Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    If Guardiola does indeed go to City, how would people feel about the possibility of Pellegrini? Considerations about him going from City to United aside.

he seems a really nice man and somebody who can be respected.

have yet to see anybody say a bad word about him, which says alot considering who he manages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,870 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bangkok wrote: »
    He's a gas man, trying to backtrack now after his announcement that his next job will be in the premier league is after putting a load of managers under pressure.

He will be going to Man City, everything is in place for him to go there, id say its just about signing a contract now.

It is bad form to be honest. He should have just said he was leaving Bayern and left it at that or else said nothing. As much as I would dislike City for obvious reasons Pellegrini seems like a decent man and always conducts himself in a proper manner and doesn't deserve that hanging over him.

We talk about Mourinho lacking class but at least since he got the sack he has just kept his gob shut and is waiting it out for a chance. The dogs on the street know he'd like the United job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

KH25 wrote: »
    Just wondering why I'm seeing his name so often (poch). What makes him a serious contender? He hasn't won anything in England. Teams playing nice football is all well and good but it's no use if it wins nothing. And just on the experience bit, David Moyes had a lot of PL experience. Did him no favours. Personally I'd see Pochettino as a huge risk.

Every manager is a risk tbf. Who knows how Guardiola would fare taking the reins at a club that finished 4th and 7th in their last 2 seasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

have yet to see anybody say a bad word about him, which says alot considering who he manages.

Comes across as an absolute gentleman which is extremely rare at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Every manager is a risk tbf. Who knows how Guardiola would fare taking the reins at a club that finished 4th and 7th in their last 2 seasons?

Fair point, but if I had the choice between pep and his proven track record and pochettino, I know who I would choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Pellingrini always seemed like a great guy even in his year with madrid were he was unfairly sacked after guiding them to their highest points total only beaten by peps Barcelona by a few points. Plays a good style of attacking football is a bit rigid with his 442 which is why i think they done poorly in the champions league because you cant play yaya in a 2 man midfield against the better sides. Doubt hed ever get the job because of city but the chelsea job is a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Guardiola would be perfect though. If he came to United and turned things around, brilliant, we all win. He cements his stature as the best manager of his time, we get trophies. Everybody gets drunk and has a grand auld time.

If he fails, after Van Gaal failed, and... well Moyes failed - then it exposes the club, rather than the managers as being the problem. There'd be nowhere left to hide, and all the folks who are chomping at the bit to behead Woodward or whatever would finally be justified in doing so. But it would have to result in positive change or there'd be a revolt.

Either way I can see Guardiola being a positive in the medium term, whereas some other manager who can easily be blamed if the club continue to flounder potentially leaves us in the same situation two or three years down the line. And by then you're edging into Liverpool territory...

Van Gaal's successor has to be an undisputed top tier manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Cross Saul Niguez off the list.

This is what he had to say about transfer speculation:
    “I’m going through a great moment and it shows on the field. I am happy to get goals, but mostly because the team does well. “My biggest dream is to be at Atletico for life.”

Comes across as an absolute gentleman which is extremely rare at that level.

i have a huge amount of time for Arsene Wenger also, though i know many dont like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

RobertKK wrote: »

“I’m going through a great moment and it shows on the field. I am happy to get goals, but mostly because the team does well. “My biggest dream is to be at Atletico for life.”

*United enter with £150k a week
    Yes, playing for Athletico for life was my biggest dream. But playing for United is my wet dream

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »

I think most Alethico players say that im sure you can find a quote of de gea saying it but it wasnt stopping him from going to real

i have a huge amount of time for Arsene Wenger also, though i know many dont like him.

I think he has come across as more affable, credible and reasonable guy in the last couple of years. I used to dislike him for the way any time his side were beaten especially by a so called lesser side the referee would get the blame as well as the opposition for being 'too physical' and not playing 4-2-4 against him. Ohh and of course if his own players did wrong he never saw the incident yet anything else he always had a sure fire opinion on. I understand managers deflecting criticism but he always lacked credibility when he was coming out with that guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoc wrote: »
    *United enter with £150k a week

It's called "The Robbie Keane Clause".

we are around half way through the season and Rooney only needs 11 more goals to pass out Bobby Charlton.

anybody think he will manage it this season? it should give him a huge lift the closer he gets...i think he will.

if we can end the season with him on 20, Martial on 15 and then the likes of Mata and Memphis hitting 10 each we wont be in too bad shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

we are around half way through the season and Rooney only needs 11 more goals to pass out Bobby Charlton.

anybody think he will manage it this season? it should give him a huge lift the closer he gets...i think he will.

if we can end the season with him on 20, Martial on 15 and then the likes of Mata and Memphis hitting 10 each we wont be in too bad shape.

Let's just wait and see if the actual team can score 11 more goals before we look at one player's chances by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think at this stage it's still optimistic for anyone to reach 20 goals unless Isco, Gotze (Mata?) or someone similar was played behind them.

He hasn't hit 20 goals in the last 3 seasons. Wouldn't be too optimistic of that changing in the next four months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Liam O wrote: »
    It was only Sheffield United but Depay was impressive when he came on, should start imo. Would love to see him and Martial out wide with Mata through the middle and Fellaini/Herrera with Schneiderlin or Carrick behind him. It'll probably be Schneiderlin and Carrick with Herrera or Fellaini ahead of them, leading to incompetence in attack.

Though I wouldn't mind that if Schneiderlin was let off the leash a bit, thought his best work at Southampton last season was playing box to box, not in the 20m area he seems to be operating in this season.

Memphis is an odd one, when he starts he generally looks awful, when he comes on at times he can look encouraging, not always either though. He may be more suited right now to coming on when defences get a little tired, a little looser and he can get at them and try to build a bit of confidence. He is really lacking the overlapping runs from Shaw since all he loves to do is cut back and it isn't going to fool any defender since they all know he does it every time, but they have to respect the run of a player like Shaw because if left his pace can get him in very quickly. It would at least mean Memphis probably only has to beat one man when he turns inside, ideally it would actually get him free sometimes also

Darmian has made a few overlaps as he is a more natural left back but generally Blind stays behind the play looking to be the one to pass it and Rojo is always injured. Young likes to come inside also so he doesn't do it as much.

I think with more width in general Memphis would be better, he needs space to work and he isn't able to make it himself often enough right now.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The way the team is playing at the minute i just cant see it. if it keeps continuing like this i think one player to even get to double figures in the league would be unlikely.

Seems that inter have cancelled Vidic's contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Marca have a story that Addidas want Messi and Pep at United, for marketing reasons.

I think I can get on board with that :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Marca have a story that Addidas want Messi and Pep at United, for marketing reasons.

I think I can get on board with that :P

Messi would make a crap marketing manager???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Seems that inter have cancelled Vidic's contract.

That went well.

J. Marston wrote: »
    That went well.

Not the player he once was. Would have thought the slower pace in Italy would suit him but apparently not. Could see 1 or 2 PL teams in for him but I'd say he'll end up in MLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Rooney has scored 3 goals in 16 games for us so far this season. I think the chances of him getting another 11 goals between now and the end of the season is extremely unlikely. Considering how poor this Utd team is at creating genuinely good goal scoring chances and then considering Rooney's form over the season so far it would be a miracle if he managed it IMO. It would take a serious improvement in the teams general play along with Rooney's own game to make it happen.

I've completely lost any faith in LVG and the philosophy at this stage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Has proven success at several clubs at the highest level, got Villareal to the semi final of the CL, at the time achieved Real Madrid's highest ever points total but got the sack to make way for Mourinho, brought Malaga to the CL, and with City has won the league etc.

He would've been a better appointment than Moyes at the time, and, even though he's had money at all of the clubs listed above, he hasn't always had a say in how it's spent but has got on with things and had success.

Quandary wrote: »
    Rooney has scored 3 goals in 16 games for us so far this season. I think the chances of him getting another 11 goals between now and the end of the season is extremely unlikely. Considering how poor this Utd team is at creating genuinely good goal scoring chances and then considering Rooney's form over the season so far it would be a miracle if he managed it IMO. It would take a serious improvement in the teams general play along with Rooney's own game to make it happen.

I've completely lost any faith in LVG and the philosophy at this stage :(

The record is for goals in all comps. Rooney is 9 in 25 for this season so far.

The record is for goals in all comps. Rooney is 9 in 25 for this season so far.

and he will score again tonight against Newcastle ;)

i think he will pass 20 goals anyway before end of season, we have at least 21 games left and he is looking in much better form since his 3 weeks off - was our player against Stoke and Chelsea and scored in the other 2 games.

Not the player he once was. Would have thought the slower pace in Italy would suit him but apparently not. Could see 1 or 2 PL teams in for him but I'd say he'll end up in MLS.

Thought that would have been a good move for him too. Has been injured a lot of the time but I don't think Mancini liked him from what I read, I think it was Mazzari ? who signed him originally. Still only 34, feels like he has been around a lot longer then that. MLS would be a smart move but I wonder would a PL club take a punt on him until the end of the season...

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Thought that would have been a good move for him too. Has been injured a lot of the time but I don't think Mancini liked him from what I read, I think it was Mazzari ? who signed him originally. Still only 34, feels like he has been around a lot longer then that. MLS would be a smart move but I wonder would a PL club take a punt on him until the end of the season...

Could see one of the lower teams looking at him. He'd bring great experience. Not sure whether he still has the ability to play in the PL though.

and he will score again tonight against Newcastle ;)

i think he will pass 20 goals anyway before end of season, we have at least 21 games left and he is looking in much better form since his 3 weeks off - was our player against Stoke and Chelsea and scored in the other 2 games.

I don't agree, but I like the optimism. ;)

Some of this would be nice tonight

2itr0if.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

jayo26 wrote: »

2itr0if.jpg

We'd take anything at this stage!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

league goals or total?

We'd win the league with the lads finishing on those totals, I'd imagine they are all very low at the moment. Isn't Martial our top scorer with five leagues goals? Martial has 5, Rooney 3, and Mata 4 (thanks google)

That's a woeful return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As mad as it is, and I have been burned a LOT by this belief already this season, but I do still believe that it will click at some point. :o

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    league goals or total?

We'd win the league with the lads finishing on those totals, I'd imagine they are all very low at the moment. Isn't Martial our top scorer with five leagues goals? Martial has 5, Rooney 3, and Mata 4 (thanks google)

That's a woeful return

i was looking at the stats today they just dont make good reading at all. Even in assists ozil has more then the team combined in the league.

Ah lads what's going on with the optimism!? Homer talking about a 2-0 win tonight, Rooney getting another 10+ goals before the end of the season, Liam O talking about things still clicking, don't be doing it to yourselves! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

stankratz wrote: »
    Ah lads what's going on with the optimism!? Homer talking about a 2-0 win tonight, Rooney getting another 10+ goals before the end of the season, Liam O talking about things still clicking, don't be doing it to yourselves! :pac:

Hoping for a few shots on target personally. One step at a time and all that.

• jayo26 wrote: »

2itr0if.jpg

Only negative I can give there is that was on the back end of a really bad season if I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

If Rooney scores 20 goals this season, we'd win the Prem.

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »
    If Rooney scores 20 goals this season, we'd win the Prem.

Not if he scored them in europa league....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Liam Grimshaw is about to be sold to Preston.

Never really rated him anyway, not as much as Pearson anyway.

Not if he scored them in europa league....

But then we would win the Europa League and be in the Champions League next season.

Win Win situation.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    But then we would win the Europa League and be in the Champions League next season.

Win Win situation.

Yes but we'd still have LVG as manager... the tedium of it all ! :eek:

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes but we'd still have LVG as manager... the tedium of it all ! :eek:

If he wins the Europa League, id give him more time.

Id love for us to win the Europa league.

Aint going to happen though as we will lose our next game in it.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    If he wins the Europa League, id give him more time.

Id love for us to win the Europa league.

Aint going to happen though as we will lose our next game in it.

hey so would I but that would still take some winning the way we are going.

After all the money thats spent its a depressing situation talking about winning europa league to get into champs league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Totally unexcited about the game tonight. :(

After all the money thats spent its a depressing situation talking about winning europa league to get into champs league.

Trying to make the best out of a bad situation. 4th place is far from guaranteed this season.

https://twitter.com/manutd/status/686974712266637313

He certainly isnt a shining light in the u21s.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement