Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note Post #2331

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Hardly a news. He is retiring anyways.

Also there are no quotes, he retiring and they are making up reasons for a click bait story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ah come on guys, youth development is over-rated. Sure we had the class of 92, but even across the world of football that is fairly unique.

Man Utd have lots of agreements with feeder clubs from abroad. Let them develop the players and then they transfer to us.

We didn't develop Ronaldo or Rooney, or Roy, or RVN or Yorke or Cole or or or...

The chance of developing a new talent is so slim that the Utd board have probably taken the view that all the money and time invested in the whole setup is simply not worth it when you can basically have your pick of the top young players when they have shown some semblance of talent.

Utd now have the financial muscle to be able to bring in the finished product rather than relying on untested teenagers who, whilst they may make it, will take a number of years. Utd, and other top teams, are judged on this year, not 5 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I have so many disagreements with that post ^ I just don't have time to get to it yet!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Correct me if im wrong, but were the likes of RVP and Andy Cole not putting their kids in the City academy as it was easier to get to as it is in the city and Carrington training ground was outside the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong, but were the likes of RVP and Andy Cole not putting their kids in the City academy as it was easier to get to as it is in the city and Carrington training ground was outside the city?

They don't exactly live in the city themselves so how would it be easier to get into the city? I'd imagine seen as they were training in Carrington it wouldn't be a big deal for the kids to be there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

weemcd wrote: »
    Lads the recent run of results must be getting to your head and clouding your judgement, that plus some nice hazy nostalgia to help blur the reality. The reality is that Danny Wellbeck was absolutley brutal and I was doing backflips the day we got rid of him.

Or people have a different opinion than you.

Mad isnt it?

jayo26 wrote: »
    They weren't even former players rvp was at the club and his young lad was with city,

Andy Cole is a club ambassador and his young lad joined city ya couldn't make that up.

Andy Cole played with City as well, logistically it might have been easier for his young lad to train with city

jayo26 wrote: »
    They don't exactly live in the city themselves so how would it be easier to get into the city? I'd imagine seen as they were training in Carrington it wouldn't be a big deal for the kids to be there?

Kids train only an hour or that a day and not even every day. A United senior player starts usually at 9-9.30 and finishes anywhere between 1.30-5. Easier for the wife to drop the child off at citys training ground and pick him up.

No big deal anyway, they are only children, put them where they are happiest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have so many disagreements with that post ^ I just don't have time to get to it yet!

I can see it as a viable strategy, as long as the club commits to it. Would hardly be the first big company to outsource its R+D.

It all depends on the level of player needed. If you need all your players to be in the top x% of those available then the chances of supplying those players through a youth academy are very slim, whereas a smaller club with a lesser requirement might fill its needs quite well.

So for the big club I could easily make a business case for cutting all costs relating to young players and channeling those funds towards more extensive scouting and relationships with feeder clubs. Let them churn through the hundreds of prospects and then act when the player is more of a sure thing. The complicating factor is that you will still need facilities to develop those still young players that have been bought.

All depends on the costs I guess, what does the club spend each season on training and developing dozens of young players, most of whom will never be good enough. Is that money well spent, or would it be better to save it for buying the best of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Do adults get to choose which one of the United or City academies their kids go into?

I keep on hearing about how former United players have sent their kids to the City academy, but could it not be the case that all these kids just weren't good enough to get into the United one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can see it as a viable strategy, as long as the club commits to it. Would hardly be the first big company to outsource its R+D.

It all depends on the level of player needed. If you need all your players to be in the top x% of those available then the chances of supplying those players through a youth academy are very slim, whereas a smaller club with a lesser requirement might fill its needs quite well.

So for the big club I could easily make a business case for cutting all costs relating to young players and channeling those funds towards more extensive scouting and relationships with feeder clubs. Let them churn through the hundreds of prospects and then act when the player is more of a sure thing. The complicating factor is that you will still need facilities to develop those still young players that have been bought.

All depends on the costs I guess, what does the club spend each season on training and developing dozens of young players, most of whom will never be good enough. Is that money well spent, or would it be better to save it for buying the best of the best.

What you are describing is how I thought it already was, how many of Barca's current prospects are city boys and not farmed in from the rest of Spain or the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pro. F wrote: »
    Do adults get to choose which one of the United or City academies their kids go into?

I keep on hearing about how former United players have sent their kids to the City academy, but could it not be the case that all these kids just weren't good enough to get into the United one?

Interesting. I'm ashamed to say that perspective hadn't occurred to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Possibly. Could also be the case that they are good enough to be looked at by a number of clubs.

Not that it will matter for United player's kids but I know a scout with a PL club in North West England and he knows PL clubs paying parents 'travel expenses' to sign a 9/10 year old child. The parents would be travelling the hour limit to get to the club.

One club comes in with £1,000 a week and another offers £1,200. Which will they take?

To a certain percentage of the population that money wouldn't matter. To others, that's more than both parents will earn in a single year. If the child is good enough, the clubs will pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

One of the full time Devils guys did say he coaches kids in Manchester and city basically invites any kid that looks half decent from local teams, taking large numbers and sending back the ones that aren't good enough whereas United picks the best 1 or 2 players from the team. Quality over quantity type thing, his views on former players kids playing for city was that they were probably just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Did anyone catch the press conference there?

I've been reading a few bits and pieces of comment, indicating that Van Gaal didn't call Custis fat man, and I was wondering if he maybe had another media dig or lecture :)

*Was there a video going around of that comment? Just saw a few things of people saying "People not looking for headlines on Van Gaal heard him say "that Man"

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So what do we think for Sunday folks?

I am fearful and would take a draw right now.

Morgan and Ander need to start.

I'd like to see Memphis get a start ahead of Fellaini. I think he has made a difference when he came on in the last two games and deserves a run. LFC are dodgy at the back at the moment so we need to get at them hard and fast from the get go.

I hate and love this fixture more than any other game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Part of me expects a comfortable United win, akin to the other leg earlier in the season. But another part expects an embarrassing defeat.

Neither team are any good, which makes it pretty hard to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

weve entered a partnership with 20th Century Fox apparently.

would love to see how the memo about this one was worded to the players.

375063.jpg

not sure what to make of this, revenue is good but its a little bit sad that the club is so desperate for more and more money that they would put this on the players.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

not sure what to make of this, revenue is good but its a little bit sad that the club is so desperate for more and more money that they would put this on the players.

Sure its the club, and not just the players or their agents?

Actually does the club have control over player endorsement with this sort of thing?

They would get a %, image rights.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sure its the club, and not just the players or their agents?

Actually does the club have control over player endorsement with this sort of thing?

memphis, Darmian, Ashley Young and Bryan Robson, Andy Cole are also at it. i think you can safely say its the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So what do we think for Sunday folks?

I am fearful and would take a draw right now.

Morgan and Ander need to start.

I'd like to see Memphis get a start ahead of Fellaini. I think he has made a difference when he came on in the last two games and deserves a run. LFC are dodgy at the back at the moment so we need to get at them hard and fast from the get go.

I hate and love this fixture more than any other game.

Van Gaal said we must be in control in this game in the conference as opposed to the Newcastle game, I think we will try to keep the ball but Klopp will want to make it as open a game as possible so Liverpool will press hard on the two midfielders and will get a lot of joy.

it wouldn't surprise me to see Liverpool score 2 or 3 Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Carrick, Schweiny and Jones out
    Janujaz may be on the bench

If liverpool are going to press us high or even mid way in our own half I'd like to see Fellaini playing as he is a great way to by pass a good press.
    That would mean playing Fellaini at 10 though as I dont want to see him in a 2 man midfield. Or a switch to the 4-3-3 we played in the win at Anfield last year.
    I dont think with all our possession we cope well against a good press, after 18 months I'd expect us to be much better tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Just waiting for talk of a film to start. Nonsense like this is what annoys me about the club at the minute.

Are we a football club, or global social networking giant :(

I'd be disappointed without a win on Sunday, regardless of form.

Liverpool defence is a mess and they have some key injuries. Our attack is starting to show a small upward trend, and if the team can just get the balance right, would be confident of a win.

Be interesting to see if Van Gaal goes with what he has done before, controlling possession and essentially dominating the game, keeping Liverpool at arms length, but maybe restricting ourselves in attack. Or if he goes with a similar Newcastle setup and plays for the counter.

I'd probably go with the Newcastle setup, and hope to **** that the defense issue was just a blip for that one game.

Was toying with would he start Memphis, but maybe this fixture might be a bit much at the moment. He needs slow rebuilding in terms of confidence, and has done better in his last two cameos. Probably keep with Lingaard and Martial out wide, Rooney at 9 and Herrera at 10. Schneiderlan and Fellaini again as the holding two.

Be awfully tempted to go Memphis and Lingaard on the flanks, Martial at 9 and Rooney at 10, and Hererra in beside Schneiderlan

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's ok, its being going on in here for a while now and is a good way to beat LVG with a stick

Begging for deadwood to return

I've been doing that for the guts of 10 years Mick and thankfully it seems to have finally paid off...
    Rumors that "Deadwood" would be revived on HBO have been circulating just about since the series ended in 2006, but now it's really happening.

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo has said that he "personally gave series creator David Milch the green light to resurrect the acclaimed yet painfully short-lived Western."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/deadwood-is-coming-back-to-hbo-2016-1?r=US&IR=T
    On topic, I see that the team will be without Schweinsteiger and Carrick for the Liverpool match;

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/688023254162894848
    Schweinsteiger is coming back but he needs more time, Carrick is injured and cannot play (against Liverpool)

I would have liked at least one of them to be available for this match.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Just waiting for talk of a film to start. Nonsense like this is what annoys me about the club at the minute.

Are we a football club, or global social networking giant :(

we are a cash cow for the Glazer family, thats what we are - money is their primary aim now, eveything else comes secondary.

sooner or later, they will realise that unless we get back to winning ways and start playing football like this clubs supposed to play, sponsors and supporters wont be long spending their cash on other things.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Be awfully tempted to go Memphis and Lingaard on the flanks, Martial at 9 and Rooney at 10, and Hererra in beside Schneiderlan

thats what logic would suggest, however LVG wont do that.

injury hopefully forces him into a rethink with Bastian and Carrick out so in terms of forcing him to do the right thing, thats a postive (i hope that makes sense).

however, that said we are still likely to see Fellaini start and ive a feeling Mata will be back in also so back to square one again of slow, pedestrian football :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

thats what logic would suggest, however LVG wont do that.

injury hopefully forces him into a rethink with Bastian and Carrick out so in terms of forcing him to do the right thing, thats a postive (i hope that makes sense).

however, that said we are still likely to see Fellaini start and ive a feeling Mata will be back in also so back to square one again of slow, pedestrian football :(

Mata loves playing Liverpool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

375063.jpg

If that was me i wouldn't care about plugging things if i was getting a few K for it as at the end of the day your career is maybe 20 years as a footballer at best why not try and make the must money you can ?.

There's going to be chances on Sunday, I just hope we take them. Sakho and Moreno will give us chances, there's no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd like to see us line up like this....

DDG

Young---Smalling---Jones---Darmian

Schniederlin---Blind

Martial---Herrera---Lingard

Rooney

Subs : Romero, Borthwick-Jackson, McNair, Mata. Fellaini, Memphis, Periera

I'd be worried after the Newcastle game about our CDMs. Fellaini and Morgan were overrun at times when Newcastle pressed and came forward in numbers. Much is made of Liverpool's weaknesses but their big strength is their pressing and they are very good at that and work hard all over the pitch. No point in saying we will expose their weak back four if we can't get possession and in their half too. Can see it being a bit like the Liverpool vs Arsenal game.. a good few chances for either side.. depends who takes them.

There's going to be chances on Sunday, I just hope we take them. Sakho and Moreno will give us chances, there's no doubt about that.

Moreno not out with a hamstring?

If he is playing, he is someone I expect Martial to put rings around if left 1v1. Looked a good prospect early on but few times I've seen him since I've been less then impressed.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Moreno not out with a hamstring?

If he is playing, he is someone I expect Martial to put rings around if left 1v1. Looked a good prospect early on but few times I've seen him since I've been less then impressed.

I didn't hear anything about him picking up an injury. I hope he plays, he's the sort of player you are just waiting for his next mistake. Obviously he will give a defensive masterclass now I've said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

375063.jpg

That's pretty sad tbh.

Obv players are happy with a few extra grand but it's still pretty sad.

gosplan wrote: »
    That's pretty sad tbh.

Obv players are happy with a few extra grand but it's still pretty sad.

Yeah, I'm crying here :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Most players probably have people to do the tweeting for them so it was probably their management that got the memo.

Not so worried about Liverpool's midfield overrunning ours, it was the sheer athleticism and power Newcastle had in the likes of Sissoko, Wijnaldem (no idea how to spell his name) and Tiote that caused problems, Liverpool don't have the same type of players. I am worried about which Firmino turns up, he could pose Blind and Smalling all sorts of problems or he could be totally anonymous, I expect Benteke to cause problems alright.

Van Gaal's comments are spot on, we do need controlled aggression, I hope Fellaini is kept in check to an extent if he plays, which he probably will given the players missing. Last thing we need is someone doing something stupid, Liverpool can be got at, they are shambolic at the back (que defensive masterpiece) and though it is the first time he has faced a Klopp led Liverpool he has got a good track record since he came to England v Liverpool.

Liverpool under Klopp have been poor most of the time in all honesty, but they have had their big performances against the bigger teams so are well capable of getting the win over us, hoping Rooney puts in a big performance and Martial gets a few chances to learn how to control the ball after his second touch which has been so frustrating lately when he over does it or just has a loose touch, he must be in line for a rest soon in fact. Could be good for him.

I see Mata coming back in to the team and wouldn't mind a cm and forward line made up of Morgan, Herrera, Fellaini, Mata, Martial and Rooney.

Preferably more of a 433 variant with Morgan sitting deepest allowing Fellaini and Herrera to get forward to support the play when opportunities present themselves.

Even a diamond with Morgan at the bottom and Mata at the top, Martial and Rooney as a partnership up top. I have loads of United/Liverpool supporting friends who actually hate this game and can't wait till its over but for me its always two of the highlights of the season and I can't wait for it. The emotional rollercoaster normally manages to capture everything it is to be a football fan in 90 odd minutes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Why is it so sad to see players tweet about a film? Do people think Utd's commercial dealings really have any negative effect on the pitch?

Besides, at least they're tweeting about a decent film, it could be so much worse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Why is it so sad to see players tweet about a film? Do people think Utd's commercial dealings really have any negative effect on the pitch?

Besides, at least they're tweeting about a decent film, it could be so much worse :)

We're kind of shít at the moment so every little thing is nitpicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

It's not just the players, I remember seeing "The Revenant" getting it's own spot on the board LVG stands at for his pre/post-match interviews.

It's all about getting Ronaldo back, we now have a studio lined up to film his sequel and everything.

OctavarIan wrote: »

it just doesnt sit right with me, something strange about it. wouldnt expect everybody to agree, but at the same time theres plenty of people who would understand what i mean.

ill put it to you this way, if Roy Keane as captain, i cant imagine he would have been allowing players to be dictated to like that. while this club has always had a commercial element, this is a new one.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    We're kind of shít at the moment so every little thing is nitpicked.

not at all, regardless of results its just a little bit strange - 1 or 2 at a time is no problem, but 8? its just a bit much.

theres many people, fans, punditcs,former players etc etc who are worried about the direction of the club (ie financial profit is now the priority as opposed to winning trophies) since Gill and Fergie left.

• Advertisement

It's no different than the more traditional advertising.
    What's sadder, tweeting that you're going to see a movie or saying stuff like "va va voom" or "because I'm worth it"
    Or worst of all, standing there while a crowd sings "there's no dandruff" to the tune of a 2Unlimited song to you?

What's sadder, tweeting that you're going to see a movie or saying stuff like "va va voom" or "because I'm worth it"
    Or worst of all, standing there while a crowd sings "there's no dandruff" to the tune of a 2Unlimited song to you?

thats fine, players have been doing individual stuff like that for years and weve been sending 2 or 3 lads here and there to addidas, chevrolet and these type of things. but this in my opinion is different, what looks like a club directive to our players that they collectively have to do something and it just doesnt inspire me with confidence about where the club is going.

its just a bit strange, for the sake of whats probably F*ck all compared to our revenue.

now as i said, i dont expect everybody to agree, im not going to get into arguing with people over it, some agree, some dont.

in isolation, its not a big deal by any means and the least of our problems right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Take it from an Arsenal fan that knows. The only priority can be winning matches.

The minute a club and the playing staff take on another priority, like building a new stadium, winning matches isn't as important.

Just my theory though.

Players want to play, they want to win, they want to make money.

They also have people who handle their social media accounts and deal with **** like this so they don't have to.

I can see how building a new stadium can impact on transfer policy, but not on whether or not a player wants to play well and win, building a new stadium is never going to be a priority for a player. Personal glory and team success is all they care about. Always.

As Arsenal was mentioned, they are a fantastic model to look at really from a business point of view. They are in a fantastic position financially going forward and have no fears of having to rely on a sugar daddy to keep them competitive. Wenger deserves a lot of credit for managing to keep them competitive while the purse strings were clearly being tightened to pay for the stadium etc

So yeah, the players are not prioritizing promoting a movie tbh. They have a team that handles that kind of stuff. A well paid team I'm sure!

gosplan wrote: »
    Take it from an Arsenal fan that knows. The only priority can be winning matches.

The minute a club and the playing staff take on another priority, like building a new stadium, winning matches isn't as important.

Just my theory though.

I'm sure the 5 seconds that a player or PA took to compose a tweet won't become the priority over winning football matches.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement