Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's not that I find the idea of a football fan watching any random football hard to believe, it's that last February you were saying this about him

I'll concede it must then not have been as regular as I felt it was. Might well have been in the second half of the season I started watching them week to week.

But I did, and have, always been watching the highlight packages from Holland each weekend for a number of years.

but I take what your getting at, although its in no part from me trying to act like I know more about him then I do, or trying to pretend to be some football hipster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We should win, and can't imagine not winning.

But we're playing 18th, and our last 4 leagues games were against 14-17th, and we only managed 4 points, and struggled to them as it was.
    Hopefully though we just plow through them...

bangkok wrote: »
    seen that earlier.

Its the premier league and many things change during a game. Unless he is psychic and knows other teams formations, player line up etc it is ridiculous to sit there in the stand for the entire 90mins. Its one of a few reasons why we are so bad at the moment. You always need to be tweaking tactics throughout the 90mins in order to gain an advantage. We are stuck in a loop at the moment and van gaal is not the man to change that.

The team are briefed during the week about what to do when the opposition does X and what to do when the game is in Y state.

This became abundantly apparent after the Swansea defeat when he said he was disappointed as his team did not react quick enough to them changing to a diamond, a situation that was planned for.

It doesn't bother me either way that he sits there, and I've always been suspect about the manager on the sidelines for 90 minutes giving it loads. I always felt that is just pandering to the crowd.

In situations where there is a tactical change to be made, Van Gaal sends one of the two lads down to pass the instructions.

But he clearly values the work he does during the week and feels the players should be intelligent enough(or certain players in the team) to know what situation has arisen, and how it will be dealt with based on the weeks preperation. I'm totally fine with that, and not against him trying to increase the tactical awareness and football intelligence of our squad.

If ever there was a chance to boost moral and confidence, a game against Newcastle is timely. There is rarely to never an easy game in the league, but Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa provide three good opportunities.

Win is key, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointing unless I see a convincing, dominant performance with a good number of chances created.

Hope that the St.James crowd and emotion spills into their team causing them to attack and come out, otherwise I'd imagine Newcastle are going to just sit 10 men deep and try the odd break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Lord TSC wrote: »

But we're playing 18th, and our last 4 leagues games were against 14-17th, and we only managed 4 points, and struggled to them as it was.

We were fortunate enough to beat them last year at St. James' Park. A defensive howler gifted Young a goal in what was a very unconvincing performance if I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It was only Sheffield United but Depay was impressive when he came on, should start imo. Would love to see him and Martial out wide with Mata through the middle and Fellaini/Herrera with Schneiderlin or Carrick behind him. It'll probably be Schneiderlin and Carrick with Herrera or Fellaini ahead of them, leading to incompetence in attack.

Though I wouldn't mind that if Schneiderlin was let off the leash a bit, thought his best work at Southampton last season was playing box to box, not in the 20m area he seems to be operating in this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Liam O wrote: »
    It was only Sheffield United but Depay was impressive when he came on, should start imo.

Memphis is an interesting one. He's certainly had a poor start to life at United, but the otherside is the reason his struggles are so noticeable is because he's getting on the ball and trying to do stuff. He's failing, but he'll take the shot from outside the box, he'll try and get forward with the ball. I think he's showing that the struggles are something he can overcome, but he really needs to find the confidence to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Memphis is an interesting one. He's certainly had a poor start to life at United, but the otherside is the reason his struggles are so noticeable is because he's getting on the ball and trying to do stuff. He's failing, but he'll take the shot from outside the box, he'll try and get forward with the ball. I think he's showing that the struggles are something he can overcome, but he really needs to find the confidence to do so.

I think there's a decent chance that he's actually just... not that good. Overall he has done very little that has impressed me.

But, I'm someone who generally gives players a lot of time so, given his age, and the poorness of the team in general, I should probably just shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

TheDoc wrote: »
    The team are briefed during the week about what to do when the opposition does X and what to do when the game is in Y state.

This became abundantly apparent after the Swansea defeat when he said he was disappointed as his team did not react quick enough to them changing to a diamond, a situation that was planned for.

It doesn't bother me either way that he sits there, and I've always been suspect about the manager on the sidelines for 90 minutes giving it loads. I always felt that is just pandering to the crowd.

In situations where there is a tactical change to be made, Van Gaal sends one of the two lads down to pass the instructions.

But he clearly values the work he does during the week and feels the players should be intelligent enough(or certain players in the team) to know what situation has arisen, and how it will be dealt with based on the weeks preperation. I'm totally fine with that, and not against him trying to increase the tactical awareness and football intelligence of our squad.

this is what annoys me, he is the manager, he is the one sitting in the stands with the best view in the stadium to see that they changed.

When you are playing it can be difficult to see there has been a change. It is the managers job to tell the players there has been a change, that's what he gets paid for.

So he goes and blames the players saying he is disappointed they didn't react quick enough to the change and yet he just sat there in the stand doing/saying nothing. You couldn't make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

There does seem to be a fear almost to have a shot from outside the box. there seems to be very few done at all. At a stretch except from depay i think ander and rooney had one each but every player just seems to overplay the ball.

• Advertisement

predictions for tonight?

i think we can, should and will win - am going for a 2-0.

Its game 3 of our 10 game winning streak so I'm think we will mark it with a 3-0 win....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Will Big Jonj be able to play?

Am I the only one who read that as "Will Bon Jovi be able to play?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I think there's a decent chance that he's actually just... not that good. Overall he has done very little that has impressed me.

But, I'm someone who generally gives players a lot of time so, given his age, and the poorness of the team in general, I should probably just shut up.

I have the same niggling feeling about him too - the games he's played well in were Brugge and Sheffield - maybe that's about his level?

But that said I think the natural talent is there. I think the "philosophy" may be stifling him so we either replace VG in the summer or he'll struggle again next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Newcastle beat Liverpool 2-0, beat Spurs at WHL and nearly got a (deserved) draw v Arsenal at the Emirates.

Considering our form at the moment, I can't understand anyone that can't imagine us not winning tonight. It's very imaginable from where I'm standing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I hope Mata is dropped soon. He's been dire recently. I just don't see what he adds on the right wing. He needs people to stretch the game around him for him to be effective. When everything is so static it hurts him more than anyone. Against Sheffield United, even his passing was poor and that's probably his best attribute.

I'd prefer to see two of Young, Lingard, Martial, Depay on the wing. They are the only players we have that seem capable of running at defenders and making stuff happen.

Also, Herrera and Schneiderlin need to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

v3ttel wrote: »
    I hope Mata is dropped soon. He's been dire recently. I just don't see what he adds on the right wing. He needs people to stretch the game around him for him to be effective. When everything is so static it hurts him more than anyone. Against Sheffield United, even his passing was poor and that's probably his best attribute.

I'd prefer to see two of Young, Lingard, Martial, Depay on the wing. They are the only players we have that seem capable of running at defenders and making stuff happen.

Also, Herrera and Schneiderlin need to play.

Schneiderlin is a funny one,spends three games on the bench which were losses,plays then against Chelsea and Swansea and the he is back in the "Red Zone"

"Schneiderlin is not injured but he's in the red zone and had an overload,"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Watching Ronaldo talking about his brand as being what he will focus on after football.

The top ten Football club brands for 2015.

1. Manchester United $1,206 million
    2. Bayern Munich $933 million
    3. Real Madrid $873 million
    4. Manchester City $800 million
    5. Chelsea $795 million
    6. Barcelona $733 million
    7. Arsenal $703 million
    8. Liverpool $577 million
    9. PSG $541 million
    10. Tottenham Hotspur $360 million

That is the brand value of the teams that made the top 10 for 2015. While things may not look the best for United right now on the pitch, given the best players want to brand themselves, I think we can get some top players who want their brand to grow coming to United.
    Maybe Ronaldo will return for example, a move for Ronaldo in the summer for example would be great for him and his brand, can't see him going to PSG, it would get him huge attention but nothing compared to a return to United.
    The thing is the EPL has the biggest brand presence and with increased money, it is where the top managers and players will increasingly be.
    Follow the money...

Schneiderlin is a funny one,spends three games on the bench which were losses,plays then against Chelsea and Swansea and the he is back in the "Red Zone"

"Schneiderlin is not injured but he's in the red zone and had an overload,"

Van Gaal knows how important he is, and getting into the CL is more important than a FA cup game where one might get injured.
    I think he was protecting him for more important games and maybe it is why we are suppose to be looking to sign Saul from Atletico.
    Schneiderlin has made himself one of our most important players, and Van Gaal wants Saul so that dependency is reduced.
    Carrick is on his way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ronaldo is past the point where I would take him back. Beware of a steep decline.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Watching Ronaldo talking about his brand as being what he will focus on after football.

The top ten Football club brands for 2015.

1. Manchester United $1,206 million
    2. Bayern Munich $933 million
    3. Real Madrid $873 million
    4. Manchester City $800 million
    5. Chelsea $795 million
    6. Barcelona $733 million
    7. Arsenal $703 million
    8. Liverpool $577 million
    9. PSG $541 million
    10. Tottenham Hotspur $360 million

That is the brand value of the teams that made the top 10 for 2015. While things may not look the best for United right now on the pitch, given the best players want to brand themselves, I think we can get some top players who want their brand to grow coming to United.
    Maybe Ronaldo will return for example, a move for Ronaldo in the summer for example would be great for him and his brand, can't see him going to PSG, it would get him huge attention but nothing compared to a return to United.
    The thing is the EPL has the biggest brand presence and with increased money, it is where the top managers and players will increasingly be.
    Follow the money...

Ronaldo's brand has peaked though and he has already been to United, it would make no sense for him to go back to a much tougher league than he is currently playing in.

PSG looks to be the next step for him and he will make a fortune there and have a better chance of winning a champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Ronaldo is past the point where I would take him back. Beware of a steep decline.

Especially for the overall cost of bringing him back. Think he has eyes on PSG move anyway in the next year or two. A good place to play where he wudnt have to be on it all the time and cud spare himself for big Champions League games. He wud also continue to post good numbers in Ligue 1.

Ronaldo on a steep decline would be scoring 40 goals a season instead of 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal says sometimes we can't disorganise a defence. I'd argue that all of the time we can't disorganise a defence, and the rare occasion we do it's usually a lucky break or Golden Boy doing something crazy

Listen to Einstein Louis, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

some things in our favour tonight -

its an away game, our away games have been better to watch, though at the same time weve lost some away games that we shouldnt be losing.

Newcastle need three points - they will go out to attack us hopefully.

newcastle are terrible.

they have 12 injured players.

what does worry me though, is that Newcastle have seen that parking the bus against us works already once this season and in that game, they had two fantastic chances to win it.

Ronaldo on a steep decline would be scoring 40 goals a season instead of 60

As would scoring 15 instead of 60.

Don't forget who he'll be playing alongside and who he was playing alongside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don't think PSG could handle to Egos as big as Ibra and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

RobertKK wrote: »
    Van Gaal knows how important he is, and getting into the CL is more important than a FA cup game where one might get injured.
    I think he was protecting him for more important games and maybe it is why we are suppose to be looking to sign Saul from Atletico.
    Schneiderlin has made himself one of our most important players, and Van Gaal wants Saul so that dependency is reduced.
    Carrick is on his way out.

I don't know if Saul is good enough defensively yet to play instead of Schneiderlin or Carrick. I think he may be being brought in (if he is being brought in) as competition for Schweinsteiger for now, with Carrick staying as the competition for Schneiderlin.

with the cash that Ronaldo would bring in, im sure they could handle it.

i think Zlatan is on his last season there also.

While it's already starting, he will move into playing at no.9 to prolong his career, and I'm sure he will be incredibly successful at it.

You cannot undervalue how well he looks after himself and just how fit he is. i'd happily take him back to play as a striker

Ibra out of contract in the summer if I remember correctly

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    You cannot undervalue how well he looks after himself and just how fit he is.

This is the line that gets thrown out all the time. We won't know until it happens, just because he looks after himself doesn't mean that playing at the highest level since he was 18 won't catch up on him until he's mid to late 30's.
    The vast majority of players playing at the highest level look after themselves extremely well, he's not some sort of trailblazer in regards to fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Ibra out of contract this summer, expected one year extension if they cant get Ronaldo to replace him and try for ronaldo again following year. According to European Football Show on BT

Premier League not really place for fellas heading into his mid 30s and looking to extend his time at the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This is the line that gets thrown out all the time. We won't know until it happens, just because he looks after himself doesn't mean that playing at the highest level since he was 18 won't catch up on him until he's mid to late 30's.
    The vast majority of players playing at the highest level look after themselves extremely well, he's not some sort of trailblazer in regards to fitness.

Id disagree with you about ronaldo he is unique in terms of how he looks after himself I remember looking at that documentary on sky couple year ago about what makes ronaldo so different and the measurements and muscle type and the type of exercise he does are on another level to the majority of other players.

I'm not saying he is robocop or anything but id say the percentage of chances only ronaldo playing at a high level when he is 35 to 38 are very great the only thing that might stop him is his own desire to keep going when he wont be one if the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Pochettino needs another stepping stone or to do something of note at Spurs before he gets a job as big as the United one, I'd probably have Sampaoli ahead of him and Blanc ahead of both if we are just going to take another leap of faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think Pochettino needs another stepping stone or to do something of note at Spurs before he gets a job as big as the United one, I'd probably have Sampaoli ahead of him and Blanc ahead of both if we are just going to take another leap of faith

If he gets in the top 4 with spurs this year and a maybe a cup final id say he be well on the road if he gets a cup win he will be in demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ibra is the sort of player I could see the likes of LVG taking a punt on in the summer. Should he himself still be here that is which is a big doubt. To be honest I don't like him as a sports man but as a footballer I think the EPL would suit his game.

Strumms wrote: »
    Ibra is the sort of player I could see the likes of LVG taking a punt on in the summer.

cant see many players taking a punt on LVG though, his reputation has taken alot of damage in the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

So is Lavezzi :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Van Gaal says sometimes we can't disorganise a defence. I'd argue that all of the time we can't disorganise a defence, and the rare occasion we do it's usually a lucky break or Golden Boy doing something crazy

Listen to Einstein Louis, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insane

agreed, so he knows what the problem is but he can't fix it !

One of the things that is pissing me off is that we have no plan B when plan A isn't working during a game. In terms of anyone on the bench who can come on and change a game and also tactically... We start 4-2-3-1 We will finish with that formation win loose or draw. I really hate comparing it back to the Fergie days but we are 2 down with 15 to go and we have two class internation strikers of some combination ready to come on... be it Saha, Sheringham, Solskjaer or whoever... we will finish it out with 3-4-3 and throw caution to the wind and be happy loosing 3-0 rather then not give it a shot and throw caution to the wind...

for all the money spent.. where is the depth in the squad ffs ?

Ahead of Pochettino?!

What has he done to deserve the United job?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Ahead of Pochettino?!

What has pochettino done?

KH25 wrote: »
    What has pochettino done?

Managed in Europe for the last 6 years including 3 years management experience in the Premier league.

has his teams playing attractive, free flowing football and is a serious contender to be the next United manager.

Most people here didnt even know who Sampaoli was before last night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Managed in Europe for the last 6 years including 3 years management experience in the Premier league.

has his teams playing attractive, free flowing football and is a serious contender to be the next United manager.

Most people here didnt even know who Sampaoli was before last night

Just wondering why I'm seeing his name so often (poch). What makes him a serious contender? He hasn't won anything in England. Teams playing nice football is all well and good but it's no use if it wins nothing. And just on the experience bit, David Moyes had a lot of PL experience. Did him no favours. Personally I'd see Pochettino as a huge risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

What happened to Van Gaal? Remember when many of us were excited to have him come aboard, and he was saying things like:

"If I played 4-3-3 against Chile, Robben would have had to run after them. They can't do that for 90 minutes. You just have to play according to your strengths... it's all about winning. I'll pick a system that helps me win."

That definitely doesn't seem to be his attitude at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Guardiola: Maybe it'll be two years until I coach in England

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2016/01/12/19250472/guardiola-maybe-itll-be-two-years-until-i-coach-in-england?ICID=HP_BN_5

Waiting for us, That's nice of him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ahead of Pochettino?!

Besides the biggest reason is winning the Copa America with Chile but he has a great club career and especially with Universidad Chile. What a brilliant football team that was

Unbelievable to watch at the time. I remember watching their Copa Sudamericana victory and wow I was blown away

Guardiola: Maybe it'll be two years until I coach in England

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2016/01/12/19250472/guardiola-maybe-itll-be-two-years-until-i-coach-in-england?ICID=HP_BN_5

Waiting for us, That's nice of him :)

He's a gas man, trying to backtrack now after his announcement that his next job will be in the premier league is after putting a load of managers under pressure.

He will be going to Man City, everything is in place for him to go there, id say its just about signing a contract now.

Headshot wrote: »
    Besides the biggest reason is winning the Copa America with Chile but he has a great club career and especially with Universidad Chile. What a brilliant football team that was

Unbelievable to watch at the time. I remember watching their Copa Sudamericana victory and wow I was blown away

International management and club management are completely different.

were they that good Vargas was up front for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If Guardiola does indeed go to City, how would people feel about the possibility of Pellegrini? Considerations about him going from City to United aside.

• Advertisement

He's a gas man, trying to backtrack now after his announcement that his next job will be in the premier league is after putting a load of managers under pressure.

He will be going to Man City, everything is in place for him to go there, id say its just about signing a contract now.

Pep might again follow in the footsteps of Van Gaal like at Barcelona and Bayern.
    There are claims out there that he wants the United job.
    The City job is step down from Bayern.

We don't know but all everyone is doing is speculating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement