Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

bangkok wrote: »
    Gareth Bale with a great hat trick. wont be joining us anytime soon

Just cause of the hattrick? He has regressed a little actually since he went to Spain, but despite that he wasn't going to be joining us anytime soon before tonight either.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Just cause of the hattrick? He has regressed a little actually since he went to Spain, but despite that he wasn't going to be joining us anytime soon before tonight either.

no because the new madrid team will be built around him and he has the full support of the manager/chairman.

he is also just as good if not better since his move to spain, just been hampered by injuries. fantastic player

The biggest problem is that LvG clearly knows what we need to do better, he basically says it every post match interview, his biggest problem is that he seems unable to fix it even though he knows whats wrong.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

no because the new madrid team will be built around him and he has the full support of the manager/chairman.

he is also just as good if not better since his move to spain, just been hampered by injuries. fantastic player

He has definitely regressed a little since he went there, but that is neither here or there for this discussion, I agree with you that as long as Perez is still there for the next couple of years he will be going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

People might moan about the over use of the "United Way" but Scholes was right. There is no passion, desire or determination.

"Fellaini as a centre midfielder. What's he doing there? He'll never ever be one" Scholes

Thats actually not what he said either, did you do that on purpose, as in lie and misrepresent what Scholes said, or did you not hear Scholes?

Also lol at the eejit desperate to get Scholes to give him a soundbite saying Van Gaal should be sacked and fair play to Scholes for not doing it, twice he tried it!

Papers will carry headlines of Scholes laying in Van Gaal, but it wasn't quite that this time. He was having a go at the players just as much.

• Also lol at the eejit desperate to get Scholes to give him a soundbite saying Van Gaal should be sacked and fair play to Scholes for not doing it, twice he tried it!

BT trying to walk him into it

They know well it will it stirr up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Doesn't look like any transfers are imminent from the post match interview, though I know he's hardly going to give much away on that front.

He knows not many very good players will be on the move in January and stands to gain zero from saying we are looking to bring players in also. He did leave wiggle room by mentioning the right player, but I can't remember what words he used exactly.

Basically there is no point in him saying anything about transfers, he gains nothing from it. If we are going t sign people we will know about it, if not then there is certainly enough quality in the squad to achieve the minimum aim for the season anyway it has got to be brought out of them though

such a difference watching Madrid after watching Utd. Players smiling, tricks, flicks, pace, power, wing play, great going forward.

newcastle away will be tough tue

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

such a difference watching Madrid after watching Utd. Players smiling, tricks, flicks, pace, power, wing play, great going forward.

newcastle away will be tough tue

Yeah I watched the madrid game. The difference is unbelievable. Even at 3-0 Deportivo where still passing the ball forward trying to get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    BT trying to walk him into it

They know well it will it stirr up

I find BT to actually be worse than Sky. The commentary today was desperate, granted there wasn't much to get excited about but all Ian Darke did was hark on about the fans, the United way, ex-players, chants in the crowd etc.
    Just commentate on the game ffs, instead of trying to wring any bit of drama possible out of any situation, they are awful.

As for Michael Owen, there should be a red button option to mute him, he's fúcking torturous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The biggest problem is that LvG clearly knows what we need to do better, he basically says it every post match interview, his biggest problem is that he seems unable to fix it even though he knows whats wrong.

that would indicate hes simply not cut out for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

14murphy wrote: »
    Yeah I watched the madrid game. The difference is unbelievable. Even at 3-0 Deportivo where still passing the ball forward trying to get something.

Probably why they were 3-0 down, they should have done a Sheffield United.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Yeh but even losing they were still trying for something. Not like us sideways passing, no threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The calls that Memphis dived a bit extreme. He took studs to the shin beneath the guard. Potential for it being "theatrical" but it was a stonewall penalty.

Some journalists embarrassing themselves this evening

In terms of the game,dreary and really frustrating. Enough with the square pegs in round holes. Needs to start playing people in their CLEAR best positions and stop mucking around. Two deep lying midfielders against a poor league 1 side was shocking.

Mata for me done now on right flank. Plays at 10, or bench. Experiment hasn't gone as it looked like it might. No problems, just play him at 10, hes the best 10 at the club. Without the triangles he can't do anything, so he is ineffective in this 4-2-3-1. Lingaards spot to lose imo.

MEmphis is the most frustrating player at the club for me at the moment. And I won't be overly harsh on him since it takes different players different time to settle. But the boy has immense talent. Could save Van Gaals reign if it clicks in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Listen, I've been slagged by a few in here in the past for being a 'closet Utd fan'. I promise you I couldn't be further from a fan.

What I am, though...or should I say, what I have been for my last 20 years of following football, is an admirer of Utd. Through all the hatred I've had for the club, borne hugely out of the jealousy I've had for the success, I've always watched on, often in slight awe, at the relentless football that would be played. No matter the opposition, no matter the set of players that were sent out, you knew that the opposition were in for a very rough time.

It is a very strange experience watching what LVG has done to this team.

It is literally unrecognisable.

The idea that Utd would play 2 DMs, and barely get a shot on target against a League 1 side, is mental. It doesn't compute. Yes, there were terrible performances over the last 20 years, but the intent was always there.

LVG is intent on sticking to what he knows. He is so hamstrung by the system and philosophy that he cherishes, that he is destroying the soul of the team. The team is fearful. It's cowardly. It is straight-jacketed by an obsession with positional discipline at all costs.

It is quite simply the opposite of what I have witnessed for 20 years.

As fans, it must be baffling for you all. Many of you will have become fans just before the Fergie era of dominance. Many of you will have become fans because of what you saw under Fergie. Many of you are fans because of the football you saw many years ago. Many of you are fans because your father was a fan, telling you of great teams of the past, and he convinced you to take Utd as your team. You've been brought up on a Utd team doing certain things, playing a certain way and having a certain mentality.

This must all be mind bending.

It is directly opposite to the style you're all accustomed to.

It's interesting to me that LVG still remains in a job. Not baffling, but interesting. The football is woeful. Goals aren't being scored for the paying public at Old Trafford. The team doesn't realistically look like winning the league. But...the club is making vast amounts of money, and the club is still favourites to get a Champions League place. Either the club's hierarchy is just interested in CL football (with the money and prestige that comes with it), or they're holding out for Pep. I don't see any other options for why he's still there. The majority of fans have blatantly turned, and normally when that's the case, there's only one way it's going.

It'd be ridiculous for me to slag you all considering the transition my own club, Liverpool, is going through...and you lot are still ahead of us in the League. But it's quite obvious that LVG should be done, and what he's doing isn't working.

If the club gave a shít about the football side of things, and if they gave a shít about the fans, he'd be gone.

But my feeling, from the outside, is that they don't.

Long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Christ on a bike you never switch off, do you.

You consistently single out Fellaini despite virtually nobody in the team performing for months.

You are actually a parody at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Goal difference doesn't count in Spain ,only head to head results if teams finish level so teams can have a go .
    Its rare you see a Spanish team sit back and park the bus ,its just not part of the footballing mentality over there .
    Teams like Rayo Vallecano have gone to the Bernabeu and Nou Camp this season and gone gung ho with 3 at the back .
    In some ways its admirable that teams would try to go man for man and have a go but in other ways its madness.

The way that you present that makes it seem like someone of importance or prior good standing in the game came out with that, and not Alis...hold on, what's his name again, Alistair Tweedale, sports data journalist with The Telegraph.

You consistently single out Fellaini despite virtually nobody in the team performing for months.

de gea, smalling, blind, schneiderlain, Martial, Herrera, Lingard, darmian at the start, shaw at the start, sweinsteiger, all have had their moments, some played well a lot, fellaini has been a joke every game he has played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's interesting to me that LVG still remains in a job. Not baffling, but interesting.

No, I think baffling was the right word, its baffling that this guy is still in a job.

Fergie was in the crowd tonight, how can he as a director sit there week after week and be happy with what he is seeing? How can the board sit there week after week and put up with this horror show? It has been 18 months of utter tripe, the board is facilitating a culture of mediocrity if they allow this to continue. They have oversight of all of this, they can't wash their hands of it and say it isn't their fault. The man has failed, for gods sake its mind boggling that some people still can't see it.

There is no corner going to be turned here folks, what you are seeing is how it is going to be under Van Gaal, this is what he has brought to the club. 18 months of the same rubbish, if anybody on that board thinks that anything will change and that we might start to look like a football team then they are deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This season has been awful, but while last season was nothing special they're signs that things were changing

Its been awful for 5 months not 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

fellaini has been a joke every game he has played.

No he hasn't but you have been with your constant singling out of him, and not a very funny one.

It was never true, never funny and is extremely tiresome now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Imagine any worldclass player wanting to join the club now...or in the summer if LVG is still at the helm?
    Slim to none.
    He has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This season has been awful, but while last season was nothing special they're signs that things were changing

Its been awful for 5 months not 18.

Nope, what we have seen on that football field has been utter tripe for a lot more than 5 months, don't let this "we achieved our top 4 aims" bullcrap blind you to that.

Last season was awful. Do you remember that little 3 game spell we had last season, 3 games with good performances and we all hoped the "corner had been turned"? Those 3 games stood out because everything leading up to them had been ****ing awful, our performances around christmas were some of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

There are people who wanted to be good little fans and as long as there were signs of improvement were prepared to put up with a lot, but the simple fact is that on the field, last season was a horror show no different to this.

adox wrote: »
    No he hasn't but you have been with your constant singling out of him, and not a very funny one.

It was never true, never funny and is extremely tiresome now.

what were his 3 best games this season? he has been rubbish in the majority of games he has played.

More fellaini stuff coming after todays game..

http://www.goal.com/en/news/780/fa-cup/2016/01/09/19161222/van-gaal-issues-a-warning-to-fellaini

• Advertisement

Nope, what we have seen on that football field has been utter tripe for a lot more than 5 months, don't let this "we achieved our top 4 aims" bullcrap blind you to that.

Last season was awful. Do you remember that little 3 game spell we had last season, 3 games with good performances and we all hoped the "corner had been turned"? Those 3 games stood out because everything leading up to them had been ****ing awful, our performances around christmas were some of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

There are people who wanted to be good little fans and as long as there were signs of improvement were prepared to put up with a lot, but the simple fact is that on the field, last season was a horror show no different to this.

I'm not and you're right in that it far from perfect, but we had couple good spells too.

I do understand we should be doing better then that too, but unfair to call it tripe,but understandable this season.

Do the directors like Fergie, Gill, Charlton, Edelson actually have any power? (MUFC directors)

Or is it just the likes of Woodward, the Glazers, Arnold etc (MU limited) who would take the decisions and take advice from them if they feel like it?

I did a quick search, posts from Jan/Feb 2015. There are dozens of them from a lot of different postsers. This idea that things were fine on the field last season isn't true and there were plenty of people saying it.

Thats fair enough, and it shows your side so I'm not going to disagree and it's good back up for your point and I'm not going to twist it, so fair play

But I would still say last season was much better then last, even though that would not be hard, I'd say we agree there.

I do think though that last season got rid of the cobwebs from season before, I just don't think it's worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Do the directors like Fergie, Gill, Charlton, Edelson actually have any power? (MUFC directors)

Or is it just the likes of Woodward, the Glazers, Arnold etc (MU limited) who would take the decisions and take advice from them if they feel like it?

Pretty sure Fergie and Bobby are non voting executives, not sure if Gill is still in a voting capacity. They would mainly be advisors for football matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

what were his 3 best games this season? he has been rubbish in the majority of games he has played.

More fellaini stuff coming after todays game..

http://www.goal.com/en/news/780/fa-cup/2016/01/09/19161222/van-gaal-issues-a-warning-to-fellaini
    Are Herrera and Mata the same then since they were hauled off first after both being awful too?

It's to do with the system and singling out a player who played as the deepest midfielder and still actually got forward once or twice should make you embarrassed but no doubt you'll continue with your silly statements on the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

It's a pity there isn't more comments like this on here whenever Rooney gets singled out for excessive criticism.

Liam O wrote: »
    Are Herrera and Mata the same then since they were hauled off first after both being awful too?

It's to do with the system and singling out a player who played as the deepest midfielder and still actually got forward once or twice should make you embarrassed but no doubt you'll continue with your silly statements on the man.

herrera and mata have both been good this season though.

silly statements? are they not all true? he has been awful

astradave wrote: »
    Pretty sure Fergie and Bobby are non voting executives, not sure if Gill is still in a voting capacity. They would mainly be advisors for football matters

From what I can see they are basically on two separate boards (Fergie and Gill on the same as Charlton and Edelson but on a different one to Woodward, Arnold, load of Glazers and some other people I never heard of)so assume they are all just being honoured for service to the club and there if advice is wanted from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

herrera and mata have both been good this season though.

silly statements? are they not all true? he has been awful

Have Herrera and Mata been good this season? I'd disagree. Fellaini hasn't been as good as he was last season but I'd apply that too basically everyone in the team bar Smalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »

Yup fergie and Bobby and Gill are just advisor im not Even 100 percent on Gill either if He is even an official advisor the reason he stepped away from the club was because was working towards his uefa positions.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yup fergie and Bobby and Gill are just advisor im not Even 100 percent on Gill either if He is even an official advisor the reason he stepped away from the club was because was working towards his uefa positions.

He is listed along with Fergie and Charlton so I'd imagine it is official alright. Don't think it stops him being involved in UEFA/FIFA as he is not an executive board member or anything anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He is listed along with Fergie and Charlton so I'd imagine it is official alright. Don't think it stops him being involved in UEFA/FIFA as he is not an executive board member or anything anymore.

Yhh that's what I wasnt sure of i knew thats why he left his position when woody took over.

Its funny that majority of us fans are complaining about the manager and chief executive for the most part and yet we have both the best manager and chief executive arguably the club has ever had still on board and getting paid missions in fergies case and we can't utilise them haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I feel sorry for him. I dont like him as a player and I dont think he's good enough for utd but he appears to be the fault for everything and he's far from it

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    I feel sorry for him. I dont like him as a player and I dont think he's good enough for utd but he appears to be the fault for everything and he's far from it

He is a more than decent squad option he was integral to that 3 game run we went on last year. Then LVG dropped the plan when Chelsea man marked him.
    Funny he was far from our worst player tonight but again gets singled out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Headshot wrote: »

hes a top class pro. he may not be the best player but gives his all and never has a bad word no matter where he plays .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We are shïte, boring and poxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

that 3 game run we went on last year.

Not to take it out of context of the rest of your post, but out of everything that's been written on this thread and elsewhere over the last 2 years, they're the most depressing nine words I've read.

Not to take it out of context of the rest of your post, but out of everything that's been written on this thread and elsewhere over the last 2 years, they're the most depressing nine words I've read.

Ya I guess it is alright, shame we can play good football with this group of players but we seemingly fail week after week.

I want us to go on a run of wins to see if the football improves with greater confidence of the players. Not hopefull though..

Every week im just hoping it clicks but I am losing that hope bit by bit..

Sorry for depressing you :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement