Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd imagine if Saul is coming in (IF), then the talks of Fellaini leaving probably will increase....

different positions really, have seen it said that he would be similiar to Bastian.

i dont think he will be a signing to change our fortunes, our problems are the front 4 but Louis seems to think differently. is there any winger in ATH Madrid we can take instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He would decrease the need to play Bastian as much which would help him. Ander, himself and Schneiderlin could work very well as a midfield trio also.

He would provide another good option which is not a bad thing, but I think there is another position that needs an upgrade more importantly.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I know they always look good in those videos.

He seems very energetic, there was a Roy Keane sliding tackle to win the ball, goal scoring. Maybe United want him as they believe he will bring energy to the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/686566228324945920

COPE and @RuizAntonito are also reporting that Manchester United have indicated that they are ready to increase their offer to €25-26million

Obligatory youtube vid.

If he signed,LVG would probably tie his two legs together for the first two weeks so he would end up having the same "match rhythm" as his team mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Id love an energetic midfielder like freddy guarin or in that mold someone to drive a game and is equally as good charging forward as forgetting back for tackles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd imagine if Saul is coming in (IF), then the talks of Fellaini leaving probably will increase....

Somewhere, Bangkok just got the weirdest boner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Seriously don't expect any January signings especially with uncertain future of LVG, why would they throw more money at him ?

Improving the squad is never a bad thing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Saul's a good player but if we're raiding Atletico there'a number of players i'd have before him, Griezemann,Koke,Torres and Godin obvious ones but the young winger that scored the weekend Yannick Ferreira Carrasco is very raw still but has all the ability and flair in the world and could become anything in the next 2 years,probably better off staying away from him until Van Gaal goes though as he'll inhibit his flair. Jackson Martinez won't be there much longer. Who'll take a gamble on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Havent seen much of him but the bits i have he seems a good player definitly one for the future as i think he should only improve but if were buying i would much rather a striker, center back and right winger.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Seriously don't expect any January signings especially with uncertain future of LVG, why would they throw more money at him ?

Im not expecting any signings,but Moyes who was under pressure was given the funds to sign Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pro. F wrote: »
    Ah come on man, you didn't watch him close to that much.

I dunno, I know D personally and he's mad for the oul German and Dutch football on ocassions. I'd call him weird but I went to Eircom league games for years and loved the Serie A back in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Nalz wrote: »
    I dunno, I know D personally and he's mad for the oul German and Dutch football on ocassions. I'd call him weird but I went to Eircom league games for years and loved the Serie A back in the day!

tumblr_m0hxb2d4HD1qibz0jo1_r1_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

secman wrote: »

They may not feel his future is that uncertain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    tumblr_m0hxb2d4HD1qibz0jo1_r1_500.png

You've had him too? Niiice :)

• a defensive central midfield, another position we are well stocked in and another transfer that while welcome, is not a priority.

you would assume this means we are keeping the two defensive midfielders tactic going anyway.

Your going on a rumour and having a go at lvg

He openely admitted hes in the market for a winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Im not expecting any signings,but Moyes who was under pressure was given the funds to sign Mata.

in 2014 at the start of the january window -
    1. Moyes was 6 months into a 6 year contract. there were huge financial ramifications if they sacked him.
    2. we had done very well in the champions league.
    3. we were only 3 points of champions league football as of the last game of the year in 2013.
    4. we had gone into the window, winning 5 games in a row.
    5. we were in the semi final of a cup competition.
    6. Moyes was being given time and while 1000s of fans wanted him sacked, it is clear the board had no intention of doing it for a long time yet or until at least Europe was no longer possible.
    7. Moyes hadnt just spent £250m already...he needed backing.
    8. Woodward was under immense pressure to deliver a top class signing.

things were much different back then in many aspects, not least in the fact that Moyes still had good support, LVG has very very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

TheTownie wrote: »
    Adios Ben!

And to think we are only selling him for something like 100k.

He had a very good loan at barnsley then came back and sold for peanuts without ever being given a chance.

zerks wrote: »

As long as Herrera dosnt get shafted i don't care.

Saul is suppose to be good, havnt seen him much though.

Hopefully this might mean the end for Fellaini. He tries but just isnt good enough.

James Nesbitt doing his bit to get Ronaldo back to United as presenter of the FIFA Ballon d'Or.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

RobertKK wrote: »
    James Nesbitt doing his bit to get Ronaldo back to United as presenter of the FIFA Ballon d'Or.

F**k that. Get him in Messi's ear, tell Messi to bring Neymar too.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    And to think we are only selling him for something like 100k.

He had a very good loan at barnsley then came back and sold for peanuts without ever being given a chance.

He wasn't good enough for the first team, he was lucky enough a team came in with a decent offer for him and he can go now and forge a career for himself.

This weird obsession with players not being given a chance is mind boggling, what do you think it is when they are signed and brought through the academy, playing in the underage teams, playing in the reserves, that is their chance! They have to show enough quality to get a shot at the first team, if it doesn't happen they often make good pro careers for themselves at other clubs. United has a great record of giving youngsters a good education and a shot at football as a career. Not always at United but look through the clubs, plenty of ex Unted products in the Premier League, the Championship and League One.

You speak about Fellaini not being United standard and your going to get upset over Ben Pearson? Wish him well for the future.

You speak about Fellaini not being United standard and your going to get upset over Ben Pearson

Cmon now their completely different.

One was bought for £30m as a first team player.

The other is a young acadamy player who went on loan and did very well and then was never given a chance before being shipped off while players of lesser quality like Blackett and Keane remain at the club.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

F**k that. Get him in Messi's ear, tell Messi to bring Neymar too.

Not a hope.

Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church will be the only two signings.

He wasn't good enough for the first team, he was lucky enough a team came in with a decent offer for him and he can go now and forge a career for himself.

This weird obsession with players not being given a chance is mind boggling, what do you think it is when they are signed and brought through the academy, playing in the underage teams, playing in the reserves, that is their chance! They have to show enough quality to get a shot at the first team, if it doesn't happen they often make good pro careers for themselves at other clubs. United has a great record of giving youngsters a good education and a shot at football as a career. Not always at United but look through the clubs, plenty of ex Unted products in the Premier League, the Championship and League One.

You speak about Fellaini not being United standard and your going to get upset over Ben Pearson? Wish him well for the future.

Its not a weird obsession while I don't think he is good enough its only natural that people wonder because a player united didn't give a chance to Is at this moment on stage in Zurich in the world team of the year four years after fergie bringing back Paul scholes instead to of giving him a chance.

James did well to get this gig

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its not a weird obsession while I don't think he is good enough its only natural that people wonder because a player united didn't give a chance to Is at this moment on stage in Zurich in the world team of the year four years after fergie bringing back Paul scholes instead to of giving him a chance.

It is a weird obsession. Its a Pogba hangover I assume? He is the exception rather then the rule and there was not a fan who agreed with the decision to hold him back from the first team. He has clearly earned a shot, even Fergie was telling him that. He has absolutely nothing to do with Ben Pearson, he is simply not comparable with regard to what talent or ability the players have shown.

The assumption is always that the player is not given a chance, that is a weird assumption to me, maybe I should have said that instead of obsession? They get a chance every single day in training for a number of years generally and matches to show they are capable of playing for the first team.

Them not making it does not mean they have not had a chance!

If that were the case, a dozen or so players every year who get released from the academy must never have been given a chance by the club also. Its a weird conclusion to draw when a player is clearly not of the level required.

Januzaj was given a chance, Perreira is given chances, Lingard, McNair etc etc, its not like the club doesn't try players from the underage teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »

TBF for every Pogba, there is hundreds of players that come through the Academy that are not a high enough standard for the first team. I mean if Pearson was really that good you would have expected a Top PL team to step in and buy him, especially for the price he went for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Derby away in the cup

FA cup

Manchester United play Derby County away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mitten, newstalk, 7.30

Mitten, newstalk, 7.30

Thanks, he is always interesting.

Will keane has 2 goals in the u21.

astradave wrote: »
    TBF for every Pogba, there is hundreds of players that come through the Academy that are not a high enough standard for the first team. I mean if Pearson was really that good you would have expected a Top PL team to step in and buy him, especially for the price he went for.

Ah I know he aint good enough and I know pogba is rare im just saying thats why people question a player doing well on loan and then coming back and is sold,

there are a few exciting players in our Academy at moment only time Will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Derby ain't gonna be easy. There around the top of the Championship last time i saw the table. Away as well makes things even worse.

Hopefully the style of football improves this week. A convincing win against Newcastle tomorrow and against Liverpool will lift the fans and all of a sudden LVG probably won''t be getting as much battering as he is atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Derby ain't gonna be easy. There around the top of the Championship last time i saw the table. Away as well makes things even worse.

Hopefully the style of football improves this week. A convincing win against Newcastle tomorrow and against Liverpool will lift the fans and all of a sudden LVG probably won''t be getting as much battering as he is atm.

Plenty of Irish players too, they are second in the league atm i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

From Andy Mitten's latest article for ESPN:

"Manchester United, the biggest club in the world by many indicators and one which has failed to trouble the Ballon d'Or and FIFPro awards with alarming regularity. Barcelona charter a flight to Switzerland every year for the awards. The only time United are likely to go to Switzerland is to play a team in the Europa League."

:(:(

Is that supposed to be surprising though?

Its a contest every year between Messi and Ronaldo. I get his point, but the best/biggest team does not necessarily have the best individual players either. The unfortunate thing for the rest of the world is how many of the top 10 or so players in the world play for Barcelona/Madrid.

Do Munich, one of the biggest clubs in the world trouble the awards any more regularly then United?

Will Keane gets his hattrick.

One of the poorest ones iv seen in a long time. 2 penalties and a deflection off a shot from somebody else that he knew nothing of.

Meh, might give him some confidence.

3-0 away to Reading, 65 mins gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Do Munich, one of the biggest clubs in the world trouble the awards any more regularly then United?

At least they trouble other goalkeepers from time to time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

According to Mitten

United have not scored in Scoreboard End or East Stand side since Mid September.

That's awful.

At least they trouble other goalkeepers from time to time...

We can but dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Of late yes. In the past we would have had one or two players in the best 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    My friends say the same thing to me. I simply don't know why people don't believe I watched PSV pretty much every week last season, as if its like I had to fly there to see them.

It's not that I find the idea of a football fan watching any random football hard to believe, it's that last February you were saying this about him
    Would be an interesting one to watch. Caught s highlight reel over the weekend of him and he seems in blistering form.
    I'd mention at this point outside of the WC and parts I saw of him when I watched PSV predominantly for Strootman, a lot of the info I've been getting on him this season has been second hand from pod casts and articles.

Is that supposed to be surprising though?

Its a contest every year between Messi and Ronaldo. I get his point, but the best/biggest team does not necessarily have the best individual players either. The unfortunate thing for the rest of the world is how many of the top 10 or so players in the world play for Barcelona/Madrid.

Bayern, Juventus and PSG got a player each into the world 11.
    With Barcelona and Real Madrid the rest.

beno619 wrote: »
    Of late yes. In the past we would have had one or two players in the best 11.

Ok, who was the last Munich player to win a Baloon Door?

In the past? We have had 9 appearances in the world XI, and one of those was Di Maria. Ronaldo x 3, Vidic x 2, Rooney, Evra and Rio x 1 (Munich have still only had 8 in case you were wondering)

We haven't had anybody in it since 2011 (bar Di Maria)

Compare that to Barcelona (42) and Madrid (28) and I think you will agree we have never had a heavy regular presence there.

To further show that

2005- 0
    2006- 0
    2007- 1 Ronaldo
    2008- 2 Rio and Ronaldo
    2009- Our peak, 3 Vidic, Ronaldo, Evra
    2010- 1 Ronaldo
    2011- 2 Vidic, Rooney.
    2012- 0
    2013- 0
    2014- 1 Di Maria, though we all know it wasn't anything to do with what he did at United.

PSG have more of a pedigree in the recent past having had 5 appearances since 2011.

We have not troubled the Fifpro team of the year for going on 5 years now really. The best players now play in Spain, with Munich hoovering up the best of the rest really. The teams who are successful have their players in it, De Gea has been every bit as good as if not better then Neuer but he won't make the team because Neuer wins trophies.

Its the same players getting in all the time for them also, Neuer, Lahm, and generally one of Ribery or Robben.

This year was just Neuer was it?

I dunno why I'm even typing, I am not actually sure what you are arguing with me about this time...

Bayern, Juventus and PSG got a player each into the world 11.
    With Barcelona and Real Madrid the rest.

Can you see a difference between those teams and United at the moment?

I should have been clearer maybe in the first post, when I said trouble the awards I was more talking of the actual Balon D'or, it is a contest between two guys each year. I never pay any attention to who gets voted into the Fifpro team of the year tbh. Having looked in to it further it doesn't seem to make Mittens point any more surprising though considering we haven't been in that team for years really.

• Derby County away...hmmmm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement