Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Looks like De Gea won't be going anywhere for a while.. Real and Atletico hit with registration ban for 2 windows with effect from Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

astradave wrote: »
    Looks like De Gea won't be going anywhere for a while.. Real and Atletico hit with registration ban for 2 windows with effect from Feb

R.Madrid. Couldnt happen to a nicer club

I just realised how late I was to the party with my last post :pac: sorry folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

David De Staya at least till 2017 then!

*edit I've ****ing jinxed it now haven't I*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

They both have the current window at least. I wonder if they appeal, will it allow them to postpone the ban and sign players in the Summer?

If so, they will go bat-sh!t crazy signing players while they still can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

no way they would sell Bale or Varane also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I don't see the big deal with what LVG said. Thought it was rather funny how he delivered it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

v3ttel wrote: »
    They both have the current window at least. I wonder if they appeal, will it allow them to postpone the ban and sign players in the Summer?

If so, they will go bat-sh!t crazy signing players while they still can.

They're saying that any appeals wouldn't delay the punishment, since all appeals should be wrapped up one way or another before the summer window opens; that it was a deliberate decision to announce now and have it sorted by the summer.

I'm wondering how long till we see the first story about De Gea leaving now; I can practically hear IndyKilla's keyboard clacking away...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Lord TSC wrote: »
    They're saying that any appeals wouldn't delay the punishment, since all appeals should be wrapped up one way or another before the summer window opens; that it was a deliberate decision to announce now and have it sorted by the summer.

I'm wondering how long till we see the first story about De Gea leaving now; I can practically hear IndyKilla's keyboard clacking away...

ITs great news if FIFA hold their nerve - but its Real so somebody somewhere in the Spanish autocracy will work their way around it.

this is the "versus bottom 1/3rd" table which really does sum up our current issue - we just cannot perform again the bottom teams. it is filtered by points per game as not everybody has played the same volume of games. nobody has played against the bottom teams more than us, Palace and Stoke.

374896.jpg

15 points dropped in 10 games, against the worst teams in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Coat22 wrote: »
    ITs great news if FIFA hold their nerve - but its Real so somebody somewhere in the Spanish autocracy will work their way around it.

With all the bribery coming out into the open, it might be a bad time to try and make thing change that old way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

this is the "versus bottom 1/3rd" table which really does sum up our current issue - we just cannot perform again the bottom teams. it is filtered by points per game as not everybody has played the same volume of games. nobody has played against the bottom teams more than us.

374896.jpg

15 points dropped in 10 games, against the worst teams in the league.

We're turning into the scousers...

Its our year next year so lads
    name on the trophy
    and all that
    ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can't believe United are only three points behind last seasons total at this stage.

It feels like the performances are much worse this season, I suppose the euro failings are a big part of that.

I still think a lot could be achieved this season but not without change. Not much hope of current group making big improvements when the squad is short in numbers and confidence.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Can't believe United are only three points behind last seasons total at this stage.

It feels like the performances are much worse this season, I suppose the euro failings are a big part of that.

we only had 13 points after 10 games last season, lets not forget that. by and large, we played alot of s*it football last season, had alot of bad results but somehow, managed to get top 4.

we did excellently in the big games and had a good run in the spring, when others around us imploded. Everton, Spurs and Liverpool all had shocking bad seasons compared to the year before, their involvement in Europe and some poor transfer work contributed to that.

but ya, performances are much worse overall - we scraped some 1 goal wins at beginning of this season that flattered us.

My guess is LVG doesn't trust the defense, we were looking not too bad before Shaw broke his leg, but that break has being a big part of the season we are having in my opinion,
    Shaw and Memphis were playing so well together, defensively we were doing alright.
    Memphis has not been as good since Shaw disappeared from the pitch, then we are so dependent on Smalling in defense, Darmian started hot then took a hit with the Arsenal game.
    But we need a central defender this window. I think if we had a stronger defense we would play with more energy like we did against Newcastle but without the meltdown in defense.
    Maybe we will sort it out to some extent in this transfer window.

The Madrid transfer ban means no Ronaldo, Bale, Griezmann or James...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ronaldo wont be joining PSG now this summer and I would presume that also means the end of any chance he is going to come back to United. Cant see de Gea leaving this window either although stranger things have happened in football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

bangkok wrote: »
    Ronaldo wont be joining PSG now this summer and I would presume that also means the end of any chance he is going to come back to United. Cant see de Gea leaving this window either although stranger things have happened in football

Cheers for the round up.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Madrid transfer ban means no Ronaldo, Bale, Griezmann or James...

Saul too this window you'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Saul too this window you'd imagine.

I dont think Saul wants to move if he did seemingly he only has an 18 million buy out and madrid couldn't stop him.

Raging now, Real Madrid wont be able to make a bid on the big man in the summer as a new Galactico :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd be astounded if they make this ban stick as is. It will either be appealed and the ban will be reduced or else someone will pull a technicality out of a hat... it's Real Madrid afterall.

Even if it does there is zero chance of De Gea moving in this window. All we have to say is **** off he is under contract which is the obvious luxury we didn't have in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If I had a euro for everytime Bangkok mentioned Fellaini in a post, I'd probably have the €27m to buy him from United myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Strumms wrote: »
    I'd be astounded if they make this ban stick as is. It will either be appealed and the ban will be reduced or else someone will pull a technicality out of a hat... it's Real Madrid afterall.

Even if it does there is zero chance of De Gea moving in this window. All we have to say is **** off he is under contract which is the obvious luxury we didn't have in the summer.

Unless ddg had a release clause put in his new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Unless ddg had a release clause put in his new contract.

I'd hope that United were not that naive. Ball was in the clubs court once that transfer never happened, DDG re-signed or else sat on his arse watching TV until January hoping Madrid would still be interested. So if there is a clause more fool us. I could understand that if they offered a 5 year contract and that after 2 years a clause could be activated, that I'd understand.

• Advertisement

If I had a euro for everytime Bangkok mentioned Fellaini in a post, I'd probably have the €27m to buy him from United myself.

not having a go personally at you, but this obsession on here with Bangkok and his dislike of Fellaini is getting ridiculous now.

its come to a stage where people have set up a siege mentality on Fellaini and their judgment on him is being based on replying/disagreeing with Bangkok as opposed to Fellaini himself.

Nah only 220 odd euro mate but still they should accept that...

not having a go personally at you, but this obsession on here with Bangkok and his dislike of Fellaini is getting ridiculous now.

its come to a stage where people have set up a siege mentality on Fellaini and their judgment on him is being based on replying/disagreeing with Bangkok as opposed to Fellaini himself.

So the people complaining to Bangkok about his obsession with Fellaini are the ones with the siege mentality on Fellaini???? Just let me think about that now... Nah im lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You can't be serious. In less than two weeks:
    Me v Fellaini.... lol if he played well I would have nothing to complain about, but he has been a disaster of a signing. £27, up there as one of the clubs worst ever signings and will be remember as a complete flop when he is sold
    This was posted 2 years ago. Even the biggest fellaini defenders have to look at that and say it is all true/has come true?

Five reasons why Fellaini is a terrible Man United signing

Published 2 years ago

Marouane Fellaini is not the signing most Manchester United fans had hoped for when the summer transfer window opened.
    That's a fairly non-controversial statement. But once your club buys a player, it's natural to begin rationalising it. You want him to do well because you want your club to win.
    But, your gut reaction was right. Fellaini is not the right signing for Manchester United. That doesn't mean he's a bad player. In fact, he's a good player - and very effective in the right system.
    But spending £27.5m on a midfielder who will almost certainly change the club's style of play is a massive risk for David Moyes - even if he does know the player well.
    And that's perhaps why he didn't sign him until deadline day - until all other options (Fabregas, Khedira, Thiago Alcantara, Ander Herrera) were exhausted. It's a risk, and we don't think it was one worth taking.
    So here's five reasons - with some evidence thrown in - as to why Fellaini is not the right signing for United.

5. He'll change the club's style of play
    According to whoscored.com, United played 59 long balls per game last season - 16th most in the Premier League. Everton played 64 - third most.
    United under Moyes so far this campaign - 73-per-game. The former-Toffees manager has already shifted United's style and Fellaini works well within this framework.
    But United have never played this style of football. Will the fans embrace it? And it may work in the Premier League, but it certainly won't in the Champions League.
    Against the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich - teams United want to compete with in the latter stages - it's just too primitive. Fair enough, play long as a last resort in the latter stages - i.e. Borussia Dortmund against Malaga - but it should never be the first option for a top tier European side.

4. He prevents the purchase of a genuine world-class midfielder
    Having spent £27.5m on a new midfielder, it would be foolish to expect United to spend anywhere close to this figure on another in the next few windows. With Michael Carrick and Marouane Fellaini, plus Tom Cleverley in reserve, to buy another £30m+ central midfielder would be an admission of error.
    Fellaini is the player United have chosen - he may not have been first choice, or even second (which is worrying in itself) but he's the one they've gone with. And they're stuck with him.

3. He had the 156th best pass completion in the Premier League - 79.3 per cent
    That puts him well behind Tom Cleverley (90.2 per cent), Shinji Kagawa (89.7 per cent), Michael Carrick (88.1 per cent), Danny Welbeck (86.8 per cent), Antonio Valencia (84.1 per cent) and Ryan Giggs (81.3 per cent).
    Compared to United's current options, he's nowhere near as accomplished a passer. That chimes with the notion that United will change their style with him in the team. And that's OK if you're willing to change, and the change brings about similar results.
    But such a large transfer fee for such a mediocre central midfield passer seems a little strange. It's just not good value for money.
    Not to mention, United have been hugely successful playing a certain way. Bringing in Fellaini, who primarily scored most of his goals from behind the main striker, also jeopardises the position of Shinji Kagawa.
    A starker contrast could not be made between the two players - one is the typical Ferguson playmaker, the other the typical Moyes.

2. But Manchester United will not play him in his best position
    It's fair to assume Fellaini will probably play alongside Michael Carrick in the centre of midfield.
    United tried to sign first Fabregas, then Herrera and then Khedira to play this position. Instead they signed Fellaini. And he'll fill that gap.
    But that's not his best position. Fellaini scored 11 goals and provided five assists last season. And he did that in his role off the main striker - 28 of his 31 appearances came as either an attacking midfielder or second striker.
    The closer the Belgian plays to the box, the more effective he is in terms of bringing others into play. Otherwise his knock-downs and flick-ons occur too far away from the goal.
    But that's the realm of Wayne Rooney, and Manchester United fans hope, Shinji Kagawa. That's £27.5m on a midfielder playing somewhere other than his best position.

1. Statistics show he's not a £27.5m player
    He'll bring a 'muscular presence' to the midfield apparently - what that actually means is he committed the most fouls most often when on the pitch - his 2.6-per-game was the highest in the Premier League last year.
    And despite that, he's only the 14th best midfielder for tackles-per-game (2.6) behind Robert Snodgress and Mousa Dembele. So he's a slightly above-average tackler who also happens to give away the most free-kicks in the league.
    His interceptions-per-game is even worse (1.2) - even Southampton's work shy South American playmaker Gaston Ramirez has more (1.6).
    Remember, he'll be playing in centre midfield most likely - yet his key attributes for a player in this area - pass completion, interceptions and tackling - indicate that at best he's slightly above-average. You don't spend nearly £30m on an above-average player. Not when Arsenal spent £42m for a world-class one.
    His key passes-per-game (1.3) is only good enough for 53rd best in the Premier League - behind Andy Carroll and Barry Bannan. Don't expect Rooney or Kagawa-like vision if he does play in his best position behind the striker.
    And concerning midfielders with more than 25 Premier League appearances, only Everton teammate Steven Pienaar, West Brom's Youssuf Mulumbu and West Ham's Mohamed Dianme were dispossessed more often per game (2.4 times per match).
    And to back this stat up - Fellaini led the league in turnovers-per-match (2.5 times per fixture). That's more than Adel Taarabt (2.2) and Arouna Kone.
    MANCHESTER UNITED'S RECORD WITH AND WITHOUT MAROUANE FELLAINI

WITH FELLANI
    Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United (13mins)
    Manchester United 3-1 Liverpool (90mins)
    Arsenal 3-0 Manchester United (45mins)
    Everton 0-3 Manchester United (9mins)
    Manchester United 0-0 Man City (15mins)
    Crystal Palace 0-0 Manchester United (21mins)
    Manchester United 0-0 West Ham (90mins)
    Bournemouth 2-1 Manchester United (74mins)
    Manchester United 1-2 Norwich City (60mins)
    Stoke City 2-0 Manchester United (90mins)
    Newcastle 3-3 Manchester United (90mins)

Won 2, Drawn 4, Lost 5 - 0.9 points/game

WITHOUT FELLAINI
    Manchester United 1-0 Tottenham
    Aston Villa 0-1 Manchester United
    Manchester United 0-0 Newcastle United
    Southampton 2-3 Manchester United
    Manchester United 3-0 Sunderland
    Manchester United 2-0 West Bromwich Albion
    Watford 1-2 Manchester United
    Leicester City 1-1 Manchester United
    Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea
    Manchester United 2-1 Swansea City

Won 7, Drawn 3, Lost 0 - 2.4 points/game
    honestly, if fellaini was playing well I would have no reason to criticise him, but he is not. He has been terrible. A few good games last season is all he has had in a United shirt, the rest has been forgetful.

He is as bad now as he was in his first season when he signed.
    fellaini is trending on twitter, lots and lots of United fans not happy one bit.

sickening.

should have been 4-2. game over keep the ball last few minutes, 3 points everyone happy and then onto liverpool. Now we and LVG under huge pressure, maybe his last game this sunday
    Fellaini's game by numbers vs #NUFC:
    0 interceptions
    1 yellow card
    4 fouls committed
    1 massive miss
    #MUFC
    what were his 3 best games this season? he has been rubbish in the majority of games he has played.

More fellaini stuff coming after todays game..

http://www.goal.com/en/news/780/fa-cup/2016/01/09/19161222/van-gaal-issues-a-warning-to-fellaini
    de gea, smalling, blind, schneiderlain, Martial, Herrera, Lingard, darmian at the start, shaw at the start, sweinsteiger, all have had their moments, some played well a lot, fellaini has been a joke every game he has played.
    "Fellaini as a centre midfielder. What's he doing there? He'll never ever be one" Scholes
    yet another abysmal performance from Fellaini. seems to be a common theme every time he plays
    fellaini has played the majority of his time either up front or to the left of a front 3 where high angled cross field balls are hit in his direction. Every time he is on the field we seem to go long to him and it doesn't work. We have enough players than can play in the middle, Bastian, Morgan, Carrick, Herrera, Blind even Nick "where is he now" powell can play there
    "Marouane Fellaini has emerged as a transfer target for AC Milan, according to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.
    The Manchester United midfielder is on fringes of the team at Old Trafford, and reportedly could move in January to secure regular football ahead of Euro 2016."

sell sell sell!!!

You can't be serious. In less than two weeks:

I think what he meant to say was posters are trying to defend fellaini saying he is doing well just because I said he has been poor, which in reality he has been. Very poor

• Advertisement

I think what he meant to say was posters are trying to defend fellaini saying he is doing well just because I said he has been poor, which in reality he has been. Very poor

Even people who agree that Fellaini has been poor find the level of criticism and obsession you direct towards him ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Yeah. Fellani needs to go. No debate there.

The worrying thing however, is that Herrara was taken off against Newcastle and Fellani kept on the pitch. And worse, it was the right tactical decision from Van Gaal. Herrara is just as lightweight as his mate from Spain and has the same tendency to drift out of games. Very disappointing, though at least with Herrara there is some hope of him fitting into a desired system based on possession and movement in the future. Fellani will never be good enough for that kind of team at the highest level.

Even people who agree that Fellaini has been poor find the level of criticism and obsession you direct towards him ridiculous.

so why not ignore it then and just skip the post and move on, why does it bother people so much? the more people reply to it, the most discussion it gets - the more bangkok needs to get his point accross and we start all over again.

even you went to the bother above to copy in 14 different posts and clog up the thread with it, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

so why not ignore it then and just skip the post and move on, why does it bother people so much? the more people reply to it, the most discussion it gets - the more bangkok needs to get his point accross and we start all over again.

even you went to the bother above to copy in 14 different posts and clog up the thread with it, again.

Cause it's a pain in the ****in hole and ultra annoying when you are trying to have a serious discussion about a game that's just finished.

It's a joke at this stage that it's still allowed to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I find the Fellaini posts hilarious as are the reactions.

People are going to criticise and take the piss out of people who constantly talk shite Homer. That's how discussion forums, and indeed human interactions in general, work. It would be a weird sort of echo chamber around here if we all just ignored everything we disagreed with / didn't like / found amusing / irritating / etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think playing possession football will play into Klopp's hands. It's worked so far for Van Gaal against Liverpool but that was with Brendan Rodgers as manager.

Think of the first 20 minutes of the Pool Arsenal game but worse because we are less confident under pressure so we'll make more mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What time is kick-off this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

14.05 Sunday

• Advertisement

Some are claiming that LVG didn't call Neil Custis a 'fat man', but said 'that man'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Seamus Coleman looks like he will be going to a different club.

Everton are signing (near enough completed) the rated right back from leeds, Sam Byrom.

I doubt we would be going for Coleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

RobertKK wrote: »
    Some are claiming that LVG didn't call Neil Custis a 'fat man', but said 'that man'.

maybe his thick dutch accent added a phffff sort of noise. then again i'm happy that prick of a journo got called that if he did

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Seamus Coleman looks like he will be going to a different club.

Everton are signing (near enough completed) the rated right back from leeds, Sam Byrom.

I doubt we would be going for Coleman.

Maybe we will given Darmian can also play left back or central defender.

Lets for the sake of it say we sign Coleman, and Shaw returns...

A back four of
    Coleman, Smalling, Darmian, Shaw?

Phil Jones is injured to make this realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No need for Coleman.Darmian and Shaw will be first choice FB's and it would be madness to pay the huge fee for Coleman.

United need a reserve full back .

Right lads I won't discuss fellaini anymore for the next 2 weeks. If he plays this weekend, scores a goal, misses an easy chance or gets sent off I won't say a thing. Some one else can take up the mantle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's not Fellaini's fault he was bought or that is picked to play a lot, he gives it all he has when he's on the field and that's all that you can ask of a player

if people think that all he has isn't good enough then the anger needs to be directed at those who pick him to play and those who choose not to replace him with every passing transfer window, if Fellaini could play like Messi every week he would

See a lot of talk here about players that shouldn't have been sold by van gaal, I just watched the Chelsea west brom game there and Darren fletcher seems to be back to his very best. He bossed the game. Showed great energy, good passing and movement and strong in the tackle. Always liked fletcher, great player for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Darren Fletcher is now going to be used a stick to beat him....well at least its kind of a new one I suppose.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement