Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would rather Memphis re-find his form, then Hazard come in

*Controversial comment alert* I rated Memphis higher then Hazard last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Would rather Memphis re-find his form, then Hazard come in

Hilarious use of meme by Maximus aside...

His form was beast last season for Chelsea...can't see how you can compare it to Memphis performing in the dutch league.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    its gas we are talking about Berahinho for 20m when we sold Hernandez for 12m and he is ripping it up in germany

Well yeh that is sickening I said it the other day looking at hernandez banging in goals in Germany is pure sick. Make it worse I reckon he will be back in premierleague next summer too and will continue banging them in.

Team for tomoro

________DG

Darmian--McNair--Smalling--BWJ

Morgan----Carrick

Periera
    Fellaini
    Depay

Neymar

If Neymar isn't registered in time Rooney so he could hopefully get a few goals and boost the confidence further

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hilarious use of meme by Maximus aside...

His form was beast last season for Chelsea...can't see how you can compare it to Memphis performing in the dutch league.....

Felt his form for Chelsea was a bit blown out of proportion, and was an indication of the void of individual quality and performances in the league itself.

Like I said, controversial opinion from me ;)

Felt his form for Chelsea was a bit blown out of proportion, and was an indication of the void of individual quality and performances in the league itself.

I agree while he was good I think mourinho trying to put him on a level with Ronaldo and Messi made everyone else think he was alot beter then he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

but then you see a 35 year old dirk kuyt going back to Feyenoord and scoring 15 goals in 18 games you could have said the very same about Depay..

"Felt his form for Chelsea PSV was a bit blown out of proportion, and was an indication of the void of individual quality and performances in the league itself"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Via wolfsburg Mata was playing 10 and was wrecked we had Powell and Pereira to come on for that position, while it could be argued that Pereira should have come on the sub isn't as anywhere near as crazy as people make out.

I think you've missed the point. Subbing off Mata was not the main problem at all. Putting on Powell while leaving Ashley Young or Periera on the bench was what I found crazy.

Young has actually done quite well under LVG and could have had on the game with a small reshuffle so he doesn't come on as #10, but on the wing. Periera has shown glimpses of talent and has come on a few times this season, and done well for the 21s.

Why would you entrust Nick Powell with pulling us back in a game of vital important when he has not been seen since MK Dons away a year ago?

but then you see a 35 year old dirk kuyt going back to Feyenoord and scoring 15 goals in 18 games you could have said the very same about Depay..

"Felt his form for Chelsea PSV was a bit blown out of proportion, and was an indication of the void of individual quality and performances in the league itself"
    bangkok wrote:
    so if Uniteds 3 summer signings were schweinsteiger, otamendi and depay you would think our transfer strategy is in trouble? if we signed those 3 players as other were not available I would be more than happy. 3 brilliant signings that would go straight into the first team. I think you need to lower your expectations a bit or else you are going to end up being disappointed
    bangkok wrote:
    yes because transfer fees are judged because a player likes a manager of another club.......

if anything it will push the price up as van gaal will really want to sign depay.

depay is one of the hottest prospects in Europe, still only 21, 14 goals last season, 25 already this season and getting better.

he was also nominated in the top 3 young players at the world cup.

20-25m is def around the right price, the only way to get it down a bit lower is to offer more money up front say 14m up front and 4-5m in instalments, depending on appearances etc
    bangkok wrote:
    depay great signing, but back to the now, we still need 3 points this weekend or all the depay love will be quickly forgotten

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    I think you've missed the point. Subbing off Mata was not the main problem at all. Putting on Powell while leaving Ashley Young or Periera on the bench was what I found crazy.

Young has actually done quite well under LVG and could have had on the game with a small reshuffle so he doesn't come on as #10, but on the wing. Periera has shown glimpses of talent and has come on a few times this season, and done well for the 21s.

Why would you entrust Nick Powell with pulling us back in a game of vital important when he has not been seen since MK Dons away a year ago?

Young wasn't fully fit, it was a straight up choice between the two young lads, Perriera might have played but didn't look great in the first game via wolfsburg. Maybe you missed my point given the options it really wasn't a shocking, crazy, deluded etc decision that people are making out. Not saying it isn't up for debate I'm just arguing against the over reactions and not arguing for the decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jebus, hope we don't bid for Hazard, have we learned nothing from Mata.

When a player goes off the boil, to the extend that they have, and Rooney, RVP for eg, it is very unlikely they will come back up to the previous high mark.

Whether it is a purple patch I don't know but you look at teams that suddenly go out a great run of form but then revert back.

Man Utd seem only be bo able to attract big players from big clubs when they have already past peaked and are showing clear signs of going downhill. For eg, we should never buy from Bayern again after Basti and Hargreaves. Big clubs very rarely sell their top stars without a good reason. Ronalso will only leave RM when RM have decided he is past his best.

In terms of the FA cup tomorrow, what are peoples thoughts on the competition as goal. We got the 1/4's last year, so on LVG Capital Cup Progress logic then we need at least SF. I think we should be going all out to win it, as the Cup actually suits our style whereby we seem intent on possession and we 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sure why would we want another Hazard in our attack when we will be going for Neymar in the summer?
    The Guardian last August said Neymar would like to play in the PL...whether that is true or now, who knows.
    But the real reason for this post is this piece from Sport Witness when talking about a rumour of Stones to Barcelona:
    Barcelona simply can't afford to sign Stones, it's not happening. The club haven't yet been able to scrape together enough money to buy a substitute attacker this month, and it's because their debt is structured very poorly, which is largely thanks to borrowing money for years and not paying it back.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/odd-goings-on-as-catalan-press-report-john-stones-to-barcelona

So Barcelona borrowed and didn't pay back, that doesn't sound good...we will have to help Barcelona out and buy Neymar so they can pay their debts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Jebus, hope we don't bid for Hazard, have we learned nothing from Mata.

When a player goes off the boil, to the extend that they have, and Rooney, RVP for eg, it is very unlikely they will come back up to the previous high mark.

Whether it is a purple patch I don't know but you look at teams that suddenly go out a great run of form but then revert back.

Man Utd seem only be bo able to attract big players from big clubs when they have already past peaked and are showing clear signs of going downhill.

Hazard's current dip in form is not comparable to the decline of older players like Rooney/RvP. Rooney/RvP have been through a lot of injuries and have a huge amount of mileage on their bodies. Both have played what, 500 matches? Eden Hazard just turned 25. His body is fine, mileage relatively low. There's no doubt he'll regain his form. I hope you're not seriously suggesting Hazard is "past peaked" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

QuantumP wrote: »
    Hazard's current dip in form is not comparable to the decline of older players like Rooney/RvP. Rooney/RvP have been through a lot of injuries and have a huge amount of mileage on their bodies. Both have played what, 500 matches? Eden Hazard just turned 25. His body is fine, mileage relatively low. There's no doubt he'll regain his form. I hope you're not seriously suggesting Hazard is "past peaked" :rolleyes:

Past peaked, yeah that was a typo.

Not past his peak, more though that it appears that his peak was more an abberation rather than the norm. Players can hit massive highs, everything just works for them. vardy this season for example. Evrything he touches turns to goals. But you can't bet on that continuing as all the evidence suggests that it is a blip.

I worry the same of true of Hazard. Either he is back to his norm or he is allowing outside factors affect his performance, either way I would not be looking to buy him. He has offered nothing this year, and worse than that in the bits I have seen him play (admittedly only highlights) he doesn't appear to be willing to fight for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RobertKK wrote: »

So Barcelona borrowed and didn't pay back, that doesn't sound good...we will have to help Barcelona out and buy Neymar so they can pay their debts...

if what you say is true, then its very very interesting and would make the prospect of us signing him very realistic.

if we threw €100m at them, would they turn it down? i doubt it. the issue is have though, is why on earth would a player like Neymar move to Manchester United apart for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Past peaked, yeah that was a typo.

Not past his peak, more though that it appears that his peak was more an abberation rather than the norm. Players can hit massive highs, everything just works for them. vardy this season for example. Evrything he touches turns to goals. But you can't bet on that continuing as all the evidence suggests that it is a blip.

I worry the same of true of Hazard. Either he is back to his norm or he is allowing outside factors affect his performance, either way I would not be looking to buy him. He has offered nothing this year, and worse than that in the bits I have seen him play (admittedly only highlights) he doesn't appear to be willing to fight for it.

I'm not sure he's right for United either tbh and I respect your concern but in defense of Hazard I'd view this season as his blip. He's the inverse of Vardy. Hazard's 5 seasons prior to this one were excellent, one bad season and people think his career is over. Just seems like madness to me! He'll come through it, Vardy will go back to sh!t and all will be well with the world.

If United win tomorrow that will be United's longest winning streak so far in 2016.

• If United win tomorrow that will be United's longest winning streak so far in 2016.

lol he's on fire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Often a player needs a change of scenery to rejuvenate the career, look at Hernandez right now for example,another recent one would be Pirlo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

if what you say is true, then its very very interesting and would make the prospect of us signing him very realistic.

if we threw €100m at them, would they turn it down? i doubt it. the issue is have though, is why on earth would a player like Neymar move to Manchester United apart for money.

it might be hard enough for some people to understand but just because united are not the top dog team in the country at the moment it dont mean that all players want to avoid us.. some players might enjoy playing for a club with history and a very large fanbase and nice rainy weather and a fine stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Young wasn't fully fit, it was a straight up choice between the two young lads, Perriera might have played but didn't look great in the first game via wolfsburg. Maybe you missed my point given the options it really wasn't a shocking, crazy, deluded etc decision that people are making out. Not saying it isn't up for debate I'm just arguing against the over reactions and not arguing for the decision

If young wasnt fit enough to be brought on he shouldnt have been on the bench at all its because of van galls managment of the squad last summer that we have such a poor subs bench.

what was the point of all of that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    it might be hard enough for some people to understand but just because united are not the top dog team in the country at the moment it dont mean that all players want to avoid us.. some players might enjoy playing for a club with history and a very large fanbase and nice rainy weather and a fine stadium.

Yes, but the conversation was about Neymar...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United need to bring in players who are strong mentally and in a position of confidence rather than in need of rejuvenation.

Memphis has some personal baggage that had potential to disrupt his start when the team started to struggle. He will naturally get a reset in the summer.

United need players who are at a good place now, a Mahrez, Ighalo or always confident in himself type like Zlatan.

People like Gotze, Hazard as examples (rather than likely signings) would be much better summer signings imo.

• Advertisement

Yes, but the conversation was about Neymar...

The post was about players like neymar?? How does anyone know on here that a player like neymar would only want to come to United for money? It might attract him also but he may also want to play in England or might want to actually play for a club like united??how do we now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

So few very less reliable papers are linking us with Lukaku. Would be excellent signing at least in Summer as Everton won't sell him in Jan. Also Lukaku counts as Home Grown player. We will be needing them soon once we sell all our HG players.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    lol he's on fire :D

I reckon I'll start one of those Twitters that spews out pointless stats with random frames of reference. Here's a taster I prepared as I seek a first round of investment:

374118.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Another good tactical analysis piece on United here

TACTICAL THOUGHTS: UNITED’S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM

LVG talking about the "red zone" again in his press conference and that several players are in it, they will be rested tomorrow.

what can he expect when we only have 17 senior outfield players to play in 4 competitions.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    The post was about players like neymar?? How does anyone know on here that a player like neymar would only want to come to United for money? It might attract him also but he may also want to play in England or might want to actually play for a club like united??how do we now?

For starters, the post of yours I quoted was not about Neymar and money, it was about United.

Secondly, how does anybody know anything about anything? You seem to be saying that maybe Neymar wants to come to United and sure how could we know differently, yeah? Well we can judge, we can look at the player involved and the clubs involved and come to an opinion. United are still a big club and there are lots of players who might want to come here, but there are also a few players for whom that likely is less important.

So we have Neymar, currently living it up in Sunny Spain at the worlds best team as part of a legendary forward line, favourites for all titles and in pole position to be the worlds top player once Messi and Ronaldo start to decline. Your position is that maybe he wants to swap all that for a club currently a long way from winning an egg and spoon race based in dreary Manchester, simply because of their history and fanbase?

My assessment is that no, he probably does not.

what can he expect when we only have 17 senior outfield players to play in 4 competitions.

One of those numbers is a problem and Van Gaal won't stop until the problem is taken care of.

LVG talking about the "red zone" again in his press conference and that several players are in it, they will be rested tomorrow.

Januzaj and keane can start so.

what was the point of all of that??

It appears in my gusto to take the piss, I may have misconstrued what you were saying and have fallen folly attempting this bantering malarky. Now I look mightly foolish myself. :D

I feel like its raining on my wedding day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Would like to go with something like....

DDG

--Darmian----Mike---Blind----CBJ--

Carrick--Fell

---Jacuzzi----Pereira----Memphis---

Martial

Might be too early to reintroduce Januzaj though. Should, should, be enough to see off Sheff Utd.

If young wasnt fit enough to be brought on he shouldnt have been on the bench at all its because of van galls managment of the squad last summer that we have such a poor subs bench.

I'm not arguing against his management that is a totally seperate point to the one I was making.

Who would you have given a not 100% youngs place on the bench to out of interest?

For starters, the post of yours I quoted was not about Neymar and money, it was about United.

Secondly, how does anybody know anything about anything? You seem to be saying that maybe Neymar wants to come to United and sure how could we know differently, yeah? Well we can judge, we can look at the player involved and the clubs involved and come to an opinion. United are still a big club and there are lots of players who might want to come here, but there are also a few players for whom that likely is less important.

So we have Neymar, currently living it up in Sunny Spain at the worlds best team as part of a legendary forward line, favourites for all titles and in pole position to be the worlds top player once Messi and Ronaldo start to decline. Your position is that maybe he wants to swap all that for a club currently a long way from winning an egg and spoon race based in dreary Manchester, simply because of their history and fanbase?

My assessment is that no, he probably does not.

The post you quote was indeed about united but don't ignore why I posted it in relation to neymar and money and united thats what it's way in response to.

And yes why would neymar want to leave that if he is happy there who would blame him but again originally conversation started because maybe barca are in financial trouble and might accept an offer from united and might want to sell neymar.

You can't just ignore where the conversation came from and start quoting posts to suit your own opinion.

I never said he would want to swap barca for united I was simply saying that in the case where barca want to sell him because they need the money and cant offer him the contract he can well then he may actually like to choose united over say a club like psg or man city that could offer him a decent wage.

I think most teams in the same boat around the Xmas period

I think most teams in the same boat around the Xmas period

true, but Arsenal for example have 5 senior players more than we do in their first team squad.

now, we dont need 5 more players but 2 or 3 would make a huge difference and its even more sickening since we got rid of 7 senior players this summer, despite the fact we knew we would have at least 10-12 more games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Martial was given some time off during the week, can't see him starting tomorrow. Did LVG mention anything about him?

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Martial was given some time off during the week, can't see him starting tomorrow. Did LVG mention anything about him?

12439011_10153439498142746_4508404400621910882_n.jpg?oh=80d0a1c138eb77a8592bcec5aa23ef27&oe=570D6FA5

player of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

astradave wrote: »

Hopefully he is rested tbh. He is going to be massively important in the coming months.

12439011_10153439498142746_4508404400621910882_n.jpg?oh=80d0a1c138eb77a8592bcec5aa23ef27&oe=570D6FA5

player of the month

Your posts are getting weirder by the day :pac: random reply to a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is Manchester United playing this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tomorrow evening in the FA Cup

Player of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Julez wrote: »
    Would like to go with something like....

DDG

--Darmian----Mike---Blind----CBJ--

Carrick--Fell

---Jacuzzi----Pereira----Memphis---

Martial

Might be too early to reintroduce Januzaj though. Should, should, be enough to see off Sheff Utd.

Januzaj is a no go, Lingard is back now so i reckon he will start.

https://twitter.com/manutd/status/685461593761656832

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Often a player needs a change of scenery to rejuvenate the career, look at Hernandez right now for example,another recent one would be Pirlo.

I don't think he needed to move to be rejuvenated.

All he needed was to play. If any team trusts him enough to play him as the number one striker, he will score goals.

You know when you're trying to hold in a laugh and then air comes whooshing loudly out your nose, and you're in work, and then everyone knows you're actually on the internet instead of working? Yeah, thanks for that astradave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement