youngsters at the club, and while I think it was a mistake on the night I don't think it was one of the most baffling things LVG has done at the club. Powell can score goals and we needed them badly at that stage of the night. The fact that we needed that win in Wolfsburg is more of a hangable offence for LVG imo, not the fact that he took a gamble in an attempt to swing the tie.

It was a shocking call. His last senior appearance before that was the 4-0 defeat to MK Dons. Pereira had at least played this season and is more suited to that position. Does Powell even play No. 10? I always thought of him as more of a central midfielder.

What are the reasons that make it a shocking call?
    How can you say he is more suited when you don't know where Powell plays?
    The decision on who to bring on is marginal, Pereira didn't look at all good when he came one via Wolfsburg in the first game, I just find the over the top reactions baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

wow, could have sworn that Mike Phelan was just one of 12 or 13 men people in the backroom team. silly me.

A fairly important one, being the assistant manager. It's a strange idea that having a fraud as an assistant manager would have helped Moyes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It was a shocking call. His last senior appearance before that was the 4-0 defeat to MK Dons. Pereira had at least played this season and is more suited to that position. Does Powell even play No. 10? I always thought of him as more of a central midfielder.

Yes he does play as a second striker.

Also played Europa League for Wigan so was not brand new to European game.

It was a risk on an available player when an option was needed. The real failing was that he was the option that had to be relied on.

KH25 wrote: »
    Powell being loaned confuses me. How does he go from playing in one of our most important games to dispensable? Same as adman, in the team regularly the first bit of the season and then just gone.

1384290507000-roll-dice.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang named African Player of the Year.

Would love to see him in a united shirt. 26 years old as well. Not a bad age but maybe only 2/3 seasons left. I reckon he will be making a move this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Where does Martial fit into the side if and elite forward is signed ?

Martial has the ability to be spoken about in the same way Aguero is imo and would be in double figures this season in a functioning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

beno619 wrote: »
    Where does Martial fit into the side if and elite forward is signed ?

Martial has the ability to be spoken about in the same way Aguero is imo and would be in double figures this season in a functioning .

Messi and Neymar play as wide forwards, the problem with United is the wide players play too deep and don't push the full backs into deep positions which means when they get the ball they can be doubled up on by the winger and full back. This means the whole attack is slowed down as soon as it gets out there and needs a miracle for anything to be produced. I don't really understand the thinking behind the positioning of the wingers when all of Memphis, Martial and Mata who've played there recently are better coming inside and in shooting positions than beating a man and putting in a cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Martial has a natural tendency to drift left and look to run at defenders, a top striker to play off wouldn't be a problem for him imo. Having someone on the same wavelength would probably benefit him a lot actually. Either way, with injuries and the amount of games we could certainly cope with another striker in the squad.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Martial is such a joy to have in the team. Quite a risk on LVG's part signing off on spending so much on such an unheralded player. Fair play to him for going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The club has signed a deal for MUTV to be broadcast in China,another vast market to be tapped into.

Ed-Woodward-Man-United-300x187.png

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang named African Player of the Year.

Would love to see him in a united shirt. 26 years old as well. Not a bad age but maybe only 2/3 seasons left. I reckon he will be making a move this summer.

He's been pretty clear in the past he wants to go to Spain, not sure he'd have much interest in Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't like the idea of moving Martial away from the opposition goal. While I'm sure he can be effective out wide or playing as the second striker the calibre of goals he's scored this season would suggest he's a goal scorer and should/could lead the line.

The team should be built around him and a forward like Ighalo/Hernandez should be brought in to provide competition but ultimately back him up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

See the links to Hazard in the red tops today...
    woohoo just what we need..
    Think today's links are Hazard, Stones, Lukaku, Felipe Anderson, Gundogan, Ronaldo and Bale of course
    Gotta love silly season ;)

beno619 wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of moving Martial away from the opposition goal. While I'm sure he can be effective out wide or playing as the second striker the calibre of goals he's scored this season would suggest he's a goal scorer and should/could lead the line.

The team should be built around him and a forward like Ighalo/Hernandez should be brought in to provide competition but ultimately back him up.

He has been playing from the left anyway though. I would like to see him play an Henry role in the future with him more central but with the freedom to drift around to find space as I think their natural games are quite similar so to have a guy to play off at this stage of his career couldn't be a bad thing for him. Someone for him to learn from in training and on the field can only benefit him long term.

I agree that he should be an integral part of future planning for the team, it should be set up to utilise his strengths as he has the potential to be one of the best on the planet imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

brinty wrote: »
    Think today's links are Hazard, Stones, Lukaku, Felipe Anderson, Gundogan, Ronaldo and Bale of course

Buy everyone!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

brinty wrote: »

Hazard is a player playing the worst football of his life though, he looks a shadow of the player he was last season.

unfortunately, Chelsea has a habit of doing this to players, Torres and Mata being the two latest examples.

£65m was the money quoted which is madness for somebody in such bad form. i think this one is just paper talk, putting 2 and 2 together.

Whats the old chestnut? Form is temporary, class is permanent

Torres was on the slide well before he went to Chelsea.

Mata won POTY for Chelsea the two years before Jose came back and decided he didn't want him. Nothing to do with performance.

Two very poor examples really, on par with trying to say Chelsea are at fault for Falcao also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Pro. F wrote: »
    Martial is such a joy to have in the team. Quite a risk on LVG's part signing off on spending so much on such an unheralded player. Fair play to him for going for it.

He is such a quality player. Has the pace and power of a young Ronaldo (Brazilian) one when he was at PSV. If he played in a team that created lost of chances and space he would excel even more. Love watching him play.

"If he played in a team that created lots of chances and space he would excel even more"

Is there a player in world football who the above would not be true about?

"If he played in a team that created lots of chances and space he would excel even more"

Is there a player in world football who the above would not be true about?

Emile Heskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Looking forward to seeing Januzaj and Keane described as new signings at the end of the window. If Blacket is coming back from Celtic there is our defender, winger and striker signings.

would not be the least bit surprised to be honest.

When has this ever been said by the club about youth or fringe players returning from loan? I know Fergie may have said it before about a first team player returning after a long term injury. But never have I heard anything remotely like that said about youth/fringe players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Emile Heskey?

Haha love it.

Berahinho has 5 clubs intrested in him seemingly, now while there are question marks over him professionalism id snap him up if he is available at a decent price. If he copped on he would be a top class player.

Emile Heskey?

Touche

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haha love it.

Berahinho has 5 clubs intrested in him seemingly, now while there are question marks over him professionalism id snap him up if he is available at a decent price. If he copped on he would be a top class player.

that's the problem though, I don't think he has the right attitude. would cost around 20m as well so not worth the risk imo

that's the problem though, I don't think he has the right attitude. would cost around 20m as well so not worth the risk imo

He is a young lad with wrong people in his ear if he was in the right environment at a top club he may well thrive and 20 million is not a lot of money to spend on a player with the ability to score goals in the premier league.

Not that keen on Berahino, can't put my finger on exactly why. (Other then the obvious questionable attitude, and his agent)

• Buy everyone!!! :)

image.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Just imagine where Liverpool would be if they had Martial up front for them! He'd probably need 4 spare hamstrings but aside from that he would be cleaning up in that setup IMO.

He is a young lad with wrong people in his ear if he was in the right environment at a top club he may well thrive and 20 million is not a lot of money to spend on a player with the ability to score goals in the premier league.

just think he has the wrong attitude and not a man utd player. Would rather double that 20m and try for Lukaku, Kane or even greizmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

just think he has the wrong attitude and not a man utd player. Would rather double that 20m and try for Lukaku, Kane or even greizmann

The last fela is the one I want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He is a young lad with wrong people in his ear if he was in the right environment

What makes you think we would be the right environment?

Quite apart from our chance creation woes, he hardly seems the type to gel with Van Gaal.

Do you really think any of the first two would be got for 40 million? I think with both their form ths year their clubs will not sell them for less then 60 million not a hope.

Griezman I do like but he wont be got in January with his club challenging in Spain so it's players like Berahinho or someone outside of the box that clubs need to be looked at if then need to add something to their squads.

Yo Zersky that link is broken..

Man I can't wait for this window to be over I've been sucked into clicking a few links since Jan first and I'm very dissapointed in myself.

Worst so far has been Januzi was sent home because his team mates didn't like being nutmegged :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Quite apart from our chance creation woes, he hardly seems the type to gel with Van Gaal.

if we are still talking about Berahino, him and LVG looks like a receipe for disaster - massive problems likely to happen given the ego of both parties.

he looked an exciting player last season but his attitude since has been appaling - would have been glad to take him during the summer but since then he has shown up to be very very ill-disciplined so looks like we dodged that one.

Not many players do gel with van gaal id say ha. Our chance creation woes have got a lot better in the previous couple games hopefully they keep going along that same path.

The right environment for Berahinho might be playing with a top club a club with history and and stadium and fans like united that may help him buckle down.

Sure I could be wrong of course just my views on him for 20 million he be a good gamble compaired to what else be available this Month.

• Advertisement

We need some pace, trickery, and passing ability out the right. Mata does have the passing but not the others.

Someone in a Griezman, Mahrez mould as we aren't getting either in Jan I'd guess.

I'd take that first over a striker tbh..

Berahino loan with an option to buy, he ain't getting near the WBA team atm maybe they would take a 1 or 2 million for 6 months. We get a shot at a striker who might come good and can go for real targets in the summer.

Never happening I know but would be an interesting option IMO.

That being said don't really want him as not sure he wouldn't suit the way we are playing atm.

• Is the cup match on tele tomorrow?

btw rumours of this Hazard bid is spreading fast....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm far from excited at the prospect of him coming in.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is the cup match on tele tomorrow?

On bt I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It is 100% on tv, seen it on the guide the other night.

It's definitely on one of the sports channels sky/bt/espn or setanta.

• Advertisement

its gas we are talking about Berahinho for 20m when we sold Hernandez for 12m and he is ripping it up in germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bt sports 2.. pool match is on the BBC tonight. Did ITV lose the rights?

astradave wrote: »
    Bt sports 2.. pool match is on the BBC tonight. Did ITV lose the rights?

Yeah,the BEEB are hyping up the cup and are trying to recapture the magic of old.
    Between them,Setanta and BT there's a lot of football on tv this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    Yeah,the BEEB are hyping up the cup and are trying to recapture the magic of old.
    Between them,Setanta and BT there's a lot of football on tv this weekend.

Hopefully that magic starts tonight and then goes missing by 5.30 tomorrow :D

Yeah Setanta have a game on both channels at 3. Arsenal on setanta and Stoke on setanta1..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Hazard at his best would be a fantastic signing. Dont think it will happen though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement