Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Headshot wrote: »
    That they'll ever love you

They would only have to see me. To see me is to love me <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

10 years ago this fella signed for us.

http://youtu.be/SlaozcPmJ9Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

user2011 wrote: »
    10 years ago this fella signed for us.

http://youtu.be/SlaozcPmJ9Q

One of the best and one of my favourite players ever playing for the club. 5 PL titles, numerous other trophies and kept that left back spot his own for 8 years.

Priviledged to see him play week in week out ,he took a huge amount of stick on here for his performances in last three seasons, mainly from people looking for a scapegoat, he was nowhere near as poor as people were saying. Also the heartbeat of the dressing room, has been a big loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Legend!!

Legend!!

It was somebody beside us that threw the hand into him, was a halarious moment, delighted it was caught on tv with a camera right there!

He is a top class character.

star backpage tomorrow has the United board now doing a u-turn on their decision to back LVG and they are getting anxious - sacking him is a possibility.

i hope this is true, though im not sure theres any merit in the source sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I thought Neville would make the better manager out of himself and Giggs

God help us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Well it's not very predominant a tactic used and I can't think of any top team who adopts it. Real / Barcelona and Munich all have versatile all round top class forwards, not really poaches

The handful of teams who can currently be considered top teams don't define what can be successful in football. Differing tactics go in and out of popularity all the time. Unless you think the tactics employed by the current top teams will be the only only successful tactics we will ever see from now on, the fact that they don't use goal poachers at the moment is not important.

Great player in his time and great character Evra. It's just a pity he was allowed to keep going at United past the point he'd become a liability defensively.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Great player in his time and great character Evra. It's just a pity he was allowed to keep going at United past the point he'd become a liability defensively.

so much of a liability that since he left the club, he has played over 50 games for a team that won 3 trophies in 2015 and lost the champions league final, a game in which he played 90 minutes. he will probably win his second Seria A title this season also.

he will also play in euro 2016, theres a decent chance he will start as first choice Left back for France also.

since he left United, he has shown his demise was not as clear cut as people on here wanted it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

so much of a liability that since he left the club, he has played over 50 games for a team that won 3 trophies in 2015 and lost the champions league final, a game in which he played 90 minutes. he will probably win his second Seria A title this season also.

he will also play in euro 2016, theres a decent chance he will start as first choice Left back for France also.

since he left United, he has shown his demise was not as clear cut as people on here wanted it to be.

He was sh*te for the last season or two. He looked vulnerable whenever anyone took him on and was directly at fault for a lot of conceded goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Darmian happy with start to 2016
    He insists he is "happy" at the club after a summer move from Torino and wants to "continue on my way" to becoming a great United player.

"I am happy with the team, the staff and the city, so I just try to ignore the rumours," he said.

"To return after a hamstring injury is not easy. Sometimes it affects you mentally. But now I feel good. I want to play like I did at the beginning of the season and that is what I'm trying to do.

"I think the manager is happy with my progress and when I train I try to improve day by day."

It was only Sheffield United but he looked a lot more like the player we saw at the start of the season hopefully he can play a few games in his favoured position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Evra played 45 games for United in his final season. Last season for Juve he played 34.

You don't need drugs to explain any increase in form, you can simply point to less games played at an older age. To me he is evidence of a player being managed properly instead of being flogged for every ounce at a time when he needed rest, he had a lot of miles on the clock going into that final season with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Evra played 45 games for United in his final season. Last season for Juve he played 34.

You don't need drugs to explain any increase in form, you can simply point to less games played at an older age. To me he is evidence of a player being managed properly instead of being flogged for every ounce at a time when he needed rest, he had a lot of miles on the clock going into that final season with us.

The tempo of the Italian game is a bit slower as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

This is the most accurate description.

Fergie possibly could have brought in better than Buttner, Moyes tried but ultimately failed to bring in cover. Evra desperately needed his game time managed.

• Advertisement

Huge week for LVG, we are away in two tricky games, spurs home to leceister and Sunderland, leceister away to villa then at weekend.

I think it's leceister that we should focus on getting into the top 4 instead of, as opposed to Spurs who are playing far too well for us to catch unless we have a dramatic improvement in form.

Spurs could easily win both games and we fail to win both, realistically we have to get at least 4 points and I think the best outcome in the spurs/Leicester game is a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

beno619 wrote: »
    This is the most accurate description.

Fergie possibly could have brought in better than Buttner, Moyes tried but ultimately failed to bring in cover. Evra desperately needed his game time managed.

I think Moyes' problem with transfers in general was that he settled for a next year approach with a couple of transfer under the idea that he'd still be there. Herrera and Shaw came in and I'd say inroads were made with Fabregas who may or may not have been interested if United made the CL.

If Shaw and Herrera were signed in the first window or even January then it could have made a big difference to the options in the squad, given some of the older players a rest and more effectively dealt with the injuries.

There were players like Rio and Evra who could still put in games at a high level but would be ragged if they had to play twice a week which they all too often were.

It's really starting to look unlikely now that we will sign players this window, especially a player who is better than what we have, isn't it?

I think bringing back Keane and Adnan is a sign that the club don't expect anything to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Guys, accusing a player of doping without zero proof is potentially libel, and can get the site in trouble. I'll be deleting some of the relevant posts with regards the discussion on hand. Try to avoid such accusations.

(and if you've any further comments to make with regards this mod warning, please PM me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

It's really starting to look unlikely now that we will sign players this window, especially a player who is better than what we have, isn't it?

I think bringing back Keane and Adnan is a sign that the club don't expect anything to happen.

Getting the same feeling here. Things seem to be very quiet on the transfer front.

• Advertisement

• KH25 wrote: »
    Getting the same feeling here. Things seem to be very quiet on the transfer front.

Same story every window, tabloids no nothing so they create bull**** every week.

Fans get frustrated / impatient etc.. etc..

Tbf in regards to our recent transfer dealings they have been handled correctly from a press perspective IMO. Announce nothing until it's concrete.

Don't panic just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Is there really any point in throwing more money at the team with VG at the helm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

very quiet in here today. Presume everyone feels the very same way scholes does, fed up, bored, sick of watching United (hate saying that)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

bangkok wrote: »
    very quiet in here today. Presume everyone feels the very same way scholes does, fed up, bored, sick of watching United (hate saying that)

Should pick up after/during the press conference @ 12:30!

• Huge game tomorrow.

Sky Sports 1 I assume?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Huge game tomorrow.

Sky Sports 1 I assume?

BT1 for both games this week

There's a very straightforward explanation for Evra's dramatic improvement in form since his move to Juventus, but I've been told by the mods that we can't discuss it, so we'll have to leave it there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We really should sail through the next two games, even in current form.

Newcastle are five games without a win now, though did beat Spurs 6 games back, and only lost by 1 to all 4 of their last opponents. Won't be easy playing like we play, but should win.

Pool are ravaged by injuries. They're without a lot of first teamers, and we couldn't be facing them at a better time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can't say I ever suspect big things or major things to happen in January. Rarely to never is there availability of the type of player that we would want or would improve our first XI.

Just puts more emphasis on having a good summer window.

Speaking of windows, probably at the point now where we can look back objectively at the summer window and what happened, rather then the impact during or immediately after.

Schneiderlan: I think he has been an excellent addition and a big part of our improved defensive play. A very coveted after DM I was chuffed we signed, and havn't been disappointed with. Our No.1 DM imo.
    Schweinsteiger: Still has the heart, the guts and the class, just missing a bit of the drive. I'm happy enough with his arrival, as a great experienced player and leader.
    Memphis: Hasn't settled at all. Very off the boil and confidence looks a bit low. Wouldn't consider him a busted flush or anything of the sort. Hopefully can improve second half of the season. On form and firing could save Van Gaals job.
    Darmian: Really impressed early into the season and then I think got some harsh treatment from Van Gaal that knocked him back. Coupled with the injury went of the boil a bit, but looks a really talented right back and good signing.
    Martial: Had very limited exposure to him upon signing, but once you cut away the initial outrage at the price, you can see why he cost so much. What an incredibly exciting talent. That he seems to effortlessly slipped into the Premier League and a issue ridden team is a credit to himself.
    Romero: I don't think much to be said here. As far as backup goalkeepers go, probably a good one to have in emergencies.

In terms of the outs

Di Maria Cant but be disappointed in this departure, but I suppose if he didnt want to be there in the first place, he might have been looking for excuses. LVG defo could have handled him better.
    Johnny Evans Youll hear no complaints from me
    Javier Hernandez Still probably a point of contention for many, but I can appreciate why he would be sold and have no major issues with it.
    RVP Whats transpired since his departure makes this a very good decision in terms of squad cohesion and harmony. Great player for us in one and half seasons
    FalcaoThe heart is still there, the ability looks lost. Unfortunately for him looks like he is moving into some mediocrity which is a massive shame. Was worth the punt, but not worth keeping.

What we did well
    We addressed the midfield issue quickly by signing one of the best DM's operating in the league, and bringing in a world class talent in Schweinsteiger. We secured two incredible prospects in Memphis and Martial and addressed the Rb issue with Darmian. There was a spare of business done quickly in how they were unveiled, which allowed most of the new signings to get a good pre-season with the club. Best business of all, is that we kept De Gea. For how long to be seen, but that was a brilliant coup when all looked done and dusted.

What we did poorly
    Halfway through the season being able to look back, the decision to rely on Rooney has massively backfired. I didn't see his decline coming, so doubt the club did either. But not putting some contingency in place has massively backfired. Woodward appeared to get sucked into some "transfer sagas" again, and maybe needs to get a bit more firm in those situations with big named players. Being unable to convince Di Maria to stay does sting, but blaming the club might be harsh considering the situation. The Van Persie transfer was a bit of debacal that surprisingly didn't make any massive headlines. The fee in the end by the way was about £4m. There was no official announcement from us, and his transfer is not actually recorded on the websites transfer history. Considering how quick people and media want to jump on Uniteds poor transfer dealings, really surprised this went under the radar as it did.
    The CB decision has probably not become a massive deal, but he percentage of luck in that can be debated. It was a risk not getting in a new CB, and that Blind and Smalling have done so well, would be cheeky of Van Gaal to claim he could see coming

What needs to be done
    January I hold little faith in to be honest for signing quality. But who knows what might transpire, there are some talented players sitting on benches and squad fringes around Europe.
    I feel over the course of this January, and next summer we will require (just some targets of my own):
    Top quality striker who will score 15-20 league goals pretty much guaranteed (Lukaku, Lewandowski, Kane)
    A proper creative player in at #10. Assuming Mata does not get given the role for remainder of the season (Gotze,Isco)
    A right sided winger to inject pace/creativity/threat where Mata currently sits (Lindaard massive developement?, Robben, Bale,Reus)
    A centre back to partner Smalling longer term, freeing Blind back up for midfield (Hummels, Marquinhos,Stones)

Ideally business done earlier, but thats a given that I'm sure the club wants. I'd really like the club to avoid any pitfalls regarding sagas and other players using a potential transfer for a contract bump, and Woodward to be firmer in his negotiations.

There's a very straightforward explanation for Evra's dramatic improvement in form since his move to Juventus, but I've been told by the mods that we can't discuss it, so we'll have to leave it there.

yes there is, Juventus were not a team in transition, much slower league, less games to play, playing in a better team

• Advertisement

yes there is, Juventus were not a team in transition, much slower league, less games to play, playing in a better team

I just said that I'm not allowed to post my side of the discussion and yet you still respond to me discussing it. Yeah well done, make all of your points when I can't respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lord TSC wrote: »

Newcastle are five games without a win now, though did beat Spurs 6 games back, and only lost by 1 to all 4 of their last opponents. Won't be easy playing like we play, but should win.

Pool are ravaged by injuries. They're without a lot of first teamers, and we couldn't be facing them at a better time.

Tbf you could say that teams are playing us at right time too.

I will fall off my chair, if we get 6 points from these 2 games, it's that bad.

I'd say I'm frustrated, but I wouldn't be sick of watching United (as much as maybe sometimes I might indicate that on the heat of the moment)

I do tend to hold strong values to the "supporter" part of being a fan. As much as I enjoy discussing and debating things here, or with friends about tactics, signings, formations and the likes, I do accept I probably don't have a breeze and nothing is as easy as I, or anyone else, makes out.

My positive outlook on things is mostly with the hope of the corner being turned, things picking up, a dramatic charge up the table and all that jazz. When things look in the dumps, that we can turn it around and make a charge on a title or whatever.

Might be unrealistic, might be silly, but I find that an entrancing part of being a football fan. That no matter how bad things look or get, it can get better just as quickly and incredible things can happen.

When I was a fan as a teen I used to make concrete judgements about managers, fans, clubs etc based on like, one performance, or one thing. And it was just stupid. I came to learn what people meant by "typical United fan" or "typical liverpool" fan etc and tried to make a conscious effort to stay clear of that.

Not that I've any problem with people that are like that, or fans who want a change of management etc.

But while I might get angry at a performance or frustrated, I'll never get sick of watching United, or stop watching them, because I want to believe there is a point where it will all turn around, and that is going to be one of the most exhilarating things I'll have had as a fan in years

I think all sort of logic and formbooks go out the window for Liverpool games. But I know what you are getting at. I'll be annoyed if we don't win that, their team are ravaged with no real prospect of anyone returning for it of significance.

Newcastle I'm starting to move into a bracket with Sunderland and Villa. If you don't beat them convincingly it's a piss poor showing. For the odd sporadic result for Newcastle, they are returning to the mean of basically losing.

The draw with them at home still stings me, along with the Swansea defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Evra gave up defending in his last couple of season. Didnt bother his hole imo.

Anyway its all been done to death before.

Also I dont know how him having a good career at Juve disproves that he was ****e for Utd in the latter part of his career there.

BT1 for both games this week

The Liverpool game is on Sky - they've been plugging it all weekend

as you said yourself a few days back, we normally f*ck these games up.

or another way of putting it, we rarely win "easy" games anymore and the ones we do, we make really hard work of them.

newcastle parked the bus against us at Old Trafford. i expect them to do the same on Tuesday. they also have 12 injuries!

the good thing for us is that Liverpool have had a tough couple of weeks in terms of games and its not getting any easier for them.

i think they play Arsenal Wednesday night, then us and then they have reply, and an away game at Leceister coming up.

if i was a Liverpool fan, i would be very worried about their upcoming fixture list, they have 7 games in the next 27 days, which will become 8 if they win their replay.

so, i do think overall it is a brilliant time to play them and we could really once and for all end their top 4 asperations by beating them on sunday - we simply have to do that.

I just said that I'm not allowed to post my side of the discussion and yet you still respond to me discussing it. Yeah well done, make all of your points when I can't respond.

tumblr_ljkhyfL8bF1qc2s5go1_500.gif

Coat22 wrote: »
    Is there really any point in throwing more money at the team with VG at the helm?

I don't mind the idea of LVG being allowed to buy one or two players just now, as long as he sticks to the more obvious positions of need. Because while his overall squad planning has been dire, the actual quality of the players he has bought has been fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Put the house on Wijnaldum to get a goal tommorow

A defeat would be 5 in a row for them, the longer the streak goes on the more likely it will change

The Liverpool game is on Sky - they've been plugging it all weekend

I meant both midweek games! :D

I don't mind the idea of LVG being allowed to buy one or two players just now, as long as he sticks to the more obvious positions of need. Because while his overall squad planning has been dire, the actual quality of the players he has bought has been fine.

Agreed the quality of the players has been great but its what he then does with them which makes the whole thing pointless imo. Memphis, Darmain and to an extent Martial have all regressed since they joined and that's down to the way VG has them playing (or where he has them playing). We could buy Messi at the moment and would probably then rotate him with Carrick and Schweinsteiger to pass the ball sidewards.

A defeat would be 5 in a row for them, the longer the streak goes on the more likely it will change

Really?

I'd be confident that Schneiderlan will deal with him aptly. And I think the Newcastle frontline for all the flash, has very little end product.

Be confident of a clean sheet again if I'm honest. And disappointed if we dont score considering just how horrendous Newcastle can be defensively.

The Football weekly lads run a theory that Newcastle up their ante for televised games, so maybe I should be concerned for tomorrow :D

Agreed the quality of the players has been great but its what he then does with them which makes the whole thing pointless imo. Memphis, Darmain and to an extent Martial have all regressed since they joined and that's down to the way VG has them playing (or where he has them playing). We could buy Messi at the moment and would probably then rotate him with Carrick and Schweinsteiger to pass the ball sidewards.

Van Gaal REALLY needs to get back to some basics. And the start of that is putting players in their clearly best positions.

I can understand the utility of Fellaini, and to a certain extent Martial who looks as dangerous out wide as he does through the middle. But as he continues to play some players out of position, with the performances not improving, changes inevitably come.

I know we all post our preferred formations and the likes, but I find it an incredibly hard thing to do lately as there is what I perceive as players positions, that can sometimes be totally at odds with what Van Gaal belives are their positions.

There is going to come a point where he will need to bite the bullet and play players in their strongest positions and try get a convincing performance.

If I was Van Gaal with my back against the wall, I'd go with this tomorrow

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=9wx6f

Tbf you could say that teams are playing us at right time too.

I will fall off my chair, if we get 6 points from these 2 games, it's that bad.

Dude not sure if you missed my posts recently but we are on a 10 game winning streak 2 games in at the moment... Hope you have a soft landing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I agree with you Doc, players aren't being put into their rightful positions. I think Mata is the best example. Without getting into the debate of whether he should be starting at 10, I think we all agree that he is a waste on the wing, yet he's consistently on the right. And then LVG talks about needing pace? I love Mata but pace is not exactly one of his strengths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wenger has actually gone on record saying he will be busy in January, will definitely be strengthening Have they signed anybody?

Adnan wasn't playing, asked for his loan to be cancelled, Keane also asked for his loan to be cancelled.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Same story every window, tabloids no nothing so they create bull**** every week.

Fans get frustrated / impatient etc.. etc..

and its the same story every window, people failing to realise that theres no reason you need to wait until the last day of the window to sign players, you need your business done early especially teams who are struggling like we are. January is difficult however, i think everybody appreciates that and it looks like unless something changes (like a player forces a move), we wont be able to sign anybody.

saying we dont expect anything coming in is not frustration, impatience or panicking, its being very level headed and realistic as the reality is that we wont get anything done.

there is nothing in the press, as it would appear right now that nothing is happening YET. we brought back two players off loan, this is significant in my opinion and also, when a manager is under the radar, i doubt the club will be willing to give him more money to spend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

KH25 wrote: »
    I agree with you Doc, players aren't being put into their rightful positions. I think Mata is the best example. Without getting into the debate of whether he should be starting at 10, I think we all agree that he is a waste on the wing, yet he's consistently on the right. And then LVG talks about needing pace? I love Mata but pace is not exactly one of his strengths!

I think Van Gaal will be in a much better place, when his selections arn't consistently open to question.

There will always be debate among fans etc about who is starting etc., but every Van Gaal lineup comes with 2-4 major questions over a player in a position.

Mata on the right was a worthwhile experiment, but in the current formation it is not working out at all. It worked in the 4-3-3 with Herrera being tight to him forming triangles with a marauding Valencia. But that is gone now.

Mata has a wonderful left foot, and I LOVE those angled balls he bends into the back post. But I think at this point the right flank is blunt, and he would be better served playing as the 10, with Lingaard starting on the RW. And actually, I'd probably start Ashley Young there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement